Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:13:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Verbwhores Christmas gift ideas

Started by 23 Daves, November 22, 2007, 08:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

23 Daves

Quote from: Captain Crunch on November 26, 2007, 09:10:35 PM

- Charity gifts - either a donation in their name or one of those buy a goat schemes run by Oxfam.

I ask for these nowadays, but don't always get given them because "you must want something to open!"  And they've made it clear they do not wish to participate in such schemes.

Quote- Locally grown fruit / veg / meat or locally produced gifts.  A similar idea, helping the local economy on behalf of someone else.

They live in Southend.  They are quite right wing.  They do not care.  This would get bemused looks. 

Quote- Magazine subscriptions.

I got my Dad a subscription to Private Eye one year, he never really seemed overly enthusiastic about it, to be honest.

Quote- Get the whole family to pool the gift budgets and go on holiday for the festive period.

Absolutely no way!  I'm putting my foot down now.  And so's my wife.

Quote- Time IOUs.  Little homemade vouchers for babysitting, lifts for the non-drivers and so on.  This sounds dangerously close to the blow-job vouchers they were selling in Bhs (of all places) a couple of years ago.

Not a bad idea this, I might give it some thought.

Quote- Jacking in the whole gift thing and going to help in a homeless shelter or something.

And this.

Quote- Gift challenges.  You all agree to spend the same amount, say £5 and compete to see who can buy the most hideous jumper from a charity shop or most useless thing from the poundshop.

Nope.  They like tat, but it has to be tat worth a lot of money (my brothers especially here).  They'd never see the funny side of something like this.  It's not what they outgrew their working class roots for. 

QuoteLastly, if you have family that are always complaining of clutter, why not offer to flog some of their stuff on eBay?  They get a bit of cash and an empty spare room and you just have to put a bit of time in.

I've already done that, unfortunately.  Well no, correction, I cleared a spare room ages ago with the intention of sticking the stuff on ebay, but at present all the stuff remains stuck in my room for now.  Must sort that out.

These are perfectly sensible gift ideas for anyone else you could think of, though.  Good ideas for ethically minded people who don't take themselves too seriously and aren't too precious about the whole period.  But my family are about as much fun as a turn on a bouncy castle with Stephen Hawking.

jennifer

I just had a good idea for a present, buy someone a Bet.

For the last three years a friend of mine has sworn Whitney Houston is going to die of a crack overdose 'this year' and every year it pisses me off that you can't put a bet on people dying, because it would be great to get that betting slip and put it in a frame.

You can bet on all manner of weird things though, so you can give someone a very personal and silly present for a fiver - and if they win they get even more money.

Fry

As well as presents for all of my friends, I am going to give them all 5 homemade "Jordan Trading Cards".. Picture cards with me in different poses, with random attributes on each one, along with rules to a game they can play with them. I have started work on them now. This is going to be the best christmas ever.

Does anyone know the rules on buying things for people that they will actually like as opposed to what you want them to like.