Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:40:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Air- Talkie Walkie : Your comments

Started by Vermschneid Mehearties, February 04, 2004, 06:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vermschneid Mehearties

Go the album a week ago. Cherry Blossom Girl is the huge huge standout track on this album. Quite possibly my favourite track at the moment. Aren't they releasing it as a single? (Or have they, and has it depressingly flopped?)

Venus, the starting track has some really interesting music going on, which I like, and Run, which seemed cheesy now seems great, as the echoing persistent snyth really catches up with you.

Universal Traveler (Mm...It's spelt Traveler?) however is fairly bog standards, though the following track Mike Mills is good.

I can't stomach Surfing on a Rocket. Even if they are french and you have to give a bit of leeway for tacky cheese.

Another Day- Good. Very catchy actually. Quite downbeat, but catchy.

8&9 are fairly average.

The last track Alone in Kyoto is superb. I love Air's instrumentals. They haven't done a poor one yet I can think of.

I'd give the track a good 7/10 so far (considering I like 7 and dislike 3, that seems fair), and would easily buy anything else Air come out with in the future.
Actually, Run is on at the moment. AaaaaahrunrunrunrunrunrunrunrunhaaaaaAA

Anyone else buy this? (Or *get it*)

listened to it yesterday all i can about it  IS PIECE OF SHIT !.  it might grow on me but so can a cancerous growth, and there's more chance of me loving that.

Vermschneid Mehearties

*raised eyebrow*

Hmm. I don't blame you if you don't like AIR full stop. I'm intrigued as to why you'd hate it if you liked the last two albums, though. It seems to have brought everything together, and it has a real identity and mood.

I think I'd rate it higher than 10000Hz Legend actually. Though not Moon Safari.

its like a boring cover version of moon safari, done by a third-rate AIR tribute band from pakistan.  i like most of there albums but  not this one .

Vermschneid Mehearties

Oh crumbs. They really messed up Surfin on a Rocket. Everything except the chorus is brilliant.  Excellent, and simple echoey guitar riff in it as well. Grr.

Dr David V

I got this on Monday, but I haven't listened to it yet. The reviews I've read have all been good, and the fact that I could only find a single copy of it in one shop in the whole of Colchester seemed to indicate that it was rather popular. Oh, and I love 10,000 Mhz Legend, so I'm looking forward to this.

i might give it another listen  tonight on the ipod when im asleep

Vermschneid Mehearties

It's most certainly a mixture of the two. Tracks like Venus, Mike Mills and Another Day sound 10000Hz Legend-esque, wheras Run, Universal Traveller and Alone in Kyoto..definately reminiscent of Moon Safari.

It's got it's own feel though, which is good.

splattermac

a recent article (jockeyslut) said back in the motherland old Johnny Frogslegs didn't really rate Moon Safari but loved 10000 Hz and to paraphrase Air themselves 'the French like awful music'

I can understand the comments about a poor man's Moon Safari, it is a bit full circle, it's not too bad though and it probably will grow on you,

VM it is the single and there's a version with vocals by Hope Sandoval

Here you go rightclicksavetargetas

That Dutch site I'm always chuntering on about hosted the full album to listen to in Flash format but it lasted about 8 days before it was removed, it probably got hammered.

The uncensored video link again http://www.intairnet.org/newair/archive/quicktime.html?vid=cherry.mov

also,

the new Zero 7 album bears an uncanny resemblance to air's moon safari

more http://www.zero7.co.uk/

weekender

I've kept it as an album, which for me means that I actually like at least some of it.

All I can remember is that 'Cherry Blossom Girl' is amazing, very evocative of Black Box Recorder at their height.

I wish I had time to properly listen to albums.  I love music *and* comedy though, so bearing in mind my work/social commitments, I really don't have enough time to give these things the consideration that they're due.

Vermschneid Mehearties

Cheers to splatter for hosting that link. My brother loves Hope Sandoval and yet seriously can't stand Air. Maybe this will turn him. I'm not sure which version I prefer! :D (Though H.S always seems to use a harmonica).

As for the video, i'll be downloading that soon.

After a few more listens to Talkie Walkie, I have to say that Run is an equally fantastic song to CBG, and I like Surfing on a Rocket a little bit more, though I still find the chorus apallingly cheesy.

EDIT- The video was fairly good too!

EDIT2- Don't you just love that Assault on Precinct 13 style synth halfway through. I'm almost tempted to say 'Lovin' it'. Though I won't.

morgs

Totally unexpectedly the best cd I have bought in some time...  Very chilling.  Love first 3 tracks inparticular.

imitationleather

I gave it a proper listen to today and I think it's fantastic. Surfing on a Rocket is probably my favourite, but I also love Mike Mills. It very much suited the mood I was in today.

Vermschneid Mehearties

I like Surfing on a rocket a little more. The chorus still means that I feel embarrassed when it's on with anyone I have a close relationship with, but I'm fine with it in private.
The guitar riff during the verses are excellent too.

Hope Sandoval's version of Cherry Blossom Girl went down a treat with my brother, so cheers for that splattermac. Oh, and I like it too, though the album version is superior.

hoverdonkey

I'd like to register my approval of it. Don't know the names of the tracks because it's on loop in the car at the minute - especially driving home on a late.

Vermschneid Mehearties

I've just ripped the CD to my Xbox. The two tracks I haven't put on are Universal Traveler which I find mundane, and Alpha Beta Gaga which I find a little annoying.

Another success from Air, and a happy medium between the first and second albums.

Vermschneid Mehearties

Just listening to this again as I write.

Good god, Alone In Kyoto really is brilliant. Probably the best final track on an album since Dilmun on The Orb's Bicycles & Tricycles (Which is coming out in the UK in May...although it has been released for a year already which is extraordinary)

I can't really say I dislike any track apart from Alpha Beta Gaga which I find annoying. Apart from that, Universal Traveler (grr..MISSPELLING) is a bit bland.

I'd definately recommend this if you don't own it already.

garlicberet

its quite very excellent... I probably still prefer "10000hz Legend" but Godrich has waved his magical musical finger once again...

Vermschneid Mehearties

10000Hz legend had tracks you'd either adore or despise. I hated The Vagabond, Radio #1, People in The city and one half of Sex Born Poison.

I loved Electronic Performers, Don't be Light, Lucky and Unhappy, Radian and Caramel Prisoner.

So..mmm. This album seems to me a little more consistent, less peaks and troughs but its admirable that I can barely fault a single track.