Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:08:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Videogaming

Started by Mister Six, December 02, 2007, 10:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

The other thread seems to have degenerated into a playground argument over whether the 360 or PS3 is the worst machine, and it's apparently putting people off actually talking about games, so consider this the new home of gaming talk. And it's not restricted to next-gen stuff - if you've found a corking PS2 game second-hand or just want to recall the happy days of waiting 15 minutes for Robocop to load up then here you go!

As regular readers of the other thread may be aware, I was trying to justify the purchase of a Wii to myself recently. Well I did it and I'm very glad I did - playing Wii Sports with the girlfriend has been great fun and I expect the Wii is full of games that she'll enjoy as well, so it's nice for video games to no longer be something I have to lock myself away for. However, from a purely gaming perspective I've been utterly blown away by Paper Mario.

I wasn't sure I would enjoy it - Gamespot lists it as the 3rd best game available on the Wii (behind Super Mario Galaxy and Resident Evil 4, if you're interested) but I've never liked turn-based RPGs and felt that Mario lost a lot of the magic after going 3D.

However, I've been hooked and have racked up about 11 hours of gameplay so far, and I'm not even half way through. The turn based battling is a lot of fun - my problem with it was based on Final Fantasy 7, in which you call upon this enormous flying demon to throw down a ball of pure energy but it only does 2 HP of damage. Just all the fucking fanfare over single moves even though they do absolutely no damage compared to how grandeous they try to make it. Paper Mario keeps it short and sweet and the enemies aren't ridiculously overpowered. That's not to say there's no challenge in it either, just a perfect balance.

So yeah, Paper Mario is fucking awesome and I'm looking forward to the other 2 once I've completed this one. How do the sequals measure up? I hear Super Paper Mario tries to bring it back to the 2D platformer roots which is very exciting news for me. Does it accomplish? 

Xander

Our opinions are discussed quite a bit here:

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=16210.0

However, to sum things up - No turn based fighting, just headjumping, which is a good thing.
Far too much text, which is a bad thing.
A lot of it is relatively amusing, which is a good thing.
The later levels don't really live up to the earlier, which is a bad thing.
The game is a little too short and a little too easy, which is a bad thing.

But all in all, it's certainly worth picking up. It's very enjoyable, and whilst it doesn't reach the brilliance of the usual 2D Mario platformers, it's a worthy addition. It's just not as RPG-ey as the earlier Paper Mario games.

Artemis

The gaming discussion threads can get a bit anoraky for me, but my position is this: I used to love gaming. I had a SNES which I still consider the ultimate console, but bailed out when the Playstation started to take over and never got back into it. I'd like to, though. I bought a SNES emulator and a playstation control pad plus adaptor for my laptop a couple of years ago but ended up selling it because it's just not the same.

Marty McFly

Quote from: The Region Legion on December 02, 2007, 04:27:04 PM
felt that Mario lost a lot of the magic after going 3D.

not a fan of Super Mario 64?

I must say I'm tremendously behind on this whole Wii thing. I have a DS lite, which is fantastic, but the whole availability issue of the Wii is putting me off at the moment. maybe once they're plentiful, I'll pick one up.

if you have got a DS, mr Legion, get New Super Mario Bros!

Still Not George

From the tags:
Quoteover a year later, and 'Wii' still sounds funny

S'true, that. Just this last week I found myself giggling at the idea of "wee libraries."

Anyhow, games. I don't give a shit about yer Bioshocks and yer Mass Effects, I want Spore dammit. Spore! Now!
Wright can't just show us something like that then hide for a decade pretending to work on it, I wanna eat mutant chickens to make my giant lizardfish grow manboobs! Or something along those lines anyway.

Quote from: Marty McFly on December 02, 2007, 05:03:40 PM
not a fan of Super Mario 64?

Nope, didn't grab me at all - a friend of mine came round with the cartridge a few months ago and we spent a few hours on it but I never felt any desire to continue with it. All the indoor areas make me feel really chlostrophobic for some reason, and all in all I think Paper Mario is far superior. Makes me worried about what I'll think of Sunshine and Galaxy but considering I think some of the problem I had with 64 was due to the graphics and the camera, maybe it'll be fine.

Quoteif you have got a DS, mr Legion, get New Super Mario Bros!

If anything was tempting me to get one, it was that. However, I don't like handhelds. A hotel I was staying in had PSPs available at the desk for guests and even playing on that for half an hour or so was just annoying, constantly having to change the position of my arms, body and neck. If they could make a DS with a TV output and use the screens like a colour Dreamcast VMU could have been (maps, information etc) and also be able to take the game you're playing at home onto the road with you, then it would be worthwhile but I don't think the tech is there just yet.

_Hypnotoad_

Haha, it has degenerated into the sort of squabble you would overhear in Game on a quiet day

I have been unable to remove myself from Mass Effect for 4 days

It is up there with Mafia as one of the most engaging, enjoyable and well made games I've ever played

Incredible stuff

chand

Just been playing Assassin's Creed, I know this is an old complaint about it, but it is a bit frustrating that assassinations always end in everyone in the city trying to beat the crap out of you. It can be fun, but I just did the second assassination in Acre, the one inside the big kinda castle courtyard. I totally nailed it, I climbed up the walls and went round methodically dropping motherfuckers with throwing knives and sneaky back-stabbing, using all my top ninja styles, watched him give his speech from high on the castle walls and then quietly crept down the wall and took him out as stealthily as possible. I was feeling like the mack daddy of this stealth shit, but of course instead of being able to quietly sneak back out up the walls and coolly disappear before anyone even knows anything's gone on, as soon as the cutscene ends like six chumps are waiting patiently for their chance to try and stab me, and it just ends up being a standard fight. It would have been so cool to go in there, do the hit, and disappear, Hitman style.

thugler

Quote from: _Hypnotoad_ on December 02, 2007, 07:22:09 PM
It is up there with Mafia as one of the most engaging, enjoyable and well made games I've ever played

I loved Mafia, probably my favourite game ever, and it got me into Duke Ellington.

Marvin

Quote from: The Region Legion on December 02, 2007, 05:38:12 PM
Nope, didn't grab me at all - a friend of mine came round with the cartridge a few months ago and we spent a few hours on it but I never felt any desire to continue with it. All the indoor areas make me feel really chlostrophobic for some reason, and all in all I think Paper Mario is far superior. Makes me worried about what I'll think of Sunshine and Galaxy but considering I think some of the problem I had with 64 was due to the graphics and the camera, maybe it'll be fine.

I wouldn't bother with Sunshine, it's not terrible, but if you don't like 64 then there's really no point, it's one of the worst Mario platformers I've played.

Galaxy however is stunning, the camera and graphics problems are a thing of the past and the gameplay is very addictive, hugely inventive and just a lot of fun.

Famous Mortimer

Never played Mafia, but I might have to once my PC is hooked up and working again. Currently I'm rather enjoying Tomb Raider: Legend on the 360, never bothered with any of the other ones but I played through some of it with my mate on the PS2 so I'm going to play it through, then have a go at picking up all the gold rewards and stuff, then if I'm still feeling friendly towards it do the time trial version of the levels. I doubt it'll be as much fun as playing Resident Evil 4 through a bunch of times to get all the cool stuff (Ashley with the armour on is a load of fun to play), but I can't afford to buy owt else new.

I also like having one racing game knocking about – currently it's "Project Gotham Racing 4". I'm not really enjoying it as much as the previous incarnation, because there's such a gulf between the arcade and career versions. I can pretty much get gold on all the arcade races, which are pretty difficult, but even on the normal setting of career mode there are some race modes which I always finish last on (Time v. Kudos being the main one). Am I picking the wrong sort of car? Am I just not understanding things? Dunno. As fun as it is, and as good as the learning curve is, I'm longing for the new Need For Speed.

Anyone had a pop at Kane & Lynch yet? Looks like my cup of tea, but it's hard to tell. I am going to have a go at Blacksite too as I enjoyed the demo, but I've not seen Kane & Lynch running properly.

Mister Six

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 03, 2007, 10:31:28 AM
Anyone had a pop at Kane & Lynch yet? Looks like my cup of tea, but it's hard to tell. I am going to have a go at Blacksite too as I enjoyed the demo, but I've not seen Kane & Lynch running properly.

It's been getting a pasting from a few areas, so be wary.

Slaaaaabs

Kane & Lynch screams rental from what I've read everywhere. Disappointing really as I love the Hitman games and Freedom Fighters was a masterpiece.

Fry

Quote from: Slaaaaabs on December 03, 2007, 01:35:04 PM
Kane & Lynch screams rental from what I've read everywhere. Disappointing really as I love the Hitman games and Freedom Fighters was a masterpiece.
I am annoyed because the multiplayer seems like so much fun, but I can never justify buying something just for LIVE.

terminallyrelaxed

I don't think it needed another thread, I mean, granted, it descended into farce about every three pages, but what's to stop that happening here? Still, here we are now - entertain us!

Mister Six

Quote from: terminallyrelaxed on December 03, 2007, 03:47:56 PM
I don't think it needed another thread, I mean, granted, it descended into farce about every three pages, but what's to stop that happening here?

Just point to the old thread and say that's the one for tedious bickering about pixel shading and slowdown.

Marvin

Quote from: terminallyrelaxed on December 03, 2007, 03:47:56 PM
I don't think it needed another thread, I mean, granted, it descended into farce about every three pages, but what's to stop that happening here? Still, here we are now - entertain us!

What Mister Six said - but that thread is hardly ever actually about playing computer games, it's purely an ongoing argument and I think a lot of people would rather just rather be able to talk about the games themselves without all the sniping.

But apart from that it's quite simple, that's a thread about the hardware, this is a thread about the games.

How about a Top 1000 Games thread?

:D

quadraspazzed

Actually, I'm serious about that, though it could just be Top 100 Games I reckon...

Ok, another infantile question. What games do you like to play in bed?

I'll have to say Hotel Dusk: Room 215 is a cosily atmospheric way to wind down before sleep. The puzzles aren't too taxing and the characters are all a bit world-weary too, sends me right off.  Equally, throwing on your PJs and leaping around in Mario Galaxy has resulted in some quiet delightful psychedelic floaty dreams. Never again though with Resident Evil 4, I had nightmares almost constantly for the three weeks or so I kept playing and replaying it tucked up in my pit. The greatest of all though is Geometry Wars, lights out, headphones on, just soak up the particle effects, pulsing soundtrack and fry your mind. Some truly magnificent kaleidoscopic dreams after that, if you can fall asleep.

Marv Orange

Shouldn't the question be why aren't you playing with your cock?

quadraspazzed

QuoteOk, another infantile question. What games do you like to play in bed?

Snake. And no that's not a euphemism - it's the only decent game on my phone, and my phone is the only handheld device I have. Apart from my cock, obviously.

Quote from: Marv Orange on December 03, 2007, 08:40:10 PM
Shouldn't the question be why aren't you playing with your cock?

Well after dawn wank, elevenses wank, high tea wank, snack wank and turd/wank supper combo, I scarcely have enough left for a wank, so I play computer games. Anyway, I'm off for a post-prandial special. Have a good wank!

chand

Never heard people saying really positive things about Mafia before, it got really lukewarm reviews at the time so I never bothered with it.

Slaaaaabs

Quote from: chand on December 03, 2007, 08:56:12 PM
Never heard people saying really positive things about Mafia before, it got really lukewarm reviews at the time so I never bothered with it.

It really is a great game, captures the atmosphere perfectly. It's a better Godfather game than the Godfather game.

lardboy

Quote from: The Boston Crab on December 03, 2007, 08:34:00 PM
Never again though with Resident Evil 4, I had nightmares almost constantly for the three weeks or so I kept playing and replaying it tucked up in my pit.

Silent Hill Origins.  Really not a good idea to play it before you turn out the lights.  Made especially bad because I've been sleeping back in my parents house following a death in the family.  I only played for one night, but it shat me up right proper.

Now I'm playing Puzzle League on the DS before sleeping, and the "Clear" single player option is just long enough for me to be properly tired by the end of it.  My best time is about 20 minutes, but usually it's about 4/5 more than that. 

Mojo Flopcock

Quote from: The Region Legion on December 02, 2007, 05:38:12 PMIf anything was tempting me to get one, it was that. However, I don't like handhelds. A hotel I was staying in had PSPs available at the desk for guests and even playing on that for half an hour or so was just annoying, constantly having to change the position of my arms, body and neck. If they could make a DS with a TV output and use the screens like a colour Dreamcast VMU could have been (maps, information etc) and also be able to take the game you're playing at home onto the road with you, then it would be worthwhile but I don't think the tech is there just yet.

I have a PSP & a DS (lite) and although the PSP is a far more powerful bit of kit I've used the DS daily and rarely touch the PSP. The DSlite is VERY comfortable to hold and the there's a really fantastic library of unique games. I really don't think I've used a games machine as much since the days of the Speccy and I've been an avid gamer since those days. It's almost certainly my favourite 'console' at the moment and I'm almost evangelical about the thing since it's turned on several members of my family to gaming to the point they almost game more than I do. It's a lovely thing, that DS lite.

In fact the DS has really relit my enthusiasm for Nintendo. I've always bought N's consoles since the NES but with the DS and Wii around at the moment (and the utterly fantastic Mario Galaxy) I think I'm turning into an actual Nintendo fanboy. It's worrying. They've really extended the appeal of games in a way I could never have expected a few years back and although some 'hardcore' gamers are strangely offended by 'casual' gaming I'm feeling that gaming is finally breaking out at the moment and attracting a huge diversity of people into gaming. I can have an hour long conversation with my auntie about Paper Mario or OOT now! She's even finished Majora's Mask (which is more than I've done) and it's entirely down to Nintendo. I never thought I'd see the day!

So, in short, everyone who doesn't have a DS should buy one.

As I may have said elsewhere, I think the DS has the best library of games since the PS1. I've been enjoying it so much, I deliberately miss the first bus to work and arrive late so I can play without having to talk to anyone I know. Pleasantries vs. Puyo Pop Fever? Only one winner. Until I get the sack.

Also, my bro just got himself a PS3. My other bro and I are thinking about getting him a game for Chrimble. I've quite enjoyed a bash on my friend's PS3 just for the audio-visual pizazz, Motorstorm really does look next-gen but I'm wondering what the absolutely crucial PS3 game would be - I haven't yet encountered anything I'd want to play for more than ten minutes. Any suggestions appreciated, gents.