Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:04:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Videogaming

Started by Mister Six, December 02, 2007, 10:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Father O`Blivion

Mortal Kombat makers Midway have gone bally belly up.

Still Not George

Quote from: Father O`Blivion on February 16, 2009, 05:22:57 AM
Mortal Kombat makers Midway have gone bally belly up.
They've only filed for bankruptcy, not folded, but yeah - they're pretty fucked.

Oh no! No more... er.... shit beat em ups?

Oh, apparently they were in involved with Unreal Tournament, that was quite good.

Neil

Nyeh, it was spammy and you didn't need any actual skill to rack up kills.  It was alright for a quick blast with an instagib mod, but it was certainly no Quake III Arena.

glitch

Quote from: Neil on February 16, 2009, 12:14:01 PM
Nyeh, it was spammy and you didn't need any actual skill to rack up kills.  It was alright for a quick blast with an instagib mod, but it was certainly no Quake III Arena.

You're right, it had genuinely good level design and great gameplay modes out of the box, something you can't say about Quake since Quake2.

There's a reason why iD Software are treated as great game engine makers but poor game developers. EPIC have come a long way and I've yet to see them really put a foot wrong other than UT2K3 - although if I'm honest, I've not played all of the Unreal games.

Neil

Quote from: glitch on February 16, 2009, 12:38:34 PM
You're right, it had genuinely good level design and great gameplay modes out of the box, something you can't say about Quake since Quake2.

I used to load up Rocket Arena, fire up some mp3s, and just trickjump my way around the maps for ages.  That game got the FEELING and PHYSICS so perfect that, for me, it didn't even particularly need the combat at times.  Just the movement was fun on its own*. I can't wait for Quake Live to go public, wish I'd managed to get into the beta.  I still play Q3A occasionaly, although it suffers from that thing where all the guys on it now have been playing it almost non-stop for a decade, and they can hammer the living crap out of you.

* Thankfully, the likes of Nintendo seem to be cottoning onto this these days - control is where most of the innovation SHOULD be, fuck the graphics whores who've always been over-pampered anyway.  I remember watching a games documentary in the mid-90's where the guy who made Ecco The Dolphin talked brilliantly about the controls in games, and how great it was when it reached the point where you could do complicated things while barely even thinking about them. 

So is Left 4 Dead good then? Because this weekend discount on Steam is still valid for some reason and I'm tempted just because of all the good stuff I hear about it, but I played the demo and thought it was pretty dull frankly. Thinking maybe playing from start to finish will get me more into the atmosphere though. Thoughts?

no_offenc

Were you playing with other people over the internet?  You really need to.  The full game is great online.  Versus mode (where you get to either be a survivor or one of the special infected) is fucking great fun too.

Quote from: no_offenc on February 16, 2009, 06:54:10 PM
Were you playing with other people over the internet?  You really need to.  The full game is great online.  Versus mode (where you get to either be a survivor or one of the special infected) is fucking great fun too.

I bought it before your reply figuring the same thing. It's not really that great a deal for me (almost £20, only £5 cheaper than the hard copy from Game) but being based in a foreign land these days, where gaming is a much more exclusive and therefore expensive commodity, I managed to justify it to myself. It's downloading as we speak, then it's time for some zombie slaughterin'.

ThickAndCreamy

TheRegionLegion, I bought L4D yesterday, I'll give you a game on steam later if you want at all, I don't have a microphone or anything like that mind. Tell me when you've downloaded it, my SteamID is TheUrinalCake

Everyone feel free to add me if you ever want to play Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead or even Counter Strike Source if you're feeling completely soulless.

Quote from: ThickAndCreamy on February 16, 2009, 09:12:57 PM
SteamID is TheUrinalCake

Tried searching for this, it couldn't find it?

no_offenc

Ooh.  People should add me as well, my Steam Community name is btmnky.  I may be up for some Left 4 Dead tonight.  Not played it in ages thanks to GTA IV and Burnout Paradise so I may be rusty but it'll be fun to blast some infected scum anyway.

ThickAndCreamy

The Region Legion, my id is directly linked to here - http://steamcommunity.com/id/fdgdgdfgfdg
Searching on the steam community website works, for some reason searching after pressing the add friend button on the friends pop up doesn't work.

Even a CookdAndBombd group, nice. Never thought to look.

Probably busy tonight but perhaps we can all get together for some Zombie fun tomorrow.

ThickAndCreamy

Team Fortress 2 is now £6.99 on Steam until Friday.

If you don't buy it, you're a fool.

Slaaaaabs

Quote from: ThickAndCreamy on February 25, 2009, 06:54:21 PM
Team Fortress 2 is now £6.99 on Steam until Friday.

If you don't buy it, you're a fool.

9.99 in Euros. Fucking cunts.

If anyone wants to give it a go before buying it, first person to give me a PM gets my guest trial pass.

Lee Van Cleef

Got Dawn of War 2 today, played a couple fo the training missions and enjoyed them even if it felt a little bit too busy at times.

And joined some stupid group on Steam too, not sure why, DoW2 is the only game I have that's compatible, though I may buy CounterStrike at some point and relive the dream.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I've haven't been playing many games of late, but I'm a bit less busy now so I just ordered that Fallout 3. I'm not sure why I chose it; I've never been big on those turn based RPGs, but then again I've heard it's a bit more action oriented than others and I like the sound of the branching story stuff so hopefully I won't be disappointed.

Speaking of disappointing, my copy of Half-Life 2 has gone kaput. The rest of the Orange Box works fine, but HL2 quits out at the point that the Valve logo would normally come up. Does anyone have any ideas? I've tried reinstalling the game and Steam, but it still isn't working.

glitch

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 27, 2009, 02:31:49 AM
I've haven't been playing many games of late, but I'm a bit less busy now so I just ordered that Fallout 3. I'm not sure why I chose it; I've never been big on those turn based RPGs, but then again I've heard it's a bit more action oriented than others and I like the sound of the branching story stuff so hopefully I won't be disappointed.

It's not really turn-based and you can completely ignore the VATS-system (which is the bit that's close to turn-based). My current character just hits things with his fists, so I never need to use it.

Lee Van Cleef

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 27, 2009, 02:31:49 AM

Speaking of disappointing, my copy of Half-Life 2 has gone kaput. The rest of the Orange Box works fine, but HL2 quits out at the point that the Valve logo would normally come up. Does anyone have any ideas? I've tried reinstalling the game and Steam, but it still isn't working.

are you using a 64 bit OS? the 64 bit version seems to have gone tits up. If so, right click the game in your steam games list, choose properties, then launch options and in the box put -32bit

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

No, it's the plain old 32bit version of XP. But thanks.

The game was working one day and then the next it just wasn't. I've tried verifying the cache in Steam and I just uninstalled it, cleaned the registry and reinstalled, but it's still not working. It's a mystery.

Table Top Joe

Anyone looking forward to Empire Total War coming out next week?

NoSleep

Quote from: Neil on February 16, 2009, 12:53:17 PMI can't wait for Quake Live to go public

Now

Damn, I have to wait for the Mac version.

wasp_f15ting

I got a ps3 for that flower game..

Wow, it is soo therapeutic , mix between rez and pilotwings.

I also picked up killzone 2 which is sooo pretty. I love the dystopian sci-fi feel of the game.

MGS4 and LBP were amidst the bundle I got.

Out of all the games, Flower is the one that makes me really happy.. Shame it didnt come on XBL marketplace.

Still Not George

Quote from: Table Top Joe on February 28, 2009, 03:40:56 AM
Anyone looking forward to Empire Total War coming out next week?

Yes, a lot, although I've not pre-ordered as I'm fucked off about this "special forces edition" malarky. Seriously, that's just taking the piss, putting up a 15 quid extra version with more units in it.

Rubbish Monkey

Quote from: wasp_f15ting on February 28, 2009, 04:54:02 PM
I also picked up killzone 2 which is sooo pretty.

The top down multiplayer battle history play thingy on killzone.com is amazing

wasp_f15ting

FUCK.. Empire Total War has got 9.5 /10.. another game to buy. Does looks amazing.. I think if you like RTS it is hard to avoid this gane. Though I think I might buy it a bit later down the line as I have so many games to complete.

Brigadier Pompous

What are the chances of it having half decent AI and not being horribly bugged?  Pretty slim I'd say after rome and medieval 2...