Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:10:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Videogaming

Started by Mister Six, December 02, 2007, 10:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Quote from: The Boston Crab on December 04, 2007, 07:52:35 AMAlso, my bro just got himself a PS3. My other bro and I are thinking about getting him a game for Chrimble. I've quite enjoyed a bash on my friend's PS3 just for the audio-visual pizazz, Motorstorm really does look next-gen but I'm wondering what the absolutely crucial PS3 game would be - I haven't yet encountered anything I'd want to play for more than ten minutes. Any suggestions appreciated, gents.

I've heard very good things about Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. The closest videogaming has come to an Indiana Jones-like Hollywood blockbuster, apparently. Although I have a 360, so I haven't played it myself.

Famous Mortimer

I just found a copy of "Mafia" in my local Gamestation for 99p (no box, just a disc and a manual). If it's crap, I will take my 99p in your blood. Or just post a snide review on here.

Quote from: Mister Six on December 04, 2007, 10:23:51 AM
I've heard very good things about Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. The closest videogaming has come to an Indiana Jones-like Hollywood blockbuster, apparently. Although I have a 360, so I haven't played it myself.

Ah yeah, Edge were pretty positive about that too...I knew there was one I'd forgotten. I'll see if I can play-test it first at my mate's. Can't think of much else though right now, though.

Clone Army

Re: Drakes Fortune.

That video game program that's on Bravo sometimes, the one with the disembodied voice, did a whole bloody program on Drakes Fortune and it just looked like some generic third-person action game. Pretty much all of the footage was the main charcter running around a jungle taking cover behind convenient waist-high walls and barrels ala Gears of War or Any Tom Clancy Game Ever, the climbing bits looked very restrictive and sub-Tomb Raider and the token on-rails shooting out of a boat was as horrible as that description suggests.

I think Edge's score could be more appropriately interpreted as "OK". It certainly didn't seem like the eye-popping justification for buying a PS3.

Edit to add: And the developers looked like a bunch of tits. Big, blacklight having, beanbag sitting dorks.

Hmm, sounds like I may have to make my mate buy it so I can try it out first. Any alternatives?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Pitfall.
Spoiler alert
[close]

Rolf Harris

I don't think I've seen too many people mention it, but I've been playing Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare on PS3. I sped through the single player story in one weekend - short as it was, I was still blown away. Amazing production values, great little one-off missions (the A310(?) thermal vision bombing, for example), just incredible fun.

So since that I've been avidly playing online, which is equally good fun. The rank system is perfectly organised, unlocking weapons and perks as you progress. The only downside are the... um... occasional problems that have been occurring with the online section. Difficulty and long waits in joining games, and ranks being reset - although both seem to be improving now.

I've got Uncharted preordered so should be playing that Thursday/Friday. I wasn't overly impressed with the short downloadable demo from the PSN Store, but the reviews seem to have been pretty great so I went ahead and ordered anyway.

terminallyrelaxed

Quote from: Rolf Harris on December 04, 2007, 03:00:07 PM
IThe only downside are the... um... occasional problems that have been occurring with the online section. Difficulty and long waits in joining games, and ranks being reset - although both seem to be improving now.

Really? There hasn't been any of that on the 360 version, in the few weeks I've had it its hung going into a game twice, and with an average of 20 games a night thats not bad. The biggest problem is games ending abruptly when the host quits because his team is losing and he's a big girl who likes chugging knobs, and apparently theres an update in the offing, well, they've said it will be fixed in the update, which hasn't been given a date yet, which says to me "yes we are aware of the problem, but we don't know how to fix it yet", but apparently it will just select another host if that happens. Why they thought single-host games were acceptable in this day and age I'll never figure out. I will only miss the reactions of the other players, when this happened to me last night I heard the most Steven Wright deadpan "this is the gayest shit ever." with such matter-of-fact resignation that I spat out my squash.

Rolf Harris

Check any of the PS3 forums all over the net to see enraged players going on about it (including me). It is improving, but the first weekend was terrible. I think the servers basically just got overloaded by the sheer number of people trying to get on.

The rank reset is a weird one... it was occasionally happening to a few people over the first month or so, then last weekend it seemed to explode and loads of people's ranks were dropped - I think basically any achievements made in that weekend just didn't get saved. Although, again, that seems to fixed now.

And yes, there are always amusing comments made when a host ends a game. Although, I don't know what the Xbox Live chat is like in this game, but on the PS3 you usually always end up in a game with someone who is racist, totally brain dead, or both. Which can make for some amusing quips here and there.

matt

Sounds very much like the Xbox Live COD4 community, except I'd imagine Xbox is more US populated then PS3?

Online COD4 on 360 also had major issues for the first few days - think they just underestimated how many people would be on at once. All got sorted within a week though and I've not had a single problem since in many many games.

I would be breaking things if my rank suddenly dropped though - I am so close to unlocking the G36C and Overkill perk!

chand

Quote from: Rolf Harris on December 04, 2007, 03:00:07 PM
I don't think I've seen too many people mention it, but I've been playing Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare on PS3. I sped through the single player story in one weekend - short as it was, I was still blown away. Amazing production values, great little one-off missions (the A310(?) thermal vision bombing, for example), just incredible fun.

Agreed, of all the next-gen games I've played so far, COD4 is the most impressive. As well as being a well-designed, very playable game, it's really an immersive experience, and as close to essential as it gets, if only to marvel at the graphical capabilities. Of the PS3 exclusive titles so far, my favourite has been Ratchet & Clank: Tools Of Destruction, which is just fun all the way through, and won't disappoint if you've played any of the other games. Also has the best uses of Sixaxis I've come across so far including some neat flying sections, and a code-breaking mini-game where you tilt a circuit board in order to roll a metal ball into the right places to complete the circuit, which is better than it sounds.

Resistance is worth playing, although not as impressive as COD4, and 'Folklore' I'm still a bit undecided about, it's set in a really interesting world but I find my patience is a bit short when it comes to reading through conversations in those kind of RPGs; I intend to have a proper crack at it at some point and get into it, I got over-excited and bought a frightening amount of games so some of them have gone on the back burner for a while.

I actually really liked the Uncharted demo; it's not perfect of anything but I can see myself getting my money's worth out of it.

chocky909

Any PS3 owners downloaded PixelJunk Racers? That looks like good short burst multiplayer fun.

Rolf Harris

Quote from: matt on December 04, 2007, 05:51:56 PMI would be breaking things if my rank suddenly dropped though - I am so close to unlocking the G36C and Overkill perk!

I got to rank 40 and unlocked the P90, racked up something like 100 kills with it, then next time I logged in I was knocked back down to 39 and had to unlock the weapon again! I was fuming.

COD4 is far and away the best PS3 game right now. Looks amazing, incredibly playable - and you're right Chand; amazingly immersive. The big battle set pieces are just awesome. Resistance was about a third of the way there, but there weren't enough of the big fights. There's plenty of them in COD4, and having so much stuff going on around you really creates an amazing atmosphere.

I kind of liked the Uncharted demo... first time I went through I'd got used to COD4's 'L1 to auto-aim' mechanism, so suddenly found manual aiming a bit tricky! It is a bit Tomb-Raider-meets-Gears-of-Wars-y, but after a few run throughs I decided it was at least worth a shot, and probably my best bet for a decent game before MGS4 or GTA4. The visuals are certainly stunning.

Chocky; I haven't tried Pixel Junk Racers yet, although I'd like to hear what anyone thinks about it. I'd quite like to get a PlaystationEye so I can mess about with all those downloads on the PSN Store, but I don't think they've released the standalone camera with the Eye of Judgment game; which doesn't particularly interest me.

glitch

Ok, not sure if this thread is more appropriate.

I'm thinking about getting a 360 (preferably the elite one or whatever). Does anyone know of any decent Christmas deals on or whether I should wait until the sales?

buntyman

Yes Glitch i've just this bought one. http://www.hotukdeals.com/deal/57382/xbox-360-premium-console-halo-3-for
I don't think you'll get a better deal than that. As the console is £250 on its own rrp, 3 decent games and an extra controller for £237 is pretty good value. If you didn't want the extras, you could probably sell them all making the console on its own only about £160.

USE THE OTHER THREAD OBVIOUSLY!!!

[I am winking as I write this/]

terminallyrelaxed

Quote from: matt on December 04, 2007, 05:51:56 PM

I would be breaking things if my rank suddenly dropped though - I am so close to unlocking the G36C and Overkill perk!

Been there, done that. Like most Assault rifles its excellent with the Red Dot Sight, a lottery without.

That Xbox Live update fucked everything last night. Couldn't get into a COD4 match, or even a lobby with more than 3 people with it. Went on Halo in the end, managed not to frag myself with button-confusion. Reamed another team 3-0 in CTF on BTB, and I was so pleased with my team, I single-handedly defended (the other team kept bringing me shotguns) while they went off and got the flag, cue excitable italian "Man I lov this tim! You are all boodifull!".

matt

Yeah I had the same problems on COD4 last night, are you sure it was related to the update?
Also found my dashboard was taking a while to load since the update, although i haven't noticed anyone else saying this.

Quote from: terminallyrelaxed on December 05, 2007, 11:53:22 AM
Been there, done that. Like most Assault rifles its excellent with the Red Dot Sight, a lottery without.

What's your weapon/perk of choice then? I currently use the M4 with ACOG scope and do ok, but all that will change once i unlock the G36C/P90. Then occasionally use a sniper/shotgun depending on the level. Also looking forward to being able to spawn with a decent selection of weapons.

terminallyrelaxed

It changes. I went for a long time with the M4 and red dot. Then I went for a while with M16, red dot, and Double Tap perk which is magically increased rate of fire, it makes the three-round-burst M16 a force to be reckoned with. I got the G36 a few days ago, slogged along until I unlocked the red dot for it. I think its more accurate than the M4. I sometimes use MP5/silencer/UAV Jammer on the indoor maps, or a Shotty of some kind.

Rolf Harris

The P90 with the red dot sight is awesome. Crazy rate of fire, very powerful and huge capacity.

The acog sight seems to be mostly useless unless you're an ardent sniper.

Marv Orange

Quote from: Rolf Harris on December 05, 2007, 05:52:25 PM
The P90 with the red dot sight is awesome. Crazy rate of fire, very powerful and huge capacity.

The acog sight seems to be mostly useless unless you're an ardent sniper.

Acog sight more or less cripples me as a sniper less range and accuracy and you cant steady your sights. I do find it useful with assault rifles though.

They're going to make the acog scope more useful in a future patch though.

matt

Yeah i don't use the acog on sniper rifles, but i don't find assault rifles have enough range without it. Looking forward to that patch.

P90 with red dot sounds like am ideal all-round weapon, only 4 levels to go!

Rolf Harris

Quote from: Marv Orange on December 05, 2007, 06:16:36 PMThey're going to make the acog scope more useful in a future patch though.

Do you know specifically how they plan to change it to make it useful?

What I originally meant was that the acog is almost useful if you want to snipe with an assault rifle or machine gun. Otherwise, yes; it's utter crap.

I might try out that Double-Tap perk with the P90...

chand

Just had a go at the Kane & Lynch demo, it was very frustrating. Primarily this was because the demo didn't give the option to invert the Y axis, which is annoying as hell, so I spent most of my time looking in the wrong direction and getting killed. I'm sure one of the Hitman games didn't let you invert the controls either, although it's less of a problem when you're doing everything slowly. The cover system was too fiddly as well, nothing like as good as Ghost Recon or Rainbow Six.

Got Uncharted today and played a fair bit of it, I think it's really good now. Puzzles haven't been particularly taxing so far, but the controls are intuitive enough, the graphics are great and I'm even enjoying the cheesy dialogue.

Rolf Harris

I got Uncharted on Thursday. Despite being a bit underwhelmed by the demo, I really like the game. While there are sections where the combat can drag and become frustrating thanks to wave after wave of enemies, most of the time it's very enjoyable.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I've got a new PC ready to arrive. It's not top of the range but it should do the business for a few new games.

I've decided to try Sim City Societies and I want to order TV Giant and PeaceMaker. And Oblivion, obviously.

Is Medieval: Total War II worth getting?

I checked out the disk space needed for games these days and it's ridiculous, 12 gig or something for Crysis!

Could anyone recommend any new games on the management/modern RPG/sci-fi side?

Marv Orange

The Witcher is a fantastic game with a good story line and unlike Good/evil choice games like KOTOR every choice you make is morally murky and the ramifications arent seen for a good few hours in to the game. Days and days worth of gameplay (if you do the side missions as well).

The combat system is a bit simplistic but works for me and there is quite a bit of loading when leaving areas which hopefully will bit reduced when the new patch comes out. (The loading times didnt bug me too much).

I really wouldn't bother with oblivion its pretty but it does get a bit repetitive and the scaling system of world is crap although there are mods that can adjust everything.

Sim City Societies is utter pish its sim city for children theres no taxes so you have unlimited funds to build a city which provides no challenge.

Crysis you may like, I didnt.

Try out call of duty 4, the main mission is pretty short but the mutiplayer is fun and frantic

Quote from: matt on December 05, 2007, 07:01:07 PM
Yeah i don't use the acog on sniper rifles, but i don't find assault rifles have enough range without it. Looking forward to that patch.

The patch has made it more accurate annd a bit more forgiving the scope is usable for snipers but I find it easier to get the headshot achievements without it though on sniper rifles

Brigadier Pompous

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 08, 2007, 01:59:40 PM
Is Medieval: Total War II worth getting?

Possibly.  It looks nice, but has lots of bugs and the computer AI still can't cope with the 3D strategic map. Much like Rome:TW then.

Craig Torso

I want to get a football game for the first time since the days of ISS but don't know which to go for.  What are the actual differences between Fifa and Pro Evo nowadays?

Pseudopath

Quote from: Rolf Harris on December 08, 2007, 01:15:59 PM
I got Uncharted on Thursday. Despite being a bit underwhelmed by the demo, I really like the game. While there are sections where the combat can drag and become frustrating thanks to wave after wave of enemies, most of the time it's very enjoyable.

I'm finding Uncharted surprisingly (and pleasingly) difficult, mainly due to the paucity of ammo and the uselessness of the hand-to-hand combat (oh, I mistimed the combo...I'm dead). The graphics and presentation really are jawdropping, aren't they?