Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:35:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Manic Street Preachers

Started by Backstage With Slowdive, December 09, 2007, 10:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaydee81

I do realise that's the worst clue ever... it's driving me insane trying to work out who they were.

lipsink

Quote from: jaydee81 on December 14, 2007, 02:13:39 PM
What was that band in the late 90s with the guy with lipstick on? They were a huge Manics rip off?

King Adora? They were hyped as being the next big thing by NME for weeks with absolutely no evidence of any good songs. A truly awful period in music where Gay Dad and King Adora were being worshipped in desperation.

jaydee81

King Adora! Yes! 50 points to you!

LeboviciAB84

Ah, buggerit – I thought Slinkyhead had finally warranted their second-ever Cook'd And Bomb'd mention.

Backstage With Slowdive

Quote from: thehungerartist on December 14, 2007, 02:04:50 PM
Have never known of other bands citing the Manics as an influence, which considering the breadth of their back catalogue is strange indeed.

thehungerartist [former Manics obsessive]

Ikara Colt said they felt cheated by them, and consequently they stuck to their own promise to split after 5 years. Terris had a go at them as well. Ideal (of Richey Is Dead infamy) were similar to the Simon Price-approved bands that love MSP.

purlieu

Quote from: lipsink on December 14, 2007, 02:21:02 PM
King Adora? They were hyped as being the next big thing by NME for weeks with absolutely no evidence of any good songs. A truly awful period in music where Gay Dad and King Adora were being worshipped in desperation.
My housemate and I listened to the first King Adora album a few weeks back, playing 'spot the influence'.  It seemed to go Manics, Suede, Placebo, Manics, Suede, Placebo, Manics, Suede, Placebo, Manics, Suede, Placebo, end.  Quite amusing.

Geraint

Quote from: purlieu on December 15, 2007, 02:33:06 AM
  My housemate and I listened to the first King Adora album a few weeks back, playing 'spot the influence'.  It seemed to go Manics, Suede, Placebo, Manics, Suede, Placebo, Manics, Suede, Placebo, Manics, Suede, Placebo, end.  Quite amusing.

apart from their one song (Suffocate?) that just nicked the melody from Stand Inside Your Love by the Smashing Pumpkins.

I think the reason bands aren't exactly queuing up to admit to a Manics influence is that most bands who do sound like them have been hit with the NEW MANICS!!!!!!!!! tag pretty much every time they've been written about, so when those bands fail others get the idea that it's not the best tag to have in the music press. King Adora, JJ72, Kinesis, Miss Black America - that lot must have an average age of about 12.

Ronnie the Raincoat

Quote from: jaydee81 on December 14, 2007, 02:22:04 PM
King Adora! Yes! 50 points to you!

One of the worst bands ever.

There's also Rachel Stamp from the Placebo school.  They're not so awful. 

lipsink

And let's not forget 'Cyclefly'. Jesus.

Backstage With Slowdive

King Adora described themselves as "the anti-Coldplay".

Sometimes the cure can be worse than the disease.

Phil_A

And who could forget MY VITRIOL?

Well, quite.

Actually, didn't the two girls from Shampoo originally run a Manics fan club? I think they were even in the video for "Love's Sweet Exile".

LeboviciAB84

But My Vitriol were grate! Always (Your Way) was a wonderfully rousing single. They're back now as A Secret Society, of course, sounding rather more Manicsish than ever.

Ronnie the Raincoat

Quote from: Phil_A on December 15, 2007, 08:18:59 PM
And who could forget MY VITRIOL?

Well, quite.

Actually, didn't the two girls from Shampoo originally run a Manics fan club? I think they were even in the video for "Love's Sweet Exile".

Nope, they ran the first Manics fanzine, Last Exit on Yesterday.  They were in the Little Baby Nothing video too.

My Vitriol were good!

Backstage With Slowdive

My Vitriol were just one of a bunch of completely interchangeable bands briefly lauded by the NME in the late 90s, all featuring newly-graduated streaks of piss pretending to be overwrought and emotional. Coldplay were the blandest of the lot so obviously they went on to be hugely successful.

Phil_A

Quote from: Ronnie the Raincoat on December 15, 2007, 08:35:30 PM
Nope, they ran the first Manics fanzine, Last Exit on Yesterday.  They were in the Little Baby Nothing video too.

My Vitriol were good!

Gah, how much wrongness can I get into one post? Except about My Vitriol, who I always thought were a bit dull(sorry).

lipsink

I thought JJ72 were pretty damn good though.

Spiteface

Quote from: LeboviciAB84 on December 15, 2007, 08:28:18 PM
But My Vitriol were grate! Always (Your Way) was a wonderfully rousing single. They're back now as A Secret Society, of course, sounding rather more Manicsish than ever.

That's weird, because Nicky Wire's backing band were called The Secret Society when Wire was touring his solo album.

Not the same band surely...

Someone mentioned JJ72 getting the "New Manics" tag - Definitely a Manics influence on the first album. Tracks like "October Swimmer" sound like they could have been on "Everything Must Go".  Not so much the second album though.

Murdo

Quote from: chand on December 10, 2007, 11:59:35 AM
'...now let's see if we can get anyone to admit to really liking 'Wattsville Blues'.

Heh my favourite Manics song.

Mrs Murdo is was a Manics obsessive, she's seen them 26 times for fucks sake but even she couldn't be arsed with the most recent tour. I wish they'd just split up. The solo stuff was dire but at least it's progress.

chand

Quote from: LeboviciAB84 on December 15, 2007, 08:28:18 PM

They're back as My Vitriol in fact. Although they released a limited single earlier this year under that pseudonym, they then released the EP 'A Pyrrhic Victory' as My Vitriol, and should finally have their second album out in 2008. Or 2009. For a long time, new mp3s on their myspace were attributed to the album 'Chinese Democracy'...

I really liked My Vitriol at the time, I thought it was a shame that they went on hiatus because I felt that they had a really good album in them if they'd carried on with that momentum; bit wary of new stuff from them now so many years after I was interested in them.

dredd

Quote from: ccbaxter on December 14, 2007, 01:01:29 AM
Favourite Manics B-sides, anyone? I can still be bowled over by the beauty of the "A Design For Life" back-up tracks - "Mr Carbohydrate" (a Matthew Maynard namecheck, excellent), "Dead Passive" and "Dead Trees And Traffic Islands". Though "New Art Riot", "Sepia", "R P McMurphy" and the GLR traffic-report-ruined "Prologue To History" also spring swiftly to mind here.
Their various cover versions, not so much...

I'm very fond of Never Want Again. Manics-tastic lyrics such as:

I'm feeling sick with alcohol
I'm feeling numb with stupid pain
I smell death all around our name

and

I get told I should be happy
I got no rights on how I feel

An excellent person has put it on the you-tube:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osfZT7baXDo[/youtube]

PaulTMA

The cringe-fest that is 'Billboard Beauty' by Kenesis:-

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qbyqf2uXEdw[/youtube]

"Shopping isn't creating" - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ouch.

Quote from: lipsink on December 15, 2007, 06:03:18 PM
And let's not forget 'Cyclefly'. Jesus.

Cyclefly's albums were always a bit of a let down.  They were fucking amazing live.  One of the most energetic things I ever saw - beaten only by the absolute chaos of At The Drive-In.

The Plaque Goblin

I'd still like copies of 'Hibernation' and 'Pedestal', if that alright.

I can offer 'Suicide Alley' and a copy of that new version of 'Motorcycle Emptiness' that was supposed to have been released in 2003 as a double A-side with 'Forever Delayed'.

LeboviciAB84

But . . . but Kinesis were marvellous! Everything Destroys Itself? And They Obey? Civilised Fury?

PAINT THE TOWN!
Paint the town red!
WITH THE BLOOD!
Of the elders . . .

quadraspazzed

Quote from: The Plaque Goblin on January 07, 2008, 12:30:27 PM
I'd still like copies of 'Hibernation' and 'Pedestal', if that alright.

I can offer 'Suicide Alley' and a copy of that new version of 'Motorcycle Emptiness' that was supposed to have been released in 2003 as a double A-side with 'Forever Delayed'.

Well here's Pedestal. Don't have Hibernation.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/q0h7x8

I'll gladly take Suicide Alley, as the only copy I have is of terrible quality.

lipsink

It always quite annoyed me when I noticed that the beautiful backing vocals on Manics songs (such as Never Want Again) were done by James Dean Bradfield too. (It credits Sean as doing them on 'Generation Terrorists' but I reckon that's as true as Richey - Guitars). I think it's just because I pictured one of the other members doing backing and having James do all the vocals is a little less exciting.

Backstage With Slowdive

Richey did a little guitar on Gold Against The Soul, nothing on anything earlier. Dunno if he played on later things.

Spiteface

Quote from: The Plaque Goblin on January 07, 2008, 12:30:27 PM
that new version of 'Motorcycle Emptiness' that was supposed to have been released in 2003 as a double A-side with 'Forever Delayed'.

I've never heard that.

Paaaaul

Quote from: Backstage With Slowdive on January 07, 2008, 05:09:29 PM
Richey did a little guitar on Gold Against The Soul, nothing on anything earlier. Dunno if he played on later things.

I knew he played on No Surface All Feeling, but didn't know (but wikipedia says it's true so it must be) that he played on La Tristesse Durera as well.

The Plaque Goblin

Pedestal, put quadraspazzed on a pa-pa-pa-pedestal · You make me feel, make me feel celestial.

Suicide Alley -192kbps, apparently.