Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 03:52:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Peter Cook Talks Golf Balls video (1994)

Started by The Plaque Goblin, April 12, 2004, 01:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Plaque Goblin

http://stabbers.truth.posiweb.net/stabbers/html/biography/biography_04.htm
Quote...It was to prove, however, Cook's last great creative spurt. A second series of A Life In Pieces was commissioned but never made and his last work as a writer/performer was a rather disappointing video, Peter Cook Talks Golf Balls (1994). Intended to build on the success of the Clive Anderson show, Cook adopted four different characters including a Major Titherly Glibble, another Streeb-Greebling clone [See P&B #12]. The results did not match those of the Clive Anderson show and interest receded.

So, is it "rather disappointing"? There seems to be a lot of them around available for a couple of quid.

For example

Neil

Yeah, it is.  There's some nice moments in it, and it's certainly worth "a couple of quid", but don't be expecting a laugh riot.  I particularly like the American golfer he plays at the end, with all the ridiculous stuff in his golf bag.  It's not that funny, but his performances are very likeable, it's a nice way to while away a boring Sunday afternoon.  Just don't approach it expecting hilarity.

Jemble Fred

Got this on e**y recently, but it just washed over me when I watched it. Probably because every word of it was printed in Pub & Bed. Shame.

The Plaque Goblin

Thanks for that, it's always nice to be made certain about when not to get my expectations up.

I've been working out what things to get next and that is one that I'm considering along with that Whoops Apocalypse movie and the Not Only But Also best of DVD. Is that worth £8.99?

Jemble Fred

As a DVD, it's worth about £3. As a piece of entertainment, it's obviously priceless. You won't be finding the old VHS anytime soon, so yes, get it.

Evil Knevil

It's not bad. It's not as if Cook was so weezy and boozed up that he couldn't work. As usual he was spot on, but it's just repetive and the material itself isn't very funny.