Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:35:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Music

Started by Frinky, February 02, 2004, 06:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frinky

Seems like an apt title to launch the forum with.

Is anyone here a fan of, to quote Q, "The Baggy Metal Groove Machine"?

Ok, so that's a terrible description. What do people think of them though? The album - I thought - was pretty great - if they'd included some of thier B-sides over the more obvious filler tracks it would have been near perfect. I'm yet to find anyone who shares this view... Will I find solace in you whores? Oh, and who has been lucky enough to see them live?

http://themusic.uk.com/tm/index.cfm

wu be eel

yeah, i like em :)

not amazingly charactered or anything but they make a very nice sound in my opinion.

I do like Take the Long Road And Walk It.  Nice intro and singing that makes Robert Plant sound almost like Iain Duncan Smith in comparison.  All I know is that it's bloody hard to search for them on google so cheers for the link

imitationleather

Didn't NME once call them the new Stone Roses? Yet more evidence than the NME are the biggest cunts ever.

Nice enough band, not really my cup of tea. Sorry, haven't got any opinons beyond that.

Doctor Stamen

I think they're bloody great and can't wait for the new album this year.  They're so much better live though.  The first time I saw them they were supporting The Charlatans in Liverpool and I couldn't believe how young they were, I think they were all about 16 at the time.

And the original version of Take The Long Road still pisses on the album version.

@ssmaster

Agreed, I was lucky enough to see them twice last year once in a very small venue and the other time on the NME stage at T in the Park. They played a new song at T in the Park it sounded pretty good. I have a soft spot for this band, mind you they do seem to of inherited all the Oasis neds as fans, shame that.

Frinky

Quote from: "Doctor Stamen"And the original version of Take The Long Road still pisses on the album version.

Funny that you should mention that, I hoped someone would. I reckon the sound on the original is spot on, but the album is a better song - it's a bit sharper and faster. I remember hearing the original on MTV2 years back and not giving much of a toss. Then the new version came on the day before I went to France and I was just blown away by that riff, for such a simple riff/setup it shat all over anything I'd really heard before and I couldn't get it out of my head.

I've just popped this link into the SDJ thread -

http://ecto-net.20m.com/miscpics/mattsebay/Raindance.mp3

This is one of my fave Music songs, would have been a much better album track than a few of the others (Float or Too High, perhaps). Like Long Road, everything comes together here really nicely.

Has anyone got the Live At Blank Canvas DVD?

(ecto-net is a bit fucky at the mo, so that might not work for a while)

Spiteface

"You Might As Well Try To Fuck Me" should have been on the album.

Along with some of the B-Sides of "The People"

Yeh I think they're pretty good.  I got into them cus the lead singer lives a few doors down from me.  I reckon they've got a fair bit to learn and they're never going to be huge but if they carry on they got life in em yet.

But then when it comes to music I know nowt.

Frinky

Would you twat him for me? I'll give ya a tenner....

Doctor Stamen

Thought this topic could do with a bump cos of this:

The Music have confirmed 11 dates across the UK for September & October 2004.

Tickets for the dates will be on general sale Saturday 3rd July at 9.30am.

The dates are as follows:

Friday 24 September
Cambridge Corn Exchange

Saturday 25 September
Southampton Guildhall

Sunday 26 September
Bristol Carling Academy

Tuesday 28 September
Cardiff University

Wednesday 29 September
Nottingham Rock City

Thursday 30 September
Sheffield Octagon

Saturday 02 October
Blackburn King George's Hall

Sunday 03 October
Newcastle Northumbria University

Monday 04 October
Edinburgh Corn Exchange

Wednesday 06 October
Birmingham Carling Academy

Thursday 07 October
London Hammersmith Palais

The tour will coincide with the release of the the band's as yet untitled second studio album in September.

The album will be preceded by a single, Freedom Fighters, in September.

BetaKarraTene

Quote from: "Doctor Stamen"Thursday 07 October
Ooh, that's the first time I've heard of a gig being played there.  It's a shame that such a legendary punk venue has been turned into a lame student disco-theque.  I'm definitely going to have to convince some mates to go to that.

The Music were my first ever gig, a couple of years ago.  I thought they were good then, but then I saw them almost exactly a year later and they completely blew me away.  Great musicianship all round.

The new song that's on their website is pretty good.  Not quite up there with The People or 'Take The Long Road but I'm still looking forward to the album.

BetaKarraTene

For anyone with cable / satellite or digital radio, the new album gets played out at 11pm-ish on XFM tomorrow.  First impressions from the 2 singles are very good. It seems they've got the production spot on this time with Brendan O'Brien - the right mix of dance and rock - and made to sound even better by the pigs ear Youth has made of the recording of Come What May which sounds really muddy (I'll forgive him though, because the new Embrace album is rather good).

A couple of tracks. The first is the original recording of Too High which puts the album version to shame, and the second is a track they did for a US radio station that (currently) doesn't appear to be getting a commercial release. They also did an acoustic song at the ICA gig called Jigsaw that  hasn't got a release and which I will attempt to encode.

Too High (Original Version)
Middle Of Nowhere (Rado Session)

EDIT: Since the London gig's long sold out, you can try and win tickets here if you're feeling lucky.

Doctor Stamen

Got the album last night through the usual sources and had it on in the car today.  It's okay at first listen, but seems to be lacking that 'dancey' element that the first one had.  It's alright though and it'll take a lot to force it (and the Kasabian album, which is a blinder) out of my car for the next week or so.

BetaKarraTene

Right, this is a tricky one. I've been listening to Welcome To The North and I can't decide which of the 2 albums is best. The new album doesn't have any filler to speak of, but there aren't any tracks like The Dance or Disco that are complete bolts from the blue (with the possible exception of Bleed From Within). A good listen either way though, plus I'm looking forward to seeing them live again this week after the show at Islington.

Lumiere

I was never keen on The Music, average guitar heavy music helped along by good production.

Frinky

Quote from: "Lumiere"I was never keen on The Music, average guitar heavy music helped along by good production.

I really wish you'd stop being a cunt.

mrpants

Quote from: "BetaKarraTene"
Quote from: "Doctor Stamen"Thursday 07 October
Ooh, that's the first time I've heard of a gig being played there.  It's a shame that such a legendary punk venue has been turned into a lame student disco-theque.  I'm definitely going to have to convince some mates to go to that.

I saw the Wildhearts there a couple of months ago - so at least all is not lost.

imitationleather

And The Paddingtons played there a few months ago n'all.

Oh yeah, and Joe Cornish saw The Wombles there in the '80s.

woollyback

Gotta admit I was so slow to get into this lot but having been to the Sheffield Octagon gig I must say they, as 'the kids' would put it, rocked big time.  

Glorified pub rock maybe, but then again there's always a place for a bit of that....(especially in pubs? Oh I dunno...)

BetaKarraTene

New dates for anyone who's interested:

Tuesday 21st December
LONDON FORUM

Wednesday 22nd Dcember
MANCHESTER APOLLO

Thursday 23rd December
GLASGOW BARROWLAND

Quote from: "imitationleather"And The Paddingtons played there a few months ago n'all.
Do they have separate rooms there, because I'm assuming that The Paddingtons didn't sell out the main area?

imitationleather

Quote from: "BetaKarraTene"
Quote from: "imitationleather"And The Paddingtons played there a few months ago n'all.
Do they have separate rooms there, because I'm assuming that The Paddingtons didn't sell out the main area?

I don't know. I was going to go but I got a bit tipsy beforehand, fell asleep and woke up after it finished. They were probably supporting some other band, or it might have been like the time I went to see The Others do a headline gig before the NME featured them everyweek at a venue far too large for them and barely anyone was there.

mayer

dunno if these links are about, but incase they aren't

QuoteThe Music Announce December Tour Dates

The Music have announced a further three UK shows to take place in the run up to Christmas 2004. Tickets for these dates are exclusively available to fans of the band now through a pre-sale using the links below.

The dates are as follows:

Tuesday 21st December
LONDON FORUM
http://www.gigsandtours.com/?link=the+music&site=themusic
Tel: +44 (0) 870 150 0044
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7403 3331
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7734 8932
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7434 2222

Wednesday 22nd Dcember
MANCHESTER APOLLO
http://www.gigsandtours.com/?link=the+music&site=themusic
Tel: +44 (0) 870 401 8000