Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:50:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Noise Rock

Started by alan nagsworth, December 15, 2007, 08:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Has this not been discussed in ages or something? The amount of people on here into My Bloody Valentine and the lark. I've done a quick search on noise rock and found nothing relevant thread-wise, so if such a thread does exist, someone point me to it.

If not, then without further ado, the noise rock thread! I don't know a lot about the origins of it but over the past year or two I've been loving bands like Liars, Oneida, Mclusky, and more recently the Oneida album 'Happy New Year' and Parts & Labor's 'Mapmaker' album, both of which are fucking ace. What I love about these bands is the hypnotic repetitive drum beats that crest on some giant wave of distorted guitars with those hypnotic vocals echoing away, it's such an awesome musical experience.

The first fix of this genre I had was being invited back to a guy's house who I didn't know too well at the time, after the sixth form party we were at had ended. (Poorly constructed sentence) I was pretty drunk, he mentioned something about a bong, which I'd never done before that point, so I took him up on it. I ended up staring at his walls while he blasted out Liars' 'They Were Wrong So We Drowned' album. Pretty scary stuff, but nevertheless it stuck in my head as some of the weirdest music I'd ever heard.
   Two years ago I went to see Liars live with the same guy, now a very good mate of mine. My god what a fucking gig! So much more intense when played live, with two of the band playing hypnotic percussion for most of the set while the lead singer was bashing his guitar and dancing about on stage like a madman. It should also be said that the main drummer was wearing a skin-tight lycra jumpsuit.

As previously mentioned, I know a lot of people here are into Sonic Youth and MBV, I bought a MBV album a year or two ago and never really got into it, I think I gave it away to a friend. Although more recently I've been a lot more open to music so can anyone recommend where I should start with that sort of stuff?

drberbatov

Backstage With Slowdive

It's a bit of a grey area, isn't it? I've always thought of stuff like Sonic Youth and MBV as "indie rock" and quite distinct from yer actual tuneless noise stuff.

There's an old Albini interview from the early 90s in which he grumbles that "industrial" has come to mean "all that Ministry disco music" whereas it originally (early 80s) meant genuinely experimental, non-melodic, non-rhythmic stuff, like SPK, Chrome, etc.

One man's meat, etc.

NoSleep

Quote from: Backstage With Slowdive on December 15, 2007, 08:39:13 PM

There's an old Albini interview from the early 90s in which he grumbles that "industrial" has come to mean "all that Ministry disco music" whereas it originally (early 80s) meant genuinely experimental, non-melodic, non-rhythmic stuff, like SPK, Chrome, etc.

One man's meat, etc.

I dunno. Chrome do tunes and use beats but in combination with other noise elements. Damn fine rock band in fact. They can rock like the Stooges when they want to.

Just looking at the Wiki of "noise rock" and it's a pretty broad church. I would suggest there's a huge number of omissions... Flipper, Dead C (and a whole bunch of other NZ bands - NoiZyLand in this case), Wolf Eyes, Cabaret Voltaire in their early days.
I may recollect some more bands later, but for now, have one of my fave clips ever...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbyYzyUPGs8

Spiteface

Quote from: nagsworth on December 15, 2007, 08:31:25 PMAs previously mentioned, I know a lot of people here are into Sonic Youth and MBV, I bought a MBV album a year or two ago and never really got into it, I think I gave it away to a friend. Although more recently I've been a lot more open to music so can anyone recommend where I should start with that sort of stuff?

If that's the sort of thing you mean, then Psychocandy by The Jesus and Mary Chain is the place to start.

when it comes to "industrial", whatever that means, I'm clueless

NoSleep

Here's the band whose single (played here almost 30 years later) Thurston Moore played to his compadres in SY and said "we wanna sound like this" - a prime influence.
The Notekillers play "The Zipper"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on4eYvGD74k
I can see myself (to the right, at the front) nodding my head to them.

monkhouse terror

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: NoSleep on December 15, 2007, 09:15:53 PM
I dunno. Chrome do tunes and use beats but in combination with other noise elements. Damn fine rock band in fact. They can rock like the Stooges when they want to.

Just looking at the Wiki of "noise rock" and it's a pretty broad church. I would suggest there's a huge number of omissions... Flipper, Dead C (and a whole bunch of other NZ bands - NoiZyLand in this case), Wolf Eyes, Cabaret Voltaire in their early days.

I would have classed Chrome as space rock and CV as industrial. Hell! I don't care really. I'm just pleased someone mentioned my two favourite bands!

thugler

Quote from: NoSleep on December 15, 2007, 09:15:53 PM

I may recollect some more bands later, but for now, have one of my fave clips ever...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbyYzyUPGs8

Surely that was just a pretty standard indie rock band with a guy making a guitar feedback over the top?

NoSleep

Quote from: thugler on December 16, 2007, 07:00:39 PM
Surely that was just a pretty standard indie rock band with a guy making a guitar feedback over the top?
I wouldn't know what you mean by that. Dead C are far more than a standard indie rock band. Saw 'em live last year and it was one of the best gigs I've ever witnessed.
"The AMM of Punk Rock" as they jokingly titled the first track on their latest album.

alan nagsworth

Hmm, maybe it would be more apt for this to be the 'Noisy rock' thread as opposed to trying to summarise lots of genres of music which span the genres and dipped into feedback as "Noise Rock".

If we don't then anything can be noise rock. The Sex Pistols can be noise rock because it was a bunch of lads creating a rough-sounding racket.

Some other great noisy rock: Deerhoof and Comets On Fire. I've not long been into Comets On Fire, just dug out an album of theirs I bought ages ago and never checked out properly. It's like a mix between the psychedelic weirdness of Oneida, the bluesy sludge of Black Sabbath and a 10-minute John Bonham drum solo. Their album 'Avatar' is well worth a listen if that little description tickles your fancy.

So, in summary: THIS ARE NOISY ROCK THREAD, dispellin ur theories about "noise rock" as a genre

alan nagsworth

Fuck! Has anyone here heard Parts & Labor? Such a heaving push of noise rock, these guys are intense but so fucking feel good at the same time. I strongly advise you all to check out their album Mapmaker, for the first song alone!!

Now!!!

Caroline

Quote from: nagsworth on January 01, 2008, 02:10:52 PM
Fuck! Has anyone here heard Parts & Labor? Such a heaving push of noise rock, these guys are intense but so fucking feel good at the same time. I strongly advise you all to check out their album Mapmaker, for the first song alone!!

Now!!!

Yeah, I've seen them 3 times and they're incredible. When I saw them last the headline band were called White Mice and were absolutely stupendous.

http://www.myspace.com/whitemice

they made all my innards tremble

Funcrusher

Quote from: NoSleep on December 15, 2007, 09:48:13 PM
Here's the band whose single (played here almost 30 years later) Thurston Moore played to his compadres in SY and said "we wanna sound like this" - a prime influence.
The Notekillers play "The Zipper"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on4eYvGD74k
I can see myself (to the right, at the front) nodding my head to them.

That was a really interesting watch NoSleep, never even heard of those guys before. Where was that filmed?

Funcrusher

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on December 16, 2007, 04:37:20 PM
I would have classed Chrome as space rock and CV as industrial. Hell! I don't care really. I'm just pleased someone mentioned my two favourite bands!

No surprise that you're a fan of the Cabs, I guess. Both they and Chrome are indeed aces.

nw83

Sister Ray by The Velvet Underground is surely the essential noise rock song.

I think Confusion Is Sex and Bad Moon Rising by Sonic Youth could be called noise rock - they're both brilliant too.

The songs on Bug and You're Living All Over Me (particularly the latter) by Dinosaur Jr  have lots of feedback and noisy solos. They do sound like what you'd expect 'grunge' to be, if it was done properly and the term hadn't been misused for decades (slow, noisy, sludgey).

Psychocandy and Barbed Wire Kisses (a B Sides compilation) by The Jesus And Mary Chain have their noisiest work on: 50s-style surf rock with lots of feedback in the background, i.e., Upside Down. The latter is almost unlistenable at times (Hit). Great!

Very early My Bloody Valentine is similar (happy, sunny pop music with lots of feedback in the background), and I think the Sunny Sundae Smile EP is perfect. I want my band to make music which sounds like the title track.

My favouritve band though are Bardo Pond, a psychedelic/stoner/noise rock band with ethereal (I which I knew a synonym for that word) female vocals. Try and download Tommy Gun Angel from Lapsed to hear them at their best!

NoSleep

Quote from: Funcrusher on January 01, 2008, 08:45:21 PM
That was a really interesting watch NoSleep, never even heard of those guys before. Where was that filmed?
That was ATP Butlins, Somerset Dec 2006. Thurston Moore was curator of the festival. Amazing. 3 days of wonder for me... I got to see Dead C!