Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,471
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:06:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Oscar Peterson: 1925 - 2007

Started by Vitalstatistix, January 02, 2008, 12:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vitalstatistix

I can't believe I've only just found out about this. Fuck. One of the all time Jazz greats has passed, at the age of 82, of kidney failure. Happened on the 23rd.

Now I know there's some 'whores who are proper Jazz freaks, and I'm hoping they can contribute something to this thread, maybe recommend some of his most accomplished works, talk about similar artists etc. Me, my Jazz collection is small and my knowledge even smaller, but I know this, I absolutely fucking adored the Peterson stuff I had, and this news has made me sad. I possessed only a tiny fraction of his enormous discography (I had most of his Gerswin work, along with Night Train, Face to Face and some live stuff) but it really is all fantastic. This guy could play piano like no-one else I've ever heard, simply astonishing at times. Peterson balanced technical mastery with an accessible and endearing ear for sublime melody and playfulness, and I often used his songs  - above those of Davis, Hancock, Monk, Coltrane et al - to introduce Jazz to dubious friends of mine. They were immediately smitten, every one.

RIP.

LadyDay

Very sad news. I was chatting to my brother-in-law about him the other day. Apparently he was a fantastic singer as well but made a pact with Nat King Cole, his hero and friend, that he wouldn't sing and Nat wouldn't play piano so they didn't encroach on each other's career. Such was the camaraderie of the musicians then. Can't imagine anyone doing that today. Truly one of the greats.

We also watched our favourite DVD, Jazz on a Summer's Day, a documentary of the Newport Jazz Festival in 1958, which I'd highly recommend if you've never seen it. (No Peterson but some fabulous performances) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052942/

Anon

Bloody hell, that news passed me by - clearly dying over Christmas isn' the greatest PR move.  RIP then - and thanks for Night Train, that's a cracking album.

Vitalstatistix

That documentary sounds really good LadyDay. Thanks for the recommendation.

terminallyrelaxed

RIP. Basin Street Blues on the way home then.

Sam

Quote from: Vitalstatistix on January 02, 2008, 12:54:48 AM
Now I know there's some 'whores who are proper Jazz freaks, and I'm hoping they can contribute something to this thread...talk about similar artists etc.

Check out Phineas Newborn, Jnr a very under-rated pianist who at times equals Art Tatum and Oscar Peterson. He really is extraordinary and it's a crime he isn't discussed in the same breath as the aforementioned greats.