Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 06:13:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The "Where Did They Get That Sample?" Thread

Started by alan nagsworth, January 03, 2008, 12:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funcrusher

Quote from: Nik Drou on January 12, 2008, 12:28:33 AM
Here's 'Cavern' by Liquid Liquid, later ripped the hell out of by a certain ill-tempered quintet.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4gsoppRmuE[/youtube]

Indeed so, and the aftermath was all a bit rubbish- their label, 99 records, home of Liquid Liquid, the equally amazing ESG and the then obscure Beastie Boys, sued for utterly blatant plagiarism but went bust in the process. Although White Lines is obviously a really cool track as well.

Funcrusher

Quote from: trotsky assortment on January 11, 2008, 09:43:34 PM
Haven't seen that YES video for ages.  Cor, that Jon Anderson's a short arse.

That Art Of Noise track also samples from the YES track 'Close To The Edge', if I recall.  Since they were connected with Trevor Horn, AON obviously figured Yes would be fairly easy for sample clearance since Trevor Horn was in Yes for a bit.

It's the horn stab bits from the Yes track, which Horn must have done himself while he was in Yes. He probably had them still saved in a Fairlight.

The drums on 'Beatbox' by AoN, if memory serves, are the first of many lifts from Zep's 'When The Levy Breaks'.

Funcrusher

Quote from: soopadoop on January 12, 2008, 11:44:41 PM
i'm quite interested in hearing the songs that provide the vocal samples for burials 'untrue' album, since it would be interesting hearing how far they've been divorced from their context (aguilera definitely appears on one of the songs). any ideas?

I thought I'd read somewhere that all the vocals were just mates of his.

soopadoop

Quote from: Funcrusher on January 14, 2008, 06:32:17 PM
I thought I'd read somewhere that all the vocals were just mates of his.

nope, here's where all (i think) of the vocal samples in archangel come from:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3VXT15Kf4s

somehow makes the song even more cool. particularly the 0.26ish "couldn't be alone".

soopadoop

and...can't take credit for these, from a website called dogsonacid

untrue = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAI8R3l8YE8
end of shell of light = http://www.myspace.com/erniehalter (whisper)
etched headplate (the best) = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7srj_TDGJ2I

Nik Drou

Quote from: Funcrusher on January 14, 2008, 06:24:36 PM
Indeed so, and the aftermath was all a bit rubbish- their label, 99 records, home of Liquid Liquid, the equally amazing ESG and the then obscure Beastie Boys, sued for utterly blatant plagiarism but went bust in the process. Although White Lines is obviously a really cool track as well.

I never knew that happened to them, that's terrible.  To be honest, a lot of classic Hip-Hop is a huge rip of something. 

Anyway, here's a fun one.  Very Ape by Nirvana

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBfELWVHHFk[/youtube]

"Magic people, magic people......"

According to the 'Jilted Generation' sleeve, the guitars on 'Voodoo People' were live, or something.  They don't credit the sample, but it clearly is 'Very Ape'.

Morrisfan82

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 07, 2008, 07:50:06 PMI'd love to know what the "ah yeah" sample is from, as used in Timmy Mallett's "Itsy witsy teeny weeny..." as well as a million other songs in the late 80's/early 90's.

It's from the intro to Here We Go (live at The Funhouse) by Run DMC. A track which itself uses the drums from The Big Beat by Billy Squier.

Paaaaul

Quote from: trotsky assortment on January 25, 2008, 09:37:07 AM
According to the 'Jilted Generation' sleeve, the guitars on 'Voodoo People' were live, or something.  They don't credit the sample, but it clearly is 'Very Ape'.

The more I listen to it, the more I'm not sure.
I thought it definitely was when I listened to it in the olden dayes, now I'm more inclined to think it's whoever was their guitarist at their point (Gizz Butt?)doing a very good copy.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: trotsky assortment on January 11, 2008, 09:43:34 PMThat Art Of Noise track also samples from the YES track 'Close To The Edge', if I recall.  Since they were connected with Trevor Horn, AON obviously figured Yes would be fairly easy for sample clearance since Trevor Horn was in Yes for a bit.

AON basically were the production team on that album, I believe.  It was their own samples they were reusing.

That's the Art Of Noise snare-drum I can hear on that Yes track too (first time I've heard it, not a band I've ever been into, although I've been meaning to pick up 90125 for years, simply because of the AON connection).

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on February 03, 2008, 03:38:21 AM
AON basically were the production team on that album, I believe.  It was their own samples they were reusing.

That may be true of '90125', but it doesn't answer whether or not AON's 'Close To The Edit' samples the YES track 'Close To The Edge' (produced by Eddy Offord in 1972).  Someone told me it contains bits of that as well as bits from '90125', but I'm still not convinced myself...

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: trotsky assortment on February 03, 2008, 12:51:36 PMThat may be true of '90125', but it doesn't answer whether or not AON's 'Close To The Edit' samples the YES track 'Close To The Edge' (produced by Eddy Offord in 1972).  Someone told me it contains bits of that as well as bits from '90125', but I'm still not convinced myself...

Ah right, sorry, got the two things confused, as you can tell!  I know so little about Yes, that I assumed that Close To The Edge was on 90125.

Bog Dadley

In Morley's 'Pop! What Is It Good For?', Anne Dudley talked of Trevor Horn hacking 'Close To The Edge' down to a three minute, bite-sized version. She seemed to suggest that this was the inspiration for, rather than the basis of, 'Close (To The Edit)'. I would imagine, given the copyright issues, that any original components from the Yes track were disfigured beyond recognition, if they were used at all.

I also seem to recall Malcolm McLaren 'uncharacteristically' trying to take the credit for all of AON's output, claiming that Horn lifted the best ideas straight out of the 'Duck Rock' sessions. Discuss.

To be in England in the summertime....Hey!

Being a bit of a closet Yes fan, hopefully i can shed a bit more light onto this.

Yes's 90125 album was produced by Trevor Horn and assisted by fellow AON's members Gary Langan as Engineer and J.J. Jeczalik is credited for keyboard progamming. In Paul Morley's excellent recent TV documentary "Pop! What is it good for?" AON's Anne Dudley explains the genesis of Close to The Edit -

AD - "The model that we worked on for Close to The Edit is a track by Yes...not many people know this...called Close to The Edge. Close to The Edge is an extremely long....12-13 minute instrumental piece (Special K - actually it's just under 19 minutes and is a vocal piece) which Trevor Horn (our Producer) condensed it down to 3 minutes and erm..that was the beginning of Close to The Edit"

PM - "I hated Yes and i hated Close To the Edge and i hated the idea of a song called Close To the Edge and all everyone in the studio seemed to be doing was editing, so it became Close To the Edit"

I downloaded Close To the Edit earlier and to my ears there is no part of Close To the Edge used.

Funcrusher - i think the Horn stabs were sampled into his then 18 grand Fairlight from a James Brown record

Sheep - if you buy 2 Yes albums I'd recommend both 90125 and Close to The Edge. 90125 OK, some of the tracks are a bit AOR, Changes in particular but the whole album has that great early Eighties polish to it. Close to The Edge is undoubtedly 'Classic Yes'. It clocks in just under 40 minutes and has 3 songs but each one is a corker. You can pick up both albums dirt cheap, look out for the remastered versions with bonus tracks. You get more repeated listens on 90125 for your money as even us hardcore Yes fans won't probably listen to the studio run throughs of the CttE tracks more than once.

I never recommend 'Close To The Edge' as a first listen, partly because Steve Howe's guitar playing during the first couple of minutes sounds like he played it wearing mittens.

Pepotamo1985

An unassailable, self-induglent splurge as an introduction piece to Yes? Pah. Fragile has it all, and lots more.

I'm half temped to start a Yes thread since this one's going a bit off the original topic, but I fear it'd be a waste of time, as it'd only be Suttonpubcrawl and me posting in it. Probably.

Quote from: trotsky assortment on February 05, 2008, 05:24:26 PM
I'm half temped to start a Yes thread since this one's going a bit off the original topic, but I fear it'd be a waste of time, as it'd only be Suttonpubcrawl and me posting in it. Probably.

I'd stick me oar in if your started one!

The reason i chose Ctte over Fragile because i think it Yes at their creative peak, Fragile seems to be made up of bits and pieces rather than a cohesive piece. Each to their own i suppose. Both got some cracking stuff on and both worth getting hold of.

LeboviciAB84

A Western called Duel At Diablo (starring James Garner and Sydney Poitier) was on BBC2 earlier, and the end theme was conspicuously similar to the horns on The Power Is On, by the Go! Team.

Just in case anyone was wondering . . .

Nik Drou

The Channel 4 News theme is actually the music from 'Pale Rider'.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7_ByjqH8pY[/youtube]

niat

I think they only used that in the trailer for Pale Rider, I vaguely remember reading about this, it was some stock music they thought went well with the trailer.

I actually remember seeing the trailer at the cinema way back when and thinking "That's the Channel Four News music!"

Unless I'm thinking of another film that only used it in the trailer, in which case sorry, I'm an idiot.

Quote from: Nik Drou on February 11, 2008, 09:49:00 AM
The Channel 4 News theme is actually the music from 'Pale Rider'.

'Dennis Moore, Dennis Moore, Dennis Moore'.

(Can't remember who pointed that out originally - Lalla, possibly - but it's all I hear with that bit of the Channel 4 news theme now.)

Here's a famous sample you'll recognise:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hK-eUA6R3Tk&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hK-eUA6R3Tk&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Don_Preston

Quote from: Special K on February 05, 2008, 05:31:40 PM
The reason i chose Ctte over Fragile because i think it Yes at their creative peak, Fragile seems to be made up of bits and pieces rather than a cohesive piece. Each to their own i suppose. Both got some cracking stuff on and both worth getting hold of.

I'd always list CttE as the first one to try, never Fragile. Maybe the Yes Album, even if it was pre-"Classic Yes" line-up.

Quote from: niat on February 11, 2008, 12:31:04 PM
I think they only used that in the trailer for Pale Rider, I vaguely remember reading about this, it was some stock music they thought went well with the trailer.

I actually remember seeing the trailer at the cinema way back when and thinking "That's the Channel Four News music!"

Unless I'm thinking of another film that only used it in the trailer, in which case sorry, I'm an idiot.

From memory I don't recall them using it in the film, just in the trailer.  Was well bizarre watching the trailer for the first time with the Channel 4 news music coming on.

Here's 'Megablast' by Bomb the Bass, I love this track, it's basically just cut and paste:

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=0YDp77erUD8[/youtube]

Please don't shoot me for pointing out what is probably obvious to the rest of you (I never knew the full title and was unaware that it referenced the main sample), but the main melody came from John Carpenter's 'Assault on Precinct 13', which seems to have been a very influential piece of work and has been sampled tons of times.

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=SFFNn5UF3i4[/youtube]

Here's the other main sample, 'You can make it if you try' by Sly and the Family Stone.

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=OWx7o2ojUxI[/youtube]

I love listening to tracks and then discovering the music of the sampled artists.  I find it a more interesting way of expanding my muscial tastes, rather than listening to Zane Lowe/Jo Whiley/The NME's opinions, etc