Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:33:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Create random album art

Started by Ronnie the Raincoat, January 03, 2008, 04:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Quote from: its not cool to be weird on January 03, 2008, 05:25:04 PM
How do you printscreen on that bucket of useless wank we know as a mac?
Not so useless, after all.

Koant

The RPI's do it again, with a committed second album still focused on US politics and human rights. Definitely more upbeat than their previous opus and, as their title suggests, more optimistic. Required listening if you lean on the left and even more if you don't.

(thanks unicornio for the prtscr tip)

Pseudopath

Quote from: its not cool to be weird on January 03, 2008, 05:25:04 PM
How do you printscreen on that bucket of useless wank we know as a mac?

Hit the Command key (the Apple key next to the space bar), the Shift key, and the number 3 key simultaneously. That saves the current screen to a PDF file on your Desktop and you should be able to open that in Photoshop for editing (or use GraphicConverter to convert it to a JPEG or other image format first).

And, yes, Macs are useless wank.

Johnny Yesno

Solo drum'n'bass adventures from ex-Argot percussionist.

Quote from: The NMEConfident, bold, ambitious, bunged with singles and impossible to contain, 'Only For Financial Reasons' doesn't reinvent the wheel but it does reinforce Coming Up Roses as the band of their time. The MD of Parlophone and his shareholders can sleep easy. This is a great, great record that has just raised the bar for everyone. That's probably of great consequence for Chris Martin. The worries for our self-doubting hero about how to better it start now.

Quote from: PitchforkIf Wilkinson has accomplished anything with 'More Or Less Bunk', it's that he may have become the rare musical artist equally despised by both of modern music criticism's warring camps. Rockists will retch at the blatant AAA radio-whoring, while popists will abhor Wilkinson's indie-esque self-satisfaction. But being the man in the middle isn't working for Wilkinson; overdosing on moderatism, the guy who supposedly gave electronica a face is ironically now a blank manufacturer of rock-by-numbers. Whether seduced by chart flirtations or weary of constant mockery, Wilkinson has filed away his distinguishing characteristics, and all that's left is an artist too played out to match even Moby's output.

Cack Hen

The Canadian nine-piece's debut album, released and distributed exclusively through their own website, achieved a huge indie-following after a glowing review on Pitchfork in which Don't Play At All was awarded a 9.7 score. Last September they signed to Domino Records and their second album The Rise and Fall of Canada's Most Wanted was received apathetically by critics and sold poorly. They are currently rethinking their direction and a new EP is expected to follow their European tour this summer.   

chocky909

The band, formed by a communist in the mid-1990s, released three albums of material in the late 1990s and 2000s. Their music is characterised by singer Funty Huggins' "dreamy" voice,  Jiminy Platt's nice and jangly guitar sound, and calcium-rich harmonies.

Love Koant's album and description. Cheers for the info there. Ill say one thing for macs, at least they don't have a windows key.

Now how do I post images on this thing?

jaydee81

This reminds me of when I got into one of those 'Project Rockstar' websites where you sit and make up names of albums, singles and artwork... watch them chart... and have a wee warm glow at your poetry.

Pseudopath

Quote from: its not cool to be weird on January 03, 2008, 05:42:51 PM
Love Koant's album and description. Cheers for the info there. Ill say one thing for macs, at least they don't have a windows key.

Upload the image to a free image hosting service, such as www.tinypic.com. Then take the link they give you and paste it on here between [img] tags.

I'll say one thing for Mac owners, they never have to learn how to use a computer.

NoSleep

Quote from: its not cool to be weird on January 03, 2008, 05:42:51 PM

Sorry, I hadn't realised you were fishing for info there (If you had said "screen grab" I might have been more helpful).

If you hit command-shift-4, then you'll get a cursor appear. If you click and hold from the top left corner of the part of the screen you want, then drag to the bottom right, then you can grab parts of the screen.

Here goes.
Im not a mac user by choice, hence the lack of knowledge.
However you've been helpful, I may put down as my favorite person this year. But by December Ill have forgotten.

EDIT: Doh!

micanio

"Is Paved with Adverbs" was the "difficult" second album from lo-fi samplers Wath who stumbled onto the scene with their first album "Up Doc". Hailing from the small village in North Yorkshire of the same name, Wath made an immediate mark on the indie scene before disappearing in a shower of irony and haircuts. An acrimonious split saw lead vocalist and Stylophone player Bob Cool Bob sue the rest of the band for speaking too loudly during their one and only gig at the Camden Underworld to an audience of 20. No-one cares where the band are now.

(By an amazing co-incidence, Wath is literally 3 miles from where I sit right now....)

Here goes.
Im not a mac user by choice, hence the lack of knowledge.
However you've been helpful, I may put down as my favorite person this year. But by December Ill have forgotten.

NoSleep

Quote from: Pseudopath on January 03, 2008, 05:46:03 PM
I'll say one thing for Mac owners, they never have to learn how to use a computer.
Don't they have software on PCs then?

Pseudopath

Quote from: its not cool to be weird on January 03, 2008, 05:50:45 PM

Not if I...keep...helping...you. [sinister laugh]

Marvin

Lush epic post-rock from the Candian quintent famous for their work soundtracking David Lynch's 'Weird Penguin Tree' film.

Ronnie the Raincoat

Quote from: PlaylouderNira Waterpark's new project, "Any Given Sunday" recall Peaches initial showstopping glamour and political edge and submerges it in dreampop Mazzy Star stylings. With songs like "I Am Not A Bacon" and "Can It Be Milked?", she challenges society's traditional view of feminine desire.  Features Venn Cloakdart on harp.

Ha, it worked!

I dunno, looks like a dance album to me. But with a cello, ha ha.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

The Bolivian Folk Duo continues to amaze, collaborating with unexpected names – Producer Tim 'Icecone' Skelton and Phil Crux of Teabag? - but managing to pull together a new, completely unique sound that's a million miles away from last years grower, 'Scarecrow'.  It's much darker than the Tobas sound we're used to, but go with it and you won't be disappointed.

Famous Mortimer

Ooops, didn't read the instructions. Sorry people below!

jaydee81

What quote/article has Jesus Fuck Explosion in it?

Ronnie the Raincoat

Oh my, that's brilliant!

New Year's Resolution: life, lessen thy meals.

Quote from: Pseudopath on January 03, 2008, 05:52:07 PM
Not if I...keep...helping...you. [sinister laugh]

Im moving back to a PC soon.

Famous Mortimer

Old school grunge band attempt to jump on the new-electro bandwagon, with horrifying results.

micanio

This is ace. Great thread Ronnie.

Dorset 3-piece Telluride Mountain School return with the follow up to their 1st album "Only Mucking Around". Trapped somewhere between Boards of Canada and The Monkees, TMS inspire, revolt and annoy with this magnum opus that should be up there with Awful Son's "Fudge Packer '99" and Misty Bob's mathematical work of genius "The Seven Deadly Sine's" as albums of the year.

buttgammon

Norwegian band Seethanagaram formed in 1998 as a shoegazing revival band, following the lead of pioneers such as My Bloody Valentine. Since then, they have added icy melodies and sweeping orchestral arrangements to their sound. "Of Our Snap Judgements" emphasises the beautiful, dramatic side of their music and moves towards a more post-rock based sound which is especially prominent in the incredible 16 minute long closing track "Sunday Night In Tromso".

Hailing from Boston, USNDC(PS) have released a mediocre debut album of generic and boring 'electronica'. Their name is the only thing about them that is remotely interesting and even that is pretty stupid. Insignificant and not essential in the slightest.

El Unicornio, mang

Fresh from her six month tour of Zambia, Joan Nestle gets political on her fourth studio album. Tracks like "Dear Mr. Rapist Soldier" tell of the troubles in the dark regions of war-torn South Africa, but there is also hope in the form of "Zambian Dance Troupe" and "A Night with Moegtaar". The 8-minute instrumental freestyle jazz track that closes side A, "Bunta", is less satisfying.

Famous Mortimer

Chrominance, formed by members of Ass after the sad breakup of that great band, have gone from strength to strength in the last five years. This is a tribute album to former member Russell Montaigne, who didn't appreciate the wisdom of the title.