Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:52:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Create random album art

Started by Ronnie the Raincoat, January 03, 2008, 04:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Remaining true to their Burlesque roots and following straight on from 2007's 'Bitchkittens', the Bohemian National Home - apparently named after an obscure sex position - hit the ground running with At It For Hours. Fans of the BNH will be instantly reminded of their debut album 'Sheer Filth', thanks to the unexpected return of histrionic singer Lexi Throbbinz. In summary: Not for everyone.

chocky909

Quote from: WikipediaThe Cadet Field House Ice Arena (also known as Cadet Field-house Ice Arena, Cadet! Field House And The Ice Arena Reveries and, colloquially, as "The Cadets") are a band created by a group of Welsh art-school denizens of the 1960s. Combining elements of music hall, trad jazz, psychedelic rock, and avant-garde art, the Cadets came to the attention of a broader British public through a children's television programme, Going Live.

Johnny Yesno

DFPG describe themselves as Nu-Oi!, which makes the Brummie punk rockers entertaining to listen to even if their music doesn't.

Joy Nktonga

You may not have heard of Brison Manor, and if this release is anything to go by, I hope you never will do. This debut release from the Texan quintet marries country music to Amazonian tribal chants with disastrous results. Hopefully Brison Manor will never trouble our CD racks again.

NoSleep

Anusvara once again try too hard with their bittersweet blend of electronica and celtic voicings.

Cack Hen

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

More self important, dreary, tuneless bilge from Middle America. 'His Self Made Laws' is the fifth album from the increasingly irritating Anthology, and should have been titled 'A Boring Picture of a Bridge'.

Ronnie the Raincoat

Quote from: Cack Hen on January 03, 2008, 06:29:20 PM
Why the cunty tags?

Where? I'm the one who tagged "Why the overzealous praise?" because I was wondering if I was being piss-taked.

micanio

Quote from: Ronnie the Raincoat on January 03, 2008, 06:31:18 PM
Where? I'm the one who tagged "Why the overzealous praise?" because I was wondering if I was being piss-taked.

No way. This a supoib thread.

Cack Hen

Quote from: Ronnie the Raincoat on January 03, 2008, 06:31:18 PM

The sarcastic tags just seem unnecessary.

It is a good thread.

djtrees

Quote from: Terroriser
A return to form from the Boston (Lincs) Xtian Death-Core trio, forgoing their previous reluctance to push to the forefront their religious beliefs they really hammer home how ace God really is.
4 crucifixes out of 5.

Also this is a great thread.

Jemble Fred

Heading towards four pages in about an hour Ronnie, there's no arguing with that.

MULLINER NIGHTS – 'Before he Cuts Himself'

Not just difficult but practically impossible second album from former Bluetones tribute band, named after the PG Wodehouse Book. This time out they're just doing jazz haikus.

PRAISE FOR 'BEFORE HE CUTS HIMSELF':
"This sounds like really great in my ears, and I know music and this is music and I like it!' Alison Graham, Radio Times..
That's it.

lipsink

"Oswald Kabasta is a one-man prog choir blasting 10 life affirming perfect pop masterworks. Each piece sounds like a soundtrack for films that no one will ever have the balls to make. He surpasses Brian Wilson's 'SMiLE' in the first ten seconds of the opening track. If you don't own this album, then you probably still do."

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Twelve fragile, achingly beautiful minimalist pieces from the charming Japanese Motorcycle Mechanic; '...And Cross It Deliberately' will doubtless be nestled under the Valentines Tree for many of Erv's fans this Februarytide.

Clone Army

QuoteFollwing SSCU's blistering performance at this summer's Carling Festival, this album show's us exactly why the Boys from Batley were 2008 Mecury Award Nominees. Wall-to-wall melancholy. 3/5

QuotePretentious and overlong, France's top Dance artist Miron V. Trudel is back on top form with his second studio album: "A Child, A Sword". Erotic. 4/5

micanio

Irving Bluestone has produced a stunning album of ambient-trad-jazz with his new work "To Learn Something New". With tracks such as "Feel My Pain" and ""3 Minutes of Utter Misery", Bluestone's stunning trombone work, fleshed out with the new-age panpipes of the The Lake Titcaca 3, soars and in this mellow, yet utterly depressing long player.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

The Soundtrack to the latest Peter Pippin-Finlico big screen outing - about relationships or something - 'And Read a Book' is certainly the most recent 'Sociologists Without Borders' album to date, at least until they release another. However, the move to exclusively release the album as fragrant, plastic microdots will perhaps count against them in the long run.

Cack Hen

The new-wave pioneers return with their first album in over 20 years, this time without influential guitarist, Jim Swordfish. The band play it safe with To Secure My Heart, an album which hints at their talents but never quite delivers. The single 'Cones' (produced by Timbaland) is the standout track, but it only confirms them as a band stagnating, and afraid to be themselves in the modern age.

buttgammon

This thread is quite a tour de force already - I can't post in it without seeing "Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post"!

At the age of 45, Stratford-Upon-Avon based singer-songwriter George Miller has had a change of tack. On this album, he has dropped his acoustic guitar and started shouting a lot, making an album which sounds like Iron Maiden playing twee folk music. It's an extraordinary clash of styles which works surprisingly well, and Miller has earned acclaim from such publications as Wire, Cable and Line.

rudi

Almost exactly a year late, this 32 minute-long squeal of pubescent boys and their recently-parent-bought toys is the closest this paper has heard yet to the joys of a night at 33 Feet East. Leading off with "Your Mum", one is 'treated' to 11 virtually identical tracks, heavy on the synths and reeking of hair product. What we have here is The Klaxons meets Hadouken played by a five year old and we here at NME Towers haven't been able to stop playing it since it was couriered over this morning. Album of the Month.

Jemble Fred

BUSY BUDDIES – 'It About Other People'.

Ringo Starr's butcher, Robert Plant's cousin and Toby Anstis' debut album is "a testament to their lack of education." (Prince Philip). Lutes, kettle drums, synth bass – anything would have improved this dismally upbeat slice of summer slop. Available then, from all good places. A quid.

(Actually that looks good.)

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: Razzle Record ReviewDeborah Lipp's long anticipated follow-up to her 1979 debut eponymous folk rap album won't disappoint fans - the first track, a Cornish-tinged 64 minute long cover of that bit between "Cry Baby Cry" and "Revolution 9" off "The Beatles" is par for the Lipp course, but it's her recording of her violent anal pounding (guest starring former Aston Villa and England striker Dion Dublin) that really heralds a return to form.

Melody Lee

Good thread!

Band name/first random link was Beaver County, Pennsylvania. Album title and second link was quoting Robert Louis Stevenson. The image is some pigeons!

I was a bit selective with 'Beaver', but it was too tempting. Beaver, I imagine, do music in the vein of Mogwai, but crap. Wannabes, but charming.

Spiteface

The new album from Haddaway's alter-ego "Ophiognomon", is a collection of bleak acoustic songs about fizzy water and the pain of people who do not have fizzy water.

Not available in the shops.

Viero_Berlotti

The new "spoken-word" triple album by reformed east-coast gangster rapper turned "Buddhist preacher" Eothyris. Groundbreaking, epic and life affirming Antithesis Of Self-Conciousness is already tipped to top Boomkat's prestigious "Best Of 2008" list come December.

djtrees

Quote from: Pitchfork
Is/are the creator/creators the heir to Janadek's idiosyncratic outsiders throne? Its hard to tell without listening to what is contained within this self released E.P. from Nova Scotia's Raheny United F.C. Which I haven't. Listened to it that is, as I am far to busy spunking all over The Arcade Fire.

Ronnie the Raincoat

Hmm- some of these seem a little too fitting.  Are you playing by the rules?

buntyman

At long last, Germany's answer to "Weird Al" Yankovic is back and more outrageous than ever. Following his minor-hit movie Ins Der Krazy Hause, Westerberg has returned in emphatic style with his third studio album Accept Me As A Member. As a response to recent criticism that Westerberg will never find fame outside Germany, he has sarcastically named his album in English, despite the language and pop-culture references remaining defiantly German. Stand-out tracks include 'Rumminigge, Rumminigge, Was Ist Das?', 'Wann Gott war Deutsch' and 'Heidi Klum Meine Meerschweinchen Essen'. Well worth persevering with. 4/5

Jemble Fred

Quote from: Ronnie the Raincoat on January 03, 2008, 07:36:35 PM
Hmm- some of these seem a little too fitting.  Are you playing by the rules?

Yes, but I'm a bit worried about that random quote generator. It always has the same batch when I check, so have we already started repeating album names?

LeboviciAB84

After the spectacular (and litigious) implosion of his early-Nineties outfit, the Worshipful Ones, self-confessed "conduit" Tim Denton balanced a white stetson atop his retractable-Stanley-knife face and took off in search of the Americana Dream. On his return in 1998, he assembled the finest Tejano musicians Avon could offer, before firing them and playing all the instruments himself under the name of Interval. His calling was to document, in terrifying detail, the ennui of contemporary American life – although tracks such as Anyone But Clinton (a rap-metal diatribe to the tune of Roll Out The Barrel) and Jamboree Afgano (a celebration of foreign intervention, to the tune of Roll Out The Barrel) have not aged well.

That said, the luxurious and aromatic booklet contains an exhaustive collection of Denton's travel Polaroids. Here we finally glimpse the real America – motels, fast-food restaurants, shops, churches, more motels, several pictures of Denton standing shirtless in a desert in Christlike pose, and most that are impossible to discern thanks to the artistically-broken camera. (It's rumoured that the camera's destruction is related in the track Equipmentbreaka Badman #070, a minute-long Dictaphone recording of an irate Cajun man stamping on various elecrical goods whilst the townsfolk applaud rapturously).