Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:14:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Coronation Street

Started by jennifer, January 07, 2008, 08:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jennifer

Sorry to bump my own thread, but anyone know a streaming site that has corrie on? Stupid  ITV site won't allow mac usage and I've missed a few episodes...

Emma Raducanu

No, but I wouldn't say it was worth streaming any way! I've not seen a episode in over a month, just been watching a few now and bloody hell, it is absolute shite! The most irritating thing being Rosie's constant pouting; I don't know if its just the way the girl in real life is, or if she's told to behave really bizarrely. Like she'll jog barbra windsor style everywhere instead of just walking.

buttgammon

I've completely stopped watching it atogether now. I think it's got beyond the point of no return quality wise to be honest.

The last storyline I remotely enjoyed was the business with Roy and the pigeons.

simondykes

I've stopped watching it,but only because my work makes it practically impossible for me to see it without having to tape every episode,and I don't really want to go down that road.
I didn't noticeably see a dip in quality,though I did notice that it started having endless storylines about characters who annoyed me - mainly Michelle,the most self-centred character in it,but also Sally & Claires very dull house swap.
I gave up watching it in the early nineties because I thought it had 'gone shit',but it will pick up again,you watch.(And tell me if anything exciting happens,etc.)

Emma Raducanu

Claire Peacock
Marcus Dent     
Vernon Tomlin    
Liam Connor    
Harry Mason       
Dan Mason    
Clarissa Mason        
Jerry Morton    
Darryl Morton    
Kayleigh Morton    
Mel Morton    
Teresa Bryant    
Finlay Bryant

While this list of departing characters is encouraging. There are probably another 20 names I could add to it!

23 Daves

No, I'll miss Mel Morton.  She makes me feel all funny (she's actually the spitting image of somebody I used to fancy in real life from way back).

Corrors has always had its peaks and troughs, and I think the problem with it at the moment is that there are far too many unsympathetic characters.  I don't really give a toss about the factory anymore now it's not owned by anyone likable, for example.  It could collapse tomorrow and I'd probably applaud.  Nor do I care about Michelle's latest handwringing fit, or whatever the completely characterless Maria is being wet about this week.  And Claire and Sally have always been loathsome, so any plot involving them both is bound to set the teeth on edge.  I was half hoping they'd just strangle each other to death and we could be free of both of them.

Of course, for the full bitchy effect of this post, simply read it aloud in the voice of Norris.

The last really good plotline was David's psycho spree, but that seems to have been dusted under the carpet now and recategorised as a mild hissy fit.  Three months in a youth remand centre and he's a changed man... It's enough to restore your faith in the justice system.

simondykes

Yeah,I have the same feelings about Mel Morton,except that she doesn't remind me of anyone I know.In fact,I quite like that whole family - Darryl is quite a funny character,and certainly more likeable than (her again) Michelle.And I've actually warmed to the bookies,mainly Harry rather than Dan,and it's a shame he's off so soon.I didn't know Claire was leaving though - hurrah!

SOTS

Quote from: 23 Daves on July 08, 2008, 05:53:26 PMOf course, for the full bitchy effect of this post, simply read it aloud in the voice of Norris.

Thanks for that.

buttgammon

Quote from: DolphinFace on July 08, 2008, 05:13:57 PM
Claire Peacock
Marcus Dent     
Vernon Tomlin    
Liam Connor    
Harry Mason       
Dan Mason    
Clarissa Mason        
Jerry Morton    
Darryl Morton    
Kayleigh Morton    
Mel Morton    
Teresa Bryant    
Finlay Bryant

While this list of departing characters is encouraging. There are probably another 20 names I could add to it!

Yes! The lot of them can all fuck off as far as I'm concerned. I may start watching it again in a while after all. In fact, me stopping watching Corrie was more forgetting or not bothering or doing other things rather than making a conscious decision not to anyway, though it was crap and the only reason I carried on watching for a long time was that bloody Carla (always too explicable to mention in the inexplicable crushes thread but still mildly embarrassing).

Emma Raducanu

Yep, that is quite inexplicable as for me she is possibly the worst character to ever exist on Coronation Street and the competition is strong. WTF happened to the storyline where she effectively killed a Polish worker? I was hoping that would be the point she was dragged off, but nnooooo it just petered out.

I think it's mainly her voice; the way she delivers lines, it's just really pantomime and always the equivilent of someone scratching a black board. That said, I am really enjoying the weird transformation TONY seems to have gone under since I last saw him. Like Churgh, who embodied the devil, he seems to have become a complete capitalist caricature and he is slowly trying to take over the street (why?! Manchester is a big place), which will obviously culminate in his explosive ending by being driven into the canal by Rita, when she discovers her beloved post office has been turned into an inconceivably sucessful residential night club called COCK.

chand

I don't have access to a TV at the moment, luckily people are uploading the most interesting bits in gif form:

mildly NWS
[close]

PAGATRON

What's NWS about that?
There's woman who something similar around the office where I work.

chand

Quote from: PAGATRON on July 10, 2008, 10:25:14 AM
What's NWS about that?
There's woman who something similar around the office where I work.

Just covering my back, bro.

I work on a construction site, so I have to be content with animated gifs of women.

23 Daves

Quote from: DolphinFace on July 10, 2008, 07:52:27 AM
I am really enjoying the weird transformation TONY seems to have gone under since I last saw him. Like Churgh, who embodied the devil, he seems to have become a complete capitalist caricature and he is slowly trying to take over the street (why?! Manchester is a big place)

Yes, this is a baffling plot line.  Rather than moving to slightly bigger premises in another part of Manchester where all the big boys are, he's instead trying to buy out a Post Office/ Newsagent combination.  You don't need to be Alan Sugar to point out the obvious flaw in that. 

"Let me ask you something about this task, Tony... was it really worth the sheer aggravation of moving an elderly couple running a Post Office out of their building so you could expand your empire?  I mean, to my mind, calling Pickfords and shifting the entire bloody place off to another bit of Manchester would have been a bit less time consuming, surely?"  That's probably what he'd say in the boardroom.

Emma Raducanu

Did anyone see last night's episode? Michelles punch was one of the funniest things I've ever seen on the programme. Not just because the sound effect sounded like a door closing but Steve's comedy stunned reaction. That guy is a genius, brilliant stuff.

jennifer

The Michelle storyline is incredibly tedious - so she duped him into buying a £7,500 ring, then threw it at him? What's the point of that?

The only decent storyline they've had for ages is Blanche buying some ham from a stranger in the pub, and then discussing the demise of milk puddings. (more of this please, ITV)

23 Daves

Quote from: jennifer on July 18, 2008, 10:59:08 AMThe only decent storyline they've had for ages is Blanche buying some ham from a stranger in the pub, and then discussing the demise of milk puddings. (more of this please, ITV)

Blanche had some fantastic comedy lines on Wednesday night.  It was the way she bitterly blurted out "Rice puddings are the only milk based desert left!" with hurt and anguish in her voice, before later going on to accuse Ken Barlow of "going on the slippery slope towards homosexuality" before conceding "at his age, it probably is difficult for him to slip into something new".  Truly, given the present state of British comedy on television she could be given her own sit-com and I wouldn't complain.

Emma Raducanu

Speaking of Blanche's comedy lines, the ITV2 repeat show edited out the bit that made me laugh when Ken returned from his university reunion. She said something like 'Did you tell them your daughter is in the clink and that you sell buns at a greasy spoon owned by a woman who used to be called Harold?'. That was completely omitted.

vdbn

The other good bit with the otherwise boring Ken and Remy's High School Reunion storyline was the Philip Larkin Quote-athon between Ken and one of his pals. And a mention of Betjeman too. The sort of thing Eastenders wouldn't even consider doing.

And tonight's ep had the funniest joke I've seen on screen in months: Steve's hideously misjudged 'Alright love! How much?' greeting to Michelle when he met her by that skip.

Oh, and Vernon's CSNY bit in the cafe. Even though Coronation Street's storylines are crap at the moment, there's still brilliance in the dialogue.

Has anyone else noticed the two big pinboards by the door of the Rovers'? There are some proper old school pictures in there - Elsie Tanner, Fred Gee etc, but they're never in shot for very long.

Quote from: vdbn on July 18, 2008, 11:43:29 PMAnd tonight's ep had the funniest joke I've seen on screen in months: Steve's hideously misjudged 'Alright love! How much?' greeting to Michelle when he met her by that skip.

I haven't watched it for a week or so but tonight's episodes seemed to have an odd feel about them; like they were attempting pure comedy all the way through with the occasional slightly more serious bit thrown in.

And Lloyd's mention of The Wire nearly made me choke on my pizza.

vdbn

I get the impression that the writers are stuck with having to work through a lot of boring storylines prior to the big purge mentioned above and are amusing themselves by putting more funny scenes in.

23 Daves

Dev and Vernon are so obviously a comedy double act waiting to happen as well.  I've been saying for a long time that it's surprising they're both not close buddies, because they're both "big talkers" - men in rather humble positions in life who nonetheless see themselves as being superstars in their respective fields.  I hope their golf outing last night leads to more shenanigans. 

Emma Raducanu

I wonder how much of Dev's acting is scripted? I know Harry Hill picked up on the various noises he makes but the guy compared to a year ago has gone completely mad! Everything he says is like his own little in-joke and consists of little inward laughs and grunts. I wonder if the crew are sometimes left just looking at each other.

MuteBanana

Dev's a shadow of his former self and he's going through one hell of a mid-life crisis. This is the man who was once able to seduce the likes of Geena the barmaid, Tracey Barlow and sophisticated but slightly insane lawyer Maya.  He's lucky to get a smile off a girl these days.

Quote from: MuteBanana on July 19, 2008, 04:16:57 PM
Dev's a shadow of his former self and he's going through one hell of a mid-life crisis. This is the man who was once able to seduce the likes of Geena the barmaid, Tracey Barlow and sophisticated but slightly insane lawyer Maya.  He's lucky to get a smile off a girl these days.

Plot spoiler!

Spoiler alert
He's going to have an affair with the wife and the daughter of the businessman he met. The randy old goat.
[close]

jennifer

This Steve storyline is killing me, see also David's 'French Polishers? You could just save my life...' change of character. Only good bits of tonight was the depressed cabby, I knew how he felt...

MuteBanana

Vernon's putting leading him to dance around the green was amazing.

'Good wood!'

Ckris

So what's the story behind Tina's emails? It's like a story straight out of 1997 that would have probably starred Ken Barlow. And why is Gail paying for an internet connection when she and David never use it? And she wasn't even aware she was paying for it monthy, when she enquired about how much it was costing her with Tina's usage. Silly cow!

I must admit to getting plenty of laughs from the Tyrone proposal storyline and found it biazarrely quite sweet when the proposal went through.

Pseudopath

Quote from: DolphinFace on July 19, 2008, 03:58:04 PM
I wonder how much of Dev's acting is scripted? I know Harry Hill picked up on the various noises he makes but the guy compared to a year ago has gone completely mad! Everything he says is like his own little in-joke and consists of little inward laughs and grunts. I wonder if the crew are sometimes left just looking at each other.

I hope for everyone's sake that it's scripted. I've just watched him dance around his shop to Rihanna shouting "Have a twenty! Have a twenty!". Gobsmacking.

jennifer

The writers seem to be enjoying themselves in this storyline lull, the Liz versus the man from Bad Girls's ex wife was like Acorn Antiques.

"I'm more of a winebar person, I hope you don't take offence"

"I won't, and i won't take offence at that NOISY BLOUSE"