Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:34:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Your Music Shitlist

Started by Mindbear, January 14, 2008, 12:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mindbear

I'm very interested, as people on this forum seem to have varying tastes, what your top ten least favourite bands/solo artists are. Music that makes you angry and vaguely unwell on aural impact. I know that most recently there have been an influx of bands that make me feel giddy with hatred, so I'd like to know what others thing.

Also, for good measure, add two artists that you just don't 'get', even though you may want or, even even, everyone else loves them, and you just don't care.

Okay, i'll go first, obviously

1. The Doors
2. Ash
3. Muse
4. Jack Penate
5. Kasabian
6. Larrikin Love (and any of those fucking west london bands, fuck off!)
7. Jamie T
8. Madness
9. Michael Buble
10. The Paddingtons

I really don't get

1. Boards Of Canada
2. Burial

The Sex Pistols
Starsailor
Counting Crows
Kylie Minogue (mainly because she's fawned over so much despite having only one decent song ever)
Cascada
The Killers
Dream Theater
Placebo
Sandi Thom
Kate Nash

Completely without merit

EDIT: I don't get:

Captain Beefheart (I've only heard Trout Mask Replica and thought "People listen to this? Do be serious", although I'm willing to give it another go. Anyone wanna recommend another?)

Jeff Buckley - Grace (Can kind of see why other people like it but I find it too shmaltzy)

Mindbear

I agree with all that except Kylie. Even though obviously she's a singing puppet, she's one with a good voice and great charisma, and even though I'm not gay, I really do like looking at her.

buttgammon

I find it virtually impossible to disagree with anything said in this thread so far, but here's mine:

Shitlist:

The Hoosiers
Babyshambles
Arctic Monkeys
Celine Dion
My Chemical Romance
Metallica
The Kooks
Feist
The Jam
James Blunt

Bands I 'don't get':

Los Campesinos (lots of fuss but I'm really quite sceptical, just don't understand it)
Belle and Sebastian

Mindbear

Quote from: buttgammon on January 14, 2008, 02:12:19 AM

Bands I 'don't get':

Los Campesinos (lots of fuss but I'm really quite sceptical, just don't understand it)
Belle and Sebastian

Oh no! That breaks my heart, I don't know why but they are the first band in a long time that have really really excited me. I spose if you don't get B&S, you're not going to enjoy another scottish twee band though.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: buttgammon on January 14, 2008, 02:12:19 AM
I find it virtually impossible to disagree with anything said in this thread so far, but here's mine:

Shitlist:

The Hoosiers
Babyshambles
Arctic Monkeys
Celine Dion
My Chemical Romance
Metallica
The Kooks
Feist
The Jam
James Blunt

Talk about easy targets!!

Here's my shitlist:

Kraftwerk - you can say "but nags they're robots and they invented electronica!" all you want, this is a load of boring old wank.

Sugababes - If there was some kind of scale for how shit pop music is, Sugababes would be a 10/10, with Girls Aloud at the other end scoring a cool 0.1/10.

Nirvana - Durr I can't play guitar and can't sing for shit, but I can write great lyrics. BE A PUBLISHED POET THEN KURT! Oh right I forgot, no one cares about opinions they don't understand unless you're smashing a guitar about.

The Sex Pistols - Probably the worst punk band I've ever heard, widely regarded as one of the best.

Babyshambles - Pete gets kicked out of The Libertines, makes a band who sound exactly the same, minus the potential shown on that first Libertines record.

Plain White T's - That first single was blood-boiling enough... and then along came 'I Really Don't Like You'. UGH. This new album of theirs is their fourth, and according to an interview, one of the says "I feel like musically and lyrically we've advanced." I dread to think what those other three albums sound like.

Ash - The epitome of dad-rock. Tim Wheeler can't sing for love nor money and their riffs are infuriatingly awful in their simplicity and failure to trigger any sort of enthusiasm in me. Somehow they managed to get even worse when Charlotte Hatherley left, so you can even see where the talent used to be.

Aaand I guess two shitty "indie" bands could go here.

Artists who I 'don't get':

The Fall - Some obnoxious turd rambling on and genuinely being a twat over the course of about 50 albums. I seriously cannot get why anyone would enjoy this or could derive any sort of association with it. Very confusing.

G4/Il Divo/etc - Why would anyone want to do opera cover versions of classic songs? Why?!

Mindbear

The Fall!?!?! Okay, I suppose I can understand why someone wouldn't 'get' them, but you can't call The Fall shit, there are Fall songs that actually send shivers of excitement down my spine. Maybe you've heard the wrong stuff?

Cack Hen

Red Hot Chili Peppers - just the worst band ever. They provide absolutely nothing new or even vaguely interesting, everything with them is just whiny, annoying, funk-lite drivel. People still say 'but have you heard their early stuff?' and the answer is yes. Yes, I unfortunately have. It's the same, but with shoddier production.

Coldplay - soft target, but they deserve it. again, like the Chili Peppers, they provide absolutely zilch. I rarely actively dislike bands because I can usually find some redeeming quality in anything musically - good or bad. But one thing I cannot stand is safe, piddling crap like Coldplay. How many uninspiring songs must they write before they get even slightly adventurous. Their sampling of Kraftwerk completely sums them up.

The Jesus & Mary Chain - quite specifically Psychocandy. Infuriating piece of work; says everything it wants to say by the end of the first minute, yet somehow still regarded as a classic.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Mindbear on January 14, 2008, 03:39:53 AM
The Fall!?!?! Okay, I suppose I can understand why someone wouldn't 'get' them, but you can't call The Fall shit, there are Fall songs that actually send shivers of excitement down my spine. Maybe you've heard the wrong stuff?

I dunno, I've sat through a few tracks of Hex Induction Hour as a friend is really into them and apparently that's their best album. I thought it was dire.

I've been discovering a bit of post-punk lately so maybe I'll change with time but at the moment I'm seriously baffled as to why anyone likes them so much. It jyst feels like Smith releases records for the fuck of it and doesn't care who he hires and fires so long as he can churn out some more rubbish.

Mindbear

Quote from: nagsworth on January 14, 2008, 03:46:05 AM
I dunno, I've sat through a few tracks of Hex Induction Hour as a friend is really into them and apparently that's their best album. I thought it was dire.

I've been discovering a bit of post-punk lately so maybe I'll change with time but at the moment I'm seriously baffled as to why anyone likes them so much. It jyst feels like Smith releases records for the fuck of it and doesn't care who he hires and fires so long as he can churn out some more rubbish.

They have some very very obsessive fans that are completists, and I'm not one of them. I would say go and listen to the best of that Stewart Lee put together, it's got some pop fall on it. The stuff he did with Brix Smith is very accessable, and The Light User Syndrome is great, as is Cerebal Caustic. I think if you've got a really hardcore fan, they probably won't recommend the most easy on the ear stuff because they're on the Fall heroin, when you just want some Fall shandy perhaps. The 50'000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong compilation is pretty good for a starting point as well. I know he hires and fires, but there is a core theme to all the musicianship, and it's pretty danceable. Oooh, go and listen to Bill Is Dead, if you fancy a slow one too, it's stunning, if a bit obvious.

MuteBanana

Quote from: thecuriousorange on January 14, 2008, 01:37:51 AM
Kylie Minogue (mainly because she's fawned over so much despite having only one decent song ever)

Yeah and even then it was Jase who made it the perfect school disco dance hit.

Madonna
Kylie Minogue
Robbie Williams

That's it. I like everything else.

kidsick5000

Shitlist:

Keane
David Gray (if that matters anymore now)
Michael Buble (especially when compared to crooners of the past who had a voice)
Oasis (partly for not pushing things forward, and getting lazy)

Dont get:
Libertines and its offshoots. It perplexing that for a band so hyped as the great lost hope, they barely have one recognisible song
Never got Bob Marley either. Dunno, just a bit too light for me.

alan nagsworth

Oh christ yeah, That Cunt Williams easily makes my shitlist #9. 'Look-at-me-I'm-troubled' bull crap heavily sugared with 'I'm-still-fucking-great-though'.

I don't really understand him either, come to think of it. Is he depressed? Is he a party animal? Is he so caught up in the whole media furore of him being troubled that he's convinced himself that he really is?

I just think he's an attention-seeking fuckwit who's desperate for a serious relationship but is too thick to manage it.

Cack Hen

Mindbear

He's displayed his guts enough in the media for people to get a measure of him. He seemed really quite cool and funny back in the day. I was at that Glastonbury he played where it felt like an extremely cathartic moment for him and a great one to be part of. However, since, he's morphed into a wretchedly narcissistic queen who is so hugely messed up it's not hard to see why people don't like him anymore.

And my god, that last album was TERRIBLE.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Cack Hen on January 14, 2008, 05:07:32 AM
But you don't know him

That's why I said "I think he's an attention-seeking fuckwit" and not "I know he's an attention-seeking fuckwit." Because it's what I think.

kidsick5000

I'd put him on my list for the same reason as Oasis being there.
Had everything, could have been truly huge, threw it away.

jonbob

Quote from: nagsworth on January 14, 2008, 05:05:55 AM
Oh christ yeah, That Cunt Williams easily makes my shitlist #9.

I just think he's an attention-seeking fuckwit who's desperate for a serious relationship but is too thick to manage it.
Every time I see him I can't help but think he's so far into the closet that he's nearly in Narnia.

And I do not get Bjork, I just find her faux quirky routine to be deeply dull and her music is just bores me.   

CaledonianGonzo

This probably will end in tears.

I've got dozens and dozens, but normally they don't rile me too much as they're easily avoided.  However, when something attains ubiquity and you're confronted with it everywhere, it can really get me down.  Quickly then, off the top of my head, I would describe the following 'easy targets' as 'turgid at best'.  Don't Start Me Off about:

* The Clash
* The Jam/Paul Weller in general
* Red Hot Chili Peppers
* Green Day
* Foo Fighters
* Pearl Jam
* Counting Crows
* Phil Collins
* The Black-Eyed Peas
* Faithless
* Powderfinger
* Simple Minds
* Kasabian
* Hard-Fi
* Muse
* Jack Johnson
* The Doors
* Dido
* Editors
* The Kooks (honestly the worst live band I've ever seen)
* Depeche Mode

And a lot of the usual 'pop' suspects - R. Williams, Pink, Avril Lavigne, The Beddingfields, The X-factors, etc.

And a lot of the usual post-punk, post-hardcore, post-Carl'n'Pete, indie-schmindie suspects - Bloc Party, The Futureheads, We Are Scientists, Biffy Clyro, Razorlight, Ordinary Boys, Kaiser Chiefs, Killers, etc.

And the over-singing US diva women/X Factor audition-fodder - Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Anastasia, Celine Dion, Janet Jackson, etc.

And the smooth US r'n'b men - Timberlake, Usher, R. Kelly, Akon, Nelly, Pharrell, etc.

That'll do for now.  I'm sure there's plenty more.

Don_Preston

Whoever didn't get Beefheart, try "Safe As Milk," much more in the vein of Howlin' Wolf Blues. If you don't like that, then you can't say I've not tried!

Here's my Bottom 10, well 5 in this case:

1. Gong - Bought this album for a fiver, and after I heard it, took it back and claimed that five pounds back that very same day. Never done that with anyone else.

2. Dire Straits - Somehow successful in their day. Sultans Of Swing is catchy, yes. But most of it sounds like background music, and only exciting to those of a certain age.

3. Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Incredibly lazy, yes, since their comeback, but still labelled as genius irreadless of the pap they bring out. Most fans I've met seem to forget they actaully made albums pre- Blood Sugar, where they had some integrity still. Even then they did a bollocks cover of Subterranean Homesick Blues. So well done lads.

4. James Taylor Quartet - The kind of nonsense my Dad listens to, thus I have to. Just because it's the epitome of "Cool" doesn't mean it's interesting to listen to. Acid Jazz had its day in the early 90s, then went again. Why people choose to keep that going is beyond me. Background music for two generations after the 'Straits. Which leads me onto...

5. Marcus Miller - Jazz-Funk bassist extraordinaire (behind Mark King, of course). The bass isn't really an instrument you should play lead with. Of course, people have strived to make the bass less of a rhythmic provider and added runs and fills, and if done right, such as Entwhistle et al, sounds very impressive. Playing the melody of "Come Together" on a bass just sounds ridiculous. Plus, he brought Miles Davis back from obscurity to produce some shite later albums, losing any Cool that he gave birth to.

Danger Man

Two words.

Bob Dylan.

Nothing comes close to the 'critical acclaim-load of shite' imbalance that makes up this idiot's work.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Danger Man on January 14, 2008, 09:48:25 AM
Two words.

Bob Dylan.

Nothing comes close to the 'critical acclaim-load of shite' imbalance that makes up this idiot's work.

What?  Even Froggie Went a Courtin'?

Neville Chamberlain

OK, first the undeniably shit, the bands that make me want to strap cats to rockets:

1. Coldplay
2. Oasis
3. U2
4. Echo & The Bunnymen
5. Bob Dylan
6. Pink Floyd (post Syd)
7. Robbie Williams
8. The Cure
9. The Clash
10. REM

So far, so uncontroversial, and this is before I've even started on any of that shit London scene music played by twats with ludicrous fringes, drainpipe trouses, and those stupid pointy leather shoes. Anyway, here are the bands I just don't get:

1. The Pixies - I've tried, tried, and tried again with this lot and I've never heard anything more than a bafflingly pedestrian band with boring music.

2. Butthole Surfers - In theory, right up my street - in practice, right down my toilet.

3. My Bloody Valentine - Loveless? Interestingnessless more like!!!!

Funcrusher

I don't think I'll ever hate any act more than The Darkness.

I don't really follow the current music scene enough to hate any of it. I never have to hear Kate Nash, so I'm not really bothered.

I don't get - the list is endless, but off the top of my head:
Pulp
Bjork
Nick Cave
The Clash
Radiohead

I also really like Boards of Canada and Burial

Lord of divs

Whats with all the hate for The Clash?  Surely the are one of the most important bands to come out of Punk scene?  Not only did they write rollicking good tunes, but they evolved into a great band outside the constraints of punk.  Hmmmmm Oh well, My shit list is broken down like this:

Current Bastards

The Hoosiers, stealing from ELO does not make Div's a happy man.

Dan Le Sac Vs Scroobius Pip, Whenever I have the misfortune to think to myself 'Oh I'll have a listen to that XFM, to see what the kids are listening too'.... I hear this fucker of a song.  Quoting legendary bands names and repeating the phrase 'Just a band'  makes me froth at the mouth and my eyes bleed.  Then only to hear some nasally DJ say things like, 'Song of the year, now here's the....

Artic Monkeys : Granted they are a tight band and they can write a catchy rift, but it all sounds the same, is utterly soulless and will spawn a slew of bands that all wear tight black jeans, pointy shoes and sing about how their girl 'comes from Shoreditch and she's a right bitch'  or words to that effect...It makes me cry inside.

The KOOKS - I have nothing to say except, I hope they die in some kind of chemical fire.....Is that going too far?

Kate Nash - rhyming the words bitter with fitter and trying to sound as English as possible whilst singing about absolutely nothing.  No she is not cute, she is not the voice of young Britain and yes she can fuck off.  I especially hate her new song which the receptionist at work keeps singing in a thin whiny voice 'I just want your kiss boiiyyyy'.

Bastards I just don't get

The Rolling Stones.  I'm saying they are bad or owt, I just don't get them and why they are seen as so vital.

The Foo Fighters.  Surely they are just really boring and middle of the road for a so called rock band?  Props for Dave Grohls beard though...

Bjork- Mad Swan wearing cack wench.

I thunk I will stop their, Or else I might go off into a [banned troll] style abuse geyser.

variant

The top 5 on my shit list are:

Pink Floyd (maybe I just don't get them - they just seem extraordinarily dull to me)
The B52s (squawky nonsense - exhibit a: Love Shack exhibit b: Rock Lobster. Fucking dreadful 'tunes')
Crowded House (I do get them and they are extraordinarily dull)
Red Hot Chili Peppers (one trick 'funk rock' ponies)
David Guetta (soulless Radio 1 friendly dancey shit)

kidsick5000

Quote from: Lord of divs on January 14, 2008, 11:22:24 AMThe Rolling Stones.  I'm saying they are bad or owt, I just don't get them and why they are seen as so vital.

I didnt see why they hung around for so long, then I saw them live. Stunning. The best live act I have ever seen.

I'd dash Joanna Newsom's brains out on her harp and choke Sandi Thom with her own hair. The Red Hot Chili peppers I would string up and cut into with a stanley knife over a period of weeks. Green Day, Blink 182 and all those other shitty whining non-punk bands would be put into a big pot and boiled alive, then fed to their fans. People who make and listen to happy hardcore or whatever it's called will be rounded up into a football stadium and shot. All annoying indie poseurs since the dawning of Britpop will be airlifted naked to the North pole where they will die a desperate death and be preserved in time as a warning to others. This includes Damon Albarn, Liam Gallagher, Pete Doherty, and a great many others. As for Daniel O' Donnell, he shall be allowed to live out his days in peace because he affects me not.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Lord of divs on January 14, 2008, 11:22:24 AM

Current Bastards

Dan Le Sac Vs Scroobius Pip, Whenever I have the misfortune to think to myself 'Oh I'll have a listen to that XFM, to see what the kids are listening too'.... I hear this fucker of a song.  Quoting legendary bands names and repeating the phrase 'Just a band'  makes me froth at the mouth and my eyes bleed.  Then only to hear some nasally DJ say things like, 'Song of the year, now here's the....

Oh yes, very shit indeed.

And Arctic Monkeys are definitely on my 'don't get' list. In years to come people will be utterly bemused by their success.