Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:58:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Your Music Shitlist

Started by Mindbear, January 14, 2008, 12:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mindbear

No Age could have been Four Non Blondes? Eh!? I have to disagree there, to be honest, there are so many more offensive bands, No Age wouldn't register to complain about really...although I obviously wouldn't complain about them, I really really like them. I also find your hatred of the anti folk thing a bit odd, clever lyrics surely isn't a hugely negative aspect to a musician is it?

simondykes

To be honest,again,my thing about No Age is really a reaction to being told over and over that they're amazing,hearing the record again,and not seeing anything interesting about it.To be fair,they're not in the same pits of hell as Four Non Blondes.
I've got nothing against clever lyrics,it's clever-clever lyrics,smug superior 'my brain is so original to have come up with this and your brain couldn't' sort of lyrics,which the Moldy Peaches and Jeffrey Lewis et al seem to specialize in.

Famous Mortimer

Your disagreement with them seems to be other peoples' opinions of them rather than the bands themselves, though? I mean, Daniel Johnston has never written or sung a cleverer-than-thou lyric in his life, and nor have the Ramones, certainly.

simondykes

No,my thing about clever-clever lyrics only applies to those specific artists.I just don't like the Ramones or Daniel Johnston.

alan nagsworth

Yeah. Daniel Johnston played two seperate sets at last year's ATP vs The Fans, everyone was cooing over him and saying "oh he's so clever his lyrics are so sweet."

No, he's mentally challenged and so is his music. Sympathy votes don't cut the shit for me, the bloke makes crap music.

Egyptian Feast

17 pages in and I don't think I've seen Eric Clapton mentioned yet! If I rack my brains, I still can't think of any other major figure from rock history I dislike as much. He seems like a monumentally cuntish individual (from what I've heard about his recent autobiography, he has confirmed this notion himself) and it really seeps out in his music. Barring his appearance on 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps', his monologue on 'Flower Punk' and that lovely piano bit at the end of 'Layla', there is absolutely nothing of his I like. Nope, not even Cream. I don't even like the famous riffs: 'Sunshine Of Your Love' does nothing for me and then there's 'Layla'...which has been the ringtone for one of the service phones at work for the past month. Hearing that every 2 minutes in a stressful period is no fucking picnic I can tell ya, especially when it's left unattended and you have to hear the constipated cunt sing for a few seconds...nnnggggghh!

But I digress...anyway, there's also the matter of his dodgy comments about Enoch Powell and immigration - which he has still refused to apologise for, but attempted to justify by saying he was upset about a 'foreigner pinching my wife's bum', or words to that effect. It's amusingly ironic that a man who made his fortune with music influenced by black musicans would be one of the catalysts for the formation of Rock Against Racism. What's even worse, he also wrote 'Wonderful Tonight'.

Out of all the most revered musicians of the 60s and 70s, I reckon Clapton is the only one who deserves a song as appalling as this 'tribute' by Anal Cunt:

Spoiler alert
Your Kid Committed Suicide Because You Suck

[Chorus:]
Eric Clapton sucks, Eric Clapton sucks
Eric Clapton's gay, and he's fucking gay

Your father is the 4th worst singer
After Springsteen, Seger, and Petty
You were sick of his gay fucking songs
So you jumped out a really high up window

Your father sucks so fucking bad
You knew you'd get beaten up at school
You were sick of hearing "You Look Wonderful Tonight"
So you jumped out a really high up window

I almost wish you didn't die
Because I hate the song "Tears In Heaven"
I was glad you died until I heard that song
And Kevin Sharp is gay
[close]

One good thing is that his reputation seems to have been permanently sullied by his cuntishness (and crappy music). Nobody's likely to spray 'Clapton Is God' on a wall in the future, that's for sure.

As for artists I don't get, I'll have to say The Smiths. I've given them a fair listen on numerous occasions over the years and they still haven't clicked. 'The Queen Is Dead' is a decent album and his lyrics are for the most part very witty, but Morrissey still strikes me as a colossal twat and the music just doesn't move me. Still, I could quite easily listen to one of their albums if someone put it on without getting itchy, so I don't dislike them.

simondykes

If I ever find myself liking anything by Cream,I generally assume it was down to Jack Bruce or Ginger Baker,that way I can keep my hatred of Clapton burning.

Marvin

I don't think Jeffrey Lewis or Moldy Peaches remotely write smug 'clever' lyrics, I actually find it quite hard to see how you've come to that opinion.

I also think Daniel Johnston's written some brilliant songs, so he has mental health issues and may not sound very polished when he performs them himself, but to say he writes crap music is untrue - just look at how many very talented musicians have covered his songs or namechecked him as inspiration.

I'm not saying you have to like him, it took me awhile to be honest, but his songs are not crap.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on March 15, 2008, 01:15:09 PM
I don't even like the famous riffs: 'Sunshine Of Your Love' does nothing for me

I do like it, but that's a Jack Bruce riff, is that.  With the famous Layla riff being the creation of Duane Allman, even his most famous pieces of music aren't really his own. 

The 'Unplugged' version of Layla dispenses with the riff entirely, a gesture seen by some as Clapton reclaiming the song for himself by excising Allman's contribution (and beating 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' to the 1992 Grammy for Best Rock Song in the process).

simondykes

Quote from: Marvin on March 17, 2008, 08:53:12 AM
I don't think Jeffrey Lewis or Moldy Peaches remotely write smug 'clever' lyrics, I actually find it quite hard to see how you've come to that opinion.

I also think Daniel Johnston's written some brilliant songs, so he has mental health issues and may not sound very polished when he performs them himself, but to say he writes crap music is untrue - just look at how many very talented musicians have covered his songs or namechecked him as inspiration.

I'm not saying you have to like him, it took me awhile to be honest, but his songs are not crap.

I find it hard to believe that anyone doesn't think that Adam Green or Jeffrey Lewis come across as smug on everything they sing but then,I'm not a fan,so I'm not coming at this one with an unbiased mind!!
By the way,at no point did I say that Daniel Johnston's songs were crap.As I say,I have heard his songs performed by other people and don't mind them,it's mainly his versions that do my head in.And yes,I know he's got his problems,but that doesn't mean I have to pay good money to listen to them.As for other musicians namechecking him,well....Kurt Cobain either has the worst taste in music or was on a mission to seriously take the piss in the early nineties...Johnston,The Shaggs and Shonen bleeding Knife,etc.Musicians will name drop anyone to appear 'cool',especially if that person is percieved as an outsider artist.Sorry,I really don't mean to sound like I'm having a go,I can live with other people liking stuff that I don't (big of me,I know,but believe me,I know a lot of people who can't!) but I'm trying to get across the reasons why I personally don't like these artists.Which is kind of the point of this thread.

I don't like Nick Cave. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: simondykes on March 17, 2008, 11:50:54 PM
By the way,at no point did I say that Daniel Johnston's songs were crap.

No, that was me.

simondykes

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: simondykes on March 17, 2008, 11:50:54 PM
Kurt Cobain either has the worst taste in music or was on a mission to seriously take the piss in the early nineties...Johnston,The Shaggs and Shonen bleeding Knife,etc.
Shonen Knife were a crap gimmick band, but the Shaggs fucking ruled. It wasn't just Cobain, but Yamatsuka Eye from Boredoms said "I hate rock music. I love the Shaggs", if you respect his opinion any more. The first time I heard "Philosophy of the World" I laughed, all the way through, but by play 10 I'd kinda fallen in love with it.

Her out of Destiny's Child who's currently in the UK. Not a very good singer, not very good songs. It's the mediocre-to-poor musicians I hate a lot more than the merely terrible ones, I find.

Anon

I've had people whose tastes I would normally trust recommend them to me, I've tried them again and again, but I've come to one rather simple conclusion - Yeasayer are complete bollocks.  I had to review one of their singles for the student newspaper a my uni a while back, and I just couldn't stand it: it sounded like some hipster take on some anonymous Eurovision entry (i.e. without the wilful sillyness or idiocy that makes them vaguely appealing when you've had a few and Wogan's tearing them to pieces).  Didn't get printed mind (but a glowing review of the album was, needless to say), but I've tried to perservere with them after that but I still find them unbearably annoying.  Their Jools apperance, with their complete cock of a lead singer dressed like a thirteenth-rank Brian Ferry circa '72 and acting like a nineteenth-rate David Byrne, just confirmed my views for me.  Awful, awful band.

However, the guy who dosn't like Nick Cave isn't going to be getting a cup of tea/coffee/warm beverage of their choice from me anytime soon, certainly not...

simondykes

If you think Yeasayer are bad,have you heard A Mountain Of One?Fucking hell....trust fund hippies who spent one too many summers in the Balearics listening to fucking Yes.

The new No Age album has,incredibly,lowered my opinion of them.Talentless cunts.

And don't get me started (again) on the Dan Le Sac & Scroobius Pip album.....

Phil_A

Quote from: simondykes on March 14, 2008, 11:15:51 PM
Van Der Graaf are in there because I truly believe 'Pawn Hearts' is possibly the worst album I've ever heard.

You, me, OUTSIDE! NOW!

Mindbear

Quote from: simondykes on May 17, 2008, 12:16:22 AM
If you think Yeasayer are bad,have you heard A Mountain Of One?Fucking hell....trust fund hippies who spent one too many summers in the Balearics listening to fucking Yes.

The new No Age album has,incredibly,lowered my opinion of them.Talentless cunts.

And don't get me started (again) on the Dan Le Sac & Scroobius Pip album.....

I don't know a Mountain Of One but the new No Age had me piddling my draws I loved it so much! It sounds exactly how I want a record to sound. Maybe it's just you hate that particular sound.

I love Yeasayer too. I can see why people wouldn't though.

ThickAndCreamy

The Metros

[/URL]http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=33662603[/URL]

Firstly the music is specifically designed to appeal to 12 - 16 year olds, and thats it. The music is also fucking shit beyond belief and well as the lyrics being completely shit, cliched and worthless

Worst of all though is the fact that it has possibly the most hateable lead singer of any recent band. He constantly pulls faces because it's funny, acts as if he is something special and tries to act somewhat intellectual and as if he has a point when in reality he's a complete dimwitted twat who's bands fans consist of some of the worst group of twats in the entirety of London.

Just watch this video and try and give any good reasoning to actually like this band;

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vmLCONCBME[/youtube]

simondykes

Quote from: Phil_A on May 17, 2008, 01:44:08 AM
You, me, OUTSIDE! NOW!

No,I'm quite comfortable here thanks.Unless anybody puts on any Van Der Graaf Generator,in which case I'll happily leave the room.

Phil_A

Quote from: simondykes on May 17, 2008, 04:40:10 PM
No,I'm quite comfortable here thanks.Unless anybody puts on any Van Der Graaf Generator,in which case I'll happily leave the room.

But seriously, the worst album you've ever heard? If you're going diss the Graaf, I have to insist that you back that up.

Neville Chamberlain

Yeah, explain yourself, Mr. Dykes!

El Unicornio, mang

1. Public Enemy/NWA/Tupac, most other highly rated rap artists. 'Rappers Delight' was a great novelty record, sadly the novelty never wore off. The Beastie Boys are one of the few that actually make stuff that isn't interminable crap. Being pioneers of stuff doesn't make it enjoyable to listen to.
2. Lou Reed - I think I just hate his voice
3. Nickelback - 213 million records sold, all based on ONE song idea
4. Jimmy Buffet - Music for fat middle-aged Americans in hawaiian shirts
5. The Bluetones - I can't believe I used to like these. It's like listening to a washing machine
6. The Pogues- or any kind of raucous Irish drinking music that you have to be obliterated on whiskey to appreciate.
7. Arab Strap - I don't like talking on records and I don't like Scottish accents so this was mighty fail from the start
8. Hootie and the Blowfish - I shouldn't have to explain this one
9. Jamiroquai - Just fuck off you knob
10. Limp Bizkit - How did a 35-year old car detailer get so successful?

ThickAndCreamy

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on May 19, 2008, 05:23:20 PM
1. Public Enemy/NWA/Tupac, most other highly rated rap artists. 'Rappers Delight' was a great novelty record, sadly the novelty never wore off. The Beastie Boys are one of the few that actually make stuff that isn't interminable crap. Being pioneers of stuff doesn't make it enjoyable to listen to.
Wow, I know it's only just opinion, but your opinion is wrong good sir!
Pretty much any pre 1993 rap I can't get enough of, NWA, Boogie Down Productions, Public Enemy, Dr Dre's The Chronic, Eric B And Rakim, Run DMC etc.

I suppose if you don't like it, you'll never be able to understand the brilliance of most of it. So unbelievably original, dancable and amazing for the time it was created in.

To be in sort of your perspective though I understand the huge impact grunge had in the early ninties and can see why it did at the time, yet I still don't like the music of any band related to the scene at all.

El Unicornio, mang

I just find it boring, is all. I like melodies and lyrics I can relate to on some level, and most rap music doesn't have that for me.

Lee Van Cleef

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on January 23, 2008, 12:09:58 AMSo is it the pretension or the music (or both) that you don't like?

Most definitely the music.

The Pretension doesn't bother me in the slightest, I'll go so far as to say I enjoy pretension, I mean... I listen to Merzbow ferchrissakes.  As I said (probably not too clearly) that they are that pretentious doesn't make it worth my time to listen to them over and over like I'll suddenly have a huge change of heart. They may have different tracks that sync up, time signatures that add up to some mystical Buddhist number or whatever... if the music is insufferable dreck, it's insufferable dreck.

With most performing artists you get a minority of moron fans that go "You don't get it" in response to criticism.  All Tool's bullshit has created a minority of super-moron fans that act like they've been given the key to the meaning of existence because they understand all these levels and hidden meanings in the music.  Everyone else is dust on their heels because they don't understand that "the number of syllables per line in the lyrics to "Lateralus" correspond to an arrangement of the fibonacci numbers" (Thanks shittypedia).

What's not to get?  It's music.  I've heard it.  I never want to hear it again.  All the psychobabble in the world isn't going to get me to suddenly go "Yeah, now that I know all of that, I'm so into this!"

Whatever happened to "to each their own"?

niat

Ah, you just don't get it!

I love Tool, but I couldn't give a fuck about the fibonacci sequence and the like, I just love the music.

To each their own.

Backstage With Slowdive

Things I have never seen the point of:

U2
Eric Clapton
Soundgarden
All modern R'n'B
Fightstar
All "emo"
Pretty much anything that's been on the cover of NME for the past 4 years

chand

Quote from: niat on May 20, 2008, 02:21:57 PM
Ah, you just don't get it!

I love Tool, but I couldn't give a fuck about the fibonacci sequence and the like, I just love the music.

To each their own.

Ditto. I did enjoy at one time reading some of the pretentious crap around their music, but never really took it seriously. I do like the fact that there are bands out there trying to incorporate those kinds of things into music though, you gotta have all the flavours. Mainly I like Tool though because I think they rock and have cool riffs.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: chand on May 20, 2008, 02:45:12 PM
Ditto. I did enjoy at one time reading some of the pretentious crap around their music, but never really took it seriously. I do like the fact that there are bands out there trying to incorporate those kinds of things into music though, you gotta have all the flavours. Mainly I like Tool though because I think they rock and have cool riffs.

Yeah, that's how I feel. I've no problem with them trying different things which, ultimately, are probably solely for their enjoyment, but I don't listen to them because of that. That doesn't seem like a good reason to listen to any artist. Surely the only real reason to listen to someone is because you like their music/lyrics, which is something I do with the majority of Tool's work.