Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:49:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Your Music Shitlist

Started by Mindbear, January 14, 2008, 12:56:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canted_Angle

Duffy annoys the shit out of me.

simondykes

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on May 19, 2008, 12:59:26 PM
Yeah, explain yourself, Mr. Dykes!

Nope.It's called an opinion.
To be fair,it is several years since I heard it,but I remember it annoying the hell out of me and not being musically interesting enough for me to overlook the annoying bits.I don't own it,so I can't give you a blow by blow account of my reasons for disliking it,just that in my memory it sticks out as being a particular stinker.Obviously it isn't the worst album ever made,but,y'know,don't take everything I say literally - I was just trying to point out how much I hated it.

Lee Van Cleef

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on May 20, 2008, 04:04:19 PMSurely the only real reason to listen to someone is because you like their music/lyrics

Precisely.  And when smug little shits react to your opinion with "You don't get it!" like knowing all the shit actually matters... I just roll my eyes.  As with all art forms, music is received subjectively... that's why I don't really discuss it in specifics anymore.  I find too many people spend too much time trying to push their opinion on me, and I've also found Tool give the minority of idiot fans more ammo to fire.  I don't hold it against the band, which is why I've separated my opinion of their music from my specific beef with the minority of idiot fans.

Time for sleep.

Alan Brazil

Well, I don't like Syd Barrett...so stick that out your arse.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Lee Van Cleef on May 19, 2008, 07:02:07 PM
With most performing artists you get a minority of moron fans that go "You don't get it" in response to criticism.  All Tool's bullshit has created a minority of super-moron fans that act like they've been given the key to the meaning of existence because they understand all these levels and hidden meanings in the music.  Everyone else is dust on their heels because they don't understand that "the number of syllables per line in the lyrics to "Lateralus" correspond to an arrangement of the fibonacci numbers" (Thanks shittypedia).
You seem to dislike their fans more than their music.

Lee Van Cleef

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on May 22, 2008, 07:30:08 AMYou seem to dislike their fans more than their music.

I've been very careful to maintain a distinction between the fans and the minority of idiot fans.

And I do dislike that minority more than their music.  Considering how little I think of their music it's saying a lot.

simondykes

Quote from: Alan Brazil on May 21, 2008, 08:54:16 PM
Well, I don't like Syd Barrett...so stick that out your arse.

I've kind of gone off him over the years.More of a Roger Waters Pink Floyd fan.But wouldn't really slag Syd off - there are far worse things out there,and maybe I'll start liking his stuff again at some point.

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

Quote from: simondykes on March 15, 2008, 12:10:42 AM
To be honest,again,my thing about No Age is really a reaction to being told over and over that they're amazing,hearing the record again,and not seeing anything interesting about it.To be fair,they're not in the same pits of hell as Four Non Blondes.
I've got nothing against clever lyrics,it's clever-clever lyrics,smug superior 'my brain is so original to have come up with this and your brain couldn't' sort of lyrics,which the Moldy Peaches and Jeffrey Lewis et al seem to specialize in.

Four Non Blonds are alright. Yer burd's solo album is great. Yer burd, Linda... fuck, what's her name, Linda Perry. Aye, very good album actually.

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on March 14, 2008, 08:14:33 AM
Well - whether music is needed in football grounds is another subject, but I still like Chelsea Dagger.  Maybe one for the guilty pleasures thread, but I stand by it. 

I'm more surprised that he even has the misfortune of hearing Teenage Fanclub at all.  Fair enough, its more likely in Glasgow than any other city on the planet, but its not like they're ubiquitous by any stretch of the imagination.  Even then, its only on the rare day in Mono or The 13th Note, which I'm guessing aren't particularly Murdo-esque haunts.

Remind me, where's Mono?

CaledonianGonzo

Custard

The documentary Some Kind Of Monster has turned me off Metallica for life. Not that I liked them to begin with, but now we're in hate territory.

"What's next week? The whole week is therapy yeah? Do we need that? Can we sack Phil?"

JUST MAKE A FUCKING RECORD YOU CUNTS

ThickAndCreamy

This isn't so much a shitlist but two things in hip hop that has pissed me off lately.

Skits, just why.

The fact there are 10 great songs on an album makes the skits seem so much worse as well, take 3 Feet High And Rising for example, such great songs such as Me, Myself and I, De, The Magic Number, Eye Know etc. The skits ruin the flow of the album, make it seem a chore to listen to at points and just plainly fuck me off.

So many classic hip hop albums suffer from Constant Skit Syndrome (CSS) it really annoys me and puts me off listening to certain albums at times.

One more problem: Rap beats instrumentals

Especially from the late eighties and early nineties, take Security Of The First World from Public Enemy's - ITANOMTHUB (What a shit acronym).

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pztBuPLaTbo[/youtube]

I mean honestly, why is there is a need for that, it's shit. The album would be a lot better without it.

Egyptian Feast

I like it, despite it giving Madonna the basis for 'Justify My Love'. I don't think any of It Takes A Nation Of Millions is filler, though I agree that most of the time hip-hop skits are awful.

'I Got To Tell You' by Dr. Octagon, however, is sublime. I've heard that hundreds of times and it still makes me smile.

NoSleep

Quote from: TheFatBloke on July 27, 2008, 11:16:35 PM
This isn't so much a shitlist but two things in hip hop that has pissed me off lately.

Skits, just why.

The fact there are 10 great songs on an album makes the skits seem so much worse as well, take 3 Feet High And Rising for example, such great songs such as Me, Myself and I, De, The Magic Number, Eye Know etc. The skits ruin the flow of the album, make it seem a chore to listen to at points and just plainly fuck me off.

So many classic hip hop albums suffer from Constant Skit Syndrome (CSS) it really annoys me and puts me off listening to certain albums at times.

One more problem: Rap beats instrumentals

Especially from the late eighties and early nineties, take Security Of The First World from Public Enemy's - ITANOMTHUB (What a shit acronym).

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pztBuPLaTbo[/youtube]

I mean honestly, why is there is a need for that, it's shit. The album would be a lot better without it.

I haven't analysed this to any degree, but I would suggest the skits allow the band to make an album in the order they want the tracks to run without having to ensure the key changes and tempos necessarily follow musically from one another (two important considerations). Me, I like the flow and structure of "Millions" (fuck that acronym).