Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:58:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis thread....

Started by rjd2, January 18, 2008, 12:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chand

Quote from: Mildly Diverting on January 20, 2008, 04:37:15 PM
Valid points, Vitalstatistix. It just really infuriated me that nobody seemed to recognise his talent until it came to a certain fortnight in June and then they came out of the woodwork and put ludicrous levels of expectation on him. If Andy Murray can learn not to be so frigging predictable at times (and deal with the idiotic British media), he'll go one better than 'Tiger'.

I remember the celebrated Mirror headline after Sampras went out early at Wimbledon one year - "If you bottle it this time Tim, we'll never forgive you." No pressure then.

Yeah, people only care about Wimbledon, so that's all they judge him on. And he did well at Wimbledon, just not well enough. It's a shame that he copped more flak than players who were actually just shit; dude tried his best.

I can understand people not giving a shit about tennis; I don't for the most part because it seems to mostly happen while I'm at work more than anything. But it is odd that people who don't care about it until Wimbledon still seem so personally slighted when he fails to win the fucker for them.

Mildly Diverting

Quote from: chand on January 20, 2008, 09:33:47 PM
Yeah, people only care about Wimbledon, so that's all they judge him on. And he did well at Wimbledon, just not well enough. It's a shame that he copped more flak than players who were actually just shit; dude tried his best.

And now I feel like a total hypocrite, because I was supporting Goran in that wonderful semi-final a few years back. I nearly got linched in the pub for that. Worth it though, cos it was Goran.

nb - You can tell Timbo was successful - they showed his games in pubs.

rjd2

Come on Novak!!
Also Leeyton Hewits girlfriend is a huge improvement on Miss Clisters! (spelling)

rjd2

Wow Sharapova murdered Henin this morning which was unexpected however in the males section Nadal crusaded past Niemenen which was no major shock. The idiots who laughed At Murray for going out in the first round have even more reason to feel stupid as his conqueror after beating Gasquet in the last round is in engaged in an absolutely superb match with the very dangerous Youzhny.

biggytitbo

Dammit, Youznys gone. Just Ferrer left now and I think he has a decent chance against Novak but it isn't going to be easy. I don't know where Djoko got his form in this tournament from because he's been pretty lousy the last 3 months or so whilst Ferrer has been excellent.

Mildly Diverting

Well, the Fedster's played himself into this tournament. A straight sets victory over James Blake, without getting out of second gear. The semi against Djokovic should be a classic, but my money's still on Federer for this one.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Mildly Diverting on January 23, 2008, 11:40:41 AM
Well, the Fedster's played himself into this tournament. A straight sets victory over James Blake, without getting out of second gear. The semi against Djokovic should be a classic, but my money's still on Federer for this one.

He looked in control against Blake, who to his credit gave it a real go. I'm going to stick my neck out and say Djoko will beat him in the semi though - it's his time...

rjd2

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 22, 2008, 04:28:30 PM
Dammit, Youznys gone. Just Ferrer left now and I think he has a decent chance against Novak but it isn't going to be easy.
Djokovic defeated him in straight sets and apparently was very impressive in the match. Federer his next opponent was very patchy in his first two sets against Blake who really caused Roger a lot of problems on his serve. Federer did step it up in the last set however there is enough evidence going on this performance and his match against Tipservic that Novak has a chance against him .Anyways it has the potential to be a classic match.

biggytitbo

Crikey another Tsonga upset on the cards...that was awesome!

Mildly Diverting

If he carries on like this, my unequivocal backing of Federer may look a little premature. Unbelievable tennis in that first set.

Mildly Diverting

Fucking hell - I've never seen that happen to Rafa before. That was stunning.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Mildly Diverting on January 24, 2008, 10:50:17 AM
Fucking hell - I've never seen that happen to Rafa before. That was stunning.

Amazing peformence!. I just hope it's not going to be like Gonzalez last year in the final...

biggytitbo

Looks like my theory about Federer is coming true. Come on Djoko finish him off!

Mildly Diverting

Come on Roger! It's not like either of them are playing well though. Quite a poor match.

rudi

Well bugger me.

Straight sets too.....

jaydee81

Jesus... Tsonga was pretty impressive on the highlights... His dispatching of Nadal was eerily reminiscent of Safin dismantling Hewitt in the 2005 Aussie Open final.
So... was Federer not quite ready for this one? Tsonga or Djokovic?

Mildly Diverting

Quote from: jaydee81 on January 25, 2008, 11:20:33 AM
Jesus... Tsonga was pretty impressive on the highlights... His dispatching of Nadal was eerily reminiscent of Safin dismantling Hewitt in the 2005 Aussie Open final.
So... was Federer not quite ready for this one? Tsonga or Djokovic?

Like I said earlier in the thread, Federer was completely unprepared for this tournament after his illness, but still credit to Djokovic, who will be the massive favourite in the final. But, if Tsonga plays anything like he did against Nadal...

I'll go for Tsonga to win in four sets.

biggytitbo

One things for sure we're going to get an exciting final between to brilliant young players. As great as Federer was, it was getting a bit boring him winning 3 slams every year wasn't it?

Mildly Diverting

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 25, 2008, 11:27:30 AM
One things for sure we're going to get an exciting final between to brilliant young players. As great as Federer was, it was getting a bit boring him winning 3 slams every year wasn't it?

You just did that to wind me up didn't you? Well mister, I'm not biting. Oh, it looks like I am.

buttgammon

Yes! Put that crack in your crackpipe and smoke it you cunt, Federer!

biggytitbo

Quote from: Mildly Diverting on January 25, 2008, 11:37:56 AM
You just did that to wind me up didn't you? Well mister, I'm not biting. Oh, it looks like I am.

But this isn't that much of a surprise. Federer has looked past his best for at least a year to me, even though slightly past his best was still better than everyone in 2007, it's not going to be good enough in 2008. Unless Nadal dies, he's winning the French open for the forseeable future and looking at how Nadal almost beat him at Wimbledon last year. Murray and Djoko are going to be tough to beat at the US I think. So I'd go as far to say that Federer won't win a slam this year, maybe never again.

Mildly Diverting

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 25, 2008, 12:09:33 PM
But this isn't that much of a surprise. Federer has looked past his best for at least a year to me, even though slightly past his best was still better than everyone in 2007, it's not going to be good enough in 2008. Unless Nadal dies, he's winning the French open for the forseeable future and looking at how Nadal almost beat him at Wimbledon last year. Murray and Djoko are going to be tough to beat at the US I think. So I'd go as far to say that Federer won't win a slam this year, maybe never again.

The guy is 26 years old. He's arguably the greatest tennis player that has ever picked up a racket. To suggest that he may never win another slam is whimsical to say the least. Obviously, only time will tell, but I think you're way off the mark there.

biggytitbo

I think he's equal to Sampras as been the greatest modern tennis player and 26 is still young, and he's definetly still got a chance of beating Sampras' record, but its unarguable that Federer reached his peak a while ago and inevitably he's going to slowly decline from that amazing high, whilst at the same time younger players are going to close the gap on him. I think thats beginning to happen right now. It happens to them all eventually and 26 is quite old when you look at the players snapping at his heels - Murray and Djokovic are only 20 and Nadal is 21.

Mildly Diverting

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 25, 2008, 02:11:00 PM
I think he's equal to Sampras as been the greatest modern tennis player and 26 is still young, and he's definetly still got a chance of beating Sampras' record, but its unarguable that Federer reached his peak a while ago and inevitably he's going to slowly decline from that amazing high, whilst at the same time younger players are going to close the gap on him. I think thats beginning to happen right now. It happens to them all eventually and 26 is quite old when you look at the players snapping at his heels - Murray and Djokovic are only 20 and Nadal is 21.

Sorry, but I would argue that. I know I'm repeating myself here, but Federer was in no way tournament fit before the Open. To get to the semis was an achievement in itself. Of course I realise that he will fade at some point, but I just don't think that it will be for a good couple of years. I also believe he's far superior to Sampras and that history will prove it. Should anyone else feel like pointing it out, can I get in there first and say I'm aware that I'm sounding like a gay groupie.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Mildly Diverting on January 25, 2008, 02:31:12 PM
Sorry, but I would argue that. I know I'm repeating myself here, but Federer was in no way tournament fit before the Open. To get to the semis was an achievement in itself. Of course I realise that he will fade at some point, but I just don't think that it will be for a good couple of years. I also believe he's far superior to Sampras and that history will prove it. Should anyone else feel like pointing it out, can I get in there first and say I'm aware that I'm sounding like a gay groupie.

People seem to forget how absolutely awesome Sampras was in his day, in a strong era for the mens game with players the likes of Agassi, Becker, Courier, Edberg etc. He still has more slams than Fed but if he does break that record then it will be an amazing achievement and he will rightly be crowned the best player of the modern era. Also, Sampras beat Fed in a match a few months ago, and hes 10 years older than him!

Mildly Diverting

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 25, 2008, 02:59:26 PM
People seem to forget how absolutely awesome Sampras was in his day, in a strong era for the mens game with players the likes of Agassi, Becker, Courier, Edberg etc. He still has more slams than Fed but if he does break that record then it will be an amazing achievement and he will rightly be crowned the best player of the modern era. Also, Sampras beat Fed in a match a few months ago, and hes 10 years older than him!

I'm not forgetting how great a player Sampras was. But, let's face it, he wasn't exactly the most entertaining player to watch was he? Comparing Sampras to Federer is like comparing Connors to McEnroe. Stern-eyed defiance against aesthetic genius.

And that was a charity exhibition match - I've got the feeling neither was taking it too seriously.

rjd2

So many men are going to be watching the Sharapova v Ivanovic final for all the wrong reasons tonight....

biggytitbo

Quote from: Mildly Diverting on January 25, 2008, 03:05:38 PM
And that was a charity exhibition match - I've got the feeling neither was taking it too seriously.

Deadly serious in fact! I can't imagine any great player not taking a match seriously. McEnroe still goes mental in matches now and hes about 50. I take your point about Sampras though, he's not as fluid or elegant as Fed, but there was a brutal power to his game that was exhilarating at its best. I remember him completly dismantling an inform Agassi in the Wimbledon final in 99, in what was still the most awesome single performance I've ever seen.

Mildly Diverting

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 25, 2008, 03:14:29 PM
Deadly serious in fact! I can't imagine any great player not taking a match seriously. McEnroe still goes mental in matches now and hes about 50. I take your point about Sampras though, he's not as fluid or elegant as Fed, but there was a brutal power to his game that was exhilarating at its best. I remember him completly dismantling an inform Agassi in the Wimbledon final in 99, in what was still the most awesome single performance I've ever seen.

Completely agree with you with that description of the 99 final. That was an astonishing performance. Disagree about the exhibition match though. Federer's got to play and then prepare for actual real-world tennis, so he's not going to take any risks whatsoever. And don't get me started on McEnroe and co's annual panto season...

jaydee81

Come on! Mansour Bahrami is the clown prince of tennis!