Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:31:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tennis thread....

Started by rjd2, January 18, 2008, 12:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mildly Diverting

Quote from: jaydee81 on January 25, 2008, 03:20:34 PM
Come on! Mansour Bahrami is the clown prince of tennis!

Oh, isn't he just...

I enjoy it as much as Willie Thorne's snooker player impressions.

jaydee81

I remember Sue Barker once said 'and when Mansour Bahrami arrived it was a case of SEND IN THE CLOWNS!'
I have never cringed so much before.... specially when he wheels out his 'props.'

buttgammon

Quote from: rjd2 on January 25, 2008, 03:06:47 PM
So many men are going to be watching the Sharapova v Ivanovic final for all the wrong reasons tonight....

Yes! I for one was delighted when both of them reached the final. Whichever one wins I don't mind as long as they both have to dive about a lot throughout the match and it isn't over too quickly...

And of course it will be interesting as a sporting spectacle too. Right?

biggytitbo

Quote from: buttgammon on January 25, 2008, 04:02:23 PM
Yes! I for one was delighted when both of them reached the final. Whichever one wins I don't mind as long as they both have to dive about a lot throughout the match and it isn't over too quickly...

And of course it will be interesting as a sporting spectacle too. Right?

Probably not! The womens tournament has been dire as usual. How they can demand equal pay for 40 minutes of tedious grunting I don't know compared to the gripping 4hr epics the men produce.

chand

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 25, 2008, 04:15:35 PM
Probably not! The womens tournament has been dire as usual. How they can demand equal pay for 40 minutes of tedious grunting I don't know compared to the gripping 4hr epics the men produce.

Pretty sure sportspeople don't get paid by excitement generated. Exhibit A: Chelsea.

Mildly Diverting

Well gathering from the mass of posts, I take it not even Sharapova could entice whores to get up early. For your information - she won and it was boring. Women's final in 'dull as ever' shocker.

rudi

I watched it. It gave me something to gaze at while pointlessly arguing elsewhere.

It was, indeed, ditchwater dull.

It looked really really hot there, though,. That can't help, surely?

Mildly Diverting

If it gets to a certain temperature (probably about 300 degrees c in Oz) they stop the game until it cools down. Playing in those conditions must be agony - which is possibly, but by no means certainly, as bad as watching it.

Women's tennis is in a dire condition.

rudi

QuoteIf it gets to a certain temperature (probably about 300 degrees c in Oz) they stop the game until it cools down.

They were saying last night that the organisers were refusing to tell people what the temp was on court and that it was clearly over the 35 deg allowance.

They referred to it a number of times, too, 'jokily' asking if, perhaps, their thermometer was up a mountain or kept in shade.

Mildly Diverting

I didn't have audio - was watching over a dodgy net feed. That's very interesting and would not surprise me in the least if it were true.

"Take them off, they're dying out there!"
"But think of the advertisers!"

rudi

It really was disappointing though, wasn't it?

Two players with a single game plan: hit it as hard as possible - get the rally finished. I'm wondering if the temp made that inevitable, if constantly playing in such heat has encouraged this tactic generally, or whether it's just an inevitable outcome of the modern game.

Mildly Diverting

No, I wouldn't put it down to the temperature - it's the same everywhere now. It's just so tedious to watch.

Contrast that to the men's game where there are so many players with diverse talents. I'm sounding like a right misogynist, but the women's game bores me to tears. Yet, I'm old enough to remember the Navratilova/Evert/King years when it was easily the equal to the men's game.

rudi

Do you think it's savable, or will that require a rule/equipment change?

biggytitbo

Quote from: rudi on January 26, 2008, 03:37:06 PM
Do you think it's savable, or will that require a rule/equipment change?

I'd make them play 5 sets for start. There doesn't appear to be any reason at all why they play 3. Apart from that there isn't much that can be done really, the men's game had a similar lull when there were a lot of big servers dominating but look at the variety of the top players now. I guess it'll work itself out in time.

Vitalstatistix

I don't know, Henin's been playing some wonderful stuff over the past few years. As a contrast to the heavy-hitters who are so prevalent in the women's game, she has an exquisite touch, a fine array of shots and has been involved in many thrilling, gutsy comebacks.

I can't think of many others like her though so, yea, women's tennis is pretty darn boring.

Mildly Diverting

Quote from: Vitalstatistix on January 26, 2008, 05:00:44 PM
I don't know, Henin's been playing some wonderful stuff over the past few years. As a contrast to the heavy-hitters who are so prevalent in the women's game, she has an exquisite touch, a fine array of shots and has been involved in many thrilling, gutsy comebacks.

Very good point. Henin is an exceptional player and has some some wonderful variety about her game. Sadly, in this crazy world we live in, she'll never be regarded as anything much because she's short and a bit plain. Cos if female players don't give you the rfh, what's the point in them, eh lads?

Mildly Diverting

Well, apart from Djokovic vs Federer, Tsonga vs Nadal and to a slighter degree, Sharapova vs Henin, that was a very poor tournament. Both 'showpiece' finals were yawn-fests. The French Open had better be good. I don't know if Federer will finally break his jinx, but I really don't see it being Nadal this year.

rjd2

Quote from: Mildly Diverting on January 28, 2008, 03:23:01 PM
Well, apart from Djokovic vs Federer, Tsonga vs Nadal and to a slighter degree, Sharapova vs Henin, that was a very poor tournament.

Erm did you not watch Roddick v Kohlschreiber? Hewitt v Bagthatis (spelling) Federer v Tipservic?

Vitalstatistix

All of Baghdatis' matches looked pretty entertaining.

Mildly Diverting

Quote from: rjd2 on January 28, 2008, 04:32:23 PM
Erm did you not watch Roddick v Kohlschreiber? Hewitt v Bagthatis (spelling) Federer v Tipservic?

Quote from: VitalstatistixAll of Baghdatis' matches looked pretty entertaining.

Ah, just ignore me, I must be having a selective memory day.

Mildly Diverting

Andy Murray's struggling a little out there. He's a set up, but is a break down in the second. Interesting that Federer criticised his style of play after Murray's win - it's very unlike the Fedster to be judgmental of another player.

rjd2

Anyways a bit of a late bump for the French Open. At the moment Nadal is about to wrap another French open and his domination has being truly astonishing the last two weeks,. He has not dropped a set which is remarkable especially given the fact that two of his helpless opponents were Djokovic and Roger. I know most will put Rogers mauling down to the fact that Rafa is truly amazing on clay which is true but I think we are beginning to see the slow decline of one of the greatest of all time. I have a very strong feeling that judging by his recent patchy form that he will not win Wimbledon. He had to produce an amazing performance to hold of Rafa last year and I really don't think judging by his reconfirm he can ever recapture such levels f brilliance. it's a shame to see it really is.Rafa was 7/1 to win last time I checked that's a  really good bet.

biggytitbo

Quote from: rjd2 on June 08, 2008, 04:00:01 PM
Anyways a bit of a late bump for the French Open. At the moment Nadal is about to wrap another French open and his domination has being truly astonishing the last two weeks,. He has not dropped a set which is remarkable especially given the fact that two of his helpless opponents were Djokovic and Roger. I know most will put Rogers mauling down to the fact that Rafa is truly amazing on clay which is true but I think we are beginning to see the slow decline of one of the greatest of all time. I have a very strong feeling that judging by his recent patchy form that he will not win Wimbledon. He had to produce an amazing performance to hold of Rafa last year and I really don't think judging by his reconfirm he can ever recapture such levels f brilliance. it's a shame to see it really is.Rafa was 7/1 to win last time I checked that's a rally really good bet.

I've said it before but I actually think Roger has been struggling for at least a year, it's just that he was so far ahead of everyone that even with a 10% decline he was still better than his opponents. Today he was truly woeful, however great Nadal is. The problem now for Federer is he has no slack anymore, he can't afford to drop any further because the two players below him have caught up. I don't think he'll win Wimbledon again and I don't think he'll beat Sampras's record of 14 titles. Rafa for Wimbledon and Novak for the US for me.

biggytitbo

If you're not watching it, this Nadal - Djokovic match on BBC2 right now is an absolute cracker.

rjd2

Anyways no tennis talk? Its being an interesting Wimbledon, the gorgeous Sharapova and Ivanovic are gone which is sad for obvious reasons. It's the men's side which is the most interesting for me, a rejuvenated Safin destroyed a very lacklustre Djokovic and lots of other seeds such as the very frustrating Nalbandian, Blake,Roddick and not as shocking David Ferrer have gone. I cant see past Roger or Rafa although if looking for a dangerous outsider for a punt, Gasquest has being very impressive this week. Anyways today Murray plays Haas who seems to have got some form back, he then is scheduled to face Gasquest then Nadal after that, so if he wants to do something special he really has his work cut out.

biggytitbo

Nadal - Federer final for me again with Nadal improving on his almost performance last year and beating Federer in 4 or 5. Nadal's improving on grass all the time and his development even from last year is frightening. He's even got a big serve now, which is ominous.

Vitalstatistix

Verdasco annihilated Berdych yesterday, with some of the best tennis I've seen in a long time. They were saying this year's tournament may well see the Spaniard fulfilling his world-class potential. Can't believe Djokovic is gone!

matt

Well it seems Verdasco is out after an epic 5-setter with Ancic. Looking forward to seeing the highlights of that one. Ancic looked good against Ferrer too but I think he's got Federer next hasn't he?

Tough one for Murray this evening against Gasquet. Bookies have Murray at 3rd favourite after Nadal and Federer though, which seems insane.

biggytitbo

If Murray beats Gasquet I'll eat my hat. But I'll be eating it with a smile on my face!

George Oscar Bluth II

He's third favourite at about 28/1 on betfair though, but still...