Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:33:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Music you loved as a Child.

Started by A Passing Turk Slipper, April 13, 2004, 11:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neville Chamberlain

As a wee one, I distinctly remembered being scared shitless by A Day in the Life. Not only did the song scare me witless, but it came in a very interesting blue vinyl format which further troubled and intrigued my fevered mind...

As a kid, I was hugely affected by whatever music was going on around me in the home, be it my dad playing spooky English folk stuff like the Incredible String Band, Steeleye Span, The Albion Band, or Fairport Convention (A lot of that stuff is pretty fucked up indeed, especially the imagery that went with it...English country manor houses with big ugly gargoyles, Morris dancers, fools and jesters beating maidens with pigs bladders and things. To this day, I find Morris dancers highly sinister...), or my brother playing anything from Shakin' Stevens and Status Quo to Brand X and The Damned, The The, Stranglers, Joy Division, or The Cropdusters (anyone remember them??? Please reply if you do!). As I matured into an 11-year old scumbag, it was them mighty Cardiacs wot grabbed me. I have been held in their sordid grasp ever since.

Hmmm, alongside this impeccable music taste nurtured from a very young age (wink wink and all that), I also had a penchant for Middlesborough-based 80s chart-toppers Red Box who released timeless (and in my opinion still excellent) classics, such as Chenko, For America, and Lean On Me! I was absolutely obsessed by this lot! And A-Ha as well for some reason. I remember spending a whole day writing the lyrics to The Sun Always Shines on TV with my new calligraphy pen.

I was an odd child.

Jemble Fred

All Aboard didn't have Puff The Magic Dragon or LS Bumblebee, but I do recall a little friends having an album with them on, which may have been a sequel LP. The tracks on All Aboard that I recall were:
Morningtown Ride (The Seekers, I think, not sure of title, but lovely)
Changing Guards At Buckingham Palace
The Runaway Train
The Owl and the Pussycat (a real fave)
My Boomerange Won't Come Back (Charlie Drake)
Two Little Boys (Rolf)
Nelly The Elephant (the proper one, not the rocky single)
Teddybear's Picnic (The ancient version that was on The Singing Detective)
My Brother (Terry Scott)
Ernie (Benny Hill)
Day-O (Bugs Bunny & Speedy Gonzales)
Right Said Fred (Bernard Cribbins)
The Laughing Policeman
The Ugly Duckling (I used to have a special dance to this, under a yellow blanket with a peg on my nose)
There Was An Old Woman Who Swallowed a Fly...

I think that's the lot.

So who else remember Animal Krackers? Bongo, Rory, Twang and Boots? Basically an animal Beatles for tots, who did happy shiny (and very good) versions of rock songs like 'January', 'Lucy In The Sky', 'Yellow Submarine', 'Sunnyside Up' etc. Love that album too. And many Disney soundtracks.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Come to think of it I can remember another song that I made my dad play all the time when I was fairly small. I don't remember who it was by or what it was called but bizarrely I remember a few of the lyrics. They went something like 'Now a country boy named Shorty, and a city boy named Dan, had to prove who could run the fastest to win Miss Lucy's hand,' and I remember other little snippets about how 'Miss Lucy had fixed the race' to let Shorty win. I don't know how I have managed to remember that, I can hear the tune in my head now as well. It may well be a fairly famous song but I haven't heard it since my Dad last played it.

There used to be a tape that would get played in the car regularly when I was a nipper.  I can't tell you more than a handful of the tracks that are on it, but every time I hear one I'll think, "Ooh, this was on the car tape".  Tracks that I can remember at present are...

Hanging On The Telephone - Blondie
Cool For Cats - Squeeze
I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor

Other child car memory records include Heaven 17's album The Luxury Gap, which I swiped from home at Christmas, and was disappointed to discover that, Temptation and Touched By The Wheels of Industry aside, it's a slow dirge.

Jemble Fred

Christ, your parents were 'with it'! All we got in the car was Max Boyce ('I went to Barry Island on the last week of July...') country & western and the Henry Cooper Party Singalong!

Saaahmbody stole moi gaaaahhhhhhhhl....

(With Tiptoe Through The Tulips, Roll Out The Barrel, I'm Henry The Eighth I Am, The Old Bull and Bush, If You Were The Only Girl In The World, The Sheik of Araby (Without a shirt) and many, many, oh dear, many more... Presumably from Play-Tel)

Well, The Luxury Gap was released around 1983 at a guess, which would've meant that my mum was only 29/30 at the time.  I'm not much younger now.

joFFeman

the beatles, billy joel, bob dylan, pink floyd, dr demento compilations, weird al yankovic, dead milkmen.

El Unicornio, mang

When I was about 9-10 I liked The Pet Shop Boys. I even had a Pets Shop Boys badge which I wore for school. Thankfully I stopped wearing it when I entered High School.

I also liked that 'Star Trekking' song and later, I had a compilation tape of songs taped off Metro Radio like 'Man in the Mirror' by MJ, 'Love Shack' by The B-52's, 'Shiny Happy People' by REM and 'We Didn't Start the Fire' by Billy Joel.

fanny splendid

Quote from: "joFFeman"dead milkmen.

Are they a famous band in the States?

I downloaded a song by them called 'Methodist Colouring Book' because I liked the title. The song's quite good, too.

Dead Milkmen - Methodist Colouring Book

5 Knuckle Shuffle

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"Come to think of it I can remember another song that I made my dad play all the time when I was fairly small. I don't remember who it was by or what it was called but bizarrely I remember a few of the lyrics. They went something like 'Now a country boy named Shorty, and a city boy named Dan, had to prove who could run the fastest to win Miss Lucy's hand,' and I remember other little snippets about how 'Miss Lucy had fixed the race' to let Shorty win. I don't know how I have managed to remember that, I can hear the tune in my head now as well. It may well be a fairly famous song but I haven't heard it since my Dad last played it.

That'll be Cut across shorty by Faces

The lyrics are here http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Cut-Across-Shorty-lyrics-Faces/952748AC7599480C48256AA80005D7A5

sore bottom mum

I went from Adam Ant to Nik Kershaw to Tears for Fears to Depeche Mode and the Cure... in my growing years.... to be frank. I also saw Howard Jones supported by Strawberry Switchblade in 1983 in Hammersmith.

cobainchild94

Octopuses Garden by the Beatles sticks out as does Nik Kershaws I Won't Let The Sun Go Down On Me.......weird I had forgotten that song until just then.

Crazy Penis

Simon and Garfunkel, ELO, Fleetwood Mac, Status Quo, were what I listened to the most, and that I can remember tracks of but there were many other artist, like Jethro Tull, Clannad, Cliff Richard (ugh?!) that I would happily listen to.
Most of it was from my dads influence. My mum isn't much of a music person.

joFFeman

Quote from: "fanny splendid"
Quote from: "joFFeman"dead milkmen.

Are they a famous band in the States?

I downloaded a song by them called 'Methodist Colouring Book' because I liked the title. The song's quite good, too.

Dead Milkmen - Methodist Colouring Book

no, not at all. my next door neighbor's older brother got me into them, he was always into underground stuff, and introduced us kids to some of it.. he gave me his cassette of 'big lizard in my backyard' and it changed my life. :)

Bogey

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"Terry Jacks - Seasons in the Sun[/b] (I read in passing the other day that this was a translation of a Jacques Brel song, is that really true?!

It is indeed. The original is called "Le Moribond". It's available on the pretty well-endowed two-disc best of thing that came out a few years ago.
Although for the best possible Brel experience, I highly recommend the superlative 3-DVD set that came out this year. Hor-hee-hor!

Lumiere

I thought the beatles were amazing, but I got a lot of stick for it. Same with JJ Cale.

JesusAndYourBush

From my parents record collection, as a kid I listened a lot to the first 2 Beatles albums, and a couple of Beatles singles (Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane, I Feel Fine/She's A Woman).  The needle jumped halfway through I Feel Fine and even today when I hear the song it's hard to hear it without remembering exactly where the needle jumped.

My Grandad had a collection of 78's and two I listened to a lot were Pryors Band - The Whistler and His Dog / The Fillmore Band - The Whistling Farmer Boy, and Henry Hall - Teddy Bears' Picnic / Hush Hush Hush, Here Comes The Bogeyman.  I've searched in vain to find the Bogeyman on the net, so if anyone has a link to an mp3 I'd be grateful.

Rats

that needle thing made me grin. I had a battered tape of swoon when I was little and you know how if the tape is twisted, it'll play the other side backwards. On the second song it would go "Some expressions take me back" and then there'd be this 2 second funky backward guitar. Now everytime I listen to the cd, I totally miss it because it fit so well. I taped appetite for destruction off my friend when it came out too on my dads record player and we went out while it was recording but the needle had stuck so it went to about half way through my michelle and when it got to the line "when you're all alone" it would go "when you're a-" then skip back and it sounded like "when you're rocking" for the rest of the tape. Right, I'm boring myself now.

moonrainbow

I remember sitting under  the ironing board listening to my mum singing along to Nelly the Elephant on the radio on Worldwide Family Favourites

phes

My first musical memory is Steve Winwood's - Arc of a diver. Heard it again recently and it's actually not bad.

dan dirty ape

War Of The Worlds, with those pesky 'oooooh-lahhhhh'ing martians. I always tended to get bored by side 3 when the Red Weed was everywhere and Phil Lynnott showed up, but I would play the first half incessantly.

'...and slowly, but surely, they drew their plans against us.....

morgs

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"Aside from the All Aboard LP, which included tracks like My Boomerang Won't Come Back, Two Little Boys, Morning Town Ride, My Brother, Right Said Fred, Teddy Bear's Picnic, Nelly The Elephant etc

Yes! Had that too!  Then it was Kings of the Wild Frontiers and The Best of Blondie along with Complete Madness.  And Remember You're A Womble of course.

the hum

Various TV themes - Knightrider, Street Hawk (done by Tangerine Dream I believe), Terrahawks
ELP - Fanfare for the Common Man
Simple Minds - Theme for Great Cities
some track that I don't know the title of or the artist, although I have a feeling it might have been the Art of Noise.
New Order - Blue Monday

...and I've just noticed the bulk of the above is all instrumental, yet these days I really appreciate good singing.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "the hum"some track that I don't know the title of or the artist, although I have a feeling it might have been the Art of Noise.
Does it (literally) go "Dummm. Dummm. Duh-dum-dum-dum-dum-dummm.  Dummm. Dummm. Dummm.  (Tra-la-la.)"?

the hum

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"
Quote from: "the hum"some track that I don't know the title of or the artist, although I have a feeling it might have been the Art of Noise.
Does it (literally) go "Dummm. Dummm. Duh-dum-dum-dum-dum-dummm.  Dummm. Dummm. Dummm.  (Tra-la-la.)"?

Close (to the Edit), no.  Actually I'm really not sure it was AoN, it was on a long since lost tape copy of my brother's along with a load of other synthy stuff.  It featured a vocoded voice in parts, the words of which I could never work out, and some cheesy by today's standards synths.  It was a very catchy tune anyway.

TJ

Lumiere

Spiteface

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"Cool For Cats - Squeeze

My Mum and Dad were huge Squeeze fans, so their music takes me back to long car journeys to Hartlepool...

Also, I remember liking some really dodgy dance music in the early 90's esp. 2 Unlimited.