Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:25:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PSN: No Subscription Required

Started by Jim Jarmusch, January 24, 2008, 09:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rubbish Monkey

My favourite bit of the night was trying to run someone over with a moped and just bouncing off rather pathetically.

I seem to be getting "The Connection to one or more players has been lost" problem quite often, which quite a few people seem to be suffering from and is very annoying as I can only connect to a few games unless i'm hosting.

falafel

Trying to decide whether i prefer auto aim or not. It livens the pace up no end but also makes drivebys pointless as it,s better to just get out of the car and start shooting than try to aim at someone who's locked on to you already. I think i prefer it though, i win much more often with it on...

Definitely improved after giving up on piddling around with settings. A word of advice to anyone: turning off the blips makes any deathmatch with fewer than 15 people into a long and tedious game of hide and seek. Don't do it. I think 'distant' might work so you can find the right locale and then hunt each other down... Want to make use of the fact that crouching makes the tag vanish from over your head so you can actually try to be a bit more stealthy.

On balance, the diversity of games you can play and play well with gta online is surely unparalleled. The balls.

Quote from: falafel on May 05, 2008, 03:59:42 AMA word of advice to anyone: turning off the blips makes any deathmatch with fewer than 15 people into a long and tedious game of hide and seek.

Ha, I wondered what was happening with that last game I was in with you. I just spent nearly the full session driving around looking for people, zero kills or deaths. Got completely lost.

The auto aim is worth having switched on. The streets are that long and so many wide open spaces that aiming long distance without it is difficult and partly luck. Lining up the cross hair inside the twelve pixels your enemies are taking up far too sensitive.

Apart from driving in need of health, quick escape or to gain weapons the vehicles aren't really much service. You need to run over someone twice for them to die. In one game I must of shot at the fuel tank with the shotgun and close range and the car caught on fire. Ten seconds later it blows up kills the driver and I didn't get credited with the kill. "Name of Player has Died".

PAGATRON

Hey folks just got my PS3 a few days ago and I've got GTA4, Burnout Paradise and the Orange Box.
I'm gonna get a few more games this weekend.

During the meantime feel free to add me: PAGATRON

Cool, welcome aboard. Just added you now.

Borboski will be here soon.

PAGATRON

Thanks dude.

Unfortunately I can't go GTA4 online, apparently there's issues with this and the BT homehub and there's no fix on the horizon, MEH!!

Looks like it has to be Team Fortress and Burnout for the moment.

Homehub and GTAIV problems if you've just got a wired connection or wireless too?

I read a few comments about it just then. Crap Firmware from BT blame, they provide a shit service.

Some bargains for new owners. Second and third best PS3 exclusives after MGS4.

Uncharted Drakes Fortune £18.99 @ CD Wow
save extra quid if you use a NUS link that can be found on HUKD

Resistance: Fall of Man £17.99 @ ChoicesUK

Reached 12,000 kills now and on a good 3/1 ratio on each match.

PAGATRON

YAY!! apparently the latest 2.36 update has fixed the problem, that saved me a few quid getting a new router.
GTA4 online here we come.

Oh and once again anybody feel free to add me: PAGATRON

Rubbish Monkey

Quote from: PAGATRON on June 26, 2008, 10:03:20 PM
YAY!! apparently the latest 2.36 update has fixed the problem, that saved me a few quid getting a new router.
GTA4 online here we come.

Oh and once again anybody feel free to add me: PAGATRON

Ah hopefully its also fixed the problem with Be then.

I dont know if it was the latest update but the friends lists has been expanded to 100 people.

Penfold

new firmware update 2.40 due in wednesday.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/06/30/firmware-v240-walkthrough-part-2-trophies/

lots of new features included, i'm not too bothered about the trophies thing but the in game XMB and music will be handy.

Quote from: Penfold on June 30, 2008, 04:25:12 PM
new firmware update 2.40 due in wednesday.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/06/30/firmware-v240-walkthrough-part-2-trophies/

lots of new features included, i'm not too bothered about the trophies thing but the in game XMB and music will be handy.

Hope there's a few more video codecs coming onto the PS3.  I acquired 34 episodes of the Rock 'n' Roll Years and my PS3 won't bloody well play them!

Penfold

what codec do they use?

i've not used my ps3 for many video files, just the odd film in avi and it seemed fine, although i copied them to the HDD first which apparently helps.

in other news, Dualshock 3 controllers out this friday as well

Consignia

It's not just the codec, it's the container. Many video's these days are in the MKV container which I don't think will ever be supported officially due to it's association with pirated HD material. Also the PS3 doesn't support the h264 codec in an AVI container (not suprisingly as it's a stupid combination, but a series I follow is distributed in such a way).

Oh I don't know what codecs they are, I just assumed it'd be something like that because the files are avi and mpg which I was expecting the PS3 to play with no problems.  How do I find out what codecs the files are using (stupid question I know)?

My Giddy Aunt

So. Anyone got 2.4? Doesnt seem to want to download for me at the mo, im sure its busy. Sounds rather good though!

ThickAndCreamy

Quote from: My Giddy Aunt on July 02, 2008, 10:32:04 PM
So. Anyone got 2.4? Doesnt seem to want to download for me at the mo, im sure its busy. Sounds rather good though!
They took it down, due to bugs.
http://kotaku.com/5021575/sony-pulls-ps3-240-firmware-after-reported-problems

My PS3 has started playing all the video files on my nas with no problem and I haven't altered the system settings in any way, nor have I messed about with the files.  How queer.

I'm not particularly fussed about 2.40, what I'm looking forward to more is the delayed introduction of Play TV.  It seems a bit flawed wrt HD, but should be a very slick PVR when it arrives.  As I don't plan to delete anything, I'm going to upgrade my HDD soon, has anybody tried this yet?

Rubbish Monkey

The blue screw can be a bit of a bugger, and quite soft. I ended up totally ruining mine and had to use a pair of needle nose pliers to undo it in the end. Apart from that its fairly simple.

Ah, thought as much.  A lot of people seem to have had that same problem with the blue screw.  What size drive did you go for?  I think I'm going to wait until the 500gb Samsung spinpoint becomes widely available - I know hitachi released a 500gb drive recently but apparently it's a non standard size and won't fit in the cradle.

Rubbish Monkey

I just got a 250gb as my PC is hooked up to the telly anyway, which makes having movies on the PS3 a bit pointless... (unless im going to stream it to my PSP when im in bed).

I also got a rather handy SATA hot swap dock which im using the old 60gb drive instead of my laptop. Which should stop my collection of external drives from growing any bigger and will come in handy if when I upgrade again.

My Giddy Aunt

2.4.1 is out now then. Think it will be a good improvement myself, I mean the accessing the menu without exiting what you're doing.

So whats this Play TV thingy all about (I dont read the press)? Will I be able to pump my Sky box through it and record shows off that? (I know Sky+ exists but I havent got enough feeds for it in my flat).

Quote from: My Giddy Aunt on July 09, 2008, 06:57:00 AM
So whats this Play TV thingy all about (I dont read the press)? Will I be able to pump my Sky box through it and record shows off that? (I know Sky+ exists but I havent got enough feeds for it in my flat).

You can't put your sky through it.  You plug the coaxial lead from your roof aerial into it and connect it to the PS3 via one of the usb slots.  It turns the PS3 into a freeview recorder.  Sony are trying to iron out issues relating to playing games whilst you record TV, I think that's why there's been the delay in bringing it to market.

PAGATRON

Got 2.41 last night, everything seems to work fine so far playing Super Stardust ver 4 and managed to get two trophies. No major issues i've noticed.

On another issue 'The roof is leaking' tag, what the hell does that mean?

Rubbish Monkey

Quote from: aaaaaaaaaargh! on July 08, 2008, 09:36:05 AM
I'm not particularly fussed about 2.40, what I'm looking forward to more is the delayed introduction of Play TV.  It seems a bit flawed wrt HD, but should be a very slick PVR when it arrives.

September 10th. And it's confirmed that it will record the telly while you're playing games!

Quote from: Rubbish Monkey on July 18, 2008, 02:14:52 PM
September 10th. And it's confirmed that it will record the telly while you're playing games!

Ah, great stuff.  As I said a couple of posts up, I assumed that the delay was to ensure you could play games while recording TV.  Would have been a major flaw, probably a dealbreaker for some, if you couldn't have done that.  It's been priced up at €100 which means that we'll probably have to buy it for £100, although the way the €/£ exchange rate is going at the moment £100 could end up being like a bargain!

http://www.digital-tv.co.uk/blog/sony-announces-play-tv-launch-date-and-price.html

Rubbish Monkey

Who's got Pixel Junk Eden then? I think its a bargin at £4.99.

Penfold

i got Wolf of the battlefield: commando 3 instead, mostly because i tried the pixeljunk eden demo and was rubbish at it and also i moved house a month ago and tend to buy more multiplayer stuff to play with my 3 housemates. not that it ever works out that way and i'll probably end up watching them play MGS4 on the big tv instead.

i've noticed a few people have updated their hard drives, any recommendations on price and size?

oh, and has anyone played siren blood curse yet? is it good? is it good for people who have never played survival horror games before?

i'm a playstation network whore.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/37820.html?type=

The Last Guy will be a purchased for sure on the strength of their adverting campaign.

Siren Blood Curse looks worth £20 download. 9GB of space, would of preferred the choice of Blu-Ray on day one but don't think I can wait now. I'm surprised by the lack of reviews since its more of a "legitimate" game than PixelJunk, Fl0w.

I thought the PS3 was limited 250GB internal hard drive. Thats what I went for a few months back. £50 from eBuyer, Western Digital.

Rubbish Monkey

Siren is great, but you may want to wait for the blu ray version. As it is im playing a chapter each night before bed and its great. I did like the other Siren games mind you, this one is quite a bit alot easier. I did read one review (1up possibly) and the guy hated survival horror and he liked it.

I opted against commando as i have enough dual stick shoot em ups to last me a lifetime, that said..... the future PSN line up is looking nothing short of fantastic.

We really need a good old whore night together, if sparced can get off resistance and the rest of you fuckers can get online. ;¬)

Pseudopath

Quote from: Aki Kaurismäki on August 02, 2008, 01:44:36 AM
I thought the PS3 was limited 250GB internal hard drive. Thats what I went for a few months back. £50 from eBuyer, Western Digital.

I don't think there is a limit. I've installed this 320GB drive without problems and many PS3 users seem to have installed this 500Gb drive without problems. You can also get adaptors which allow external drives to act as the internal drive so you're not limited by size, although the result would probably be a bit ugly.