Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:45:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PSN: No Subscription Required

Started by Jim Jarmusch, January 24, 2008, 09:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
The games I've got are Resistance, Drakes Uncharted, Call of Duty 4 and The Orange Box. Then just Warhawk and Flow from PSN store. I almost bought Burnout myself, an order went through for it and the BluRay remote for only £40 at Gameplay but my card had insufficient funds. By the time I had money in the account again the offer was over.

The first three in my list should all be bought before Orange Box. Half Life 2 is overrated and I don't think Team Fortress 2 is on par with anything RFOM and COD4 has in terms of different matches to suit an individuals taste.

COD4 online starts out frustrating as you need to unlock all the best features but once you have several perks and can spawn with your favourite style of weapon already selected it becomes fantastic. I've really warmed up to it now. Even though I paid full retail price for it I'd go with saying its pretty much two games in one, single and multiplayer.

Resistance can be hilarious if you're on with the right people. I've played 202 matches now and some of them have went on for hours. My latest stats.

Gran Turismo 5: Prologue comes out the end of the month. £17.99 and will have some online, eight cars against each other and I think five different tracks. The full game isn't going to be out for a long time so its worth picking up.

Until GTA4 comes out I don't think we're going to see the few people with PS3's on here playing together. We will all own that.

falafel

Hmm. Oops. Bought The Orange Box today before reading your post. That said, I do enjoy a bit of HL2 and was meaning to get eps 1 and 2 anyway. Local GAME has Resistance preowned for a paltry £14 so I might pick that up tomorrow if you reckon it's worth a pop. Already got Uncharted and completed it and absolutely love the balls off it. Had CoD3 from LF for a week or two, got quite far in the single player then got bored and sent it back - I know 4 is a different kettle of fish but I guess I'll have to wait to get it full price now, I'm not so flush. Do want it though. Thatnks for the advice, very sound stuff.

Got the Gran Turismo HD Demo thing and it's a lot of fun, and 18 quid for the Prologue doesn't seem too bad. Maybe when April pay comes in, I guess.

GTA though, Christ. I spent a week locked in my house completing San Andreas when it came out, God knows what I'll be like with this one.

Penfold

i'm a bit of a PSN whore.

I had a look and noticed i've bought about 12 games from it during the last 6 months.

about 4 of them i love.

4 i completed and may pick up again eventually

and 4 i will never play, mostly due to reliance on sixaxis controls, DAMN YOU SKY DIVING!!!

also just set up a US PSN account so i can get the MLB The Show 08 demo, they have a few good things on there, Tekken 2 for example, and the ability to download PSP demos directly through it.

Currently waiting for God of War: Chains of Olympus demo to finish.

jutl

Quote from: falafel on March 03, 2008, 07:33:09 PMI know 4 is a different kettle of fish but I guess I'll have to wait to get it full price now, I'm not so flush.

You could try this:

http://hotshizzle.blogspot.com/2008/03/call-of-duty-4-ps3-2899-delivered.html

falafel

Ah, just did, and they've put the price back up. Cheers though, will look out for similar offers...

Quote from: jutl on March 04, 2008, 02:37:31 PM
You could try this:

http://hotshizzle.blogspot.com/2008/03/call-of-duty-4-ps3-2899-delivered.html

Is that your blog Jutl? The Tinyurl that can only be disguising affiliate links don't work. I'd already posted Empire Direct offer two replies up the page.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfICeBtVv8U[/youtube]

I'll probably get that Escher influence Echochrome PSN game its out on the Japan store and we'll get it soon. I may setup international accounts to grab a few more demos myself seems easy enough instead of waiting. Understand you can't pay for content thats not in Europe though, same as iTunes worldwide policy.

Penfold

Quote from: Aki Kaurismäki on March 06, 2008, 04:43:03 PM

I'll probably get that Escher influence Echochrome PSN game its out on the Japan store and we'll get it soon. I may setup international accounts to grab a few more demos myself seems easy enough instead of waiting. Understand you can't pay for content thats not in Europe though, same as iTunes worldwide policy.

got that today after setting up a hong kong account, which seems to be the same as the japanese store but in english.

found the sixaxis control to be a bit of a pain at first but got the hang of it evetually.

not found a way to pay for american content yet, last night my housemate wanted to buy the full version of super puzzle fighter 2 but the payment region is locked to america. hopefully they'll release it on the euro store but its been on the jap/us store since september and still nothing here yet which is ridiculous.

jutl

chand

Went back to COD4 last night and won my first free-for-all. Man, I was totally on fire. 25 kills and my nearest rival only had 20. They were all so pwned. All but one of them were higher ranked than me, too.

falafel

Now have Resistance, good good, so I can get thrashing away. Thrillz.

My Giddy Aunt

I am NickMuzz

Ive got FIFA, Motorstorm, Resistance, Virtua Tennis, Virtua Fighter, Assassins Creed
(was i meant to list the ones that didnt have online options too?)

Penfold

PSP Echochrome demo available from here

Rubbish Monkey

Hooray, after a year i have internet access at home and im going to add all you strangers...

mine's mnky by the way

Rubbish Monkey

hate to post twice in a row but me and me mate had some good tekken related fun tonight.

i also maybe should of mentioned the games i have with online shit...

warhawk, tekken, burnout, motorstorm, resistance, fight night, pes and team fortress 2.

i have had most fun with tekken and warhawk "capture the flag" comes a close second.

I've just had another four hour session of Resistance Capture the Flag.

I didn't know about that Tekken 5 game. I would probably prefer to wait for the new Street Fighter to come out now depending if the reviews say its worth the money.

GT Prologue release date is approaching. WipEout HD also looks promising from the recent trailers. The original WipEout is only £3.49, I can remember enjoying it more than F-Zero at the time. Only how bad the music will sound puts me off from getting it.

Penfold

i bought the original wipeout and i must have forgotten how impossible it is.

everytime you slightly hit the barrier you lose all your speed, it's annoying.

hopefully they'll release wipeout 2097 as i remember enjoying that, and the soundtrack.

destruction derby is another which is a lot harder than i remember it being.

falafel

Played Resistance online for the first time last night. It was great, but then I kept getting killed ridiculously quickly by basically everyone and it got a bit dull. I don't know if I'd got the patience to put in the necessary hours to make myself better at it... I tried to go for a 'ranked' gaem and ended up playing against a bunch of 'generals' for some reason. Besides, still working on finishing the mighty fun single player game and getting skill points etc.

Any ideas on when Wipeout HD is released then?

Penfold

It's due in spring so hopefully late April but more likely May/June, not that i have any knowledge about it, i'm just mildly pessimistic.

Last time i played Resistance online i tried Team Deathmatch and it was 3 on 3 and also kept dying quickly, then i realised my other two teammates had left quite early so i just hid with the rocket launcher.

falafel

BTW

Quote from: chand on January 26, 2008, 03:55:18 PM
Cunting fuck! I keep trying to play Resistance online, but it demands an update which is inexplicably taking an estimated 80 minutes to download. Last time I tried it died on me after about 40.

This is what put me off for two weeks.

Does anyone else's PS3 seem pitifully slow on the net? Game downloads take forever, and movie trailers that should take about five minutes on my PC tend to take about an hour and a half... for 100 megs or so? That's ridiculous these days.

chand

The server can be slow I think, yeah. I'm spoiled a bit because usually I download torrents at about 450-500kb/s. PSN can be more like downloading a big file from Megaupload or something.

Penfold

seems like the other way around for me, especially during busy times like the evening, my torrent downloads might reach 20kb/s between 6pm and 11pm but my PS3 can download a 700mb demo in about 3 hours.

can be a pain in the arse to log in some thursdays after the PS store update though.

Quote from: falafel on March 15, 2008, 12:17:26 PM
Played Resistance online for the first time last night. It was great, but then I kept getting killed ridiculously quickly by basically everyone and it got a bit dull. I don't know if I'd got the patience to put in the necessary hours to make myself better at it... I tried to go for a 'ranked' gaem and ended up playing against a bunch of 'generals' for some reason. Besides, still working on finishing the mighty fun single player game and getting skill points etc.

Unranked Stats
Wins   141
Losses   126
Games Played   271
Streaks   -1
Quits   166
Incompletes   22
Kills   4670
Deaths   4890
Assists   150
Kill/death   .955
Headshots   428
Stealth Kills   33
Melee Kills   97
Best Weapon   0
Worst Weapon   Arc Charger
Longest Killing Spree   11
Team Kills   0

Compared to those numbers above I've only played 29 Ranked games and all of those were pretty short in duration. The problem is you have to land far to many Carbine shots on someone to kill them. It just becomes a case of circling each other and then retreating to restore your health if you've survived.  If you're up against someone who has found one of the array of more powerful weapons then it devalues the whole experience. Also playing as Chirma was something I hated.

Most Unranked games are one hit kill and limited to the Carbine or Shotgun and Sniper Rifle combo. Its not really the ideal amount of damage you want to have to take. I think COD4 has a perfect rate of shots required but you soon get use to the skills needed to react first, perfect aim and move about unnoticed. The purists dismiss it but if you're good you will rise above novices and it also allows new comers to have some fun before getting serious. Search for Somerset and Capture the Flag, its by far the best map.

The only shit thing about Resistance online is it does have quite a few people glitching. They'll escape the border of the map and shoot you from beyond the scenery around the closed off areas. Occasionally its best quitting those.

falafel

Cheers. Do need to spend a bit more time on it, I think. I give up too easily.

Right - thought I'd do a summing up post, a la the XBL thread. Here's what I've got for people and games, before it gets too complicated what with the millions of people who are predicted to be imminently chucking their 360s into the Thames and buying PS3s instead.

Aki Kaurismäki- sparced
Chand - enoughrope
Penfold - monkeydeath
slaaaaabs - slaaaaabs
falafel - falafalmac
EddyWhore - eddypunk
Capt. Midnight - revolver85
My Giddy Aunt - NickMuzz
Rubbish Monkey - minky

Resistance
Aki Kaurismäki
chand
penfold
slaaaaabs
falafel
eddywhore
Capt. Midnight
My Giddy Aunt
Rubbish Monkey

Warhawk
Aki Kaurismäki
chand
slaaaaabs
eddywhore
Rubbish Monkey

COD4
Aki Kaurismäki
chand
eddywhore
Capt. Midnight

Orange Box
Aki Kaurismäki
chand
falafal
Rubbish Monkey

Motorstorm
Penfold
My Giddy Aunt
Rubbish Monkey

Burnout Paradise
falafel
Penfold
Rubbish Monkey

PES
chand
Rubbish Monkey

skate
Penfold
falafel

FIFA
Penfold
My Giddy Aunt

Smackdown vs Raw
Penfold

Fight Night
Rubbish Monkey

Virtua Tennis
My Giddy Aunt

Virtua Fighter
My Giddy Aunt

Assassin's Creed
My Giddy Aunt

Tekken
Rubbish Monkey

-------------

So everybody but everybody owns Resistance, and there are nine of us in total. Jolly good show. What we do with this information now is up to us...

edit: please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Penfold

i believe rubbish monkey's ID is mnky

i believe minky is a vagina.

oh, i also have Tekken.

edit: also have assassin's creed, and too many games bought from the store like poker and calling all cars, not sure which go online though

ed-edit: also have Unreal Tournament 3 and formula one championship edition because every so often i get that urge

chand

I've got Motorstorm, Burnout Paradise, Skate and Assassin's Creed as well.

Man, I need to get back into Skate, I loved it at first and then got really frustrated at something I just couldn't do and gave up.

Consignia

Here's a little cheat for you guys. If you want to buy stuff off an American PSN account (which we all have right?), sign up for an entropay card, and use that. Entropay is a virtual credit card that hides personal details, so they don't verify against an address, so you can use it on the US account with a fake address. I used it yesterday to get Puzzle fighter for a fiver.

Playing Puzzle Fighter online is a bit of a hassle because of the lag between countries (it's not out here yet), so if anyone here gets it and fancies a punt, my PSN user name is consignia. I also  have tekken but haven't got that to work online yet.

Penfold

i'm still holding out hope super puzzle fighter will be out over here in the next couple of weeks after reading...

http://capcom.com/BBS/showpost.php?p=489806&postcount=4

...that post on the capcom board, apparently some bugs kept appearing in the game when they tried sending it to sony.

i've been tempted by the entropay cards but i don't really trust them, i've seen a few complaints on some sites.

hopefully ebay will have the US PSN cards when they are released and there's something really worth buying there. you can already get the japanese ones on there.

Lewis

I'm 'drunkenchrist'

Put me down for Resistance, motorstorm, Skate and Fifa. Although I have yet to play Resistance, as I got rather obsessed with Motorstorm.

falafel

Noted.

Minky.

Spoiler alert

Aki Kaurismäki- sparced
Chand - enoughrope
Penfold - monkeydeath
slaaaaabs - slaaaaabs
falafel - falafalmac
EddyWhore - eddypunk
Capt. Midnight - revolver85
My Giddy Aunt - NickMuzz