Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:01:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

PSN: No Subscription Required

Started by Jim Jarmusch, January 24, 2008, 09:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Very nice work Falafel.

Already 10 confirmed PS3 owners compared to the 33 Xbots on CaB. Thats a respectable number since the system is only a few days shy of being out for one year in Europe.

I predict we'll reach 45 before they do.

If anyone is starting to run out of storage, cheapest price yet.

Western Digital 250GB 2.5" SATA Laptop Hard Drive, £50.67! inc @ Ebuyer (Edit: reduced again)

Only one screw, perfectly legal and doesn't effect your warranty not that we need one. There are instructions in the manual but this explains it much simpler.

[youtube=425,350]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AuyQPW3bDS0[/youtube]

falafel

Tempting! - I'm very impressed by the media player capabilities of my PS3 now and was thinking about upgrading to copy my MP3 and video libraries directly onto it rather than relying on my media server. I only found out the other day when I experimentally copied a Kate Bush album onto the HD that you can create subfolders within the media XMB bits and can cycle between album, artist and alphabet etc by pressing the square key... I like. It's the little things. I just want Home to come out now! I love my PS3 to bits even though I was slagging them off just around Christmas time for not being a big enough step forward. That's nonsense, they're fab.

Colour me a fanboy. I'm sorry, but I'm also not ashamed.

My Giddy Aunt

I'm using USB MyBooks on mine, lots of luvverly storage and I can move them to my pc easily to top up with lots of new files when I wish.

It blinks all lovely and bluw with my ps3's pretty lights...

Rubbish Monkey

Help! I'm addicted to poker!

And useless at it!

jutl

Quote from: Aki Kaurismäki on March 17, 2008, 07:02:17 AM
Very nice work Falafel.

Already 10 confirmed PS3 owners compared to the 33 Xbots on CaB. Thats a respectable number since the system is only a few days shy of being out for one year in Europe.

I predict we'll reach 45 before they do.

And St Sony's day shall ne'er go by,
    From this day to the ending of the world,
    But we in it shall be remembered-
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that buys this product with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition;
    And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
    Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That bought with us upon Kutaragi's day.

Penfold

Quote from: Rubbish Monkey on March 19, 2008, 01:38:37 AM
Help! I'm addicted to poker!

And useless at it!

i caught that bug yesterday as well, i'm good against the computer sometimes but i'd be rubbish online (if i ever tried it)

also been playing lots of super stardust hd, the custom soundtrack option is handy and keeps me interested that little bit longer when i get to destroy asteroids and space snakes while listening to Together in Electric Dreams by Phil Oakey.

falafel

So, unemployed people, anything interesting in the store update today for me to pick up when I get back from work?

Pseudopath

Quote from: falafel on March 20, 2008, 11:09:22 AM
So, unemployed people, anything interesting in the store update today for me to pick up when I get back from work?

Apparently PAIN is released on the European PSN today. It's either a guilty pleasure or an unfinished mess depending who you listen to, but for four quid it might be worth a punt. As a fan of Burnout's crash mode, I'll probably pick it up for shits and giggles.

Rubbish Monkey

Quote from: Penfold on March 20, 2008, 04:31:33 AM
i caught that bug yesterday as well, i'm good against the computer sometimes but i'd be rubbish online (if i ever tried it)

It doesnt support usb keyboards, which tend to make the online a bit of a sterile affair due to the lack of banter. By the time you've typed something in with the d-pad your bloke has folded because you've taken so long. I can imagine it would be a good drunken laugh (like Tekken) taking it in turns to lose miserably.

Penfold

Quote from: Rubbish Monkey on March 20, 2008, 12:29:26 PM
It doesnt support usb keyboards, which tend to make the online a bit of a sterile affair due to the lack of banter. By the time you've typed something in with the d-pad your bloke has folded because you've taken so long. I can imagine it would be a good drunken laugh (like Tekken) taking it in turns to lose miserably.

that seems to be all my online experiences.

most of my attempts at motorstorm result in me being too far back to finish the race, except that one time where i won, that was a good day.

Penfold

Quote from: Pseudopath on March 20, 2008, 11:19:04 AM
Apparently PAIN is released on the European PSN today. It's either a guilty pleasure or an unfinished mess depending who you listen to, but for four quid it might be worth a punt. As a fan of Burnout's crash mode, I'll probably pick it up for shits and giggles.

store has been updated and Pain is on there for £5 with about 6 extra characters to buy at 70p each and a free expansion pack.

Motorstorm 2 trailer is on as well along with a stranglehold expansion pack

Rubbish Monkey

I may pick up Pain later.

On an unrelated note I saw Unreal Tournament for £29.99 in Game (also available online for that price too). Any of you lot had a go? I enjoyed one of the PC versions a few years ago and some of the vehicles look pretty neat. Like this thing....

I basically ignored UTIII when there reviews just went on about how hyper fast and amazing the online play is with little mention of the single player campaign. I don't fancy adding another FPS multiplayer experience to what I've already got. Playing against Mouse and Keyboard users can't be too fair.

Chand mentioned he had it in the other thread.  If its in fact decent playing solo I'd probably be prepared to pay £25 the next time theres some Game or Gameplay vouchers floating around and it happens soon.

We've got GT5P (March), GTAIV (April), Haze (May) and MGS4 (June) out in the next few months. Theses a few doubts about Haze but if it delivers on their promises should be a nice exclusive.

Penfold

single player in UT3 is just different versions of the multiplayer modes.

the main reason i got it and what i enjoy most about it is the ability to download maps and mods for it.

you can also search for games without mouse and keyboard players to make it easier.

just been playing Pain, it's alright.

I'm not sure what you mean by different modes but its just the same then with some story and cut scenes tacked on. Is it user created free maps? I don't think I'll ever pay for expansion packs I'm too tight for any of that.

Gamestation and Comet both instore only are suppose to have Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for just a £10. If spending the morning visiting the retail park or city centre wasn't such a chore. Public transport or bumming a lift and the risk theres none left in stock I would of been willing to give it a go. It looks like the type of game I associate with sad cases but at that price something worth trying out.

Rubbish Monkey

As far as i was aware it is user created maps. I saw a little video of a funky looking Lego one. But I don't have the game so don't take my words for it.

I didn't get on with Oblivion personally. I just couldn't find the time to put into it so I traded it. I'm tempted for a tenner though, it won't sit on my shelf mocking me from afar when it goes unplayed.

The USA store has demos of Condemned 2 and Sega Super Star Tennis up by the way.

Penfold

sorry, should have been clearer, the single player mode is just a series of multiplayer game modes, like death, capture the flag etc... they normally have a score limit you need to reach.

the maps are free, i go to UT3Mod.com using the playstation browser and download the files directly to my memory stick, then go into the game and upload them.

the lego one is on there and is good fun.

chand

Quote from: Penfold on March 20, 2008, 09:56:22 PM
sorry, should have been clearer, the single player mode is just a series of multiplayer game modes, like death, capture the flag etc... they normally have a score limit you need to reach.

Yeah, it's okay, but the emphasis is on multiplayer really. It's not much of a single player experience; not totally without merit, but you get a kind of 'why do I need to do this again?' feeling reaching such arbitrary targets in a single player campaign which somehow don't feel so stupid online against people. The multiplayer is fun, but a bit too frenetic and headache-inducing for me. I much prefer COD4, or Warhawk.

Rubbish Monkey

Quote from: Penfold on March 20, 2008, 08:54:41 PM
just been playing Pain, it's alright.

Its enjoyable enough but I can't help thinking they have missed a trick or two and it could of been much, much better.
Why not have a Party Paindamodium mode where its just the highest score wins under multi-player? Why do the extra characters just act exactly the same? They could of had a chunky guy who doesn't go as far but can smash through more stuff, a little guy who goes faster and further etc.
Why the hell can't you (after you have downloaded an extra character) be different characters in multi-player mode?
And why can't you save pictures and replays to upload to that  community link, which just takes you to the official web page?

I expect that last one may be an update feature at a later date.

Penfold

Wooooo!

finally beat my high score on super stardust.

now my thumbs hurt.

Quote from: Rubbish Monkey on March 20, 2008, 09:50:22 PM
The USA store has demos of Condemned 2 and Sega Super Star Tennis up by the way.

played the condemned 2 demo last night, i died quickly, but i got a good few shots with a pipe in.

Metal Gear Online beta available. I've got my code ready for as soon as the download is released.

instructions, you can sign upto a japanese psn account afterwards.
http://shhhoff.gametrailers.com/gamepad/index.php?action=viewblog&id=273217

I'm waiting on my order from Gameplay.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue £15.49
Blu-ray Disc Remote £13.49
using dt7aquwhf for first time customers or new email address.

Rubbish Monkey

Quote from: Aki Kaurismäki on April 01, 2008, 08:16:35 PM
Metal Gear Online beta available. I've got my code ready for as soon as the download is released.

instructions, you can sign upto a japanese psn account afterwards.
http://shhhoff.gametrailers.com/gamepad/index.php?action=viewblog&id=273217

Woohoo Cheers for that!

My Giddy Aunt

After an over-enthusiastic bout of hand movement on ebay I now also own Heavenly Sword, Burnout Paradise and Tiger Woods. Hurray.

Rubbish Monkey

I don't care what any one else thinks, I thought Heavenly Sword was great.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Rubbish Monkey on April 05, 2008, 02:13:53 PM
I don't care what any one else thinks, I thought Heavenly Sword was great.

I thought it rocked too (and 79 out of 100 on Metacritic is a very good score).

It was definitely a bit short. However, the storyline was so fast-paced and the levels were so inventive, you could quite happily complete it in one sitting without getting bored. They could have put a bit more onus on properly learning the combat system as it was far too easy to get through the game just using strong attacks. The soundtrack was bloody lovely, though.

Unfortunately, it looks like Ninja Theory have scrapped their original plans for a Heavenly Sword trilogy and are instead working on a new franchise. If I were Sony, I'd buy them out sharpish and knock some sense into their heads.

My Giddy Aunt

I wont have any problems with the game being short. I am THAT bad at games!

A lot of talk about Home lately. Public beta supposedly coming "very soon". I can't wait even if just to see what its going to be like. I've been surprised that apart from people who read Kotaku and Engadget every few days that most owners don't even know it exists.

Rubbish Monkey

I'm interested. I wouldn't say excitied.

The ability to add clan/club rooms would be pretty neat if they put that in there.

Still Not George

It's looking tons shiner than last time I saw it. That's one thing it has over SL - it doesn't look like it's just escaped from 2002 and is holding your daughter hostage in an non-horizon-lit-bump-mapping warehouse.