Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:30:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The ALL NEW "what are you listening to?" thread!

Started by Vitalstatistix, January 26, 2008, 05:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joy Nktonga

Nice one Cap'n. Was interested in what you had in store. I like the odd bit of Tenor Saw, so I hope you enjoy him. Can't say I've ever heard of In Crowd or One Blood before.

Identify Christmas Ahoho!

alan nagsworth

Homelife - Guru Man, Hubcap Lady

I'm not normally that much into Ninja Tune's output, while it's all good fun I just find it a bit boring and repetitive at times.

HOWEVER! There are a few artists who put out some fucking excellent stuff on there, namely Homelife. They're kind of hard to pigeonhole, I guess the best way to describe them would be a mix between cheesy funk, Portishead, uplifting and quirky jazz, and the mighty Ella Fitzgerald. I first heard them on MTV2's '120 Minutes' (what an ace show that used to be) when they released the single 'A Casa'. It made for excellent listening at 2am, a real bizarre mix of jazz guitars and brass, electronic percussion, acid synths and the most upbeat and chirpy saxophone hook I've ever heard! It's a song for jazz nutters as much as it is for acid funk nutters.

Here it is: Homelife - A Casa

I challenge anyone who is drawn in by that review to not fall in love with this song.

As for their Ella-influenced songs, the finest example would be the song 'Heaven Knows'. Wind chimes, subtle handclaps and electronic shakers make up the percussion, accompanied by a simple synth bassline, soothing brass rhythms and, of course, the gorgeous vocal section. I can't actually say, due to not knowing, who sings on these tracks, as Homelife have three core members and a collective of about 15 other members who have collaborated on (sometimes) single songs and (mostly) full albums.

Homelife - Heaven Knows

They're such an exciting band and now I'm gonna have to check out their other albums to explore the depth of their ever-changing sounds. I hope you all enjoy those two songs even half as much as I am right now!

NattyDread

Quote from: Joy Nktonga on January 28, 2008, 12:22:18 AM
Nice one Cap'n. Was interested in what you had in store. I like the odd bit of Tenor Saw, so I hope you enjoy him. Can't say I've ever heard of In Crowd or One Blood before.

This guy: http://www.youandmeonajamboree.blogspot.com/ will often put up some choice Reggae. There's a wee bit of soul in there too.

Vitalstatistix

I've been listening to this track on repeat all morning, it's so infectious.

Why? - Good Friday (from Alopecia 2008)

The album's pretty darn good too. I've been waiting for Why? to deliver on the promise shown on the first cLOUDDEAD album, and finally he seems to have produced something substantial, less annoyingly whimsical than his other solo stuff.

drberbatov

Johnny Yesno

Since buying Guitar Hero II I've got right back into The Reverend Horton Heat. Here's the song they used in the game:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn4lJqbv7So[/youtube]

And a couple of lives which they normally play back to back as they do here:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTqgtrJYEh0[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYALiTct1_I&NR=1[/youtube]

It's a bit of a tenuous link but those two songs are off Liquor in the Front and Rich Hall refers to that phrase in this bit of standup:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi1E7QLWy-w&feature=related[/youtube]

chand

Right now I'm listening to Lift To Experience's 'The Texas-Jerusalem Crossroads'. Amazing band, they released this one incredible double album back in 2001, split up and have done reasonably little since. There's constantly been talk that Josh T. Pearson would release a solo record, but nothing's emerged yet and the suggestion is that he's feeling the pressure of trying to follow up what's become a minor classic. He's done a few gigs and refuses to play any Lift To Experience songs.

Here's a track from it ('These Are The Days'):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vX2Xzl6bylc

They made a massive sound considering they played with one guitar, one bass and the drums. It's all big sheets of twinkly guitar laden with effects and pompous Biblical lyrics, and there's just something about it that really works.

Lee Van Cleef

Today I went back and listened to the Eels' "Beautiful Freak" album.  It's been a few years and I'm surprised it's held up as well as it has.  In fact it's speaking more to me than it did before.  My favourite track is still the sublime "Guest List" with that excellent creeping bass riff giving way to the melancholy verse being a great moment.

After listening to it I put in an order with 101cd.com to get some CDs of theirs I didn't have, since 101 are having an Eels sale at the moment. Can't wait to hear what I've been missing out on.

CaledonianGonzo

Those who have - to date - been underwhelmed by the moody syncopations of Sons & Daughters might find their current album 'This Gift' a bit more to their taste.  I certainly did.

actwithoutwords

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on January 29, 2008, 10:16:19 AM
Those who have - to date - been underwhelmed by the moody syncopations of Sons & Daughters might find their current album 'This Gift' a bit more to their taste.  I certainly did.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this too. The run of Iodine/The Bell/House in My Head in particular.

Captain Crunch

Another one for you:

Black Uhuru - Sponji Reggae

I like the er, xylophone, glockenspiel, tingy tingy thing, whatever that is.  And what instrument is that is the start of Bob Marley's 'Could You Be Loved' you know, the one that sounds like a McDonalds straw?

Don_Preston

Tom Waits' "Way Down In The Hole" from the Big Time live album. Would love to see this on DVD one day, because I've never seen it before. Even today he's still got it, which can't be said of every elder generation musicians.

Quote from: Lee Van Cleef on January 28, 2008, 11:47:55 PM
Today I went back and listened to the Eels' "Beautiful Freak" album.  It's been a few years and I'm surprised it's held up as well as it has.  In fact it's speaking more to me than it did before.  My favourite track is still the sublime "Guest List" with that excellent creeping bass riff giving way to the melancholy verse being a great moment.

After listening to it I put in an order with 101cd.com to get some CDs of theirs I didn't have, since 101 are having an Eels sale at the moment. Can't wait to hear what I've been missing out on.

Which ones did you order?  You've probably got some great listening ahead.

I spent today listening to E's solo albums.

Eels thread?

Don_Preston

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: chand on January 28, 2008, 09:28:18 PM
Right now I'm listening to Lift To Experience's 'The Texas-Jerusalem Crossroads'. Amazing band, they released this one incredible double album back in 2001, split up and have done reasonably little since. There's constantly been talk that Josh T. Pearson would release a solo record, but nothing's emerged yet and the suggestion is that he's feeling the pressure of trying to follow up what's become a minor classic. He's done a few gigs and refuses to play any Lift To Experience songs.
Good on him for not doing it if he feels his new material isn't up to standard. I haven't heard that album in a few years (it was someone on another board who demanded that I listen to it) and it's great...in fact, if I can find the CD I'm going to give it a listen tonight.

Also, respect to the Reverend Horton Heat. I re-discovered him thanks to him guest starring in an episode of "The Drew Carey Show" I watched the other day, and immediately dug out my old albums and gave them a listen. Patchy in places but usually brilliant.

olafr

I think Jim Heath seriously lost it somewhere. He's produced some really amazing material (I've said elsewhere on these boards* that I think he's a better singer, guitarist and songwriter than Setzer) but he's just not been able to put the material together over the last few albums. Spend A Night In The Box was the last great thing he did.

*I also recommended The Hillbilly Hellcats for fans of this particular style of whateverbilly as they're really worth checking out. Maybe some of the Belmont Playboys material too.

Vitalstatistix

QuoteEels

Theyre playing 6 UK dates in feb/march. Anyone going? I'm going to try and catch the gateshead performance.

I've been listening to Vampire Weekend's debut self-titled all morning. Its fab - catchy afro-pop inspired indie rock.

Vampire Weekend - Mansard Roof:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XSOM0tQMNZ8

Lee Van Cleef

Quote from: trotsky assortment on January 29, 2008, 09:31:02 PM
Which ones did you order?  You've probably got some great listening ahead.

Shootenanny and the Live With Strings album.  I've got Souljacker, Beautiful and Electro-shock already.  I love that you can get Eels albums for around £3 to £5, new from 101cd.com.  Means I can fill out my collection.

Shootenanny arrived this morning, so I'm going to listen to that later.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: olafr on January 30, 2008, 09:12:54 AM
I think Jim Heath seriously lost it somewhere. He's produced some really amazing material (I've said elsewhere on these boards* that I think he's a better singer, guitarist and songwriter than Setzer) but he's just not been able to put the material together over the last few albums. Spend A Night In The Box was the last great thing he did.

*I also recommended The Hillbilly Hellcats for fans of this particular style of whateverbilly as they're really worth checking out. Maybe some of the Belmont Playboys material too.

I've only got three (fairly early, I think) RHH albums and they've all got corking tracks on as well as tracks I tend to skip. I saw them play live last year, though, and they were amazing.

I had a shufty at HH after you recommended them and they sounded pretty good. Will check out BP when I get the chance.

Brundle-Fly

Mein gott, so much of the stuff mentioned on here is my cup of earwax.

I am currently listening to many of the aforementioned things but today I've been enjoying:

Life On Earth!,  (Swedish nu-pop/prog/ folk baroque/ psyche band)

Bob Thompson's Sounds Of Speed (reissue of 1960 space age bachelor pad orchestral tribute to modern modes of transport)

The Lionheart Brothers album (Stereolabesque Monkees type pop) 

and my old Jim Jiminee 12"s

Roy*Mallard

I'm listening to a Wire compilation i made up from their first 3 albums - currently Ex-Lion Tamer - and smoking myself silly. Nice.

Don_Preston

Soft Machine "Live At The Paradiso 1969" album, although it's an edition from a Portugese label where the first track is the whole original 40 minute album, which is a bit of a pain in the arse. Then there's some unsources 'bonus' tracks, which I'm sure has Kevin Ayers on it.

Marginal & Troublesome

Nothing at the moment, though I am a little jealous of Don.  I've been listening to quite a bit of Soft Machine of late, particularly the live stuff from 1969 through to 72.  There's something fascinating about that journey from psychadelic pop through to the co-founding of jazz-rock. 

There is the awfully titled Masters of Middle Earth CD that features the Ratledge/Wyatt/Ayers trio.  Dodgy sound quality, but interesting nonetheless.  Perhaps that's what you have on your disc? 

I met Mike Ratledge once, when he was promoting the Triple Echo retrospective LP released by Harvest.  Very nice chap, very quiet.  Shit, that was getting on for 30 years ago...

Don_Preston

Quote from: Marginal & Troublesome on February 01, 2008, 03:24:04 PM
There is the awfully titled Masters of Middle Earth CD that features the Ratledge/Wyatt/Ayers trio.  Dodgy sound quality, but interesting nonetheless.  Perhaps that's what you have on your disc? 

I did buy that quite cheap. It is a great listen, but the sound does leave little to be desired for.

Upon hearing the bonus tracks after the "Live at Paradiso" track, they're incorrectly titled old favourites. "Soon, Soon, Soon," written by "Unknown" is actually "We Know What You Mean." Meanwhile "So Boot If It All," the second bonus track, is actually "I Should've Known" from the days of Daevid Allen. Like I say, no idea where they're sourced from. Not the albums that's for sure. The album cover is hideous, looking kitch and "groovy" 60s.

I'm surprised shoddy things like that can be released. The Paradiso performance is worth the fiver I spent though.

Marginal & Troublesome

Quote from: Don_Preston on February 01, 2008, 03:51:32 PMUpon hearing the bonus tracks after the "Live at Paradiso" track, they're incorrectly titled old favourites. "Soon, Soon, Soon," written by "Unknown" is actually "We Know What You Mean." Meanwhile "So Boot If It All," the second bonus track, is actually "I Should've Known" from the days of Daevid Allen. Like I say, no idea where they're sourced from. Not the albums that's for sure. The album cover is hideous, looking kitch and "groovy" 60s.

Might they be from the Gomelsky sessions?  They've turned up all over the place over the years

alan nagsworth

I'm previewing all the Elephant 6 artists at the moment, starting alphabetically, cuz they all sound so great! Can't believe I forgot to check this stuff out for so long.

XXXXXX

That new Hot Chip single is addictive. It's been on a loop for 20 minutes.

buttgammon

It is a good song but I heard most of their new album while in a branch of HMV yesterday and it sounds pretty disappointing.