Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:05:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Lost season 4

Started by Ginyard, January 29, 2008, 02:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

Argh, fucking tags, if that's true I'd rather have found it out from watching it. Anyway. Ahem...

Uncle TechTip

go to tvrss.net and search there or pick it up from the 'unique' RSS feed. Something pertaining to be s4e1 auto-downloaded overnight, no idea yet if it's the real thing but there's 29,000 of us seeding away, so I'm guessing it is.

Ja'moke

Took bloody ages to download but I've finally watched it. I love this show, great opener, having the flash-forwards definitely freshen up the show and give it another dimension as I think everybody would agree that the flashbacks were getting a bit repetitive. There's some interesting stuff starting up now it seems with the split between Team Locke and Team Jack and I haven't checked for screen caps or feedback on the episode anywhere else yet, but I'm sure that it was Christian Shepard who Hurley saw in the chair in Jacob's Hut.

Anyway looking forward to the rest of this season, just a shame it's only 8 episodes.

Pogue Mahone

Bah, I'd been downloading the recap episode and the first episode overnight in the hope that I'd get to watch them this morning or afternoon. The recap episode has only just completed downloading but now I have to go to work. I'm still waiting on the first episode to download fully. It better not be an epic fakerz.

ozziechef

After my second attempt at a download (there's a lot of incorrectly labelled recap episodes out there) I just watched the first episode.

An excellent start, much better than the start of episode 3 for sure, as always no answers but more questions. This time I've decided to avoid all the main spoiler sites and felt much better for it.

Anyway I'll avoid discussing the details too much until a few more folk have seen it.

Ginyard

EDIT: ignore...just remembered the rules to this place

Beck

Quote from: Ja'moke on February 01, 2008, 02:41:39 PM
I haven't checked for screen caps or feedback on the episode anywhere else yet, but I'm sure that it was Christian Shepard who Hurley saw in the chair in Jacob's Hut.

I just had a check and bloody hell, apparently it is. My vid was far too dark to make that out.

Anyway, I wish they'd have explained something in that episode. A few more questions via flashforwards, yes yes, that's fine, but it would have been nice if Hurley had wandered into the hut and had a nice sit-down chat with a fully-visible Jacob.

One of the 'Oceanic Six,' eh? So that'll be Hurley, Kate, Jack, Claire (so as not to contradict beardy Scotchman's Charlie prediction) and... who, Rose and Bernard? Jin and Sun? Sawyer, later shacked up with Kate? Not Locke, presumably. Sayid, I imagine. Right, take out those two couples and that's my prediction. They're the 'important ones.'

Good opener, though it was a bit disappointingly S02E01-like, in that the S1 finale had them looking into the hatch, and the very end of the ep only gave a glimpse of what was in it i.e. beardy Scotchman, only has one line of dialogue, and similarly the S3 finale showed that the 'rescue team' were about to arrive, and yet the very end of the ep featured them all too briefly - beardy American, only one line of dialogue. If he'd said, "Are you Jack? PREPARE TO DIE" that'd be different. Ah well, it's setting the scene, I guess. Tension-building, all that.

Marv Orange

Come with me if you want to live

It was alright no better or worse than last season its just the same old shit so far. The flash forwards are vaguely more interesting than the flash backs.

I wish they'd finish an episode properly once in a while not at the beginning of a conversation. I'd be happier if they had just finished the episode with a shot of the parachutist falling to the ground. I suppose it's part of the shows signature now its still irritates me. At least charlies message was actually talked about  rather than the usual 12 episode gap.

Slaaaaabs

That was sloooooooow going, it better pick up before it vanishes again in a few weeks. Hurley is a convincing mental.

Ja'moke

Here's the screencap of Christian Shepard in Jacob's hut. It clearly is him.

Anyway, I've come to the point where I no longer expect answers, if I'm awaiting answers in every episode it will never entertain me, I've just put so much faith in the writers that they will deliver answers eventually and until then I'm just going to enjoy the ride. If they don't provide answers by the time it's all over, then I can be pissed off.

I think the Oceanic Six will be along with Jack, Kate and Hurley probably Sun because of the baby, but not sure if Jin will leave with her. Then I think maybe Sayid and Sawyer as others have said they are central characters.

"I'm sorry for choosing Locke's side" is what Hurley said so something obviously bad happened there, yet Hurley still left the island? And the guy who came to see Hurley at the mental hospital who claimed to be an attorney for Oceanic Airlines, I think it's safe to say that he isn't who he says he is..."Are they still alive?" is what he said. To look at it in a basic way they could just be talking about the other survivors who were left behind on the island and the Oceanic Six have been sworn to secrecy about that, but I'm sure there must be something bigger than that going on.

Anyway, personally I'm glad this show is back, I like it hurting my brain.

JesusAndYourBush

Good episode, nothing really to add except I was looking on youtube for next weeks preview as the ones I download never include it and as well as finding that I found 2 "sneak peek" clips for next weeks show.

I'll miss off the h so it doesn't embed in case someone clicks it by accident, copy and paste if you wanna watch.  The 2 sneak peek clips contain major spoilage for next weeks episode.

end credits s4e01
ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3L_DdJeobQ

sneak peek s4e02
ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Bb6i1ycwk
ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsjIIp6arBE

Pogue Mahone

Bollocks. I'm just back from work and was looking forward to watching the episode but it appears I had been downloading a fake. Ah well, I suppose I have the recap episode to watch in the meantime while a genuine version downloads.

Artemis

I quite enjoyed that opener - lots of juicy 'reveals' to get your head around. Some of the dialogue was pretty corny (Locke's 'if you want to live, come with me' line, and Naomi's goodbye on the phone) and there was absolutely no sense in any of them deciding not to be rescued. There's no logical leap between 'the people on the boat misrepresented themselves' and 'the people on the boat want to do something bad to us' and after that long on the island, they'd be glad to see anyone from outside it. So that was a bit much to swallow, but all in all, a good opener, as they usually are. It was a bit difficult to connect with the reactions of Losties to Charlie's death - they had to cover it I suppose, but it had been away for too long for me to be bothered by any of that.

Pogue Mahone

At last, I managed to find a genuine version and got to see this. As has been stated, it's a good, teasing start with more questions than answers and questions disguised as answers and whatnot, but that's always been the way with Lost. The flash-forwards certainly do add a whole new dimension. Wouldn't Michael and Walt likely to be included in this "Oceanic Six" group seeing as, to the best of our knowledge, they have already departed the island? And if Kate is supposed to be a future member of this then-famous group, how does she manage to avoid a long-term prison sentence, bearing in mind the previous criminal charges levelled against her before being involved in the plane crash? Anyway, it's good to see it back. I'm looking forward to next week.

Also, it was nice to see another former Oz character feature.

Edit to add: Obviously the death had quite an effect on Charlie. He looked to have lost a fair bit of weight.

Ginyard

I thought it was excellent. Very confusing, as usual, and with plenty of questions and few answers. The bit that grabbed me the most was Jack shooting Locke and finding it wasn't loaded. It made you realise just how on-the-edge the guy is. Jack's never seemed the most stable of characters but this was more ruthless than I'd have expected of him.

The cabin sequence was intruiging because it appears Locke is hanging around with the entity that has taken the form of Jack's dad (the entity that, I'm guessing, took the form of Walt when talking to Locke towards the end of last season). Locke has obviously been confided in and now knows more than anyone else, bar Ben maybe, as to what is going on.

I'm still intruiged by these constant references to snow. There was the picture of the igloo that Hurley was drawing in the mental institution. Add it in with the on-going references like polar bears, the remote station trackers at the end of the 2nd season, 'snow-globe', 'what did one snowman say to the other snowman' etc and it all becomes an interesting angle to think about.

It also seems the 6 survivors have agreed not to divulge what has happened on the island (the incredible number of deaths etc) wether through guilt of something they have done or to stop others from having access to people that are intended to remain a secret or to keep something about the island itself a secret. Fuck knows what but I'm interested to know how far these flash forwards are (they must go on some time because Jack obviously goes from Mr Together to Mr Fuck-up and that's not over-night surely) and why Kate isn't in prison...given that she's on the wanted list.

Still no hot nude lesbian sequence though. Lots of time left though.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Pogue Mahone on February 02, 2008, 06:09:33 AM
At last, I managed to find a genuine version and got to see this. As has been stated, it's a good, teasing start with more questions than answers and questions disguised as answers and whatnot, but that's always been the way with Lost. The flash-forwards certainly do add a whole new dimension. Wouldn't Michael and Walt likely to be included in this "Oceanic Six" group seeing as, to the best of our knowledge, they have already departed the island? And if Kate is supposed to be a future member of this then-famous group, how does she manage to avoid a long-term prison sentence, bearing in mind the previous criminal charges levelled against her before being involved in the plane crash? Anyway, it's good to see it back. I'm looking forward to next week.

Also, it was nice to see another former Oz character feature.

Edit to add: Obviously the death had quite an effect on Charlie. He looked to have lost a fair bit of weight.

With regards to Kate not been in prison I guess that may have been part of the deal to keep her quiet, who ever it is who is making sure they keep everything that happened on the island a secret probably did some fiddling to get her off the hook in return. Because I doubt it's just Oceanic Airlines making them not speak, I'm sure it goes much further up than that.

Quote from: Artemis on February 02, 2008, 12:51:07 AM
I quite enjoyed that opener - lots of juicy 'reveals' to get your head around. Some of the dialogue was pretty corny (Locke's 'if you want to live, come with me' line, and Naomi's goodbye on the phone) and there was absolutely no sense in any of them deciding not to be rescued. There's no logical leap between 'the people on the boat misrepresented themselves' and 'the people on the boat want to do something bad to us' and after that long on the island, they'd be glad to see anyone from outside it. So that was a bit much to swallow, but all in all, a good opener, as they usually are.

I'm not too sure with that, I mean they have seen a lot of crazy stuff on this island so it's not too hard to believe that they would be skeptical of the people coming to 'save them'. And Charlie writing "Not Penny's Boat" even though Naomi said she was with Penny's boat it made some of them even more skeptical and I think those that his death hit hardest (mainly Claire, Hurley) decided to stick by Charlie and that meant staying with Locke. Although weirdly enough the only person who actually saw Charlie say "Not Penny's Boat" was Desmond but he stayed with Jack didn't he?

So yeah I was fine with all that stuff, the stuff I wasn't fine with was a girl with a knife sticking out of her back been able to crawl away, yet have time to lead a dummy trail, climb up a tree and jump on top of Kate (sorry..fight scene, no lesbian scene still).

Artemis

Yeah I get what you're saying about their motivations in going with Locke, Ja'moke. I just found it a bit much for them to leap to a conclusion that effectively precludes their possible rescue. Naomi just being able to get up and 'run off' with a knife in her back was a bit silly, wasn't it. And when she said "tell my sister I love her", for some reason that bit from the movie 'The Mask' leapt to mind, when he's pretending to die after being shot and says something like "tell little Timmy I won't be coming home this christmas" - it's a daft line, unless it ends up having some kind of wider significance, I suppose.

The flash forwards really do add another dimension, don't they. It was always good when a flash back provided an added aspect of what was happening at that time on the Island, but having something happening on the Island having an effect on what happens in the future really is fun to watch. When Hurley apologised for going with Locke, it gave the episode added gravitas, like what we were watching was some kind of defining moment.

Pogue Mahone

So, whose eye was it that appeared at the cracked cabin window as Hurley was peering in? Was it Locke's or was it supposed to be Jacob's, although it couldn't have been Jacob's if the vision of Jack's father was a disguise of his of some form, as Ginyard has suggested?

Artemis

I'd say it was left deliberately ambiguous, but it was telling that Locke appeared almost immediately afterwards.

Did anyone watch the catch up show? It was fairly dull if you've seen it before, but I did pick up on something in the narration. They said that when Desmond turned the failsafe key in the hatch,  the island was visible to the outside world "for a brief moment", implying it's not any longer. I don't think they've made that clear, if at all, in the actual show, have they?

purlieu

I also wonder how far ahead these flash forwards are - it's obvious this episode's was a while before the S3 finale (at least enough time for Jack to grow and style his beard).
It was definitely Locke whose eye appeared at the window, as soon as I saw it I thought I recognised it as him, then he approaches Hurley not a moment later.
"I'm sorry for going with Locke", typical Lost moment which completely changes your perspective on it all.  I initially thought the Oceanic Six would be the ones who stayed with Jack and got rescued, but evidently not.  I think there'll be another rescue attempt which isn't connected to the people landing now, maybe at the end of series 4 (whenever that'll be).

Regarding them keeping the other survivors secret, I'm guessing by Hurley's denial of meeting Anna Lucia, their story is that nobody else survived the crash at all, but no explanation as to why.
Good episode, revealed more than I expected - I was hoping for an opener like the previous two where absolutely sod all happens, so was pleasantly surprised this time.  My only hope is that it goes back to the island mythology soon rather than just focussing on the people who land, because the long term story needs to be kept up.  There's been enough forgetting about the past already without another distraction.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Artemis on February 02, 2008, 02:00:56 PM
Yeah I get what you're saying about their motivations in going with Locke, Ja'moke. I just found it a bit much for them to leap to a conclusion that effectively precludes their possible rescue. Naomi just being able to get up and 'run off' with a knife in her back was a bit silly, wasn't it. And when she said "tell my sister I love her", for some reason that bit from the movie 'The Mask' leapt to mind, when he's pretending to die after being shot and says something like "tell little Timmy I won't be coming home this christmas" - it's a daft line, unless it ends up having some kind of wider significance, I suppose.

Ha, that's exactly what I think and maybe that's just the way after three series of Lost now makes the viewers think. The first thing I thought when she said that line was not.."Damn, that's corny"...it was..."I wonder who her sister is?", but I could be looking into nothing and I think a lot of Lost fans do that, especially the really hardcore fans, I think they look into things so much that they end up making their own questions. Like the stuff with the eye in Jacob's cabin, I'm fine with saying it was Locke's, but I've been on a few Lost sites and there are all kind of rumours about the eye doing the rounds.

Marv Orange

I hope they dont play it was a possible future card.

The secret probably is that there were people who chose not to come back.

Artemis

Quote from: Marv Orange on February 02, 2008, 04:04:49 PM
The secret probably is that there were people who chose not to come back.

I got the impression that they were more personally involved in the denial, like perhaps in order for some of them to get off the island, they have to kill some of the others, or something.

Pogue Mahone

Quote from: Ja'moke on February 02, 2008, 04:03:53 PM
Ha, that's exactly what I think and maybe that's just the way after three series of Lost now makes the viewers think. The first thing I thought when she said that line was not.."Damn, that's corny"...it was..."I wonder who her sister is?", but I could be looking into nothing and I think a lot of Lost fans do that, especially the really hardcore fans, I think they look into things so much that they end up making their own questions. Like the stuff with the eye in Jacob's cabin, I'm fine with saying it was Locke's, but I've been on a few Lost sites and there are all kind of rumours about the eye doing the rounds.

The theory of significance attached to the golden Pontiac that featured in accident scenes involving Michael, Kate, Locke and Hurley respectively in four separate episodes is a good example of Lost fans reading into false leads. Damon Lindelof confirmed that it was merely a prop car they were using on set in Hawaii and the fact that the same car was involved in the four different accidents was not intentionally significant to the overall storyline in any way.

Ja'moke

Ah thanks for that golden Pontiac link, that's exactly the type of stuff I'm talking about.

Right, I did say though that I was satisfied thinking that it was Locke's eye in the cabin but now having seen this screen cap I'm not sure if it actually is Locke.

Also Harold Perrineau's (Michael) name was in the opening credits last night but I didn't see him in the episode or at least I didn't think I did. Would his name appear in the credits if he wasn't in the episode?

Pogue Mahone

Hehe, well, that's definitely not a black man if that's what you're getting at.

It doesn't actually look like Locke in that shot, does it? It actually resembles Desmond somewhat, I think. Lostpedia, however, explicitly states that it is Jacob's eye. I'm not sure how they could jump to such a conclusion, especially when we have seen so little of Jacob.

tony peanuts

Quote from: Ja'moke on February 02, 2008, 05:17:52 PM
Also Harold Perrineau's (Michael) name was in the opening credits last night but I didn't see him in the episode or at least I didn't think I did. Would his name appear in the credits if he wasn't in the episode?

Don't read too much into that -- it was announced at ComiCon that Harold Perrineau was rejoining as a regular cast member again, which means that contractually he'd have to be included in the "starring" credits for every episode regardless of whether he did anything in it or not. 
What might be more interesting is that Dominic Monaghan (Charlie) was still included as a starring cast member.  If he is for the next episode as well it might mean that Charlie still has a big recurring role to play this series.

Beck

[Edit: What Mr. Peanuts said.]

There's a comparison image somewhere that shows that the eyeball closeup in that episode is uncannily similar to the eyeball closeup seen when Locke was in the cabin last season. So it's fairly safe to say that it is Jacob, though I also assumed when I watched it that it was Locke and that he'd left the cabin to follow Hurley after he ran off. Presumably he and Christian were having a chinnywag.

I do hope the writers have the foresight not to keep mounding questions up like this and finish the thing without getting round to answering a lot of them. Hinting at odd stuff but not explaining it is only good up to a point, it can end up being frustrating and tiresome. That said, I'm not at that point yet, I'm still enjoying the oddness, but I hope episode two ups the tempo a bit.

tony peanuts

[Edit: what Mr. Beck said!]

Here's the screenshot of the eye from when Locke & Ben went to the cabin last series:

Look's a bit like Jack's eye to me...

Beck

Here's that eyeball superimposed over the eyeball in the latest ep (or vice versa, I dunno):

Jacob in the last season ep (and seemingly 4x01 too) was played by Rob Kyker, Lost's prop master, as Jacob's not been cast yet.

All that nicked from here.

Also, here's a brighter image of the latest Jacob (with Kyker's beard sort-of visible):