Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:21:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Digital/Photo Art

Started by alan nagsworth, February 14, 2008, 12:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

Just been looking at some different art forms involving digital photography and such, thought if I can find a couple in a short space of time, there must be loads more out there, could make for interesting discussion.

Smoke Art

I guess it looks pretty straight-forward but a lot of experimenting with different techniques must take place. I think it looks beautiful.

Light Graffiti

A documentary on how it's made:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TfPvhS-lfS4

The master of light graffiti, Lichtfaktor, and their stop-motion movie:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dtBJETFfgyY&feature=related

Some Lichtfaktor stills:

So yeah, what's the general opinion? Does anyone make this sort of stuff themselves? Does anyone have any other examples of digital/photo art? Let's get into this, yeeeahh...

fanny splendid

A guest speaker at my University did something similar to the light graffiti. He pointed his camera at hillsides, so that he had a much bigger 'canvas'. I can't remember his name, though, sorry.

alan nagsworth

To the super-sly tagger: HS Art is about stuff people have made and nothing else, am I right?

This thread was made in the hope of discussing different types of digital art, where to find it elsewhere, as well as peoples own creations

I wouldn't mind so much but why not actually post it instead of being a snidey cunt? Y'know, like "Erm Nags isn't this meant for HS Art?" and I could've gave the above explanation... but the fact that it's not even presented in that way in the tag, and instead is just a URL, is rather sad.

mook

I wasn't the tagger, but I do think this would be better off over in HSArt, mainly because it will hang around longer, having it stuck here it will just drop quickly from the front page.

Anyways, I think most people who've got cameras capable of taking long exposures have fucked about with light painting pretty soon after getting their cameras. I know I did anyway, it soon loses it's appeal, because, well it's just too fucking easy. I do like the smoke shots though, there's a degree of photography skill required to capture those.

alan nagsworth

That's the kind of thing I meant, rather than a link inside a tag; Pedantic and sly.

I do agree now aswell, I'll ask Neil to move it.

rudi

Quote from: nagsworth on February 14, 2008, 03:00:03 PM
That's the kind of thing I meant, rather than a link inside a tag; Pedantic and sly.

I posted the tag as I knew you'd get on your ever-so-high-horse about it.

Like you did anyway, so it was self-defeating in the end, I guess.

Ah well, you have two days to seethe about it before I return.

T'ra chuck.

sproggy

This is genre of photography is know as Phart in certain circles.

Suttonpubcrawl

Quote from: sproggy on February 14, 2008, 03:42:17 PM
This is genre of photography is know as Phart in certain circles.

Looks like you had quite a few beers before settling down to write that sentence!

sproggy

I guess words and me just don't dig each other man.

Baxter

On Light Graffiti

When I first got into photography I was very interested in the whole painting with light thing, finding interesting places late at night and spending hours selectively firing the flash at things with the shutter on bulb mode. Much more than anything that can be visually conveyed by photography for me it is the time aspect which is so engaging, how it can show stretches of time compressed into an instant and freeze an instant for as long as the print lasts.

These days I'm much more interested in surfaces showing texture while using a very limited range of tones, than this sort of thing, it's nice and I'm not detracting from it in anyway but it's a very surface use of photography, it's sort of the first thing you'd realise that you could do with a long shutter time (I know it was the fist thing I did with an SLR) it is a little gimmicky.

iain

I'm making a point and click adventure game with photography, you can walk around the scenes and from one to another and interact with stuff, get closes ups, talk to people. Lots of animated bits done in camera and also applied after. I'll probably upload a demo for when ive pinned some decent scenes together...

alan nagsworth

Do it. I'd like to see some of your stuff as well Baxter.