Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:50:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Hawley

Started by actwithoutwords, February 16, 2008, 04:36:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

actwithoutwords

I can't believe he doesn't have his own thread. Any other fans on here?
I discovered him when I was handed Late Night Final (on minidisc, taste the nostalgia) in 2002 and told I was interviewing him later that evening. Turned out it was fucking excellent. And he's an utterly lovely bloke as well. It's amazing how he pulls it off I have to say, the posing and heavy retro styling would usually make me run a mile, but there's something about him that's so charming. It feels natural as well, rather than forced and artificial.

Anyway, I saw him last night live for the first time and was absolutely blown away. Very impressive performance indeed, and nice banter to boot. The Ocean as a closer was incredible. I'll post some MP3's later. I have to say Late Night Final is still my favourite, followed by Coles Corner. I haven't got Lady's Bridge yet, but will be acquiring it imminently.

Glebe

There was an interesting little interview with him on Sky News today...actually, you should be able to watch it here.

Marty McFly

Richard Hawley is brilliant, just brilliant. Though I only have Coles Corner and Lady's Bridge.

I think the reason his music is so good is - like you say, actwithoutwords - it's natural. He plays that style of music because he loves it, and he's clearly a real muso and a gearhead (have a look on his forums, especially the 'song discussion' one), so you know nobody's telling him what to do in the studio or with the songs.

I've heard so many comparisons to Roy Orbison - can't agree totally with that, as the Big O's voice is quite different - but I can see why, it's just honest, heartfelt music. Always the best kind.

What with Hawley and the likes of Pete and the Pirates, have we got a mini rockabilly revival on our hands?

Was having a bit of a rough time a few weeks ago, put Coles Corner on and cried my eyes out to it. Probably not the best recommendation, but .. it helped immensely.

Saw him at Manchester Academy last week. Fantastic. The in between song banter was worth the admission alone. My girl has a few of his CD's. And as mentioned he  has a forum where he pops in every now and then to dispense his dry wit. He comes across as a warm, honest bloke who knows and enjoys his craft. Aren't many of them in the industry these days. I'd support him even if I didn't fully enjoy his music.

Cambrian Times

Oh yes, Hawley is lovely. I got into him after hearing "Baby you're my light" on Mark and Lard and through his work with Pulp and Jarvis Cocker's side projects.

mothman

Another fan here. I said it in the new Bond film thread, and I'll say it again here - I can just for some reason imagine RH being able to carry off a song called "Quantum of Solace."

simondykes

I was lucky enough to be able to meet him last year when he played an instore at our shop.I'd never heard his music before,I'd always been put off by the fact that he was in the Longpigs,but that day I was instantly converted into a fan.He arrived at the shop hours before the show and hung around,piling up loads of records to buy (mostly on vinyl,all good stuff,though I can't remember any of them now).Obviously,when he played,I suddenly realised what I'd been missing (I've since bought a couple of his records) and his between song banter was funny and amazingly crude.He did a marvellous signing session and then hung around in the shop until not long before we closed,and I have to say,he's one of the nicest,funniest people I've ever met,head and shoulders above just about every other musician I've ever encountered (with the possible exception of Josh Homme,who is also a complete gentleman).As we were locking the shop up,he shouted goodnight to us from the outside table of a nearby bar.
One of the better days of my life....