Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:27:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Yes I am a Mogwai fan

Started by Identity Crisis Ahoy!, February 21, 2008, 01:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

What's comedy about The Hawk is Howling?

InfiniteFury

It's just a bit "Smell The Glove" to my ears.

CaledonianGonzo

'Glasgow Mega-Snake', on the other hand, is a great title.  Pity about the track itself, though.

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

Yer all wrong. Glasgow Mega-Snake is an amazing song and title.

jaydee81

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on February 27, 2008, 09:49:51 AM
'Glasgow Mega-Snake', on the other hand, is a great title.  Pity about the track itself, though.

Oi Gonzo! No! I usually have a lot of time for your opinions on music... but I won't let you speak ill of the genius of Glasgow Mega Snake!

JCBillington

I loved Young Team, and it is the only time I ever experienced the cliche of 'playing it until it wore out'. Then I grew up and bought it on CD instead.

I have bought every album since, except the Zidane soundtrack one, but they have never seemed as good as that first album. Certainly any Mogwai song with proper vocals is a low point of the album.

jaydee81

They released an EP inbetween Young Team and CODY that has a far superior version of the 'Christmas Steps' on it. Definitely worth checking out...

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

Sovereign

Quote from: CaledonianGonzo on February 27, 2008, 09:49:51 AM

thats a fucking travesty, Glasgow Mega-Snake is one of the best rock songs I've heard in the last 10 years. There's a riff at the end of it that is worthy of Tony Iommi.

CaledonianGonzo

OK - I promise to re-listen to the track in question and allow it to try to prove me wrong.

jaydee81

Argh! The original version of Xmas Steps (as opposed to CODY's Christmas Steps) was on the Fuck the Curfew EP... as yet linkage is proving troublesome.

chand

Is that the same one that's on EP + 6? I can rip that version if you can't get hold of it.

chocky909

Quote from: jaydee81 on February 29, 2008, 02:09:49 PM
Argh! The original version of Xmas Steps (as opposed to CODY's Christmas Steps) was on the Fuck the Curfew EP... as yet linkage is proving troublesome.

Did you want it for yourself or for ICA (quote= "Prove it") because he's got EP+6 already?  Either way here it is. I've never been a massive fan of it to be honest although a lot of people have it up there with their faves.

While I'm uploading I might as well stick up this recent version of Pixies' Gouge Away which is on the quite good Dig For Fire tribute album. It's not a bad interpretation at all.

To JCB who said he hadn't bothered with the Zidane LP, well in my opinion you're missing out, especially if you like the CODY era Mogwai. Although a lot of the tracks are on the CD twice as basically just different arrangements it's still top stuff and there are three or four great tracks on it.

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

Aye, that cover is well good.

JCBillington

Quote from: chocky909 on February 29, 2008, 05:49:43 PM
To JCB who said he hadn't bothered with the Zidane LP, well in my opinion you're missing out, especially if you like the CODY era Mogwai. Although a lot of the tracks are on the CD twice as basically just different arrangements it's still top stuff and there are three or four great tracks on it.

You misunderstand. I said I hadn't bought the Zidane album (you know, with money), not that I hadn't heard it! I do like Mogwai, they are one of the few bands I like enough to actually go out and buy there stuff as and when it comes out. I think Zidane came out when I didn't have any money. I think my position would be that Mogwai are a very good band, but they were, at least on Young Team, a fucking great band. I remember listening to YT thinking, FUCK, one day all pop music will sound like this!

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

buntyman

Anyone aware of a way that I could obtain tickets for their gig on Saturday in Glasgow? I asked an unreliable friend to get me one as I was going on holiday and he's let me down and they're now sold out.

CaledonianGonzo

Sadly not - but it's a fairly impressive line-up all the same.  I toyed with going, but this is my only quiet weekend for a while, and a solo mission to the south-side with no means of getting home was a bridge too far.  I decided to settle for Dirty Projectors at the Cabaret Voltaire instead.  The last ever Triptych, it seems.

(Being replaced by this, which could be quite fun if it works out..or could be terrible if the not-exactly-ambitious desire of many of the members to see Biffy Clyro play a Scottish show is fulfilled)

My advice in situations like this is always to try the fan forums.  There's usually people on those trying to get rid of last-minute cancellations for face value.

Little Hoover

Does anyone else's copy of ep+6 have all the tracks muddled up when they rip it to their computer?

chocky909

That's the only Mogwai CD I don't have unfortunately.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: Little Hoover on April 21, 2008, 08:29:02 PM
Does anyone else's copy of ep+6 have all the tracks muddled up when they rip it to their computer?

Isn't that more likely to be a Gracenote or some other online CD database fuckup?  For some reason it's illiterates and people with English as a second language that seem to submit the tracklistings.

I think it's the only Mogwai CD I don't have too.

chocky909

Fun and silly fan made video for newly released Mogwai track from their upcoming album The Hawk Is Howling.

The Sun Smells too loud (mp3 available to download here)

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=yUaCxx5npko[/youtube]

InfiniteFury

Ha! Logged on to post that up, it´s fantastic I hope they use it for the video.

Just putting my Sherlock Holmes hat on for a moment, are you Chocky909 from the Bright Light forums?

Tokyo Sexwhale

That's a hell of a different sound for Mogwai.  It seems almost commercial!

chocky909

Mindbear

My other half is ridiculously obsessed by Mogwai in a way that slightly puzzles me, but on hearing that new track in a big room last week, I have to say, I couldn't actually believe it was Mogwai. I really like their dramatic, lurching tracks, and if you described that track to me I'd think they'd sold out, but actually, I love it. Bravo!

fremsley

Sort of sounds like late 90s Chemical Brothers to me.

Little Hoover

If anything Mr Beast seemed more commercial to me, with it's simpler, shorter, more direct rock songs.

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

Doodle dooo donoanananan dooon neaaayaaan! I love Glasgow Mega Snake.

Tokyo Sexwhale

Quote from: chocky909 on July 06, 2008, 07:26:56 PM
Fun and silly fan made video for newly released Mogwai track from their upcoming album The Hawk Is Howling.

The Sun Smells too loud (mp3 available to download here)

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=yUaCxx5npko[/youtube]

And here's where the video came from - a disco version of Apache!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEV6K4bZX-o&feature=related[/youtube]