Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:05:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Food Photography Thread

Started by LeboviciAB84, February 23, 2008, 04:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeboviciAB84

We've all seen the lovely images in Little Chef menus and Jamie Oliver books, which rarely match up to the meal you end up serving to dinner guests. With their arsenal of short field-depths, funny angles and bleached colours, food photographers are masters of making food visible in cookery books. But how many of us have preserved a meal for a lifetime, by photographing it? Have you even done it properly, with mashed potato instead of ice cream and green Fairy Liquid instead of absinthe?

Is professional food photography a necessarily-meretricious pursuit, as it requires leading the consumer 'up the garden path' and subjecting them to false expectations? Is it just another cog in the machinery of lies we're force-fed on a weekly and bi-weekly basis? How much of the aspirational lifestyle is a good food photographer expected to convey with food alone, rather than with incidental props such as Lambrettas and hair-wax, and what are his tricks?

Apparently, tampons soaked in hot water are often placed behind dishes, in order to lend the food a steamy, freshly-microwaved appearance. Magic markers are employed to make food look chargrilled, and raw chicken is painted to resemble its cooked cousin. So go on, post some pictures of food, if you like.

Suttonpubcrawl

Why is the top one of those slices of meat a different colour from the rest of them?

LeboviciAB84

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It's his special 'date' slice. For the ladies he cares the deepest about.

mook

I couldn't be arsed to cook owt, or indeed even bother to thaw out the chipolatas, especially for a thread this silly, so this is some kind of sashimi non fry up kinda thing. Even so it still looks better than that bear/St. Bernard whatever the fuck it is meat bollocks.

Captain Crunch

Finally, a chance to share this photo.  Mutant plam tree Hula Hoop a-go-go!!!

It's Food. It's Photography. It's some photographs of some food! Here goes. Could this be...the most straightest banana in the world?

Spoiler alert
Yes
[close]

I actually used it as a ruler for some years before it disintegrated.

Stringbean Dean