Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 30, 2024, 08:00:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Constructing a joke from obscure fragments

Started by LeboviciAB84, February 26, 2008, 10:47:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeboviciAB84

While browsing through a file the other day, I came across the following:

paint the town red / Droitwich / different town / Forth Bridge

I can only presume that I'd thought up an excellent joke, written it in an abortive form of shorthand, and promptly forgotten both joke and shorthand. So, chop chop — what's the best joke you can make from those elements, and who has some fragments of their own?

Neville Chamberlain

Q: How could you brighten up Droitwich?
A: Paint the town red.

Something like that?

LeboviciAB84

jaydee81

Is it a hilarious joke revolving around painting the town red on the Forth Bridge... with Droitwitch thrown in?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Only a Droitwich could paint the town red from her broomstick.

Marv Orange

What shall we do?

Paint the the town red?

Sure!

But Forth, the Bridge!

-------------------------

Think what your joke was

Lets paint the towns red

First Droitwich
Second  Oxford     
Third Tony Pandy
Forth Bridge!

Fits like a glove
paint the town red / Droitwich / different town / Forth Bridge

Neville Chamberlain

Construct a sentence from the following words:

Confused / Highly / Neville / Is

Ginyard

the midnight watch baboon

Sawted:

Whilsts browsing CaB forums
I saw a request, an obscure one
Mr Lebovici
Spouting tripe about Droitwich, he
Also mentioned different towns and painting the town red and the Forth Bridge, no decorum!

QuoteThere once was a big bear from Droitwich
Who found a girl eating his porridge
He used blood from her head
To paint the town red
And had enough left for the Forth Bridge.

(That 'different town' bit was a red herring you left to make it harder for yourself).

When my punning was at its most virulent, I'd often be thinking up phrases with punning potential on the long drive home from work. But I was terrified of forgetting them before I got home, hence I would put myself and my fellow road-users at risk by jotting a reminder to myself on my hand as I went along. For the type of jokes I was excreting, a single word from the punchline was usually good enough - 'porpoises'; 'trimmings' etc. The only problem came trying to decipher my biro-on-skin scrawlings. If, however, you prefer the torturous groaner style then really writing the whole thing down seems to be the only way to remember it in future. I mean, how much time did you save yourself there, really? A few seconds? And now, how much time - yours and ours - have you wasted trying to decipher your diseased brain's ridiculous omissions, starting this thread, asking the big boys? For fuck's sake.

Good job I worked out exactly what you were on about before even more people got sucked in.