Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:11:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cover Versions

Started by splattermac, February 04, 2004, 09:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazyhour

Quote from: "iain"Gregorian chant version of Blue Monday[/url]

No offence, honestly, but this is one of the worst things I've ever heard in my life.  Insipid 80s 'rock' backing music complete with chugging guitars and weedy drums, and a bit of choral singing over the top.  Really poor.  Had it just been acapella gregorian chanting, then we might have had something.

-3/10

dan dirty ape

The Yazoo and 'Teen Spirit' ones are surely the malevolent work of the Flying Pickets. Does the Nirvana one have them attempting to nail the opening riff by going 'g'dang, g'dang, g'dang-dang'? If so it's definitely the Flying Pickets.

iain

Quote from: "lazyhour"
Quote from: "iain"Gregorian chant version of Blue Monday[/url]

No offence, honestly, but this is one of the worst things I've ever heard in my life.  Insipid 80s 'rock' backing music complete with chugging guitars and weedy drums, and a bit of choral singing over the top.  Really poor.  Had it just been acapella gregorian chanting, then we might have had something.

-3/10

Yeah agreed, could of done without the weedy guitar but i thought it was a novelty enough to warrant ignoring that. The sound of silence was more or less just them singing so maybe you'd enjoy that better...

As for Smells like Teen Spirit it was done quite quite good actually relistening to it (intro went somehting like "hallooo halloo hallo halloOOOoo" It's worth the download alone to hear a load of monks sing "a mosquitooooo--mMMmMMMmm, MYYY libidoooo" if ya ask me

mr rou-rou

Daniel Johnston made it into the top 1000 verbwhores albums so this will interest at least one person :)

Various Artists: Discovered, Covered - The Late Great Daniel Johnston

QuoteTeenage Fanclub with Jad Fair: My Life Is Starting Over Again
Gordon Gano: Impossible Love
Mercury Rev: Blue Clouds
M. Ward: Story Of An Artist
Clem Snide: Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Your Grievience
Guster: The Sun Shines Down On Me
Sparklehorse with The Flaming Lips: Go
Tom Waits: King Kong
Calvin Johnston: Sorry Entertainer
Beck: True Love Will Find You In the End
Bright Eyes with Nick Zinner: Devil Town
The Rabbit: Good Morning You
Vic Chesnutt: Like A Monkey In A Zoo
Thrisle: Love Not Dead
Starlight Mints: Dead Lovers Twisted Heart
Eels: Living Life
T.V. On The Radio: Walking The Cow
Death Cab For Cutie: Dream Scream

lazyhour

Quote from: "mr rou-rou"Daniel Johnston made it into the top 1000 verbwhores albums so this will interest at least one person :)

Various Artists: Discovered, Covered - The Late Great Daniel Johnston

Yes!  I heard about this recently.  Could be good, could be atrocious...  I can't wait for Mark Linkous to put out some new Sparklehorse stuff tho' but.

Vermschneid Mehearties

A Small Mention:

Johnny Cash- I prefer his cover version of Hurt by Nine Inch Nails to the original. The original is different obviously, and has it's own endearing qualities, but I think Johnny Cash's is more...poignant. His vocal delivery, and the piano attack in the chorus is great.

James- China Girl. Fuck David Bowie/Iggy Pop attempts at this song. This one sounds fresher and is helplessly easy to dance to.

iain

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"A Small Mention:

Johnny Cash- I prefer his cover version of Hurt by Nine Inch Nails to the original. The original is different obviously, and has it's own endearing qualities, but I think Johnny Cash's is more...poignant. His vocal delivery, and the piano attack in the chorus is great.
Yeah gotta agree with you there, and i was just about to say his cover of U2's One was great too but on listening to it again im not so sure. It could of been much better I think.....he did it too fast. Maybe i just liked the idea of it better in my head.
I'll have to hunt down that China Girl, i do like James.