Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:50:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Band names: The good, the bad and the origins

Started by alan nagsworth, March 20, 2008, 03:02:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

Quote from: Mary Hinge on March 20, 2008, 08:50:49 PMThe Beetles made into a pun, rather like Rubber Soul & Revolver.

Rubber Soul is the worst pun ever, but a great album title all the same.

Captain Crunch

Care to think up a better name for them then?

simondykes

Quote from: marwood on March 23, 2008, 12:45:56 AM
Ever had anyone ask for !!!?

Yeah,but disappointingly,everyone seems to know it's 'Chk Chk Chk'!It would be nice to have someone ask for them by pulling a facial expression that somehow indicated '!!!'
Current favourite to be asked for when playing in the shop is Does It Offend You,Yeah?,as the conversation tends to go:
Customer:What's this playing?
Me:Does It Offend You,Yeah?
Customer:No,I quite like it actually.
This has really happened.

I didn't know that Earth was Black Sabbaths original name - and me a Sabbath fan as well.I like the continuing progession of names there - Earth naming themselves in honour of a Sabbath reference,Sunn O))) in honour of Earth....

Roy*Mallard

Quote from: Mary Hinge on March 20, 2008, 08:50:49 PM
The Fall after the novel by Albert Camus but originally it was supposed to be Flyman & the Fall.

About the same time as they got together, the beeb was showing The Fall & Rise Of Reginald Perrin. During the titles of the show 'The Fall' 'And Rise' appear onscreen - 'fall' falling down the screen, 'rise', yes you've guessed it, rising up the screen - i like to think M E Smith took the name from this, rather than from the rather dull Camus book.

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

I wasn't arguing the name though, I was arguing (albeit economically) that they don't sound like a bunch of tough rockers.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

They don't seem like the most likely D&D fans though.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Moribunderast on March 21, 2008, 03:02:27 AM
I've always loved the band name "Tight Bro's From Way Back When" for the sheer  silliness of it.
It's a quote from a recorded conversation, some piece of found sound I think. It was played on WFMU a lot, so it might have even been an old phone-in to them. The gist of it was, two metal fans were talking about...let me try and remember...Lucifer and Anton LaVey...or Aleister Crowley, and one of them said to the other, "those two, they were tight bros from way back when". Their album is pretty decent too (the band, not the two kids the band got their name from).

Famous Mortimer

From a compilation of one-offs and oddities, most of the songs are shit but there's a few quality names:

Arrogant Worms
The Roto-Rooter Good Time Christmas Band
Bouquet of Veal
Sponge Awareness Foundation
The Amazing Onionheads
Bananas At Large
The Poxy Boggards

and my favourite, not sure why:

Two Jew Revue

Ignatius_S

Boy George decided not to use Sex Gang Children and let Andi Sex Gang use it instead.

Anyone mentioned Half Man, Half Biscuit, as taken from Ripping Yarns?

Throbbing Gristle
Alien Sex Fiend.
Virgin Prunes

Quote from: Mary Hinge on March 20, 2008, 08:50:49 PM
Joy Division. Prostitutes in Nazi Concentration Camps I think.

Joy Division were women forced to provide sexual gratification to guards in the camps – oh, those art school wags choosing that name!

Quote from: Paaaaul on March 20, 2008, 09:18:23 PM
The Mission originally were called The Sisterhood to piss off Andrew Eldritch when Hussey left The Sisters Of Mercy. They played a few gigs under this name.

Eldritch quickly recorded some stuff he had written and released a single as The Sisterhood before Hussey and Co released anything, thereby claiming the name of the band for himself and forcing Hussey to think up a new name.

Eldritch also released an album under the Sisterhood banner – pretty good and it also featured Alan Vega.

Quote from: nagsworth on March 21, 2008, 01:15:15 AM
I heard the Pet Shop Boys got their name because putting small rodents up your botty was a fun practice amongst homosexuals back in't day.

I seriously heard this.

On kids' television, they always claimed it was because they met in a pet shop.

buttgammon

Quote from: Ignatius_S on March 27, 2008, 02:50:23 PM
Throbbing Gristle

Yorkshire slang for a bulging erection apparently. Nice name!

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

Yorkshire people piss me off. Unforgivable.

Mary Hinge

Hawkwind originally conjured up to me some sort of Ted Hughes vision of a bird of prey.

Actually a combination of Hawk as in to clear your throat of a crummy lump of phlegm and wind as in flatulence. Charming!