Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:32:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Gnarls Barkley - The Odd Couple

Started by alan nagsworth, March 20, 2008, 08:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

So this has been released digitally and is already number one on iTunes and all that jazz... and rightfully so, as well.

This album is such a brilliant return to form, Danger Mouse is flexing his skills into broader territory and Cee-Lo, as ever, is a fucking vocal marvel. Some of the tracks are deliberately less ambitious as it seems they've settled into a niche where they both understand each other, and as a result this album is more of the same, where St. Elsewhere left off, but not a re-hash in the slightest.

Danger Mouse uses more than just simple distortion and choppy beats to achieve his own style, you can still tell it's him through and through but he's coming on in leaps and bounds. Now he uses lo-fi beats in places where neccessary, different instrumentation and even rainforest samples throughout a track to enhance the mood. It works extremely well.

And that projector reel is still whirring away in the background.

I've heard that it's available on data packet 'down load' sites, and I've also heard some people are kind enough to upload it to file sharing sites if asked politely by way of private message. I wouldn't know anything about that though... ;)

Anon

Yeah, got hold of this a week ago, and I think I actually prefer this to St. Elsewhere - whereas that was an albm full of great ideas but not always great songs, this album's got the ideas and the songs to back them up (especially on the slower tracks like "Who's Gonna Save My Soul", absolue beaut that one).  Like you said, it is more of a refinement than a re-design of their sound, but when it produces an album this good it seems rather churlish to complain.  If I have the dosh, I'll probably have to fork out the cash for the CD, because this really is a fantastic follow-up.

Lee Van Cleef

Any idea when this is coming out on CD?  Can't stand MP3s for any purpose other than portable players.  I'm really looking forward to more after the stellar "St. Elsewhere."  Also, anything with a similar mood to "Just A thought" on there (my favourite from that album)? 

Suttonpubcrawl

I don't know anything much about the music of Gnarls Barkley, but that album cover is fantastic.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Lee Van Cleef on March 21, 2008, 12:32:26 PM
Also, anything with a similar mood to "Just A thought" on there (my favourite from that album)? 

I'll have to get back to you after I dig deep into the lyrics. Not sure about a CD release date though.

Quote from: Suttonpubcrawl on March 21, 2008, 02:10:25 PM
I don't know anything much about the music of Gnarls Barkley, but that album cover is fantastic.

Like soul music? Like abstract and funky hip hop beats?

No?! FUCK OFF THEN!!