Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:31:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Your LAST.FM Weekly Top Three

Started by alan nagsworth, April 02, 2008, 05:42:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggy starbucks

1  Johnny Cash   87
2  Ennio Morricone 60
3  Daniel Johnston 24

I've listened to all the cash American Recordings this week. My favourite album of the lot is IV The Man Comes Around, with the eponymous song being my favourite Cash song. Its a great song and I could listen to it over and over again. 

There is a really excellent Ennio compilation album called Crime and Dissonance. Its got a load of Ennio's more jazzier, weird psychedelic stuff like musical interludes to the sound of women being murdered. Its all taken from soundtracks made from 1969-1974, some of it is quite rare. I recommend the compilation to you all 10/10.

I saw the film, now I'm listening to the music of Daniel Johnston. I really enjoyed the album 1990, its sparse and odd, with a bit of variety. I'll be listening to more Daniel Johnston in the future.

djtrees

• Morphine 55
  • Karen Dalton 31
  • Make A Rising 30
Morphine - Rediscovered a band that I was really into a while ago, excellent indie bluesy jazz type behaviour. I got on telly at Glastonbury watching these ages ago. Fuck just looked that up and it was 1994 I'm getting old.

Karen Dalton - Really nice voiced folky blues singist, from that America. Supposedly like a folky version of Billie Holiday, but I can't see that comparison meself.

Make A Rising - Found via WFMU's marvellous blog. Remind me a bit of an American  poppier version a.P.A.t.T. who I always big up on here.

AlfRamsey

1. Half Man Half Biscuit - 89

New album out. A real grower too, liking it muchly.

2. Tom Waits - 32

Not much to say about this chap, remarkable man. I have to be in the mood for him though. I was, this week.

3. The Fall - 28

New album is fantastic. Top 40 hit and everything.

Hank_Kingsley

Quote from: djtrees on May 06, 2008, 10:59:37 PM

• Morphine 55
  • Karen Dalton 31
  • Make A Rising 30
Morphine - Rediscovered a band that I was really into a while ago, excellent indie bluesy jazz type behaviour. I got on telly at Glastonbury watching these ages ago. Fuck just looked that up and it was 1994 I'm getting old.

Karen Dalton - Really nice voiced folky blues singist, from that America. Supposedly like a folky version of Billie Holiday, but I can't see that comparison meself.

Make A Rising - Found via WFMU's marvellous blog. Remind me a bit of an American  poppier version a.P.A.t.T. who I always big up on here.

Morphine are right up there in my all-time greatest bands ever. Have you listened to any Treat Her Right/Mark Sandman solo stuff? There are some gems tucked away there...

Mindbear

1. Ladytron (38) - I can't stop listening to the new album, even though some of it isn't great, other parts are amazing.

2. Portishead (21) - new album, hadn't actually heard it before this week.

3. Liars (16) - The last album really is fucking fantastic. It's a pop album from a band who i'd imagined would end up putting out albums of just humming accompanied by the cries of angry children.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Mindbear on May 07, 2008, 01:50:41 AM
3. Liars (16) - The last album really is fucking fantastic. It's a pop album from a band who i'd imagined would end up putting out albums of just humming accompanied by the cries of angry children.

You should maybe check out the second-latest record they put out, Drum's Not Dead. So heavy on percussion, it's... why, dare I say it's hypnotic! The accompanying DVD is brilliant, too.

Their new album is really an oddity, it's like a lot of other ideas they toyed with, bunged on one record, and yet it works really well, as much as their previous concept records do, in fact.

Dead creative bunch, Liars, if maybe a bit mental. I find their older stuff a bit hard to swallow.

Famous Mortimer

1. Lightning Bolt (61)
I was typing a list of stuff into Excel (well, it's Open Office equivalent) and decided to slap their WFMU session on, and then it must have just carried on playing the rest of their stuff. Lots of extreme skronky noise rock fun though.

2. The Locust (39)
I presume this is a result of me leaving iTunes on and going out for a drink, or something (after Lightning Bolt, alphabetically). I'm struggling to remember what this band even sound like.

3. The Fugs (31)
Because they're awesome. Folk, rock, fantastic lyrics, clever, all over the place...like Sebadoh 30 years ago, but better. Hearing them makes me want to hear more of them, which is always a good thing, and I might now try and find a digital copy of "Contact High With The Godz" to go with my treasured original vinyl copy, now I'm on a late 60s ESP kick.

Mindbear

Quote from: nagsworth on May 07, 2008, 04:33:40 AM
You should maybe check out the second-latest record they put out, Drum's Not Dead. So heavy on percussion, it's... why, dare I say it's hypnotic! The accompanying DVD is brilliant, too.

Their new album is really an oddity, it's like a lot of other ideas they toyed with, bunged on one record, and yet it works really well, as much as their previous concept records do, in fact.

Dead creative bunch, Liars, if maybe a bit mental. I find their older stuff a bit hard to swallow.

Oh I've got it, I loved it. What I mean was I though they'd keep on getting more and more bizarre with every album, but they've just flipped and gone pop, and I love that too.

alan nagsworth

Pretty apt this week seeing as I've been ranting about these three artists in other threads:

1. Eels (22)
Just properly discovered them, really loving Beautiful Freak and Electro-Shock Blues. Susan's House is exceptionally good.

2. [http://www.last.fm/music/Beck]Beck[/url] (19)
Mostly the first few tracks from Sea Change, a truly beautiful record. Very folk/country, very heartbroken, and yet still very Beck.

3. [http://www.last.fm/music/Weezer]Weezer[/url] (13)
Listened to a few tracks of the new album. No thanks! But I was inspired to dig out the blue album. SAY IT AIN'T SOOOOO-WHOA-WHOAA!!

Little Hoover

1) Angelo Badalamenti  (43)
He's the composer for twin peaks, i've got hold of the soundtracks some really great, creepy haunting stuff on there, and some fantastic jazz 

2)   Tom Waits  (41)
The recent thread inspired me to seek out more by him 

3)   Duke Ellington  (20)
Someone who's been on my list of things I need to listen too, for a while, and now I finally got round to it.

buttgammon

1. Of Montreal (30)

A bloody fantastic, fun band that make music that is brilliantly listenable. Always high up on my list.

2. The Clash (20)

I went off them big time last autumn, but I played London Calling again over the weekend and it was even better than I remembered.

3. Woody Allen (19)

I recently obtained some of his standup and it's excellent, immensely funny. 'Oral Contraception' and 'The Great Reinaldo' are my choice bits of his act but it's all hilarious.

alan nagsworth

Why is it that the only posts you can't modify are the ones where you've made a right royal balls-up, i.e. my above post? WHY?

easytarget

1. Half Man Half Biscuit  52
Just downloaded the Peel sessions having never heard them before. They're rather good.

2. The Hold Steady  17
My constant companion at work.

3. The National  14
Looks like I listened to Boxer and a couple of bootlegs this week.

Mindbear

1. The Fall (34) - Been listening to the new album and all that business

2. Sebadoh (15) - Saw them, had to listen to more of them as I remembered just how fucking great they are.

3. The Mae Shi (7) - I swing between really liking, and not liking this band at all. Gay Against You are better by miles so I'm not sure why I bother.

vrailaine

1. Weezer-65
2. Prince-26
3. Chris Rock-23
4. 椎名林檎-18
5. Afghan Whigs-14
5. GZA-14
5. Bonnie 'Prince' Billy-14

Cog Sinister

1. Mondo Generator - 49
Nick Oliveri's main outlet post-Queens booting.

2. Dropkick Murphys - 40
Mostly the earlier albums I missed out on all those years ago.

3. Phil Ochs - 35
I'd forgottten how funny the poor bastard could be.  'Love Me, I'm a Liberal' is the comedy classic but 'Draft Dodger Rag' is worth a listen.

alan nagsworth

Pretty similar to last week's top three!

1. Eels (21)
Must just be the same stuff as last week! Selected tunes from Electro-Shock Blues and Beautiful Freak.

2. Fleet Foxes (20)
Incredible band. I'm almost certain that 2/3 of those scrobbles are just the track Mykonos as I've had it on repeat a lot lately. Good job my mom likes it, she'd be going spare otherwise. But yeah Sun Giant EP is fantastic and I've been meaning to listen to the album Ragged Wood, only got about three tracks in but it sounds great!

3. Beck (12)
Same as Eels no doubt, this will be tracks from Sea Change and nowt else, just like last week.

Marginally more interesting charts to come next week!

The Plaque Goblin

alan nagsworth

1. Ratatat (47)

Got a leaked copy of t'new album and it's bloody brilliant. So listened to that about three times this week plus flicking through some favourites from the other two records. God they're gooood.

2. Röyksopp (14)

Melody A.M.! It's an electronica masterpiece. Modest yet mind-blowing, relaxed and yet totally overwhelming, this is everything electronic pop music should be and more, it cites different influences throughout and remains so consistently interesting, a real start-to-finish record.

2. Tipper (14)

Has anyone else here heard owt by Dave Tipper? His stuff ranges from ambient dub, cinematic electronica and technical hip hop wizardry and while his other records are pretty awesome, none will ever top Tip Hop. One of the finest hip hop records I've heard in terms of sustenance, it could easily be played on repeat at a party three or four times before anyone realised they'd "heard this track already, I'm sure of it". The albums flows like one huge mix, flawlessly from one track to the next, some songs even sounding like two or three songs melded into one, and each one laboriously produced to excellent quality. As if that's not enough, Tipper adds some brain-melting turntablism that often leaves the listener in a state of shock and awe, and guest MC Epcot graces a few of the tracks with his mighty presence and lyrical miracles, with Tipper forever mashing his rhymes up with a vicious array of effects and glitches. It's nothing short of utter brilliance.

3. Squarepusher (11)

I've moaned about it not being up to standards on here before, but honestly I can't deny that Hello Everything is a great album. It mind not be insanely technical at every corner but some of the tracks (Theme From Sprite, Planetarium) are so gorgeous, it's obvious Jenkinson can wave his hand over many a style with ease and knock up something awesome. And of course, with someone as prolific and interesting as this, you're never unsatisfied as you can never tell what's around the next corner. Is it free jazz? Gabba breakcore? A bass solo?

I'm looking forward to when the beta test site goes properly live and then there won't be weekly updates and stuff.  Your top three could change from day to day, depending on what stuff you play.

At the time of writing, though...rather predictably, Elvis Costello & The Attractions are holding my top spot.  I've been listening to the 'Get Happy!!' album almost on constant repeat for the last few days.  Such a great record, really punchy.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: trotsky assortment on June 02, 2008, 09:52:03 AM
I'm looking forward to when the beta test site goes properly live and then there won't be weekly updates and stuff.  Your top three could change from day to day, depending on what stuff you play.

Oh yeah, and then my thread would be worthless! I bet you'd bloody love that, you heathens!!

Pie Pie Eater

1) Efterklang (24)

My iPod is manually updated so iSproggler doesn't scrobble multiple plays, hence the meagre figure of 24. But so anyway, Parades is an absolutely incredible album. I'm vaguely thinking about going to Supersonic in Birmingham for these (and Guapo, Earth, Noxagt, Oxbow, DJ Scotch Egg, Harvey Milk...)

2) Tortoise (21)

Perennial favourite, I've been listening to Millions Now Living Will Never Die again recently. ATP New York gets this for their Don't Look Back stuff. Not fair.

3) Life Without Buildings (20)

Sadly only one album, but it's great. Somehow the obviously irritating vocals don't piss me off, from which I conclude that the music is stupidly awesome.

alan nagsworth

Mini-bump - it's not dead yet!

Last week I thought I'd been listening a bit more, Ween had about 50 plays alone which is a lot for me. This week I was not shocked to see...

1) Ween (119)
Holy shit, total Ween binge. I have hardly listened to anything else this week aside from checking out a few new artists on Last. I won't prattle on about Ween here as I already made a thread for it, there's plenty of my adoring rants in there. Fucking hell what a band!

2) Red (34)
The only thing that took my attention away from Ween, heard this chap on Radio 1 a few months back and after a long search ('Red' is not a search engine-friendly name, there's about 4 other bands under that name garnering more attention than him on last.fm, meaning he's quite the insignificant speck on there) I finally found his album on what.cd. So good I immediately ordered it afterwards. It's really great hip hop, wouldn't sound out of place on Ninja Tune for its heavy jazz influence. It's so laid back, it's easy to get totally immersed in its beauty, its a lot like DJ Shadow's Endtroducing in that respect, Shadow would be the best artist to compare him to, although Red's music is a lot more straight-forward and crisp sounding. Brilliant stuff.

3) Cassetteboy (25)
Ah yes, ths was one of few attempts to break the spell of the mighty Ween, Cassetteboy's latest record 'Carry On Breathing'. It is very funny indeed! Especially the track The Lead Thief - cut-ups of football commentators that sound like they are commentating on the players having a bit of sensual man lovin'.

So what's everyone been listening to the past few weeks?

ziggy starbucks

1) Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds  55
2) Sufjan Stevens 20
3) Bonnie 'Prince' Billy 20

Theres so much great nick cave music. I listened to The Good Son, Dig Lazarus dig, Boatman's Call, Henry's Dream and the soundtrack to the assassination of jessie james. All great stuff, especially The Good Son and Boatman's call, which are perfect.

For the first time I got round to listening to some Sufjan Stevens. It was Come On Feel The Illinoise! and I enjoyed it a lot. I'll spend more time with it.

Obviously I listened to Bonnie prince Billy's  I See A Darkness, because I always listen to it. Its a part of my life just like bread and cups of tea are.

Little Hoover

1)    Why?  14
2)    Sun Ra  13
3)    DJ Mayonnaise  12

I've mainly just been listening to winamp on shuffle all week, and only listened to a few whole albums, Sun Ra is stuff I got after nosleeps special, and Why? and DJ Mayonnaise are both artists on hip hop label anticon, which is full of interesting, unusual and cliche free hip hop

Toad in the Hole

1) Shack  39
2) Stephen Stills  21
3) Blur  18

It's been comfort albums week while I've been going mental trying to finish a PhD thesis.  HMS Fable is still bloody marvellous, and had a run through Corner of Miles & Gil too.  Checked out Stills's Manassas having seen it mentioned on another thread on here, an instant hit.  And selected tracks from Parklife.

Bubbling under: Chopin, Afghan Whigs, The Meters.

lipsink

I've joined Lastfm last week and after a slow start I'm really discovering some excellent music.
Typing in stuff like Animal Collective, Jeffrey Lewis, Will Oldham and Daniel Johnston I discovered R. Stevie Moore who sounds phenomenal. Anyone heard of him? Also, Paul Barbibeau and Areil Pink's Haunted Graffiti (which is extremely bizarre and intriguing).

Sorry, but will post my top ten when I work out how to find it!

alan nagsworth

You'll need to wait a week until your charts are displayed. Welcome to a wonderful world of discovery!

quadraspazzed

1) New York Dolls [30]
2) Primal Scream [10]
3) Wu-Tang Clan [6]

Not really a true reflection as I listen to a lot of music in work now and haven't yet set up Last Fm there yet. NY Dolls was in anticipation of seeing them last Saturday, the others just randomly picking albums (XTRMNTR and 1/2 of 36 Chambers) as web designy background noise.

Spiteface

Here's mine for this past week:

1 The Smashing Pumpkins (42)
2 Manic Street Preachers (26)
3 Ash (24)

No big surprises for me at 1 and 2, but Ash have crept back into my consciousness as a result of my going to see them later this year.

More of me here:

http://www.last.fm/user/Spitefacev1/