Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:26:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Your LAST.FM Weekly Top Three

Started by alan nagsworth, April 02, 2008, 05:42:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artemis

1. Ann Peebles [39]
2. Jay-Z [15]
3. George Carlin [13]

I was just revisiting some old Carlin after he passed away. Jay-Z's appearance is to hype up his Glasto set, and Ann Peebles just because she's fucking great.

Pie Pie Eater

Quote from: ziggy starbucks on June 30, 2008, 10:47:50 AM
For the first time I got round to listening to some Sufjan Stevens. It was Come On Feel The Illinoise! and I enjoyed it a lot. I'll spend more time with it.

I love that record.

For me:

1) My Bloody Valentine

Always up there on my lists, but especially now I'm getting horrifically excited about seeing them at the Barras on tomorrow & Thursday.

2) Yo La Tengo

Revisiting 'I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One'. Fucking awesome. 'Deeper Into Movies' is one of my favourite ever songs.

3) Off Minor

Jazzy screamo/post-hardcore featuring ex-members of Saetia. They played in Edinburgh last week, which inspired the listening spree. It was great. When the guitarist in a band plays Don Caballero and Shellac for a line check, you know it's going to be great.

Vitalstatistix

1) Radiohead (69)

In preparation for seeing them

2) The Walkmen (37)

New album You & Me is gorgeous, and just gets better and better.

3) Fela Kuti (31)

Thanks to fellow cabbers I am now a massive fan of this guy.

alan nagsworth

1. Ween (45)
Still loving it. Not listened much this week though as the charts will dictate on Monday's update.

2. Mr. Scruff (16)
Why has Trouser Jazz been gathering dust in my CD collection for so long? This is awesome stuff, the jazz influence is mighty! I think I much prefer the tracks with less focus on beats and more focus on vocal samples and instrumentation, such as Valley Of The Sausages, Come Alive and Beyond... Come Alive gives me chills, incredible!

3. Red (15)
Last.fm needs to sort out separate pages for artists sharing the same names! I am not listening to Christian rock!! Red is a turntablist from UK who uses Ableton Live to layer loops and scratching to make some really love and again jazz-inspired trip hop stuff. It's like DJ Shadow but a bit more immediate and not quite as dreamy, his album Fingerprints is GRRREAT.

purlieu

1. Wire
No explanation needed.

2. Yage
Side project online release from The Future Sound of London.  Really fucking dark, eerie trip-hop sort of stuff, highly recommended.

3. Michael Cashmore
Been listening to his EP with Antony a lot lately, lovely.

niat

Is it just me or did Last fm undergo a massive facelift in the last hour or so?

(1. Radiohead
2. Editors
3. The Dillinger Escape Plan)

SOTS

Yeah, they just implimented the style that they'd been trying already via beta.

alan nagsworth

What the hell? Where's the week's charts? Now it just loads charts for the last seven days prior to whatever day you look at it. My thread has lost meaning!

Anyway my top 5 over "the last 7 days" is:

Venetian Snares (41)
Detrimentalist is a fucking triumph, easily one of his best albums. It combines all his different styles from classical composition to standard mash-up jungle to extreme breakcore insanity. It's like the album you play as an introduction to his works. Snares is saying "this is what I do and here's why I do it so well." I don't give two fucks if some of the tunes are his most accessible to date or if one of the songs is in a 4/4 signature, they're all proper stompin' choonz. In fact the two most simple tracks on the album (Koonut Kaliffee and Poo Yourself Jason) are easily my favourite from the album. Incredible stuff.

Killer Elephant (29)
So I've been listening to loads of my own music, so what?! I don't enjoy making music any more, now I have Reason and a shedload of samples and new effects I feel restricted, there is too much choice and I take it all too seriously. Listening to how awesome and carefree my old stuff is has made me realise this. I used to knock out tunes in less than an hour and they sound so good (bar the production which sucks)... it's really put me off making music again. Bah, but also, woo hoo!

Mr. Scruff (29)
Same reason as last time, funky jazzy awesomeness.

The Bad Plus (27)
Still my favourite jazz outfit, teir covers are as incredible as their own compositions. Chariots Of Fire, Heart Of Glass, Everybody Wants To Rue The World, Life On Mars... endless brilliance on their behalf, their back catalogue is nothing but genius.

Nobuo Uematsu (20)
I really want to learn to play piano! I hardly listen to the official Final Fantasy soundtracks any more, just the solo piano versions... they are so very beautiful.

hands cold, liver warm

my top 3 on monday morning were

1) R.E.M.37
Still my favourite band after all these years, their most recent album is excellent as is my favouritist album ever Automatic for the people.

2) Björk 18
Was it marvin on cab radio who played Gling Glo by Bjork? I'd never heard of it before and immediately tracked down the album. Its a jazzy album that bjork did in 1990.

3) The Fall 16
3) Shirley Collins & Davy Graham 16
3) Lal & Mike Waterson 16

I've never really listened to the fall before so I got the peel sessions box set. The first disc was ho humish. Distinctly un-ho humish are shirley collin's folk roots, new routes and the waterson's bonkers bright phoebus album. Bright phoebus is essential listening.

alan nagsworth

This week's:

1. of Montreal (52)
Wow, it's good to come back to oM after a brief departure. I still don't dig on much of their older stuff, but I know I will come to love it in time. In the meantime I've got plenty of Hissing Fauna, Satanic Panic, Cheery Peel and Sunlandic Twins to keep me happy. Really happy! Man, they're the best pop group evar. I need a leak of the new album! NEED!

Ween (17)
Don't remember listening to Ween but hey ho, they just sneak in where they can and I can't complain... ever.

Miles Davis (16)
Birth OF The Cool ... 'nuff sed. Jazz rox my boxers but it takes me ages to discover it and fully appreciate it. This album, however, was an instant success.

Vitalstatistix

1    The Walkmen   131
2    Madvillain   29
3    The Strokes   16

I am so impressed at the quality of the new Walkmen album I simply CANNOT stop listening to it. It just gets better and better, and I'm starting to think it may even be their finest hour.

Madvill because of Madvilliany 2: The Madlib remixes, which has some cracking tunes on. No actual new DOOM though :(

The Strokes are shit now but I was rawkin Is This It? the other day and it's still great.

Artemis

I didn't like the Madlib Remixes at all. Infact, I removed it from my collection. Very disappointing.

My 'three from the last seven days' (which now get updated as soon as you listen to anything) are currently:

3. Madvillain. Yes, although I didn't like it, I did listen to it.
2. Lily Allen. I've been enjoying 'Alright, Still'. A newly discovered album for me.
1. Ani Difranco. Her stuff around the mid 90's was terrific. Also new to me.

I really want to like Ani Difranco, as I like so many female singer-songwriters, but frankly, some of her stuff scares the bejeezus out of me.

quadraspazzed

1. Elbow (in celebration of getting tickets to see them in October. Go me!)
2. Sizzla (just because)
3. Pendulum (actually been quite addicted to these since seeing them at Oxegen - they were by far the best band I saw, I 'd never even heard of them before though I did know a few of the songs - and if my mp3 player could scrobble, then they'd be numero uno)

alan nagsworth

1. The Unicorns (70)
Yikes, I knew I'd been on a binge but that's an awful lotta Unicorns considering I've basically only been listening to the one album (on repeat, with nothing else in between, for the past 4 days)... I love 'em! I've been wondering if they actually intended to kill themselves off from the start, what with all their songs being about short-lived fame and untimely death. Have a video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mIZooCIQ3o&feature=related

2. The Smiths (28)
This was all because of drberbatov's thread about having Morrissey's inability to sustain a relationship, or something like that. I just thought "how come I've not heard The Smiths in ages?" and bam! Happened just like that. That's just the impulsive kinda guy I am. I need to get some albums though as this was just their Singles collection.

3. Arrested Development (27)
I talked about these in the 'Albums which has previously passed you by' thread, they're really great, and not just because they sample a shedload of Sly & The Family Stone samples. That's a juicy bonus.

4. AFX (14)
Three words: Hangable Auto Bulb. If you're a fan of Mr R. D. James and still haven't heard this, what the hell is wrong with you?!

Vitalstatistix

1    Neutral Milk Hotel   46
2    Brian Eno & David Byrne   39
2    dEUS   39
4    The Tallest Man On Earth   23

NMH are a regular fixture, too much love.

Eno and Byrne's My Life.. is just amazing, and I hadn't heard it in ages so I've been giving it a fresh run.

I've been giving another go to dEUS' latest two albums Pocket Revolution and Vantage Point, which frankly pale in comparison to previous stuff, but is interesting nonetheless

Tallest Man is a new discovery for me, and it's brilliant. Lofi old-school folk with a genuine Dylan feel.

ThickAndCreamy

1 Bloc Party - 16

2 Pavement - 9

3 Bell Orchestre - 8

I have been in France from last Tuesday to Sunday so I haven't listened to much. However I've managed to go through my favourite songs of Silent Alarm a few times.

Pavement is usual for me now, if I can't think what to listen to I go straight to them and it rarely disappoints.

As for Bell Orchestre I recently bought their debut and I've been trying to get into them even though I have been quite disappointed so far with them. They do have moments of greatness however.

Ronnie the Raincoat

The Divine Comedy

The Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band

Suede

No change there, then.  I need new music taste.

At the time of writing, my weekly top three:

1 The Donnas
2 Jay Farrar
3 Jane Wiedlin

I'd just like to say, at this point in time, Jay Farrar's 'Sebastopol' is sounding like one of the greatest alt-country albums ever recorded.  I really must check out Son Volt properly.