Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:57:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Your LAST.FM Weekly Top Three

Started by alan nagsworth, April 02, 2008, 05:42:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mindbear

1. These New Puritans (21)
2. Los Campesinos (20)
3. Les Savy Fav (12)

I love These New Puritans, I'd rather listen to them than Foals any day, but they seem to be in the shadows due to Foals I think, for some reason only one math rock band can be in the limelight at one time. Los Campesinos are the best thing ever, I'm almost exploding at the thought of going to see them this saturday, it's going to be the best thing ever!

And Les Savy Fav. They're good too.

ziggy starbucks

1) Ennio Morricone 66
2) R.E.M. 45
3) David Bowie 41

Listened to lots of music this week. Load of ennio obviously. He has an enormous back catalogue of film soundtracks and stand alone albums, many of them are brilliant and I'm trying to listen to as many as I can. I recommend the samba album he did with chico buarque

Obviously the new rem album has been played a lot, its mostly excellent and much better than their previous 2 albums.

haven't listened to any bowie albums this week but I've listened to my favourite tracks on my hard drive. This was probably prompted by buttgammon's love of bowie and the album Low.

there.

buttgammon

Blame me for the Bowie why don't you!

Please do, Low's fantastic.

Paaaaul

Guided By Voices - 52
My favourite band at the moment, and possibly ever.

Tiger -27
A great Britpop era band who were destroyed by the press because they had bad haircuts.
They sound like a poppy version of The Fall

Scharpling & Wurster -19
My favourite comedy dudes at the moment - stats are misleading because GbV songs are about 2 minutes each and these skits probably average 30 mins each

Aphex Twin -14
I dug out my Classics album and a few singles last week.

Marvin

Quote from: Mindbear on April 07, 2008, 04:42:10 PM
1. These New Puritans (21)
2. Los Campesinos (20)
3. Les Savy Fav (12)

I love These New Puritans, I'd rather listen to them than Foals any day, but they seem to be in the shadows due to Foals I think, for some reason only one math rock band can be in the limelight at one time. Los Campesinos are the best thing ever, I'm almost exploding at the thought of going to see them this saturday, it's going to be the best thing ever!

And Les Savy Fav. They're good too.

I don't think These New Puritans or Foals are really math rock are they? Just like to mention math rock bands in interviews. God I hate Foals.

Marvin

1. The Martial Arts - 37

Our very own PaulTMA with an excellent free-to-download album. Great power-pop with hints of Big Star, Apples in Stereo etc, well worth getting and keep up the good work PaulTMA.

2. Vashti Bunyan - 30

Lovely, both Diamond Day and Lookaftering, just stunning, beautiful music.

3. The Dodos - 24

Quite enjoying this album, kind of a less adventurous, more indie-sounding Animal Collective.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Marvin on April 07, 2008, 09:41:28 PM
I don't think These New Puritans or Foals are really math rock are they? Just like to mention math rock bands in interviews. God I hate Foals.

Yeah... Polyrhythmic whatchamacallits and really tight drums aren't math rock. Though I don't quite know what constitutes real math rock, but I do like lots of the music that falls into that category (by definition of last.fm tags and allmusic.com reviews)

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: nagsworth on April 07, 2008, 10:38:38 AM
The Bronx (24)
Just got into these properly. It's been a good few years since I first saw the video for They Will Kill Us All (Without Mercy), one of those things I wasn't overjoyed about at the time but it always stuck as a good tune.. their first album is great, it's energetic and very rowdy. Now I'm gonna look into their second album to see if they stayed good.

Indeed they did. It's a little different (slightly less raw), but the majority is damn good. History's Stranglers and Dirty Leaves are both great tracks and, coincidentally, I'm listening to that album right now.

Anyway, my top 3:

1. Slipknot  - 42

Not quite sure how these have managed so many plays, but I'll occasionally stick them on when mood suits.

2. Misfits - 34

This'll be down to playing (most of) both Collections I and II one evening.

3. Refused - 32

After discussion in another thread in which The Shape of Punk to Come was mentioned, I played it again a couple of times to remind myself how great an album it is.

Fry

Of Montreal - 96
I really got into about 4 of their other albums I have been neglecting in favour of my favourite three albums (The Sunlandic Twins, Satanic panic in the Attack and Hissing Fauna, are you the destroyer?), and have found a new favourite album out of it! So that explains the massive count.
Outkast - 27
After going for a very long time violently disliking "Stankonia" and "Speakerboxxx", they have finally grown on me. I've been listening to them alot to get to grips with them.
De La Soul - 21
Pretty much a permanent fixture up there.

Marvin

Which is your new favourite of Montreal album Fry?

monkhouse terror

Quote from: nagsworth on April 07, 2008, 11:10:55 PM(by definition of last.fm tags and allmusic.com reviews)
if last.fm tags were to be trusted it seems that ELECTRO consists of any old bollocks with a synthesiser in it

alan nagsworth

Heh, tell me about it. I keep checking out albums and thinking, 'hang on, I'm sure I don't own this album, yet this tag would tell me otherwise. Apparently I've also seen them live.'

Mindbear

Quote from: nagsworth on April 07, 2008, 11:10:55 PM
Yeah... Polyrhythmic whatchamacallits and really tight drums aren't math rock. Though I don't quite know what constitutes real math rock, but I do like lots of the music that falls into that category (by definition of last.fm tags and allmusic.com reviews)

Argh, me and my genres, I'm rubbish at that. I should be good, I should know, but really, I just don't get it right. According the Last FM they are math rock, and as you've said, I too apparently like quite a few math rock bands.

And to Paul, just the other day I was having a good old listen to Tiger and saying that if they had existed two years ago they would have been huge. They were way ahead of their time really, they looked like shoreditch ten years before it actually did, which is quite an achievement really.

buttgammon

I think math rock is 65daysofstatic, stuff like that. But it's one of those things that doesn't really have a precise definition I guess.

ziggy starbucks

Maps are geography rock

Spoiler alert
apologies for this ancient and rubbish joke
[close]

CaledonianGonzo

1    The Rolling Stones  36
They're in the top 10 fairly regularly, and top of the cumulative chart by some distance, but this week it's been more a factor of acquiring their live album 'Shine A Light' and having a late-night midweek session after the premiere of the movie.  The version of blues standard 'Champagne & Reefer' with Buddy Guy is a doozy.

2    Serge Gainsbourg  21
I dug out the 'Comic Strip' collection to put on my Creative Zen and gave it a couple of spins.

2    Spiritualized  21
Due to acquiring their new album 'Songs in A & E' (great title) and hammering it's lead single 'Soul On Fire'.

Figures are a bit low, this week, but they'll be even lower next week as I'm on holiday.

If anyone wants to be be my mate, I'm located here:

http://www.last.fm/user/SteveMacE/

Fry

Quote from: Marvin on April 07, 2008, 11:48:28 PM
Which is your new favourite of Montreal album Fry?
The gay parade!

Artemis

New artists for last week:

1. Waylon Jennings (52). Love this guy. I acquired a three disc 'best of' which includes some real gems. If you can't place him, he's the guy who wrote the 'Dukes of Hazzard' theme tune.

2. My Ruin (38). 'Speak and Destroy' is their first album and it's absolutely stunning. On the basis of that I downloaded their entire discography and love it. Screeching metal but intelligent and electronic. Hardcore.

3. Fun Lovin' Criminals (26). 'As Bs and Rarities' is a fantastic compilation of some really rare and obscure FLC tracks. That's whats been on rotation. I'd recommend it.

buttgammon

The Plaque Goblin

-Moonshake  23
-Aereogramme  13
-Fugazi  13

Ah, the first two are bands discovered through last.fm! The former was linked to Th' Faith Healers and I'm not sure about the second. Perhaps I didn't after all!

I've had the Moonshake albums for over a year, but with this listen I may finally be getting into them.

The tracks on their last.fm page are from their final album and have a more dancey vibe compared to the guitar band-based sound of their first one 'Eva Luna' which I prefer a bit. I can't quite pin down it's sound, Boo Radleys meets Bad Seeds? But it is all good stuff.

I just got Aereogramme's 'A Story in White' and I'm not sure what to make of it yet, maybe in a year or so...

Finally, there's Fugazi's '13 Songs'. They rock, in a responsible way.

The previous week it was:
-Todd Barry  38
-Cows  23
-Doug Stanhope  15

But that's only because Barry has a total of 93 short tracks on his two albums. Oh, and The Cows RAWK!!!

Little Hoover

The Newest Todd Barry album called From Heaven groups things together more so there's only 16 tracks.

AlfRamsey

1. Luke Haines (60) - Always admired him, never listened to him much. Enjoying immensely.
2. Half Man Half Biscuit (55) - Permanent fixture. My itunes shuffle function seems to like them too.
3. The Fall (55) - The new album is great. That is all.

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on April 07, 2008, 11:18:50 PM
Anyway, my top 3:

1. Slipknot  - 42

Not quite sure how these have managed so many plays, but I'll occasionally stick them on when mood suits.

2. Misfits - 34

This'll be down to playing (most of) both Collections I and II one evening.

3. Refused - 32

After discussion in another thread in which The Shape of Punk to Come was mentioned, I played it again a couple of times to remind myself how great an album it is.

Lies.

Also, which Misfits? Greaves or Danzig?

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: Identity Crisis Ahoy! on April 09, 2008, 06:55:46 PM
Lies.

Well, out of a total of *checks* 93 plays, 42 were last week. And, of those, over 20 were between 1am and 3am one night/morning. I'm not sure what that proves, but it definitely proves something.

Quote from: Identity Crisis Ahoy! on April 09, 2008, 06:55:46 PMAlso, which Misfits? Greaves or Danzig?

Danzig.

Identity Crisis Ahoy!

Danzig is good, but I think I prefer the latter incarnation. Danzig on his own though may rival The Misfits.

gmoney

The Plaque Goblin

1    Fireballs of Freedom  50 -The greatest R'n'R band ever! Honest!
2    Moonshake  20 - This thread made me listen to them again
3    Dead Kennedys  15 - 'Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables', enough said.

Hank_Kingsley

Is it just me or is last.fm being a bitch about updating at the moment?

Artemis

A new update, so this week we have...

1. Candi Staton (33). I just love this woman. She's now turned all religious and is churning out sub-standard religious schlock, but her early stuff is fantastic, especially the album 'Candi' and the song 'Run To Me' from 'Young Hearts Run Free'.

2. Klashnekoff (24). This UK rapper's mixtape album 'DJ Skully Presents Klashnekoff' is brilliant, and it's been my soundtrack to commuting to my work this last week.

3. Ann Peebles (23). Not unusual to see this artist in my most listened to. She's just incredible.

buttgammon

1. Lou Reed and John Cale (33)

I got Songs for Drella this week thanks to Joeyzaza and I love it, so it's racked up a lot of plays. 'Small Town' and 'Trouble With Classicists' are my two favourite tracks from it.

2. The Apples In Stereo (32)

Very close to being number one! I just think they're a nice, fun band so I have listened to them a lot over the last week. Playing 'Discovery of a World Inside the Moone' while walking home in the sunshine today was fun too.

3. Of Montreal

John Cale (tied at 26 plays each)

Cale has already got a mention, but I got his solo album Helen of Troy this week and I'm liking it a lot at the moment.

As for Of Montreal (connected to Apples in Stereo with both being Elephant Six bands, of course), I find several of their albums highly addictive so I listen to them enough for them to crop up in my top three quite often. Good band.