Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:07:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Your LAST.FM Weekly Top Three

Started by alan nagsworth, April 02, 2008, 05:42:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiteface

This week.  Bear in mind I reset things a few days ago, so this won't be accurate:

1.  Fleeting Joys - A "nu-gaze" band that sound so much like MBV it hurts.  I love them.

2. The Smashing Pumpkins - Enough said.

3. Pulp - I got the "Hits" compilation recently.  Been listening to Common People a fair bit.  Oddly for a best-of, it's the full 6-minute version.

QuoteIs it just me or is last.fm being a bitch about updating at the moment?

I've noticed this.  I've had iPod-related issues with it too, it not scrobbling stuff I listen to on it.  I think I may have resolved this now.

Little Hoover

mine hasn't updated yet this week, anyone else having this problem?

*edit ah ok now it has"

Smashing Pumpkins 15
The Shins 11
A Silver Mt Zion 8

I barely listened to anything last week. Really Silver mt Zion should be top because I played two albums, last fm of course doesn't account for band with pretenciously long songs. But that's weird, it seems to have included some of the songs I played yesterday, the cutoff time must be 12pm not 12am.

Hank_Kingsley

It just updated for me:

1. Moby Grape (106)- a lot of plays, been listening to their whole back catalogue all week and loving it, especially 'Omaha'...that's a repeater.

2. Paul Hawkins (68)- Would be even more, but Thee Awkward Silences tracks are tagged correctly and I'm pretty anal about getting my tags correct. This is repeated listening to the 'Misdiagnosis' while trying to write a shit essay about some shit writer (I haven't left the computer for several days...)

3. The Zombies (61)- Getting excited about seeing them in June. They may well be past their prime but they wrote such gorgeous bloody pop. Better than The Beach Boys. For reals.

boki

I think it's time I added to this seeing as my last week's top three were pretty bizarro:

1 Patrick May (27)      

YES!  The PENIS MUSIC pioneer and General MIDI maestro finally gets a mention on CaB ;)

2 Pitman (19)

You can sit there in your denial all you like, but Pitman knows that you're from the twat farm, y'get meeeeeh?

3 Barry Lynn (14)

aka  Boxcutter, Barry's latest album for Planet µ is released under his actual name, which possibly shows an intent to stick more to dubstep in future under the Boxcutter alias and give himself free reign outside of that.  He's playing a set under each name at the  Planet µ night in May (at Corsica Studios), so we'll see.  All I know is he makes for great late night listening.

ziggy starbucks

1) R.E.M.   39
2) Ennio Morricone 36
3) The Beach Boys 27

errrr almost the same as last week. I still like the new REM album, I'm still exploring Ennio Morricone. last week I listened to the Cinema Paradiso, Battle of Algiers and Orca soundtracks. And I listened to Pet Sounds twice cos its ace.

Old Thrashbarg

1. Alexisonfire (25)

I haven't played them much recently (until this last week, obviously), but I love all three of their albums, with tracks from each receiving plays during the past few days.

2. The Bronx (23)

I seem to remember playing both of their albums after some mention of them earlier in this thread. Both self-titled (confusingly) and both great.

3. Joy Division + Richard Thompson (20)

Equal in third spot after playing Substance (JD) and Action Packed (RT), with Transmission, She's Lost Control and 1952 Vincent Black Lightning getting extra airings.

The Plaque Goblin

Quote from: Hank_Kingsley on April 14, 2008, 08:55:06 PM
Is it just me or is last.fm being a bitch about updating at the moment?
I just had a look and it hasn't included anything I've played since 9 April. Last week's results should look more like:

1    Fireballs of Freedom  61
2    The Flaming Stars 19
3    Moonshake  20
4    Dead Kennedys  15
4    The Paper Chase 15

alan nagsworth

Ooh, thanks for the tip-off about Barry Lynn, boki. This sounds great!

This week's:
1. Oneida (26)

Really it's just the Happy New Year album but I keep meaning to get more of their stuff, especially since this is such a fucking masterful piece of hypnotic (there's that word again... hypnotic!) psychedelic noise rock. Plus Oneida have a tendency to make tunes that are 13 minutes of two chords and smashing a crash cymbal, and there's none of that on this album.

2. OOO (16)

I can't even remember if this is great or not, but it's the first interesting piece of electronica I've discovered in a while so was quite refreshing. Glitchy ambient trip hop weirdness if I remember correctly.

3. Boredoms (11)

Because Vision Creation Newsun! VISION CREATION NEWSUN!!

Mindbear

Ha! Oneida! They are certainly an interesting band....I have to hear them a lot due to living with a big fan. I can't get past the one that goes 'light light light light light light light light light' for fifteen minutes. It's madness!

Okay, my new one!

1. A Place To Bury Strangers (25)
I have to say, even though they're an obvious sum of the JAMC, The Cure and My Bloody Valentine, they do it fucking well. Favorite new band!
2. The Chap (22)
The last album was brilliant, the new one is ridiculous. Do check them out, if only to confuse yourself.
3. Islands (13)
The new album! Hurrah for the new album! It's not as good as the last one sadly, they've lost their weirdness and become a lot more accessible, and it was the weird that made me love them. Still there with the dark dark lyrics though.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Mindbear on April 16, 2008, 03:46:42 PM
Ha! Oneida! They are certainly an interesting band....I have to hear them a lot due to living with a big fan. I can't get past the one that goes 'light light light light light light light light light' for fifteen minutes. It's madness!

Yeah that stuff pisses me off no end. Happy New Year is much more accessible but it's still weird as fuck. It's a glorious album, blows my miiind maaan. Never heard much appreciation for them around here though, apart from Neil who I know is another Happy New Year fan.

Quote from: Mindbear on April 16, 2008, 03:46:42 PM
It's not as good as the last one sadly, they've lost their weirdness and become a lot more accessible, and it was the weird that made me love them. Still there with the dark dark lyrics though.

More accesible than the first album? Islands were a more accessible Unicorns, it saddens me that they've diluted their sound even more.

Mindbear

I'll have to listen to Happy New Year, for some reason I never bothered....I just assumed it'd be a ton more 'light, light, light' and I could spend that time hoovering or eating a muffin instead.

And yes, it's just pretty much basic song structure for the new Islands album. It's a real fucking shame, because Vampire Weekend were the latecomers with the sounds that Islands had on their first album, but now Islands will probably become big on the back of them. I don't want them, I want them to be weird again, there's definitely no Rough Gem on there.....it's all a bit worthy for them. Heartbreaking, but i'm still listening to the album over and over, so it can't be that bad!

alan nagsworth

Here's a couple tracks from HNY, funnily enough the more accessible ones, if you like these then a gateway of noisy Oneida goodness has just opened, a dark mist seeping from the seams of the door as it does.

History's Great Navigators
The Misfit

Mindbear

Quote from: nagsworth on April 16, 2008, 04:22:42 PM
Here's a couple tracks from HNY, funnily enough the more accessible ones, if you like these then a gateway of noisy Oneida goodness has just opened, a dark mist seeping from the seams of the door as it does.

History's Great Navigators
The Misfit

Weeee! The internet! Thank you very much, I shall give them a whirl!

monkhouse terror

Artist 1
Artist 2
Artist 3

now who wants to have sex with me

Lord of divs

Quote from: Hank_Kingsley on April 14, 2008, 09:54:26 PM
It just updated for me:

1. Moby Grape (106)- a lot of plays, been listening to their whole back catalogue all week and loving it, especially 'Omaha'...that's a repeater.

2. Paul Hawkins (68)- Would be even more, but Thee Awkward Silences tracks are tagged correctly and I'm pretty anal about getting my tags correct. This is repeated listening to the 'Misdiagnosis' while trying to write a shit essay about some shit writer (I haven't left the computer for several days...)

3. The Zombies (61)- Getting excited about seeing them in June. They may well be past their prime but they wrote such gorgeous bloody pop. Better than The Beach Boys. For reals.

I saw the Zombies in Shepard's bush earlier this year, they were fucking ace.

Hank_Kingsley

Sweet, I feel better about blowing all my parents money on tickets now!

alan nagsworth

Quote from: monkhouse terror on April 18, 2008, 01:48:22 AM
Artist 1
Artist 2
Artist 3

now who wants to have sex with me

Artist 2? Fuck off you poser! And Artist 3, essentially a supergroup of members from Artist 1 and Artist 2. Your tastes in music are in no way deserving of sexual favour.

Quote from: Lord of divs on April 18, 2008, 11:19:10 AM
I saw the Zombies in Shepard's bush earlier this year, they were fucking ace.

I wish I'd made it to that.  I absolutely love 'Odessey & Oracle'.

Hank_Kingsley

Well, they're touring with The Yardbirds...so, you may still get a chance to see 'em.

I'm entirely unconvinced about the current Yardbirds line-up.  Still, it's not Keith Relf's fault he's dead.

Is Last.Fm down for everyone else at the moment?  I can't access my charts page at all.

buttgammon

Yeah, I think they've been having lots of technical problems lately. It's not scrobbled at all for me all day.

I've had no trouble with scrobbling recently, but I've just got home to find I can't even look at my charts!

buttgammon

I think it'll be back up soon.

Come to think of it, I'm sure I saw a banner on last.fm earlier today which said they were performing maintenance and (to paraphrase them) "strange things might happen" but things out to settle down within a day or two.

Paaaaul

QuoteDue to datacenter power issues beyond our control, we're trying to power Last.fm on a greatly reduced set of servers this weekend.

Now it says:
QuoteDue to issues beyond our control, we have lost all power to our datacenter. Unfortunately Last.fm will be offline until further notice.

buttgammon

Oh fuck, 'until further notice' never sounds good.

No, it doesn't.  I'm keeping it plugged in, in the hope that by the time things come back they'll get scrobbled from my cache, but I'm not holding out much hope.

The grey screen is gone.  Profiles seem to be back up, but there's not much happening.

Neil

Yes, Oneida are ace, and Happy New Year is great!  Up With People is hard to beat.  Great thread this, and even more so now that I've been reminded of these lads.  Peking O got me into them originally I believe (via a last.fm shoutbox comment, now I think of it.)  But, I got talking to someone through one of my last.fm journals, and it turns out she was at college with them.  I was asking her if they'd done any Silver Apples songs live (as there's a pretty obvious influence there...The Adversary is a great example.)  Anyway, she said she wasn't sure, but that they used to do Erase You by Moody.  Which is hilarious if you know the lyrics!  Top song too.  Here, have Moody by same:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6fS5rr9eFM

My top three for last week...I'd had the chance to catch up on a LOT of music listening, as I'd not had much time over the last while.  In comparison to this week, it's a huge amount of plays, I'd reckon. 

1    Ultramagnetic MC's  367

*cough*, yeah, on a real big Ultra binge again, love returning to them every year or two.  It doesn't get much better than Critical Beatdown, I still remember how long I spent hunting for that record about 10 or 15 years ago now.  The smashing joeyzaza once again helped me plug some gaps in my collection, so I was listening to a ton of singles rips, as well as the afore-mentioned Critical Beatdown, and The Four Horsemen.  I decided last Saturday to really dig deep into Best Kept Secret, even though it will pain me to do so.  So that's coming up.  I hate come-back records from faves, JESUS HAROLD CHRIST.  It's become apparent that Ced-Gee ISN'T doing a parody of Jay-Z, and that's just his new style.  FOR FUCKS SAKE!  Anyway, one of the greatest bands nee crews ever, and you just can't beat stuff like Travelling At The Speed Of Thought.  Also been very addicted to Raise It Up again of late, particularly the video.  Keith is just ON FIRE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5lG6OCeN2Q

I watch that and the [noembed]Travelling video[/noembed] again and again and again (particularly the Kool Keith bit of Raise It Up).  Just wish I could edit out the Numbers loop on the Travelling vid!  The two new verses are great, and the whole video is brill, with an ace intro...it's just that loop, no matter how many times I listen, it never quite fits right. 

2    Harry Reser  111

Found out about this guy when I was reading up on Jelly Roll Morton again - I tend to visit Amazon every once in a while to read people's notes and comments on the (incredible) JSP box-set.  Reser was a banjo player who made a lot of interesting novelty tracks in the 20's - I just HAD to hear him, and the Six Jumping Jacks.  Just sounded so FUN.  Sadly, I couldn't find hide nor hair of him...just a couple of novelty tracks on Soulseek.  However, that lovely man boki grabbed me a compilation from Emusic, and it's really great stuff, although the vocals may put some off.  Here's an instrumental:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1NOLRNoOqgk

If you know Tiger Rag, check his version on t'Tube.  If you DON'T know Tiger Rag, SORT IT OUT, YOU SHIT-HOUSE! 

3    Eric B. & Rakim  36

Hard to beat.  Fry just heard Paid In Full for the first time last week...lucky him!  Flav's first video appearance:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MO2tCBteW7U

3 would have been taken by Kool Keith, if all his alter-ego's were totted up.  He certainly has quality control issues, but he's just a GENIUS, and has an incredible voice.  An innovator and a brilliant, brilliant artist.  One of my heroes. 

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lVCA-WahQIo

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y6oUlDpXahE

Can I just say thanks again to whoever gifted me more subs, must be a YEARS worth or something?  THANKS, YOU ROCK!