Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:38:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Glastonbury 2008

Started by Beagle 2, April 02, 2008, 10:00:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThickAndCreamy

Well this is shit, utter shit in fact. Not one of my friends is willing to go Glastonbury and therefore I have a summer with no festivals, gigs or holidays. Fuck.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: TheFatBloke on June 23, 2008, 06:01:31 PM
Well this is shit, utter shit in fact. Not one of my friends is willing to go Glastonbury and therefore I have a summer with no festivals, gigs or holidays. Fuck.

Just watch it on telly. You get to see all (OK, some of) the bands crystal clear and close up (for free!), rather than half a mile away standing behind some drunk crusties. You have all the facilities you won't have at the festival, such as toilets that aren't filled with shit and vomit, and a place to wash. You can buy booze without worrying about some scallies stealing it from your tent. You can laugh at everyone if it rains really bad. And best of all you can have a wank to all the young bra-less girls you spot in the crowd. This is something that would be frowned upon if you attempted it at the actual festival.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on June 23, 2008, 06:32:41 PM
This is something that would be frowned upon if you attempted it at the actual festival.

*Googles for that picture of the woman masturbating in front of the Glasto jazz stage that did the rounds 2 or 3 years ago, but fails to find it*

Robot DeNiro

So, without wishing to further annoy TheFatBloke, who's actually going this year?  And is there any point at all in trying to arrange a meet?

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Robot DeNiro on June 23, 2008, 07:37:46 PM
So, without wishing to further annoy TheFatBloke, who's actually going this year?  And is there any point at all in trying to arrange a meet?

Dude, everyone is going!

Except TheFatBloke

Beagle 2

Quote from: Robot DeNiro on June 23, 2008, 07:37:46 PM

I really wanted to but my internet's been down and this is the last time I'm logging on until I get there. If anybody's connected up on facebook I supppose there's always that I can check on mobile, I'm James Taylor in the CaB group. Seems unlikely!

Weather looks decent. Woo, I'm excited now. Rumours of Coldplay filling in for winehouse unwelcome.

Marvin

I'll be there, not sure if I'll get a chance to meet up unfortunately but PM me if you want to anyway.

imitationleather

If anyone fancies a meet drop me a PM and I'll give you Richard McBeef's mobile number, innit. I'm going with her, Suttonpubcrawl and mayer and we'd all be well up for meeting internet people because we're friendless bastards!

Don_Preston

I'll be there, but I feel I'll be far too awkward to converse with

vdbn

I'll be there too, but none of you know who I am. Definitely going to see Cassette Boy though (enjoying the new album, BTW).

Neil

Folks, can you do me a big favour please? 

02895 81 1976

Take that number.  Stick it in yer phone.  Then give me a ring from Glasto at any time of the day or night, it'll go to voicemail (unless I'm hosting, which we can arrange for Friday or Saturday perhaps.)  I'd love to hear some reports of the festival, it'd be a great thing to play on CaB Radio.  Bonus points for phoning from the stone circle while the sun is coming up and everyone's singing and such-like. 

Looknorth

I haven't been to Glastonbury since '95. I was in love, the sun shone, we danced, we made love. I can't go back now.

Artemis

I'm torn between wanting to watch Jay-Z flounce off stage because he's not used to getting an empty bottle of beer filled with piss thrown at him, and wanting to watch Jay-Z prove to everyone that he is actually a worthy performer (with much more longevity and success than the Gallaghers of the world have had). I wonder which scenario will transpire?

drberbatov

I would go as far as to say that should there be a mass boycott of Jay-Z's set / or a bottling then it will probably kill Glastonbury as Eavis would pull the plug.

CaledonianGonzo

I don't really see ther being a bottling - it's Glastonbury, not Reading.  I'm not a massive admire of his, but part of me really does want Jay-Z to pull it off.  

Anyway, he might have an (obvious) ace up his sleeve:  bringing on Beyonce and doing Crazy In Love.

Artemis

I think when all's said and done, I'd really love to watch Jay-Z just do a fucking amazing set, and give two fingers to the critics. There'll always be those who say he's crap regardless of how good he actually is, but those people are idiots. Point is, the guy's a talent the likes of which doesn't come around very often; I'd love to see him demonstrate this, win over the crowd and remind me why I love hip hop.

drberbatov

I agree, though festivals generally rely on the crowd to make a performance 'classic'. 'Fade to Black' is document enough to prove that Jay-Z is a fantastic live performer but if the crowd is not into it then the whole thing could be a disaster.

Artemis

He's wise to this though, and has an enviable catalogue of established hits. If he pulls out classics like 'I Just Wanna Love U', 'Crazy In Love' and '99 Problems', plus brings out some decent guests for collabo's, I have faith he'll win over most of the crowd. Like I said, some are just going to be stubborn for the sake of it, but they should be ignored. Still haven't seen 'Fade To Black'. I really should.

ziggy starbucks

maybe some people don't like jay-z

because his music is unlistenable

Artemis

Quote from: ziggy starbucks on June 27, 2008, 01:53:30 PM
maybe some people don't like jay-z

There's a difference between 'not liking somebody' and arguing they "shouldn't be" at a festival, though. Glastonbury is a music festival, and the notion that one of the biggest musicians in the world shouldn't be there because his style of music hasn't been there before is just silly.

actwithoutwords

One thing I really hope doesn't happen is that the sound turns out to be shit. That's a real danger (even discounting the Dizee Rascal disaster with the Arctic Monkeys), particularly given how quiet the Pyramid Stage was last year. There were constant complaints about how quiet the headline sets were, and while low volume rock may be just about capable of surviving, thin-sounding hip hop could be horrendous.

weirdbeard

Quote from: Artemis on June 27, 2008, 01:55:09 PM
There's a difference between 'not liking somebody' and arguing they "shouldn't be" at a festival, though. Glastonbury is a music festival, and the notion that one of the biggest musicians in the world shouldn't be there because his style of music hasn't been there before is just silly.

I love Noel Gallagher and I'm not fond of Jay Z, and hip hop just doesn't stir my soul, but what he said about Hip Hop not "belonging" at Glastonbury is the stupidest thing he's said since the Blur AIDS comment.

By the way, even if Jay Z plays an absolutely bum gig, he'll get rave reviews and the whole thing will be reported as a great success.  Unless he gets bottled off. Which he won't.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Last year on Sunday night at Glastonbury as I shivered in my soaking boots and painfully picked the mud off my furry legs I told myself "No more Glastonbury". Yet I feel desperately unhappy that I'm not there. It feels as if I've deliberately boycotted christmas. I will go next year!

I don't know why Zane Lowe and Edith Bowman are wearing wellies (BBCThree). There's not a speck of mud on them, they've clearly not stepped out of the studio. Another example of the BBC scamming us all!

ThickAndCreamy

The coverage on the BBC is quite good really I think, although the've not really shown a single band I like at least they are showing different artists, have 3 channels to watch bands on and are changing the bands on all night long as well as having highlights early in the morning.

I really want a band I actually want to watch to come on though, the Editors just bore me live (Both on TV and in person).

Spiteface

I would like to make it known I will only be watching ANY glasto coverage this year for The Verve.

I wonder if I can play at Glastonbury next year if I write a bunch of songs and stuff?

Ja'moke

Quote from: Artemis on June 27, 2008, 01:50:58 PM
He's wise to this though, and has an enviable catalogue of established hits. If he pulls out classics like 'I Just Wanna Love U', 'Crazy In Love' and '99 Problems', plus brings out some decent guests for collabo's, I have faith he'll win over most of the crowd. Like I said, some are just going to be stubborn for the sake of it, but they should be ignored. Still haven't seen 'Fade To Black'. I really should.

Plus Jay Z is not the first hip hop artist to play at Glastonbury is her? Haven't The Roots played before? Not headlining of course, but still.

I know Jay Z seems an easy target for some people and he may not be the greatest rapper ever, but he's made some classic tracks and Reasonable Doubt is one of the best hip hop albums of all time. And yes, Fade To Black is awesome.

By the way is Kool Keith at Glasto this year?

_Hypnotoad_

The Feeling? seriously?

I can't wait through all this shit until Verve on Sunday