Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:28:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Whatever happened to ethnic jokes?

Started by Searchlight, April 04, 2008, 12:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Analrapist

Q: How could Hannibal have solved all his problems?
A: The damn fool could have bought Mr. T a helicopter.

Analrapist

Q: Why hasn't Michael Jackson flown a helicopter since the mid-'80s?
A: It's pretty obvious.

Goldentony

Q: What's the difference between Michael Jackson and Neil Armstrong

A: You can't fly a helicopter to the moon

Uncle TechTip

Spin this clip onto the last 5 mins to see why we don't have "ethnic jokes" anymore. Where's the funny? You can go off someone, Tarbuck. Try the first related clip for more.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lykvK18nkU8

ThickAndCreamy

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on April 05, 2008, 07:33:53 PM
Spin this clip onto the last 5 mins to see why we don't have "ethnic jokes" anymore. Where's the funny? You can go off someone, Tarbuck. Try the first related clip for more.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lykvK18nkU8
I agree, that clip is simply disgracefully bad. There is way too many people still telling them piss poor jokes in the pubs near me but they usually start with "whats the difference between a *insert race or religion*...

Just fucking awful.

boxofslice

chocky909

Quote from: Saucer51 on April 05, 2008, 06:17:39 PM
Who decided Aussie was a friendly term and p**i was racist? This is what I'm getting at. Is everyone who uses the term p**i automatically racist but none of those who use Aussie? Can it be proved? The reason I ask this is that I've heard English cricketers making assesments of "the Aussie and the p**i cricketers" and I don't think anyone wet themselves in fear.

Do you really not understand that the history of the usage of a word affects it's impact when used? It's about context and if you don't understand that then I really don't know how to help you. As for "Who decided...?", well, no one decided, it happened naturally. Like SPC said, racists use the term p**i (and there are a hell of a lot of them) so non racists avoid it. Same reason why most non racists don't tattoo swastikas on their foreheads.

Saying "p**i" doesn't necessarily mean you are racist but it makes you racially insensitive unlike "Aussie" which has no history of hatred associated with it's usage and you'd be hard pressed to find an Australian who thinks otherwise.

boki

Quote from: Pylon Man on April 05, 2008, 05:55:39 PM
The thing about American jokes is, as with anything, some can go too far and can be offensive. Like this:

http://www.clucksworld.co.uk/b3ta/usa-relief-farking-huge-version.jpg

I think that goes a bit too far really.

That was sickening.  I mean, come on - Vista?  Have we learned nothing?

Pylon Man

QuoteSpin this clip onto the last 5 mins to see why we don't have "ethnic jokes" anymore. Where's the funny? You can go off someone, Tarbuck. Try the first related clip for more.

Well, they are shit jokes, but I don't think they're offensive as such and I certainly don't think Tarbuck means them that way. I don't even think the audience takes them that way. They're just very lazy, being based on common stereotypes.

Pinball

If something is funny I laugh. Fuck PC. Bernard Manning did some great jokes, and some shit ones. Same for any comic. What I will not do is refuse to listen because it's 'not acceptable'. Frankly, if something is considered extreme or unacceptable, I'm immediately interested. Fuck orthodoxy. It's the worst form of Nazi-esque control of the populace.

The question is (or at least should be) - is it funny?

Pylon Man

Orthodoxy isn't Nazist. It's just how the general populace behave. It occurs naturally. Whether or not PC is an orthodoxy or not, neither is nazist in any way. Obviously, you can not* like a certain orthodoxy but to call it or all orthodoxies nazist is a bit much.

*The phrase "you can not" is far too ambigious. It's annoying. I say we need more of the subjunctive mood brought into English.

Ginyard

Pylon Man

Heh, had to just repeat this black joke I just hear:

How can you tell if a black man is well hung?
You can't get your finger between the rope and his neck.

Oh God.

I have to admit to browsing through the Sickipedia every now and then. The thing is, in amongst all the lazy dross and crap obviously thought up by genuine racists, theres the occasional undenyably funny gem.

In general I'm in there with Ginyard and Pinball, but if, as with all things, its intended to cause offense/maintain prejudices, its not funny.

Lfbarfe

Quote from: Pylon Man on April 04, 2008, 03:37:27 PM
Yes, but I still laughed at Bernard Manning's joke "I once knew an unorthodox Jew. He was a Nazi." Although that's one of the very few Manning jokes I've laughed at and I've heard it said that it's a rip-off of a Woody Allen joke.

Pretty sure it's in Woody's 1965 Granada special.

Kazuo Kiriyama

This might be better in the overheard bleakness thread, but one Sunday morning, I was flicking about and there was a program on where Neil 'Razor' Ruddock was training a team of ne'r do well drunk types. There'd been a bit of "lighthearted banter" with one of the black players that was causing friction, which ended with Ruddock bringing in Luther Blisset to have a go at them. Anyway, one of the players came out with an amazing stream of words that I immediately transcribed and quote below, exactly as it shat out of his mouth.

QuoteMy best mate's black, we always have a bit of banter. I call him n**ger, coon, 'Wog's the matter?' 'Can I borrow some of that suntan lotion?' He calls me honky. They're trying to ban Ba Ba Black Sheep and hot cross buns, it's ridiculous ain't it? It's too far.

I just remembered that Razor's subtle 'test' of if his squad were racist or not was to take them out to an Indian restaurant for a curry for "no reason at all," and observe the way they behaved towards the waiters. Nobody got spat on or anything, so Razor concluded there were no racists in his squad.

Bloody ethnics, coming over here with their jokes...

Chers penis

How is a Joke about an Irishman ethnic?

I think that before you try and find out what happened to ethnic jokes, you should learn what constitutes and classifies as "ethnic"...

Aren't the same sort of Jokes that were always told about the Irish still around now but repackaged?

How many Jokes do you hear nowadays that are based on the same generalisation that "Americans are stupid" or "fat" or "inbred" or "Inbred Stupid Fat people"?

I'd like to know exactly what defines an ethnic Joke and what is the intention of an ethnic Joke?
I've always thought a joke that was considered "ethnic" always featured a member of a minority group as the Jokes lynchpin and yet there was no real reason for using such a person other than to do the "funny" accent and appeal to that "BullDog" belief which is "All foreigners are stupid and sound silly!"

It would have been nice if once, just once, one of these "Comedians" had begun telling a Joke
"An Englishman, Irishman & a Scotsman walk into a pub..."

but then they end it with an outrageously contraversial punchline

"...and It turns out, said Paddy, that actually stupidity and nationality have no positive corrolation or sociological bonds in any form and has been proven scientifically, politically or psychologically to be an unfair label. Every major study of human DNA strands has allowed all homosapien's genetic ancestory to be traced deep throughout history to the nation, the culture & the race that started a biologically epic journey that will show the links that everyone of us has a new and distant family, one which we should be proud  of, that we should shouting about and then one day, maybe, we'll join together in peace and equality...concluding there, Murphy McPaddy was assaulted by a English Policeman who'd arrested Paddy for 2 reasons, a) on suspiscion of being in the IRA accounts dept. and b)cos he was there the copper was bored and he couldn;t find any nearby Black man to victimise...Sad isn't it Ladies and Gentleman? Thank you for coming...I'm Tom "Token Irishman" O'conner...Goodnight!"   

That would have made all that shite stand up completely worthwhile.

Suttonpubcrawl

Quote from: Chers penis on April 09, 2008, 04:53:18 AM
How is a Joke about an Irishman ethnic?

I think that before you try and find out what happened to ethnic jokes, you should learn what constitutes and classifies as "ethnic"...

You are not clever. You are the opposite.