Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:22:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone trying to get Glastonbury tickets at the moment?

Started by thisissi, April 06, 2008, 09:01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don_Preston

Ah bloody hell, at least that clears it up. Thanks Marvin

sublingual

Quote from: Don_Preston on April 14, 2008, 11:43:38 PM
sublingual, if you dont get the email within 24 hours, I think you can just email them.

Woo, I had both come through today. Now all I have to do is coordinate my friends so I don't end up going on my own.

Did you get yours?

chand

Quote from: Don_Preston on April 14, 2008, 11:43:38 PM
The fact they ticket website is still offering tickets on the main page is still keeping me slightly optimistic.

It's alright, they'll never sell all the tickets, and it's all Jay-Z's fault apparently. Definitely all him and nothing to do with the multi-million selling global pop phenomenon that is Kings Of Leon, who I'm sure are pulling in the punters in their hundreds of thousands.

George Oscar Bluth II

The fact that there's still tickets now is pretty crazy. The headliners are pretty weak, Kings of Leon aren't exactly mainstream, Jay-Z isn't going to attract the home counties crowd and...I dunno who else they've got actually.

It's odd, this time last year I'd have knawed someone's cock off for a ticket, this year I could probably buy some right now and I don't care :/

chand

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on April 15, 2008, 11:18:51 PM
The fact that there's still tickets now is pretty crazy. The headliners are pretty weak, Kings of Leon aren't exactly mainstream, Jay-Z isn't going to attract the home counties crowd and...I dunno who else they've got actually.

The third headliners are The Verve, who will be partying like it's 1997.

Viero_Berlotti

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on April 15, 2008, 11:18:51 PM
Kings of Leon

I kind of feel sorry for the Kings Of Leon, I saw them at Leeds last year and they were interminably dull. The only reason they have any kind of career is because they are "big" in the UK. In the U.S. they are nothing, I suppose it's karma, the U.S. getting revenge on us for sending over Bush in the 1990's.

So expect the Kings Of Leon to stink up the festival scene for years to come until the Great British public stop buying their records. I'll admit I did like "Youth and Young Manhood" but the stuff since then has been moribund to say the least. The rumours that they had "help" writing the first album but not subsequent releases, I think rings true.

George Oscar Bluth II

Yeah, Youth and Young Manhood is ace. Their later stuff...really dull.

The Verve? The fucking Verve? You're kidding me?

So why's the focus been on how Jay-Z's been stinking the place up? He's the best and most popular act out of the headliners by miles.

Viero_Berlotti

I really hope Jay-Z fucks the place up, it's what Glastonbury deserves. Noel Gallagher just sounded like a knob with his "guitar bands" comment. What a surprise, his big gob starts having an opinion again just on the eve of the release of Oasis's latest album.

Sorry Noel, we forgot who you were for a minute there, say hello to Liam for us though........ lovely teeth.

(I do hope the next Oasis album is as good as is rumoured though......cunts).

Marvin

The Pyramid headliners mean fuck-all to the core regular ticket-buyers of Glastonbury, they also upped the attendence by 40,000 last year, which was ill-thought-out - demand was high due to the fallow year, it was always going to go down.

Last year's Friday and Sat headliners were far worse (Arctic Monkeys, The Killers) but I only saw two bands on the Pyramid all weekend anyway. 99% of the line-up's yet to be announced, and last year there was some incredible stuff in there.

Detective John Kimble

Well, there's this as-expected whining from Noel Gallagher:  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7345780.stm - no doubt some folks had a sweepstake on as to the date when Noel would whine about Jay-Z.  The black man coming over here to defile our pure white rock festivals, we will fight them in the cesspools, on the mud...well, probably not for that reason.  Still, the fact that he's hip-hop makes him an easy scapegoat for some reason - even though Jay-Z's known to be one of the greatest live acts in the world and has been for some years now.

George Oscar Bluth II

Marvin, Arctic Monkeys are, objectively, one of the biggest bands in Britain. Think of them what you like, but they're still a draw. More so than The Verve and Kings of Leon are, anyway.

Beagle 2

I just think he's right though. Glastonbury might be this great diverse arts festival, but look around at any point and it's 95% white middle class people, most of whom are there to see the music. Whatever you think of Jay-Z  he's never going to pull these sort of crowds and it seems a waste of his and everybody else's time to try and pretend that he will. Yes, he might blow everybody away but it just seems like an unnecessary experiment. And The Verve is just fucking weak. Oh well, I've got me ticket and I'll be miles away from the big pointy stage.

Don_Preston

Quote from: sublingual on April 15, 2008, 08:27:45 PM
Woo, I had both come through today. Now all I have to do is coordinate my friends so I don't end up going on my own.

Did you get yours?

I found out I got the email late last night, so bought myself a ticket this morning, which I'm equally elated and astonished at.

Mindbear

Quote from: Detective John Kimble on April 16, 2008, 12:30:04 AM
Well, there's this as-expected whining from Noel Gallagher:  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7345780.stm - no doubt some folks had a sweepstake on as to the date when Noel would whine about Jay-Z.  The black man coming over here to defile our pure white rock festivals, we will fight them in the cesspools, on the mud...well, probably not for that reason.  Still, the fact that he's hip-hop makes him an easy scapegoat for some reason - even though Jay-Z's known to be one of the greatest live acts in the world and has been for some years now.

Urgh! How dare he! Noel generally is quite an amiable chap from what I hear and read, but what a total moron he seems with those comments. In Noels brain, it seems that the festival has been filled with people playing acoustic guitars and men playing fucking spoons. There have been tons of innovative exciting bands play the festival, and Jay Z headlining is the most exciting thing i've heard in years. Last year the line up was utter shit, so I think this is great news....even if I won't go because I hate being dirty.

Marvin

chand

Quote from: Beagle 2 on April 16, 2008, 02:23:45 AM
I just think he's right though. Glastonbury might be this great diverse arts festival, but look around at any point and it's 95% white middle class people, most of whom are there to see the music. Whatever you think of Jay-Z  he's never going to pull these sort of crowds and it seems a waste of his and everybody else's time to try and pretend that he will. Yes, he might blow everybody away but it just seems like an unnecessary experiment. And The Verve is just fucking weak. Oh well, I've got me ticket and I'll be miles away from the big pointy stage.

I'm just surprised the ire seems solely directed at the choice of Jay-Z. I mean, whatever you think of Kings Of Leon, I'm struggling to think of a lower-profile Glastonbury headliner in recent years. Jay-Z's at least a kind of superstar. Kings Of Leon aren't even a Killers-style crossover rock band. Besides, it's not like white middle-class people don't listen to rap, and I would have thought there'd be plenty of folks interested in seeing something a bit different anyway.

Beagle 2

Yeah I suppose so, I am just as put off by the christing Verve and however much I love KOL I'd like to see them on a smaller stage, and last year's Leeds cast-offs looks a bit embarrassing. There's nothing wrong with something a bit different, but my judgement is clouded by the fact that although I'm not adverse to a bit of hip hop, I do particularly think that Jay-Z is absolutely fucking terrible. And yes I've seen bits of his  live show as my housemate thinks he's the bollocks, and I thought that was shite too.

It doesn't seem like they've picked him because he's innovative and different, it seems like they've plucked a very middle of the road mainstream megastar for a lack of any other ideas.

chand

Quote from: Beagle 2 on April 16, 2008, 06:16:44 PMIt doesn't seem like they've picked him because he's innovative and different, it seems like they've plucked a very middle of the road mainstream megastar for a lack of any other ideas.

As opposed to the innovative, different, cutting-edge future sounds of The Verve? They're not exactly gonna be able to put the non-mainstream rappers as headliners. There'll be other hip-hop acts there presumably, but you're even less likely to sell out a festival putting MF DOOM at the top of the bill.

wheatgod

What does it matter if it sells out or not?

When is the full lineup out, anyway?

Marvin

Quote from: wheatgod on April 16, 2008, 11:00:32 PM
What does it matter if it sells out or not?

When is the full lineup out, anyway?

Indeed. Why do all these stories fail to mention that until 2002 it never sold out until a week before, and that were this any year bar this year or last, it would have sold out by now - the capacity is just a wee bit too big for the demand, that's all.

Line-up's out May 1st.

Mindbear

Isn't it bizarre. Festivals selling out is something I still have a hard time getting to grips with. Why must they sell out, why do people have to buy tickets without even a line up these days!? If you're going for the music, why would you want to give over a wad of cash to see a line up you may despise?

Readings worse though I spose, they pack them far too tight, thank god i've finally decided I'm giving them a miss.

Marvin

Quote from: Mindbear on April 17, 2008, 01:51:05 AM
Isn't it bizarre. Festivals selling out is something I still have a hard time getting to grips with. Why must they sell out, why do people have to buy tickets without even a line up these days!? If you're going for the music, why would you want to give over a wad of cash to see a line up you may despise?

Readings worse though I spose, they pack them far too tight, thank god i've finally decided I'm giving them a miss.

That's true of Reading, but a large amount of people don't go to Glastonbury for the music line-up, it's not actually even billed as a music festival and never has been, it's an arts festival with a wide-range of things going on, and I'd personally try and go even if there wasn't any bands I liked on the mainstages.

Mindbear

Quote from: Marvin on April 17, 2008, 02:11:52 AM
That's true of Reading, but a large amount of people don't go to Glastonbury for the music line-up, it's not actually even billed as a music festival and never has been, it's an arts festival with a wide-range of things going on, and I'd personally try and go even if there wasn't any bands I liked on the mainstages.

Ahh, I've never really had much of an interest for the goings on other than the music. I can't stand the stalls and....come to think of it, I have no idea what else goes on there! I have to really really fucking adore something to want to camp for three days, potentially in filth and mud, amongst thousands and thousands of people feeling generally uncomfortable. I remember standing watching Blur in what turned out to be a puddle of wee. That felt worth it. Anything else, non.

rudi

After the first couple I went solely for the non-music bits, occasionally stopping by the dance tents.

Then it rained every year and I got old; hence: home in the dry in my pants.