Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:20:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fire Extinguisher Let Off Near Olympic Torch

Started by Blumf, April 06, 2008, 12:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7332942.stm

Heh, I assume that any whores who are out to get the torch are still there having fun at the moment, good on ya!

sirhenry

The other clip - of someone almost grabbing the torch from Connie Huq - seems to be narrated by our very own Artemis!

Keep up the good work folks.

Suttonpubcrawl

I've been watching reports on this on BBC News 24, and I think it's absolutely hilarious. From the coverage I'm getting the impression that it's absolute chaos. The clip of the bloke trying to grab it from Konnie Huq is fantastic, he really goes for it and manages to grab it with both hands, then the police absolutely pile on him and get him on the floor. It's all very exciting!

Suttonpubcrawl

It just gets better and better! I just heard the bloke on news 24 say this about the Chinese ambassador:
"The older lady, not to be confused with Denise Van-Outen, which perhaps you haven't done anyway."

Santa's Boyfriend

The Chinese government aren't going to be to happy about this!  I love Britain when it comes to this stuff.

Suttonpubcrawl

Now the news 24 presenter is talking to Joanna Lumley about her delivering flowers to Prince Phillip and her involvement in the Olympic torch protests. He's giving a very strong impression that he fancies her.

Suttonpubcrawl

They've got a helicopter flying over Trafalgar Square now. There's one thing we can be certain of about its pilot!

Goldentony

Amazing, this country's atitude to the Olympics from uproar about the logo being shit to this is constantly uplifting.

boxofslice

Well done to everyone who turned up to protest.
See you down at Primark tomorrow buying your cheap chinese mass produced goods.

Uncle TechTip

Woah, the news choppers-piloted-by-memes are getting close to each other, I'm reminded of that clip of the two newschasers in America, when they crashed into each other into the streets below.

George Oscar Bluth II

Magnificent, it's good to see a propaganda exercise aimed at legitimising one of the world's most repressive regimes is being disrupted in such a way.

Not that you'd know it looking at the official website: http://en.beijing2008.cn/

Uncle TechTip

Funniest news story in a while. News 24's coverage has been hilarious. The newsreader keeps making the point that the demonstrators were "dressed just as ordinary people" - what are they supposed to do, dress up as the Dalai Lama? Konnie Huq was adamant in her opposition to the Chinese regime, condemnation of human rights abuses and so on - but made some flimsy excuse justifying her carrying of the torch. Her face when it was being snatched away was brilliant - "here, take it!" Such moral contradictions are imposed by being a former presenter of Blue Peter, eh. And I'm keen to see what justification the Observer writer came up with last week to defend his carrying of the torch, assuming they don't amount to, "I'm carrying it so nerr!"

An entertaining Sunday afternoon! "Who's carrying it now, is she a Paralympian?" "I don't know, I'll have to get back to you - I do know that was handed the torch by Samsung, one of the companies sponsoring the event..." Oh BBC when it did all go wrong...

Here is Duncan Mackay last week, Guardian commenters not amused: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/mar/30/olympicgames2008.china1

That Emily Matlin also seemed a bit upset that the event had been hijacked and has cast her precious London in a bad light around the world.

chocky909

I'm a bit disappointed that the protesters haven't managed to extinguish the flame. It can't be that hard can it? I would fire a high powered hose from a window, JFK style. Or get a hundred people with replica torches to invade the road like in V For Vendetta and no one would know which one was the real flame and the Olympics would have to be cancelled. Or a nail bomb.

Blumf

One of those planes they use to fight forest fires.

purlieu

I love the way the torch is almost given a personality.
QuoteThe flame will complete the London leg of its journey with a finale event at the O2 Arena. It will then leave for Paris.

Marv Orange

Phew the sugar babes have saved this countries reputations.

Lee Van Cleef

Quote from: sirhenry on April 06, 2008, 12:35:38 PM
The other clip - of someone almost grabbing the torch from Connie Huq - seems to be narrated by our very own Artemis!

Sod the torch.  I'd rather have Connie.

Lady Beaner

Ooops, I just bumped the Tibet thread for nothing! Torch just went past my flat... rather dull.

http://www.youtube.com/v/5CvOqNXEFTc

Suttonpubcrawl

Quote from: purlieu on April 06, 2008, 04:36:00 PM

The best example is when they were talking about how the torch had stopped on the south bank for a "lunch break". I wonder what fine restaurant the torch had decided to eat in.

Mob Bunkhaus

Well, I just think it's a shame that the protesters can't appreciate that this is about the Olympic spirit and that's best represented by the millionaire Chief Executive of Chelsea FC running 100 yards in a polyester tracksuit.

In 1850 the Austrian General Haynau visited a brewery in Southwark a year after brutally suppressing an uprising in Hungary.

The Illustrated London News of Sept. 14, 1850 said that "Neighbourhood draymen advanced on The Hyena with their heavy whips, shouting: " 'Oh, this is the fellow that flogged the women, is it!'" A flying squad of police finally dragged him, bloody and beaten, to the safety of a police boat, and, "in the course of Friday night he took his leave".

Gawd bless ya, London. Not completely full of cunts in 1850 or now.

Edit: I'll leave that dangler - I like the idea of Peter Kenyon running around in a vast tracksuit.

Marvin

Quote from: purlieu on April 06, 2008, 04:36:00 PM

Heh, yeah - I liked this:

QuoteIt later made an unscheduled move onto a bus.

Great story and some great clips.

Pinball

Am I the only one who hopes that the Beijing Olympics will be really, really shit and hardly anyone turns up? That would be great :-)

Suttonpubcrawl

Konnie Huq was just being interviewed on news 24 and was asked if she wore a "free Tibet" or whatever it is badge underneath her tracksuit.

"No, I didn't wear anything beneath my tracksuit."

This is one of the funniest news events of recent years.

purlieu

I'm enjoying the Beijing Olympics site at the moment.

QuoteThe heavy snow in London exerted slim effect on people's passion of seeing Beijing Olympic flame as large crowds lined along the street to greet the relay of torch on Sunday in the host city of 2012 Games.

"Greet".

London is also being promoted there as the "capital of Britain". 

boxofslice

Just been watching Breakfast News and they had Konnie Huq on discussing the debacle yesterday and for a TV presenter she is one of the most inarticulate people I've heard. She kept using phrases like, 'kind of', 'sort of', 'yeah' and 'like', it's no wonder she's finding it difficult to get a job post Blue Peter.

semtex

After watching some of the footage on the BBC, I think the Met could have the makings for a half decent rugby team. Some of those tackles were pretty damn fast!

Suttonpubcrawl

Quote from: boxofslice on April 07, 2008, 08:23:17 AMJust been watching Breakfast News and they had Konnie Huq on discussing the debacle yesterday and for a TV presenter she is one of the most inarticulate people I've heard. She kept using phrases like, 'kind of', 'sort of', 'yeah' and 'like', it's no wonder she's finding it difficult to get a job post Blue Peter.

Yeah, I was thinking exactly the same thing when I was listening to her being interviewed on News 24. It's quite cringeworthy.

Bingo Fury