Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:51:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The CaB Deliberately Childless Club!

Started by Rev, April 07, 2008, 07:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terminallyrelaxed

Can I hang around here until I knock someone up? Its chilly out.

Still Not George

Quote from: Mindbear on April 08, 2008, 09:25:25 AM
I'm 28, 29 in a few weeks, and we don't even feel old enough to be married, let alone have children. My womb won't explode, I have endometriosis which is where your womb tissue starts growing all over your body and causes all sorts of havoc.
I'm really, really sorry Mindbear, but I find that incredibly funny. I don't know why, I just do.

23 Daves

Quote from: mitzidog on April 08, 2008, 01:44:21 PM
I know I'm approaching the big 4-0 at masive speed (June if you must know) but I've always thought that boundaries were a good thing for kids.

I think what's got me into so much trouble over the years is my belief that there's nothing particularly wrong with giving a child a smack in extreme circumstances.  I very rarely ever got hit when I was a child, but on the 3 or 4 occasions I did I thoroughly deserved it, and I knew damn well I was going to cop it if I was caught doing whatever it was I shouldn't be.  It did act as a deterrant to a certain extent.  I had a tendency to copy other less well-behaved children from time to time in the belief that their bad behaviour was hilariously funny.

People tend to point out the hyprocrisy of smacking children - you're asking them not to be violent and unruly whilst being violent and unruly yourself.  I don't remember pondering on the hypocrisy of this as a six year old, mind you, or making a mental note to write to the Court of Human Rights.  Perhaps I was a bit dim for a wee one.  But anyway, I think I just felt a bit sorry for myself, and vowed never to completely graffiti the school toilets out again.  And I didn't (well, not until I was a teenager, anyway). 

Captain Crunch

Slightly related, maybe - my friend has a little boy of four and lately he's been reading all these Freudian things about kinks developing in adulthood as a result of childhood discipline.  Cue mildly paranoid email exchanges along the lines of:

(him) CC you're a bit kinky aren't you?
(me) *splutter* no I ain't!
(him) because you never got smacked as a kid right?
(me) no, I never got smacked because I never misbehaved.
(him) ah, bollocks. 

I'm sure the weight of responsibility is enough without worrying about whether or not you're inadvertently raising a steaming great perv. 

Mindbear

Quote from: Lfbarfe on April 08, 2008, 01:56:48 PM
If you know you want kids, and the clock is ticking, do it now and sort out the logistics later. We nearly left it too late.

I'm too mental right now, I know that for a fact, I'd make a terrible mother, and I'm too selfish, I want to do my job and I don't think you can dj and be pregnant without it being somewhat damaging. What happened with you as regards of it being too late?

Quote from: Still Not George on April 08, 2008, 02:29:20 PM
I'm really, really sorry Mindbear, but I find that incredibly funny. I don't know why, I just do.

Perhaps the idea of a wayward womb, fannying about, causing trouble, like an organ with it's own ideas about how it wants to behave. It's a right git.

Minty

Speaking as someone who can't stand children, (they can't hold a conversation, they talk nonsense about imaginary people, they have no edifying frames of reference and their preferred cultural artefacts - films, music, literature, art, well they're frankly juvenile) I'm just not interested. Ha ha I am funny.

Two good friends of mine, she's a teacher and earns £30K and he's on £60K as a senior civil servant are in a very tight financial situation and she gets discounted child care. Yeah, OK they live in East London but now have to buy a property in Brighton (where her extended family is) in the current climate as their tiny two bedroom flat in Stratford ain't big enough. Other very good friends of mine, people who I grew up with have essentially severed all ties with many of their friends, myself included since they have had children (including other couples with children) which frankly has quite depressed me. Bitter? Maybe a little...

Personally, its just too much responsibility and chance to fuck up the little un - that's my issue I know but that's my feelings about it. The sacrifice is too great. And of course the obvious one is, and yes its a cliche but its true - there are simply two many people on this planet and too little resources. Fact.

Suttonpubcrawl

Pedro_Bear

Quote from: Minty on April 08, 2008, 09:12:31 PM
And of course the obvious one is, and yes its a cliche but its true - there are simply two many people on this planet and too little resources compassion for each other. Fact.

Fixed.

No, wait...

Quote from: Minty on April 08, 2008, 09:12:31 PM
And of course the obvious one is, and yes its a cliche but its true - there are simply two too many people on this planet and too little resources compassion for each other. Fact.

Unless you were actually referring to exactly two people, then kill yourself by jumping off a roof onto someone else, fixed.