Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:47:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How Do You Solve A Problem Like Stupidly Frittering Away £100,000?

Started by fol de rol, April 09, 2008, 08:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: fol de rol on April 10, 2008, 12:14:24 AM

"[A] lot of people will tell you that if you give poor parents extra cash they will spend it on alcohol, cigarettes and lottery tickets. It is not true. They spend it on food, children's shoes and getting out of unmanageable debt. No one has ever been able to show this before, not with hard evidence like this on a national scale."

It's the ones who have lots of kids even though they can't afford it and expect the government to foot the bill that are the problem. I wouldn't dream of having a kid if I thought I couldn't afford it.

sirhenry

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 14, 2008, 04:26:57 PM
It's the ones who have lots of kids even though they can't afford it and expect the government to foot the bill that are the problem. I wouldn't dream of having a kid if I thought I couldn't afford it.
I had two kids when I could afford it. Turns out that they're both on the autistic spectrum, so between caring for them and at least one major legal battle with the LEA every year my wife had to give up work and I've had to cut down my hours.
So now we can't afford to have children. If only life were that predictable.

And yes, we scrape by because of our dependence on state handouts. Without them at least two of us would now be dead, which would cut down our drain on the state I suppose. On the other hand if the LEA obeyed the law rather than trying to save a couple of thousand a year illegally, I would be working full-time and not need handouts to survive. Oh, the irony.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: sirhenry on April 14, 2008, 04:46:50 PM
I had two kids when I could afford it. Turns out that they're both on the autistic spectrum, so between caring for them and at least one major legal battle with the LEA every year my wife had to give up work and I've had to cut down my hours.
So now we can't afford to have children. If only life were that predictable.

And yes, we scrape by because of our dependence on state handouts. Without them at least two of us would now be dead, which would cut down our drain on the state I suppose. On the other hand if the LEA obeyed the law rather than trying to save a couple of thousand a year illegally, I would be working full-time and not need handouts to survive. Oh, the irony.

Well, obviously you're a different case, but I mean the ones who are dirt poor but keep having kids regardless.

All Surrogate

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 14, 2008, 04:51:34 PMWell, obviously you're a different case, but I mean the ones who are dirt poor but keep having kids regardless.
But, historically, and globally, the lack of a welfare system generally correlates with people having more children, as in the demographic-economic paradox.  The more secure someone feels, by and large, the fewer children they have.  Plus, the ageing and stagnating populations of the first world indicate that more children are needed, rather than fewer.  The 'dirt poor' having kids are actually providing you with carers for your dotage, and taxpayers to pay your pension.  You should thank them.

Futurebobbers

Quote from: fol de rol on April 09, 2008, 08:17:42 PM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article983713.ece
It seems to me pretty fucking onerous that they're being required to provide proof that all the money has been spent. ..... I've been meaning to do more research into this for a while now, but everything I've read so far indicates that (a) the benefits system is something we can easily afford, that (b) benefit fraud costs us nowhere near as much as people assume it does...

It doesn't matter how affordable benefit fraud is. Here's a couple who, eighteen months ago had £100,000, and are now claiming for housing benefit. They'd probably get it too, except there's £41,580 unaccounted for. For all the council knows, that's stashed under the mattress or earning interest in this mystery new bank account they opened.

Quote from: The Sun"They want receipts for everything."

John, 52, is fuming and they have refused to pay rent since February.
Of course they want receipts for everything, silly man. Now pay your rent or GTFO of your council flat and make it available for someone who needs it. You can move into your caravan.

thugler

Does obesity count as incapacity?

What exactly is stopping them working if they are capable of trotting round the globe?

petula dusty

Quote from: Rob BrydonOff work with depression but not too depressed to watch Sky Digital

rudi

Meh, I'm glad they frittered the £100k. Good luck to 'em.

What's the alternative? They get a place, lose their benefits, have to get a job, end up in my local garage (he will; she'll be lecturing in Applied Home Ec. at Oxbridge University, naturally) and are TOO FAT to get me milk and something sweet, no, wait, hobnobs, there over there. No! There. Oh forget it. At 3 in the morning.

I for one am happier knowing they're at home playing Scratchcard Extreme on their PS Wii and basically never, ever coming into contact with angry drunk men who demand a basic level of service for fuck's sake, naming no names...

Rolf Harris

"A lot went on general living. A pint costs £3 and when two of you go out, money doesn't go far."

I know, I know; it's one tiny quote and may have been taken out of context or whatever, but seriously? He thinks 'general living expenses' include downing pint after pint down the pub?

Regardless of everything else that has been said about the system and incapacity benefit and all that; why should anyone else be providing beer money to a couple of idiots who wasted £100k? I earn less than 20% of that in a whole year, why should they get any of my money?

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: All Surrogate on April 14, 2008, 08:08:17 PM
But, historically, and globally, the lack of a welfare system generally correlates with people having more children, as in the demographic-economic paradox.  The more secure someone feels, by and large, the fewer children they have.  Plus, the ageing and stagnating populations of the first world indicate that more children are needed, rather than fewer.  The 'dirt poor' having kids are actually providing you with carers for your dotage, and taxpayers to pay your pension.  You should thank them.

I don't think this is true.

sirhenry

I do. (well, the first part, anyway. The second part, we'll just have to wait and see...)

Sony Walkman Prophecies

I dunno i think with alot of you there's almost this tangible need for all incapacity benefit claims to be legitimate and for all your liberal ideals to be vindicated (and this is me speaking
as a screaming liberal myself)
The unvarnished truth is alot of people probably fall somewhere inbetween having a legitimate claim, and outright taking the piss. Kind of like when you tell a lie but incorporate an aspect of the truth to make it more palatable both to you and everyone
else.

Someone might want to insert some shameless screen grabs at this point..

biggytitbo

Quote from: Rolf Harris on April 17, 2008, 02:23:08 PM
"A lot went on general living. A pint costs £3 and when two of you go out, money doesn't go far."

I know, I know; it's one tiny quote and may have been taken out of context or whatever, but seriously? He thinks 'general living expenses' include downing pint after pint down the pub?

Regardless of everything else that has been said about the system and incapacity benefit and all that; why should anyone else be providing beer money to a couple of idiots who wasted £100k? I earn less than 20% of that in a whole year, why should they get any of my money?

If someone mugs you but then spends the money on looking after a poorly puppy, that's apparently OK.

People defend this.

thugler

Can anyone explain why they might are on incapacity benefit, when they are clearly not incapacitated?

Futurebobbers

Quote from: Rolf Harris on April 17, 2008, 02:23:08 PM

People requesting benefits after losing all their money should be evaluated thus:
"What did you lose £100,000 doing, sir?"
"I started a company providing milk to schools but the cows died"
"But at least you tried, here's your cheque"

"I bought a load of buy to let properties, I'm pretty dumb"
"But at least you tried, here's your cheque"

"Beer is three pounds a pint"
"Get out"

Quote from: thugler on April 17, 2008, 09:42:50 PM
Can anyone explain why they might are on incapacity benefit, when they are clearly not incapacitated?
Far as I can see, it's like child benefit for adults. You get it whether you need it or not, you just have to fill in a form.

sirhenry

£100,000 @£3/pint = 33,333 pints. Or 16,666 pints each.

I suspect incapacity due to severe liver damage.

Mindbear

Quote from: thugler on April 17, 2008, 09:42:50 PM

I think I saw the words depression further up the thread. This is the awful thing really, because as much as I want to say 'well we don't know their circumstances!', to have a couple both on incapacity whilst farting around generally, you can't help but jump to kneejerk conclusions which are probably totally wrong and unjust about them.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 17, 2008, 07:28:13 PM
If someone mugs you but then spends the money on looking after a poorly puppy, that's apparently OK.

People defend this.

I blame that Robin Hood cunt.

Hank_Kingsley

They seem like they had a good ride for a while.

Now it's time to die!