Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:27:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Misheard lyrics

Started by gazzyk1ns, April 17, 2004, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gazzyk1ns

This was a great thread on the old board. A combination of Partridge's recent thread in GD and and hearing an old tune for the first time last night inspired me to start a new one.

In Gala's "Free From Desire", a rubbish mid-90s dance tune, there is the line

"My love has got no money, he's got his strong beliefs."

I heard it as

"My lover's got no money, he's got his trampoline"

And a friend heard it as:

"My lover's got pneumonia, he's got his trumpet leaves"

Go on then, tell us yours...

morgs

"Sometimes I feel like throwing my pants up in the air" - You've got the love by Candi Staton or something like that...

peterperv

Chumbawumba - Tubthumping.

The line "I get knocked down, but I get up again"

was misheard by one of my friends as "I ate my crayons, but I threw up again" and another friend as "I got no dogs, but I'm an opera fan".

I think they need their hearing looked at.

Jack Skellington

Justin Timberlake- that "I just want to love you baby" song.

TO THIS DAY I AM CONVINCED THAT THE PRECEDING LINE IS "BAKED BEANS....AND FRIES"

Jack Skellington

Quote from: "peterperv"Chumbawumba - Tubthumping.

The line "I get knocked down, but I get up again"

was misheard by one of my friends as "I ate my crayons, but I threw up again" and another friend as "I got no dogs, but I'm an opera fan".

I think they need their hearing looked at.

Ive just choked on a pistachio nut because of you. feel proud. :)

gazzyk1ns

Haha that's reminded me of another one, at the beginning of Timberlake's "Cry me a river", there are some noises which could be interpreted as war cries if you weren't paying attention. This is what happened to a friend when he switched the radio on to hear it for the first time, and so when the chorus kicked in, he heard "Cry me a riiiiiiiiveeeeeeer!" as "Crimean War hero!". Don't worry, I looked at him in a strange way for a considerable time.

Jack Skellington

I really should stop eating whilst reading this thread, otherwise ill expire soon.

Utter Shit

One strange one that made me feel like a complete tosser the moment I found out the real lyrics, and connects both the topic and the forums as whole, was from the Only Fools And Horses theme tune...

"And where it all comes from is a Mr. Reed".

For like ten years, I thought it was that, assuming 'Mr. Reed' was just an amalgamy of all the dodgy associates Delboy has. I was disappointed when I found out it was 'mystery'.

Anyway, www.kissthisguy.com is a great site for comedy misheard lyrics, though some of the entries are clearly fictitious, as you'd have to be a total moron to hear some of them.

dan dirty ape

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"Haha that's reminded me of another one, at the beginning of Timberlake's "Cry me a river", there are some noises which could be interpreted as war cries if you weren't paying attention. This is what happened to a friend when he switched the radio on to hear it for the first time, and so when the chorus kicked in, he heard "Cry me a riiiiiiiiveeeeeeer!" as "Crimean War hero!". Don't worry, I looked at him in a strange way for a considerable time.

That is unutterably fantastic. I'd spit my coffee out all over the screen if I were drinking any, 'you bastard'!

Lumiere

Led Zep - IV - Misty Mountain Hop - "Hey, would we care". Always heard it as '"Hey, woobie cat".

El Unicornio, mang

I always heard Elton John's 'Sacrifice' as
"Cocoa heart" as opposed to "cold, cold heart"
Not sure what a cocoa heart is....

Kawaii Five-O

I Try by Macy Gray - "I blow bubbles when you are not there". Even now I know what the actual lyrics are, that's still what I hear.

Lumiere

I suffered a similar problem with that song...what IS she saying? "I have raw cocos when you are not here"? "I have all kinds of trouble when I am here?",

I always mishear REM lyrics because of the mumuring Stipe, most notably I was convinced that the

"Call me when you try to wake her up,
call me when you try to wake her"

line in Sidewinder sleeps was was

"Calling Cheryl Baker up,
only Cheryl Baker does"

Which in retrospect was quite odd.

morgs

Isn't 'Comedy shall break her heart' in that song?  Or is that a mishearing on my part?

kidsick5000

Quote from: "Utter Shit"
kissthisguy

Ah. the old jimi one.

That is one of the few Smith and Jones jokes i still laugh thinking about today.

A Passing Turk Slipper

There was some girl band a while ago that had some male guest singer on one single and he said the line 'I want to be the only one to soothe you' and it sounds so much like he wants to be the only one to sue you. My dad's always mishearing lyrics, he thought the chorus to that annoying Will Smith song 'Gettin' jiggy with it'' was 'take a chicken with it', he thought Country House had the lyrics 'up a gumtree' instead of in the country and also though that 'Alternative Ulster' by the Stiff Little Fingers was 'big yellow monster' in that chorus bit. Admittedly he didn't believe these were the real lyrics but he had no idea what they really were.

weirdbeard

When Oasis' 'DYou Know What I Mean' first come on the radio over a month before it's release date, I spent that entire month thinking that the first line of the bridge was 'I'll never make a painting cry'. It was only when I brought the single and read the lyrics on the sleeve that i found out the real lyrics were 'I met my maker, I made him cry'.  I think my interpretation was better.

And I also thought that the words 'Cocoa Heart' were sung in 'Sacrifice'.

gazzyk1ns

Haha yeah, dads are always mishearing things aren't they... mine thought the "Spare him his life from this monstrosity!" in Bohemian Rhapsody was "Spare him his life from these pork sausag-ee-s!"

GoochDogHigh5s

Quote from: "12 years, 11 months old"I always mishear REM lyrics because of the mumuring Stipe, most notably I was convinced that the

"Call me when you try to wake her up,
call me when you try to wake her"

line in Sidewinder sleeps was was

"Calling Cheryl Baker up,
only Cheryl Baker does"

Which in retrospect was quite odd.
Me too with that one!

And even Danny Baker himself, thought that crowded House were singing his name in Chocolate Cake

Kawaii Five-O

Quote from: "Lumiere"I suffered a similar problem with that song...what IS she saying? "I have raw cocos when you are not here"? "I have all kinds of trouble when I am here?",

It's "My world crumbles" - like weirdbeard I prefer my version, it's much more fun.

I've just remembered that every time I hear the chorus of Bandages by Hot Hot Heat what I really hear is "bag of eels, bag of eels, bag of jellied eels."

Ambient Sheep

Radiohead - "Let Down"
Even though I know it can't be, I never fail to hear the line in the last verse at 03:52 as "fuck her ass and fall in".  Every time (including just now), I have to look it up to remind myself that it's "floor collapses floating".

Tubeway Army - Are 'Friends' Electric?
It's "in a long coat, a grey hat, smoking a cigarette", NOT "and along comes Greyhurst, smoking a cigarette".

Genesis - Squonk
It's "he's a shy one, he's a sly one, wouldn't you be too?", NOT "he says 'I won't need a shower, doo-bee doo-ooo'".

GoochDogHigh5s

Had a massive row with a mate years ago, he was certain the The Jam's Strange Town said

"Walkie talkie football teams"
Instead of  walk and talk in four four time

I mean..What the hell are walkie talkie football teams??!!

Bogey

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"Haha yeah, dads are always mishearing things aren't they... mine thought the "Spare him his life from this monstrosity!" in Bohemian Rhapsody was "Spare him his life from these pork sausag-ee-s!"

I used to think another bit went "Beelzebub has a devil for a sideboard: Me". Hrmm.

The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite one must have gotten everyone. I, along with many others I suspect, thought it was, "Born in Jamaica, mon", and therefore I assumed they must be a reggae group.
It's ok though, because I was only about fourteen at the time.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "GoochDogHigh5s"I mean..What the hell are walkie talkie football teams??!!
Heh, that reminds me of this one:

Spiritualized - Electricity
Until I read the lyrics online somewhere, I thought that the second line of the second verse was "I'm calling Nietzsche on a one-way phone".  It is, of course, "I'm gonna meet you on a one-way road".

I prefer my version.

Ambient Sheep

Here's another one, rather more obscure this time I'm afraid.

The Orb - Earth (Gaia) - Patterns & Textures Live Version, i.e. the version on their first video and the limited-edition CD that came with it.
About 2/3rds the way through the track a repeated sample of a dreamy-sounding female singer comes in.  Me, my then-g/f and our friends came to the conclusion that at least one line of what she was singing was "Dragon Oxo", which we decided was a rather sweet reference to a certain crumbly brown substance.

It was only a couple of years ago, if that, that I found a website (now sadly departed, it seems, having tried to find it), that revealed it was simply "Tripping On Sunshine", from the rare early Orb release of the same name, which although I haven't got, I *had* heard of.  Well duh...

r smelly

mate of mine thought "I've got 5 on it" was "I've gone vibe walking" and another mate thought outer space by prodigy was "big fat chicken from outer space"

Crazy Penis

Years ago some woman off the radio said she thought that the Dream warriors - 'Wash your face in my sink', was 'Wash your face in my sick'.

Schlippy

Not so much a misheard lyric as an act of colossal stupidity on my part, but for years I thought the Manic Street Preachers was (Manic Street) Preachers, rather than Manic (Street Preachers), if yer narmean.

Listening to dEUS' "Suds & Soda" at the minute, it seems the guy in the background is just yelling "fried egg" over and over. But then I can't make out half of what they're saying, with their squeaky little Belgian yodellers voices.

A Passing Turk Slipper

The chorus of Bliss by Muse sounds like he is singing 'Give me some piss.' Honestly, listen to it and it's impossible to hear it again without thinking he is singing piss. There is another part in the song that sounds like he sings 'I want to piss'.