Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:29:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Misheard lyrics

Started by gazzyk1ns, April 17, 2004, 02:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banbury Cake

My favourite - 'Wishing Well' by Terence Trent D'Arby:

Just as it leads into the instrumental section:

'A wishing well, a crock of dogshit'

I think it's 'a wishing well of crocodile tears' or summit.

non capisco

Quote from: "Banbury Cake"My favourite - 'Wishing Well' by Terence Trent D'Arby:

Just as it leads into the instrumental section:

'A wishing well, a crock of dogshit'

I think it's 'a wishing well of crocodile tears' or summit.

God, that takes me back. Me and a mate at school used to snigger at that one when that song was in the charts, only we thought he was singing 'a wishing well of crocodile shit'. It gets better, though. In one of the instrumental sections afterwards Terence appears to ad lib 'hey,  you fucking well would'.

The same mate was also convinced that the shouted intro of Terence Trent D'arby's 'Dance Little Sister' ("Get out of your rocking chair, grandma!") was performed by Rik Mayall. Fool.

Make me smile

A friend of mine used to think that in 'Miss Jackson' by Outkast they were singing;

a strong british accent, wooo!

mikeyg27

In Rollin' by Limp Bizkit, Fred Durst sings (well, shouts)

Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' keep
Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' Rollin'

Supposedly. However, I am certain that what he is actually singing is

Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' monkey
Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' Rollin

Tina

does britney said "fuck" in the end of do something... or is that just me?

Beagle 2

"Oh Carolina, for a laugh, jump on France, oh Carolina game for a laugh, why don't you jump on France, for a laugh, jump on France"

Coughlan

Roger Sanchez- Another Chance with Love

I swear that the last part of the lyric goes

"I could never tell you it was Ainsley Harriet"

jimmy jazz

Radiohead - Go To Sleep

"We Don't Want Balloonists Taking Over" is acutally "We Don't Want The Loonies Taking Over", to my surprise

A Passing Turk Slipper

My Dad does loads. A recent one he revealed to me was that he thought 'I'll give you everything I've got for a little peace of mind', was 'I'll give you everything I've got for a little piece of pie'.

Jemble Fred

On a Beatles tac, I didn't know what 'Jai Guru De Va' meant the first time I heard 'Across The Universe'. But it does explain where I got the name for a character called Jackaroo Dave in a story what I wrote.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"On a Beatles tac, I didn't know what 'Jai Guru De Va' meant the first time I heard 'Across The Universe'. But it does explain where I got the name for a character called Jackaroo Dave in a story what I wrote.
Haha!  For years until I looked up the lyrics in a book I thought it was Kangaroo Dave or Kangaroo Days.

Danorak

My own interpretation of Bohemian Rhapsody (aged 2 or 3):
"Is the real life, is this just Battersea"
and
"Pigs will laugh, we won't let him go"

Also, there was a jungle track called "The Burial" by Leviticus a few years back; I was convinced the ragga vocals started off "Big man called Dennis" but it's actually "We big, bad and heavy".  Not very street, me.

Morrisfan82

Only today did I notice that a line from Lithium by Nirvana could easily be misconstrued as:

I'm so horny
That's OK, my willy's good

Maximash

That can't be it surely?! I was in stitches reading this thread.

When I was quite young I got it in my head that Hot Chocolate were singing "I believe in charcoal" and refused to let go.

Saturday Boy

The Parisians have a track called "Trust and Leather", but if it wasn't called that I'd swear blind that the chorus went "Oh god, he's just a lezzer!".

Pepotamo1985

Is it just me who was always under the impression that Hendrix was saying "the velvet poo" at various points in Burning Of The Midnight Lamp?

Quote from: "Muteki"Only today did I notice that a line from Lithium by Nirvana could easily be misconstrued as:

I'm so horny
That's OK, my willy's good

Wait- it's not that?  Oh jesus.  I have sang that line aloud at so many shitty rock nights.  What's the real lyric then?

oceanthroats

it's 'That's OK my WILL is good...' isn't it?

Morrisfan82

Yeah!

Americans don't say 'willy'... do they? It's usually 'weiner' or 'weenie', I thought.

jimmy jazz

"He's a complicated man, but no-one understands him but his woman, Joan Shaft"

Cliche Guevara

Not knowing the name of the song, I originally thought that "Drop it like it's hot" was actually something about a guitar: "Play it on guitar".

Seconded for 'Last night I dreamt of some Dago' in La Isla Bonita.

I always heard 'hey close the kitchen!' instead of 'pay close attention!' in Out Of Space by The Prodigy. In fact, even their name would elude one of my friends for many years, who referred to them as 'The Progidy'. I'm sure it's a common brainfreeze.

Also, 'What would you think if I sang out a tune?' Well, the meaning was essentialy the same, I just figured he was a poor singer, maybe a little Ringo-ribbing, but I still thought it was a little harsh to walk out on him just because he tried to sing.

Mr Colossal

I can never remember any of my common ones whenever this thread rears its ugly head...

I've always sang Dexy's - Breakin' down the walls of heartache as:

'I'm a compton cheddar love and your affection'

Ciarán2

"All the boys think she's a spa, she's got Bettie Davis' eyes".

Mr Colossal

The Jam's - modern world.

hearing it so many times without ever knowing the title I always thought it opened:

'This is a mob maul! '

JesusAndYourBush

When I first heard The Beastie Boys "Intergalactic" It sounded to me like like "Intergalactic warn the children."

Captain Crunch

That and the robot-voiced 'another dimension' can be skewed into 'I'm having a nice shit' if you squint your ears up a bit.

dan dirty ape

I used to think Ce Ce Peniston was singing 'finally it has happened to me, right in front of my face, monkey lips can't describe it'.

I don't know if anyone recalls the 80s band the Jo Boxers and their hit 'The Boxer Beat', which my dad took a liking to but thought it was called 'the butterbeans'. Don't know why that's stuck in my head for years.

Catalogue Trousers

Remember "Wimoweh"/"The Lion Sleeps Tonight"?

For years, I was convinced that the song was about a too-cocky big game hunter who'd finally been killed and eaten by a lion - a sort-of warning to the generally arrogant:

"Edward Jumble, The Mighty Jumble,
    The lions' feast tonight..."

I kid you not.

I also thought (God knows why) that the gnomes were writing "chocolatey throws" (perhaps slapstick pie gags?) rather than "comedy prose" for radio shows on Bowie's finest number...

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

I always heard Iron Butterfly's In-da-gadda-da-vida as 'in the garden of Eden,' and was mightily disappointed when I found out the truth. Yesterday.

Whoever sings on The Rockafellar Skank, I swear is singing 'Funk so rubber' or 'Fuck so rubber' or 'Fuck so brother' or something like that.

Oh, and does Blondie really sing 'Your hair is beautiful' in Atomic?