Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:28:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Boring question about DVT Flight Socks

Started by Rolf Harris, April 22, 2008, 09:59:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolf Harris

Just wondering first of all if these are worth buying - I'm travelling on 12 hour flight next month. Also, I seem to be in the middle of the general sizing; I'm a 9, and most seem to be offered in 6-9 or 9-12, which would be better for me?

Sorry for the dull thread. Perhaps you can regale all with tales of your amazing travels...

boxofslice

I hate flying. Not due to any fear like vertigo, just because I get this tremedous almost unbearable crippling pain in my ears that lasts for anything up to a day after the landing. It completely ruins whatever trip or holiday I'm on and pain meds do nothing for me. If anyone has a solution to this, apart from 'don't fly', I'd be grateful.

MojoJojo

When you land, take off your shoes and socks and walk around making fists with your toes. This works well, although can be difficult if you end up in a hostage situation.

CaledonianGonzo

I've got a 12 hour flight a week on Friday, but I plan to conquer DVT by taking two gratis drinks whenever they offer me one, thereby having to wander up to the toilets and back a couple of times.

Quote from: boxofslice on April 22, 2008, 10:23:09 AM
I hate flying. Not due to any fear like vertigo, just because I get this tremedous almost unbearable crippling pain in my ears that lasts for anything up to a day after the landing. It completely ruins whatever trip or holiday I'm on and pain meds do nothing for me. If anyone has a solution to this, apart from 'don't fly', I'd be grateful.

Pinch your nose and try to breathe throught it.  Or suck a barley sugar during take-offs and landings.

Angst in my Pants

I used a pair when I flew to Australia last year and they gave me some peace of mind, especially given I was stuck in the window seat with a gargantuan sleeping man blocking my exit for as many regular stretches as I'd like to have taken.

If you're a size 9 then go for the 6-9 instead of the 9-12; they're supposed to be a slim fit for your legs so the larger size may be too loose to be beneficial.

Hint: put a spare set of normal socks in your hand luggage so you can change into them as soon as you land; the flight socks aren't uncomfortable, but they are quite tight and so you'll probably be looking forward to taking them off by the end of the flight.

Also, even if you wear them you should still get up regularly or at least do the recommended in-seat stretching exercises.

Have a safe flight!

bennett

If you pop down to your local NHS hospital and tell them of your fears they'll probably give you a pair of the very tight thigh-length stockings they use to prevent DVT in surgery.  They're often nice like that.

You will look like a complete prat though because you can't really walk in them as their too tight to allow your to hinge at your knees.  Just a thought.

Rolf Harris

Cheers for the advice everyone - especially Angst.