Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:27:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Existence licenses

Started by biggytitbo, April 22, 2008, 07:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/law/article3792697.ece

QuoteFive men who deny any link to terrorism and have no previous convictions are challenging the Government's powers to freeze bank accounts, stop benefit payments and control the spending of people it has designated terror suspects.

QuoteThe power to designate people as terror suspects and freeze their finances was introduced without parliamentary debate by Mr Brown when he was Chancellor. He has declared that the Treasury has become a "department for security".

Under the sanctions, the men must apply for basic expenses licences from the Treasury to get spending money of £10 per week.

This is the barmy, Kafkaeque letter the men received:

Quote"The Treasury has reasonable grounds to suspect that you are, or may be, a person who facilitates the commission of acts of terrorism. In the light of the sensitive nature of the information on which this decision was taken we are unable to give you further details."

Isn't this getting a bit beyond a joke now? At the wave of their hand, and without any evidence, village idiot Alistair Darling can freeze your bank account, make you live under an 'expenses license' of £10 a week and put anyone who helps you out in jail for 7 years and you'd never know why? All without any parliamentary debate at all? If they have evidence someone is a terrorist why don't they try arresting them? It's pretty obvious that they've tried to sneak this through because they want arbitary powers to 'unperson' someone without any evidence. So its 'terrorists' now, how long before it's illegal downloaders or 'climate criminals'?

Anyone care to defend this?

Baxter

Ah yes, tut tut, awful business, but what can be done?

Probably best you admit defeat and try hard not to draw attention to yourself.

Pinball

Well I want to jolly well know who I can vote for to reverse this insanity.

chocky909

15 UK Terrorist Plots Foiled Since 7/7 Bombings

Wow, these new measures must really be doing the trick then!

Homer: Well, there's not a bear in sight. The Bear Patrol is sure doing its job.
Lisa: That's specious reasoning, Dad.
Homer: Thank you, sweetie.
Lisa: Dad, what if I were to tell you that this rock keeps away tigers.
Homer: Uh-huh, and how does it work?
Lisa: It doesn't work. It's just a stupid rock.
Homer: I see.
Lisa: But you don't see any tigers around, do you?
Homer: Lisa, I'd like to buy your rock.

Pinball

On the plus side, if people are scared shitless of their 'democratic government', then it's worth every penny. We've shown you, Mugabe!

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

They have bushy beards in their mid-20s. White peeps are jealous. Therefore beard envy=terror arrests by beard jealous crackers.