Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:52:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Big Brother 9

Started by Neil, April 23, 2008, 09:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Oi!  I put my telly on last night for the first time in 4 or 5 months, and caught some of BB USA.  And that reminded me that the UK version is due to start...5th June, it seems.  16 housemates. 

Report from the ever-reliable Daily Star, who went with the headline "Big Bro Battle Of The Asbos"

QuoteTHIS year's Big Brother will see more housemates than ever – sparking a record number of punch-ups.

A whopping SIXTEEN wannabes will enter the famous telly house on launch night – and they'll be the most hot-headed housemates the show has ever seen.

The fiery combination of loud-mouth chavs and yobs with ASBOs means arguments and even fights are likely to kick off at any time.

And security staff have been warned to be ready for bust-ups to get out of control. A show source said: "Get ready for Big Big Brother. With so many people waiting to burst through those doors at Elstree TV Studios, it'll be like the January sales at Next!

"The house may have had some alterations but in such a confined space it's a tight squeeze – and tempers can flare quickly in there."

Producers sent 14 new wannabes in on launch night during BB7 two years ago, including eventual winner, Tourette's sufferer Pete Bennett, 26, and serial whinger Nikki Grahame, 25.

This year presenter Davina McCall, 40, will unveil the 16 new housemates in a two-hour Channel 4 extravaganza on June 5.

The show will run for 13 weeks and already leaks have started about what is in store.

Builders have reported that a wet room has been installed – meaning the bathroom will be completely exposed without any shower screens.

A child-sized bed has also been spotted being delivered, which sparked rumours of a housemate's son or daughter being invited to stay the night.

Producers know a lot is riding on the success of Big Bruv 9.

They suffered a backlash after replacing Celebrity Big Brother with BB Celebrity Hijack, following the controversial race row which dogged last year's show.

Now viewers are eagerly awaiting a new series of Big Brother.

A C4 source said: "We have taken a lot of time and effort to ensure the new series reaches expectations."

The spy added the final line-up will be selected "in the next few weeks".

"And as the show has a long run, expect a few fresh faces to be thrown into the mix along the way."

Mindbear

Brilliant, I won't have to watch it,because I know it'll be fucking shit.

Ja'moke

I don't believe anything the Daily Star report.

But Big Brother 9 is make or break for the BB franchise I think, after the race row stuff in CBB5 and then the terrible BB8 and the decent but lowkey Celebrity Hijack, I think the producers really have to pull out all the stops to make this series a success otherwise it's done for.

There's lots of rumours of change around, I think we can expect to see a more game play orientated show like the US version which is brilliant, although the current US season which E4 are showing isn't too good, mainly because it was rushed together because it was brought back early due to the writers strike, plus a lot of the housemates aren't that likeable. But yeah I think BB9 will have some big changes, like BB5 did after the dull BB4.

And if it is still shit, then I will be turning off early this year and not leaving it until the last two weeks before I turn off like last year. Plus BB10 USA will be starting in July so that can fill my BB needs.

Baxter

QuoteA child-sized bed has also been spotted being delivered

Perhaps they're going to try a Big Brother style re-imagining of Paedophile Island.

_Hypnotoad_

QuoteDavina McCall, 40, will unveil the 16 new housemates in a two-hour Channel 4 extravaganza

Christ

I think the way to save this would be go back to what made it great

Deliberately pick, say, 10 people who represent a different section of society, but who, through the extensive interviewing process, have displayed that they are not in anyway interested in any kind of z-list post-BB shenanigans

Then keep that 10 in there for at least 3 or 4 weeks, give them plenty of tasks, like the house splitting one last time with rich and poor, then start the playing mental games and evictions

Let them spend a few weeks bonding first

But then that wouldn't do, I get impression C4 probably rely on the Friday night medieval baying and its associated ad revenue to occur every week at the least

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: _Hypnotoad_ on April 24, 2008, 02:49:10 PM
Deliberately pick, say, 10 people who represent a different section of society, but who, through the extensive interviewing process, have displayed that they are not in anyway interested in any kind of z-list post-BB shenanigans

It's an idea but these sorts are exactly who they in there, to ensure continued tab coverage even after the housemate has left the house (can you say Nikki, or Chanelle? Chiggy!). So I think they will always pick the z-list sleb wannabes.

"The house may have had some alterations but in such a confined space it's a tight squeeze – and tempers can flare quickly in there."

That's bollocks, every year they say it's going to be smaller, at this rate BBXV will be taking place in a wendy house.

Ja'moke

There was a suggestion thread over on the Channel 4 forums created by one of the producers, so I think they are a bit more serious about changes this year. He said on there that the house wouldn't be smaller and also that he understands people are sick of seeing glamour model types on the show.

So who knows maybe they've got their act together or maybe we'll got more of the same shit.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Mindbear on April 23, 2008, 09:57:49 PM
Brilliant, I won't have to watch it,because I know it'll be fucking shit.

Yeah, I don't wanna watch a bunch of asbo chavs.  The only thing that'd save it would be to not allow them any alcohol at all and we could watch them slowly go mad.

Ja'moke

They won't be a bunch of asbo chav's though will there? First of all I'm sure housemates are not allowed to have a criminal record, so that already falsifies that rumour. Plus it's the Daily Star and they've had the "asbo chav housemate" rumour going for years, the only way they push papers is by putting Big Brother headlines and Danielle Lloyd on their front cover and because there is no Big Brother news available yet they just make stuff up.

Anyway Big Brother Australia starts on Monday, I've never seen the series before but apparently that like ours has been a bit crap for the past couple of series, so this year there are big changes, here are the adverts:

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=_8m0--f_PDo[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=dyAI02Ng298[/youtube]

Couple of housemates:

[youtube=425,350]http://youtube.com/watch?v=3JUUO53HQ8w[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzsrmPcqJr0[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6NH2qDmk-o&;[/youtube]

I hope our series pulls something like that out of the bag, something that looks and feels different to get people back watching the show.

Artemis

Ozzie Big Brother has always been much better then our tired, predictable and boring offering to the BB global stable. Kyle Sandilands is a bit of a dick though...

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsi3HviFO10[/youtube]

Gretal was irritating and bit patronising, but did produce some truly memorable moments, like this horribly awkward, unjustified but entertaining attack on evicted housemate Michael (if you've not seen this yet it's worth a look).

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvRwovilYzE[/youtube]

Last year's show (was that the one with Hayley and Bodie?) was really great. BBUK's problem is that they don't recognise that people are innately interesting without having to engineer tacky storylines and contrived conflict-inducing, alcohol-fuelled bottom-of-the-barrel "twists". That's why the first season of BB was the best, and it's something Oz has gotten pretty much right up until now. Sure there's twists and whatnot, but the primary focus is on the people. When Shahbaz had a full on breakdown and had to be pulled out of the show in 2006, it was the highlight of that year by a country mile, not because seeing someone lose it like that is necessarily 'entertaining' but it's real, and that's what BB in this country has lost. They can mess around with formats and directions all they like, but it'll never be a watchable show until they pick genuinely interesting (as opposed to just camera friendly 'wacky' types) people and gently prod them a bit if they veer towards a BB4 direction.

Having said all that, Sam Heuston remains my favourite housemate of all time, just because she liked sex a lot.

Ja'moke

Last years Aus show was the one that Alesha(?) won, I remember because they made that phonecall between the BBAUS and BBUK house.

Anyway, I was under the impression that BBAUS has stolen/borrowed a lot of ideas from BBUK over the years, like the Evil theme and BB Bedsit etc and also that their housemates tend to be the same type of people, white, muscular jock types and pretty women?

But I've never actually seen a full series, only the odd clips here and there. The only other international series of BB I've seen is BBUSA which I think is tremendous (with exception of the current series) but it's a completely different format to all other BB's worldwide, although I believe a couple of series have started adopting bits of the US format (Brazil I think is one) and I'm thinking BBUK may too this year.

BBUSA Season 2 is one of my favourite series of Big Brother ever, along with BB3 and BB5 of our series. The house was basic, the housemates were all normal people and it was the first year they'd introduced the game play element and it just worked brilliantly, the lack of public vote makes it much more entertaining, the bigger characters stay longer and there's less sucking up the public because it doesn't matter what they think. The game play stuff isn't for everyone, but as a long time fan of BBUK the housemates I've always enjoyed watching the most are the ones that try to play the game, Victor, Makosi etc, so BBUSA really appealed to me. I'd definitely recommend checking BBUSA 2 out for those who haven't seen it, yeah you have to put up with the corny production but it's worth it.

I agree with Artemis in that the main focus should be the people but I'd like a little element of game play thrown in to our series, just so that the housemates have to actually fight to be there and not just sit around on their arses for 3 months waiting on magazine deals. The lack of effort the BB8 cast put in was just atrocious.

CaledonianGonzo

I saw a series of Big Brother Australia when I lived out there (the one won by the Tasmanian chip-shop woman), and from what I could tell it was very similar to the UK version  - not much between 'em really.

Other than the fact that one of the housemates told a few very derogatory anti-Aboriginal jokes and wasn't really censured for it - a mild rap on the knuckles aside.  Over here, I believe, if something similar occured there would be a bit more of a brouhaha (there you go - another word I wish was more commonly used).

Ja'moke

Oh definitely, some of the stuff said on BBUSA, this year especially is astounding, they'd be chucked out of the BBUK house instantly. This year housemates have been attacked about abortions they've had, a girl who's father hung himself was told to "go hang yourself like your dad" by one guy, Adam used the word 'retards' to describe handicapped children (causing him to lose his job from some charity he works for, which he's yet to know about because he's made it all the way into the final two)...plus a whole bunch of other crap. But this years US series was bad from the get go, as I've said it could be because it was rushed together due to the writers strike bringing it back early and the terrible 'soulmates' twist didn't exactly help.

Ja'moke

Watched the BBAUS launch night, first time I've ever seen BBAUS and I enjoyed it, although they dragged it out a fair bit. Jackie O was a good host but that Kyle guy was a bit of a dick, was he in an old series or something?

The housemates seem a good, diverse bunch though, I thought it may be uncomfortable for Rima the little person going in there just because of how the others would react to her but she had a really good sense of humour..."I've never met a little person before"..."Oh, well I've never met a person with dreadlocks before, so yeah".

I quite like the Doctor lass too, erm I think she's called Alice and the tomboy looks like she could be a good character.

Travis the guy with the extremely high pitched voice and that bimbo Paris Hilton look-a-like will definitely get on my nerves.

I see that BBAUS suffers from some of the same problems as our series though, a first night eviction is just stupid. I remember when we did that in BB4 and Anouska went, who was one of the only promising characters in that series.

But overall it was enjoyable, probably won't stick with it for the full thing seeing as our BB9 starts in a few weeks and also BBUSA 10 starts July 13th, so I think three Big Brothers at the same time would drive me completely insane.

Emma Raducanu

So people are still applying to appear on Big Brother in hope of becoming a celeb after the programme. Fair enough, these people are always going to exist. But, of the contestants that have been on so far, who is STILL on TV/Radio at present?

I can only think of two; Craig (Series 1) who is a worker on 60 Minute Makeover - not really a celebrity role

and that huge woman in a series I never watched who now interviews people for This Morning, I don't know her name.

Anyone still about?

drberbatov

Brian Dowling is still about doing voiceover work and presenting

Pseudopath

Jon Tickle still does Braniac: Science Abuse on Sky One, doesn't he?

At one point, MTV were planning to give Nadia her own show, but I think the project stalled at the "searching for Nadia fans" stage.

Marvin

Quote from: Ja'moke on April 26, 2008, 10:17:28 AM
They won't be a bunch of asbo chav's though will there? First of all I'm sure housemates are not allowed to have a criminal record, so that already falsifies that rumour.

An ASBO is not a criminal record.

Little Hoover

Quote from: Pseudopath on April 30, 2008, 04:14:03 PM
Jon Tickle still does Braniac: Science Abuse on Sky One, doesn't he?

At one point, MTV were planning to give Nadia her own show, but I think the project stalled at the "searching for Nadia fans" stage.
God, she actually won didn't she was actually quite a horrible selfish person, but the whole misunderstood transexual angle meant she won it.

Ja'moke

Nadia was voted as the best housemate on one of those pre-shows a couple of years ago. God knows why, she added to BB5 yes, but she was hardly the greatest housemate ever and not even the best housemate in that series.

Quote from: DolphinFace on April 30, 2008, 03:19:58 PM
and that huge woman in a series I never watched who now interviews people for This Morning, I don't know her name.

Anyone still about?

Yeah Alison could possibly be the most successful housemate, she does tons of celebrity interviews for This Morning and has been doing it for years now.

Jon Tickle as well I suppose, he still does Brainiac.

Kate Lawler had various presenting jobs and now DJ's around the world.

Anyway regarding BB9, according to 'insiders' this series will be focused on 'competition'.

Ja'moke

The house looks nice and big this year which is a good thing, the whole 'cramped' and 'claustrophobic' theme was getting very old.

rjd2

Are Victor and Science still persuing hip hop dreams or back on the dole?

Backstage With Slowdive

The only remaining option to make BB interesting is to have Mark E.Smith on the Celebrity version.

Ja'moke

New presenters of BBLB announced, George Lamb and Zezi Ifore.

New eye logo is released tonight.

New theme/format supposedly released Wednesday.

drberbatov

Artemis

Quote from: Ja'moke on May 12, 2008, 04:44:52 PMNew eye logo is released tonight.

Yep, and there's a countdown here. I hope it's good. Last year's was shit.

Ja'moke

Quote from: drberbatov on May 12, 2008, 06:54:55 PM
When does it start?

5th of June.

Quote from: Artemis on May 12, 2008, 10:48:50 PM
Yep, and there's a countdown here. I hope it's good. Last year's was shit.

Ah cool. Yeah last years was shite, really tacky and too colourful. The logo should be more dark and eerie.

Ja'moke

Here's the new eye, much better than last years. I like it.

Also from the Daily Star website, looks more official than the garbage they usually write:

BIG Brother will play dirty this summer with a brutal "war and order" theme.

The housemates will be warned to up their game, or face an early exit.

And the theme was hammered home yesterday when Channel 4 unveiled the show's new-look "shattered eye" logo.

Insiders said it was a deliberate move to make the logo black, the colour of authority, and red, the colour of war.

A spokeswoman teased: "Big Brother knows that power corrupts. And this year's game-playing will undoubtedly shatter the housemates' hopes of an easy summer."

The show kicks off its 13-week run on June 5. And bosses have hinted they might even turn the nominations on their heads by putting contestants who escape the eviction vote up for the chop.

They could also copy a twist from the US version, forcing  contests to appoint a weekly "head of house".     

A source said: "The weaker links might be made leaders, while others may see their control vanish. Expect sparks to fly."

War and Order sounds good. I wanted them to encourage game playing this year and make the show more competitive, so lets hope this comes true.

Artemis

Better than last years', agreed. Still, a bit prickly though, no?

Last year, the trailers had awesome graphics, but the credits to the show were awfully amateurish. I hope that's changed this year.

EDIT: That Daily Star stuff... if they're looking at re-jigging nominations then I'll not be complaining. Each year it becomes the dullest and most predictable part of the show and it needs a pretty drastic overhaul in my opinion. Oh, and haven't they done a 'head of house' thing before? I seem to remember them doing something pretty similar in season two or three.