Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:03:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Big Brother 9

Started by Neil, April 23, 2008, 09:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: remedial_gash on September 06, 2008, 12:02:37 AMShe was shit playing second fiddle to Ray Cokes back in the day, and she's still shit now.

Davina was Naughty Nina?!?  I suppose it's possible...or was she on some other Cokes gig?

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 06, 2008, 12:06:56 AMBlimey, there's a blast from the past, whatever did happen to Ray? I used to really like his MTV show and then he seemingly vanished off the planet.

I, too, loved Ray Cokes; one of the first things I did when I got web access back in 2000 was to find out where he'd got to (i.e., nowhere).  It's such a shame that he proved too dangerous for TV bosses, his show was genuinely edgy and controversial at times, when it wasn't being deliciously silly, and being a nerd I loved his live demonstrations of satellite delay!  I must go and look up this Myspace page of which you speak.

Funnily enough I found a VHS tape the other day that had The Best Of Most Wanted on it...if I ever do get my VHS deck near my computer and figure out how to do capping, that has to be near the top of the list (after Themroc and La Cabine).  I'll have to see if that's Davina in the catsuit.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 06, 2008, 12:06:56 AMAs for Davina...

...I think she's improved this series.  A lot less gurning and eye-rolling, although she has slipped once or twice.  After the last couple of series I was positively begging for her to be replaced; whereas this time round I could live with seeing her do BB again, even if somebody else could probably do it better.

papalaz4444244

Quote from: mcbpete on September 06, 2008, 12:56:27 AM
Yay, I finally managed to make an entire series without seeing even part of an episode or any of the offshoot shows. It doesn't appear as if I've missed much though. It's weird, I watched the previous 8 series pretty religiously, but halfway between series 8 I thought: fuck this....

Were you holding a melon with a hole cut in it at the time?

Viero_Berlotti

Fucking hell I thought I remembered Davina from somewhere. The early days of satellite TV in the early to mid 90's was ace, MTV Europe ruled. Ray Cokes always looked like a recovering heroin addict even to my young eyes, and years later when McCall was top dog on C4's flagship Big Brother show I was bamboozled. I remembered her playing second fiddle to Cokes in a Dr Alban interview and then intoducing 2-Unlimited as the main act for a MTV Europe party on a beach in Holland somewhere, she was so much more loose then.

Darnell 14.90%
Rex 19.15%
Sara 19.85%
Mikey 22.45%
Rachel 23.65%

Extremely close final, she deserved to win. Davina asking Rachel to share the 100k and give 10k to charity from what I've heard was inappropriate.

No way Sara should of came third and was so close to winning it.

Backstage With Slowdive

Quote from: Kazuo Kiriyama on September 05, 2008, 11:19:16 PM
I'll have to catch BBBM on +1. I made the terrible, in hindsight, decision to watch the 8 Out Of 10 Cats BB special instead. Luke is a panelist and his ratio of how witty he thinks he is and how witty he actually is could not be more skewed.

He wasn't the worst in that respect - Lisa&Mario get the prize, but they're just a creepy middle-aged swinger combo anyway. Charley, from last year, was the most idiotic and tedious of all of them.

When Luke mentioned that they'd opened a branch of Lidl I wondered if he'd always seen himself as a bit of an Alan Partridge.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on September 05, 2008, 09:55:50 PM"Vegas!, Vegas!, Vegas!, Vegas!"

There's a chap on DS who claims to be the one who started that here.  Also he reveals what they were chanting when Rex came out (which I didn't catch at the time): "Ditch the bitch!".

Meanwhile there's loads of controversy over Davina asking Rachel on BBBM if she was intending splitting the cash:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiSROpPdJwk

Backstage With Slowdive

Quote from: papalaz4444244 on September 05, 2008, 11:52:32 PMDoes anyone else think Davina is one of the worst presenters on TV and wonder how she gets any work with her egregious presenting style?

She was quite suited to doing mid 90s late night rubbish like God's Gift.

Backstage With Slowdive

Whenever I watch a clip montage from BB, which is invariably at least 60% footage of 19 year olds shrieking and running about, I'm just forcibly reminded that immature people are very boring. The most concentrated example of that is Nikki, who I'd forgotten until she turned up on 8OO10C last night, still doing her spoiled brat schtick which made the series she was in into a switch-off for me. Whenever she appeared on screen she was either (a) throwing things around in a painfully self-conscious tantrum aimed at getting attention, or (b) bawling her eyes out and doing lots of swears in the Diary Room. Just fuck off.

Where does Big Brother go from here?

Season 9 was tired and messed up by terrible decision making from the shows producers. Rachel won like Cameron did back in Season 2 (?) by somehow being nicer and a lesser evil than her fellow housemates.

I'm interested to know what kind of ratings the show picked up compared to previous years

Is it fair enough just to do one more series, one more final celebrity show and then to end the show an all stars edition?

Small Man Big Horse

There's a summary of the finale's viewing figures here: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a129719/big-brother-finale-is-lowest-rated-yet.html

In general it was the lowest rated series, but in it's favour, it started off quite badly but began to pick up more viewers at about the half way point, which is quite rare for a tv show these days.

There's a huge thread on DS which has all the figures day by day here: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=789660

There's also lots of threads complaining about Davina on both the live show and BBBM, apparently Channel Four have had a great deal of complaints too...

QuoteSeason 9 was tired and messed up by terrible decision making from the shows producers. Rachel won like Cameron did back in Season 2 (?) by somehow being nicer and a lesser evil than her fellow housemates.

I think the opposite really. It had a lot of great moments, and whilst the producers tried to affect things at times, it often failed, and the only time they managed to screw things up was by bringing in Nicole.

Ja'moke

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on September 06, 2008, 11:25:56 AM
Where does Big Brother go from here?

Season 9 was tired and messed up by terrible decision making from the shows producers. Rachel won like Cameron did back in Season 2 (?) by somehow being nicer and a lesser evil than her fellow housemates.

I'm interested to know what kind of ratings the show picked up compared to previous years

Is it fair enough just to do one more series, one more final celebrity show and then to end the show an all stars edition?

I posted an article a few pages back where Channel 4 claim that Big Brother is their Eastenders, which seems to suggest that Big Brother will be around a long time yet.

As far as I know the current contract is up to BB11, with two more celebrity series in between. So that would be CBB6 this coming January, BB10 next summer, CBB7 in 2010 and hopefully like you say they could just finish it off with Big Brother All-Stars for BB11 in summer 2010.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 06, 2008, 11:48:02 AM
There's also lots of threads complaining about Davina on both the live show and BBBM, apparently Channel Four have had a great deal of complaints too...

She was appalling last night, I have no idea why she suggested that Rachel should split the money, she began by saying "There was some talk in the house of four of you splitting the money", except we never saw this, it was never highlighed in any of the shows so why she thought the need to bring it up is beyond me. Rachel looked genuinely uncomfortable and in the end was basically forced to say "I'll give £10,000 to charity".

GoochDogHigh5s

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on September 06, 2008, 10:29:30 AM

Meanwhile there's loads of controversy over Davina asking Rachel on BBBM if she was intending splitting the cash:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiSROpPdJwk
Thats a fucking disgrace

Davina needs to grow up.A woman of that age trying to appeal to "The Kids" by being obsessed about who is dating who??!!

Grow up you pointed nosed bitch

At least the best arse in BB history won

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on September 06, 2008, 11:25:56 AM
Rachel won like Cameron did back in Season 2 (?) by somehow being nicer and a lesser evil than her fellow housemates.

Cameron did have a bit of help from the producers though, such as supressing his late-night bitching sessions (where he expressed a desire to shit in Jon Tickle's shoes, crush Lisa's windpipe, etc.).

Quote from: GoochDogHigh5s on September 06, 2008, 12:12:31 PM
At least the best arse in BB history won

Where's that animated GIF of Jonty spanking Kara-Louise when you need it?

Small Man Big Horse

Has everyone forgotten Emily's racist arse already? Tsk, such short memories...

papalaz4444244

Hmmm...... does it seem strange to anyone that bookies fave Mikey gets pipped at the post by a tiny percentage of votes?

In a show where anyone can phone in a vote, is it not possible for the bookies to alter the result* and save themselves £5.5m?

* Using a Homer-Simpson-like auto dialer?

QuoteWhere's that animated GIF of Jonty spanking Kara-Louise when you need it?

It keeps getting removed. Sorry.

Neil

I suppose, really, that it's kind of nice that you can have such a close result, and have a housemate with a disability NOT finish first (even though I think he was far more entertaining than past housemates with 'advantages'. 

I do think Rachel is an apalling choice of winner, but fair play to her for the amount of crap she took while in there, particularly from Rex. 

Not a bad year at all, just an average, over-long one.  Definitely less fucked about with, although I still think the way they threw Alex to the lions in order to boost ratings was particularly cunty.

Ja'moke

Yeah this series definitely had it's positives, less manipulation (in terms of nominations) than previous series, we saw straight nominations for half of the series (apart from week one's wedding task) and then they introduced the HoH immunity, but still everyone got to nominate everyone else as normal, plus the HoH wasn't allowed to become HoH twice, so it was still pretty fair.

It still needs to sort it self out in the task department though because after a promising start with the Electric Shock task it went rapidly downhill. Most of the tasks just involve the housemates wearing silly costumes, I'd much rather watch some challenging tasks that involve a mix of endurance, brains, strength and teamwork. I think they should scrap the spin off shows, both BBLB and BBBM and put the money that is spent on producing those shows in to building more expensive and creative tasks. A good task can really make a show because not only is it fun to watch from the competitive point of view, but also the way different housemates interact with the task and with each other during the task.

HappyTree

The thing that has annoyed me about this series has been the lies abotu Rachel, even perpetuated by Davina. This whole "different in the diary room" thing. Anyone with an ounce of perception can see that she is exactly the same, just not being intimidated by stronger and nastier people around her when she's in the diary room. And every single person says things more candidly in there than outside.

Rachel had lots of best bits, the producers just couldn't be arsed going against the boring meme. Rachel's best bits would not be, however, her being wacky or argumentative. They'd be her helping Mikey through the dance steps when Rex and Nicole had declared him invalid; or loving the dance video task and being devastated at hurting her hand; or standign up to Rex and other bullies by stating her opinion very clearly and refusing to back down.

Why the fence-sitting comments? Because the other HMs wanted to gossip and discuss popularity in the house in a thinly disguised attempt to discuss noms. She didn't feel that was appropriate, especially since it hurt the people up for eviction at the time.

She really didn't sit on the fence with any other issue and her 'fine that's your opinion' is the kind of thing I'd say myself. And the reason anyone would say that instead of arguing about it is because they really couldn't give a flying toss what the other ignorant people who don't know them think. She certainly wasn't totally vivacious and exciting, but she was far from the personalityless rice pudding (geddit? :-D) the HMs and Davina herself painted her as.

I'd have preferred Mikey to win because, despite his blindness giving him a sympathy vote, he was genuinely entertaining, quite a nice fellow underneath the crass jokes and was the only HM to make me laugh out loud not only the first time but also the 5th time I saw his Blind Water Chase with Rex and the Chickpea! Rachel impression.

Then I remember his fantastic embellishments to the spanking story he and Luke had to memorise, and yes he was great. He or Rex I'd have been happy with winning. Rex had a very caring side and after a while I realised he's a complete softy who is just very scared to get close to other people. Rachel, I'm not unhappy she won and it has the added advantage of making Luke furious enough to gesticulate like a prize tit in a display of bitter jealousy.

The interesting thing this year was the definite split between HMs who have hearts and HMs who are so shallow you couldn't even wash your fingernail clippings in them. If you wanted to, that is.

danielreal2k

Mikey has to have the last word  9.40
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsO1Xswn240[/youtube]

GoochDogHigh5s

danielreal2k

Quote from: GoochDogHigh5s on September 07, 2008, 06:52:09 PM
http://www.myspace.com/platinumdtheartist

Darnells new song Im Home

He put that together quick, although a track that consists of "shout outs" doesnt really do it for me

Small Man Big Horse

There's been some fun (if probably rubbish) stories in the tablods this week.

QuoteRANDY Darnell Swallow is being punished with a sex ban for his Big Bro romps with Sara Folino.

The albino rapper thanks his lucky stars that girlfriend Vanessa Grall, 23, still wants him at all. But he sighed: "Boy, am I in the doghouse! We haven't had any action in the bedroom since I left the house and, with the way things are, it's going to be a long while before we do.

"Vanessa has made her feelings pretty clear. She gave me what-for as soon as we were alone. Even my own mum told her to slap me! I'm counting my blessings that she is still with me. I've acted like an idiot." R&B singer Vanessa got no warning that the 26-year-old was going on the show. He told her he was off on holiday to Canada. And, when she saw him flirting with Sara, 27, it made things ten times worse. Darnell admitted: "I felt comfortable with Sara and enjoyed her company but it was just playful crap to pass the time.

"She used me to keep her profile up. I know she's going to be taking the Darnell-and-Sara thing even further over the next few weeks. But, trust me, I won't be a part of any of it. You won't see me pretending to be her boyfriend. I've got Vanessa and I want things to work out. I've got a lot of making-up to do."

Now this one confuses me, as Darnell constantly whined about how rubbish he is with women, when all the time he secretly had a girlfriend outside the house. And he seemed obsessed with Sara from the moment she went in, so why he is now rejecting her seems odd.

Now for some Rex bits:

QuoteBAD boy Rex Newmark got another slap in the face yesterday – this time from furious girlfriend Nicole.

And he could well get a second punch from Steph, after accusing her of being a "money-grabbing wannabe". Rex and Nicole put on a united front yesterday as they posed for a glossy magazine photoshoot. But as they drove away, the strain clearly showed. Nicole  bowed her head in the back of their limo. Rex denies enjoying steamy snogs with Steph after the Big Brother wrap party, claiming she had simply tried to set him up in a bid to stay in the public eye.

But furious Nicole gave him a slap, just a day after Steph had punched him at the boozy BB bash. A friend of the couple told us: "Obviously Nicole was not happy and slapped Rex for being so stupid. But she's prepared to put it all behind them. Everyone wants to stick their nose into Rex and Nicole's relationship, but they love each other and they will work through their problems."

Rex is furious over claims that he cheated with Steph. A pal told us: "He is convinced the entire thing was a set-up and she is just a a pathetic, money-grabbing wannabe. "She tried to kiss him when they went back to the hotel. Conveniently, someone was waiting with a camera. "It is clear Rex didn't have much of a choice, she had him in a headlock. Her desperation to be in the public eye has no limits."

And

Chef Rex, 24, has landed his own TV show, just as we exclusively revealed last month.

Filming has already begun capturing the sordid affair of the BB stars including the fall-out from 19-year-old Steph's saucy night with Rex. A crew, believed to be from BB makers Endemol for E4, is filming a fly-on-the-wall series about Rex and his wild family.

Rex will also tell all about his X-rated past, including flings he has enjoyed with babes from across the globe. The red-hot show, which will have to be screened after the watershed, will become essential viewing for Big Brother fans. And that is not the only TV spot cocky Rex is going to front – he has also landed his own cooking show. 

Rex's dad Robert revealed the news exclusively to the Daily Star. Speaking about the Osbournes-style show, he said: "It's been agreed and it's going to be very interesting and very different. It's another wacky family like the Osbournes. Family is family. You have got one f***ed-up family versus another f***ed-up family. We are very nicely f***ed-up." And confirming the news about his son's cooking show, he added: "It's absolutely happening.

"Rex is interesting in his own right and he is a fiery young guy who is a talented chef and dedicated to his art. I think that Rex will make very interesting television."

Telly bosses have had a bird's eye view of the shenanigans of the last week which has seen Rex and Nicole, 19, have another bust-up and claims he cheated on her with Steph, 19. Meanwhile, BB stars Mohamed Mohamed, 24, and Sylvia Barrie, 23 – who were both in the room on the night that Steph claimed she kissed Rex – said she had made the whole thing up. Mo told us: "Nothing happened in that room."  And Sylvia stormed: "Steph is pathetic. She never kissed Rex, she just says she has so she can earn some money."

Now the first one doesn't really interest me (though it's fairly amusing if true), but I'm surprised by the second. I thought there might be one spin off planned about him, but the cookery show is a surprise, unless it's on one of the obscure Sky Digital channels that no one watches.

Finally, here's one about Sara having fucked lots of famous people in the past:

QuoteBB finalist Sara has always said she's a party girl, but now, in a new interview (accompanied by shots of her in some saucy undies, natch) she's revealed the full extent of her wild side. The 27-year-old Aussie says she once had a six-month romance with another woman, and they even lived together – how terribly Lohan. However, she says she's not bisexual – she just likes trying new things. Sara's also revealed that she's terrified a sex tape of her and another ex (a male one – sorry, boys) will get leaked on the internet, and says she nearly died when she was a teenager after getting into drugs and alcohol from the age of 13. But most intriguingly of all for those of us hungry for celeb gossip (so that'll be all of us, then), Sara says she's had flings with a number of famous men including (in order of famousness) Enqrique Iglesias, Maroon 5's Adam Levine, Preston from The Ordinary Boys (and he didn't propose to her? Shocking!) and MTV's Tim Kash. Well well, well, she's a dark horse, isn't she?

Which is, well, fair enough I guess.

As for Rachel...Er, bar a "My Story" (which was as dull as you might expect) she's not appeared at all, and is reportedly shunning the whole media thang and plans to live quietly back in Wales again.

Ja'moke

Good for Rachel. I have no interest in the housemates after they've left the house, those that continue to seek publicity at any cost just irritate and even if they were housemates I like it begins to put me off them. I have much more respect for those than can just walk away and say "I had my three months on tele, that's enough for me".

Small Man Big Horse

I always enjoy the tabloid crap for the first week or two once they leave the house, but after that I lose interest - I'll catch tonight's "Since They Left The House" show on C4, but after that they'll inevitably fade from memory.

Edit: That said, I did have a sudden urge to find out what happened to BB7's Pete Bennett, and found this:

QuotePete's published his autobiography, written some tunes with Guy Chambers and spent many an evening DJing at London club, Circus since his time in Big Brother. His debut single was released in March and he's been touring the land ever since. Rumour has it he's also turned his hand to making puppets of late.

Puppets of course being the obvious way to attain fame again...

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 12, 2008, 01:41:12 PM
I always enjoy the tabloid crap for the first week or two once they leave the house, but after that I lose interest - I'll catch tonight's "Since They Left The House" show on C4, but after that they'll inevitably fade from memory.

Just a quick head's up as this is on now, it's fairly interesting as it's a lot more critical than these things normally are, and is made by a wannabe Jon Ronson type. Mario really hasn't come out of it well so far.

Jaffit

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 12, 2008, 10:10:18 PM
Just a quick head's up as this is on now, it's fairly interesting as it's a lot more critical than these things normally are, and is made by a wannabe Jon Ronson type. Mario really hasn't come out of it well so far.

Yes this is actually quite good. Can't make out if the presenter is any good or just really annoying, but he is asking exactly the type of questions Davina should ask if she wasnt such a vacant twat.

Housemates are coming out of it terribly.

Small Man Big Horse

He's a sardonic so and so, but I quite like the way he's presenting it, and like you say, he's asking the questions Davina should have. Some of it is a little forced - his asking Bex and Luke's sister if they want a McDonald's as the results for Luke's eviction show were coming in especially, but it's by far the most enjoyable one of these shows that they've made so far.

papalaz4444244

QuoteChef Rex, 24, has landed his own TV show, just as we exclusively revealed last month.

Filming has already begun capturing the sordid affair of the BB stars including the fall-out from 19-year-old Steph's saucy night with Rex. A crew, believed to be from BB makers Endemol for E4, is filming a fly-on-the-wall series about Rex and his wild family.

Rex will also tell all about his X-rated past, including flings he has enjoyed with babes from across the globe. The red-hot show, which will have to be screened after the watershed, will become essential viewing for Big Brother fans. And that is not the only TV spot cocky Rex is going to front – he has also landed his own cooking show.

Rex's dad Robert revealed the news exclusively to the Daily Star. Speaking about the Osbournes-style show, he said: "It's been agreed and it's going to be very interesting and very different. It's another wacky family like the Osbournes. Family is family. You have got one f***ed-up family versus another f***ed-up family. We are very nicely f***ed-up." And confirming the news about his son's cooking show, he added: "It's absolutely happening.

"Rex is interesting in his own right and he is a fiery young guy who is a talented chef and dedicated to his art. I think that Rex will make very interesting television."

In other words, he had signed up with Endemol while he was in the house then received their protection until the final exactly like Nikki Retard. Why do we watch this show?

Artemis

Another thumbs up for the show tonight. The guy won me over with his utter cynicism for all things BB, to the point that by the end credits, when they showed the line up of BB9 contestants, he'd made them all look like utter cocks. It was refreshing surprise from the standard self-congratulatory triumphalism this sort of thing provides.

It was quite a bleak insight though, wasn't it. I imagined Bex to be surrounded by family and friends, perhaps one or two journalists, as she awaited the news of Luke's eviction. To see her shacked up in some dodgy motel with his sister was supremely satisfying. 

Artemis

This made me angry.

Quote from: The SunWE would like to make clear Big Brother contestant Alexandra De Gale was not issued with a six-month restraining order by Croydon Magistrates, has never physically threatened former colleague Laura Barnes or any of her family and is not involved in a relationship with Courtney Hutchinson nor any other member of the PDC gang as we reported on June 7.

We apologise for the mistake.

"Mistake"?? You mean either made up, or deliberately avoiding checking up on somebody's attempt to cash in. Fuck me, that paper's not worth the paper it's written on.