Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:11:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Big Brother 9

Started by Neil, April 23, 2008, 09:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

Quote from: Artemis on May 13, 2008, 12:03:37 AM
Better than last years', agreed. Still, a bit prickly though, no?

Last year, the trailers had awesome graphics, but the credits to the show were awfully amateurish. I hope that's changed this year.

EDIT: That Daily Star stuff... if they're looking at re-jigging nominations then I'll not be complaining. Each year it becomes the dullest and most predictable part of the show and it needs a pretty drastic overhaul in my opinion. Oh, and haven't they done a 'head of house' thing before? I seem to remember them doing something pretty similar in season two or three.

Yeah the nominations needs a change, there needs to be a way to get the dull housemates who just lay in bed all day but somehow avoid being nominated, up for eviction.

And yeah I think they may have done a one off head of household in BB4, can't remember what actually happened though, but let's face it nothing in BB4 really worked.

If they do use HOH I don't think it will be exactly like the US version, in BBUSA the HOH nominates two people for eviction and then at the end of the week the rest of the housemates vote on which one to evict. Ours will be tied in with the public vote somehow I would imagine.

Ja'moke

The official schedules are now out for Big Brother:

June 1st and June 2nd:
Quote9:00pm BIG BROTHER: THE AUDITIONS
Brand New: As Big Brother 2008 gets ready to roll, this show offers viewers an exclusive look behind the scenes at this year's nationwide audition tour. As Big Brother takes to the road in search of the next bunch of housemates to enter the Big Brother house, this show, the first part of two, lifts the lid on the secretive selection process, as the Big Brother producers travel across the UK and Ireland hunting for housemates. This year Big Brother enlisted some former stars of the show to help them spot the housemates from the hopeless. Former housemate Nikki Graham turns the airwaves blue as she appears on live radio in Manchester publicising the auditions. And fellow ex-housemate Charley, finally meets her match in one of the hopefuls at the London auditions.

9:00pm BIG BROTHER: MORE AUDITIONS
Brand New: As Big Brother 2008 gets ready to roll, this show, the second of two, offers viewers an exclusive look behind the scenes at this year's nationwide audition tour. As Big Brother takes to the road in search of the next bunch of housemates to enter the Big Brother house, this show lifts the lid on the secretive selection process, as the Big Brother producers travel across the UK and Ireland hunting for housemates. The end is in sight for the lucky housemate hopefuls still in the race to become a housemate. But, standing between them and a place in the house is their biggest test so far....a diary room with Big Brother. Also, we get up close and personal with some of the winning wannabees still in the running, as our cameras follow them home after their auditions and we find out even more about some of the top contenders for a coveted place in the house.

June 5th:
Quote9:00pm - 10:40pm BIG BROTHER LAUNCH SHOW
Davina McCall, the queen of Big Brother, is back to host this summer's biggest reality programme. Tonight, direct from the house, Davina will exclusively introduce this year's housemates as they enter the newly-designed house. So who are they? And how many of them will there be? All will be revealed as Davina introduces viewers to the new occupants of the most famous house in Britain. Plus viewers will get an exclusive first-look tour of the housemate's new home and a sneak-peek of things to come. Series Prod: Denis O'Connor; Exec Prod: Sharon Powers; Prod Co: Brighter Pictures (an Endemol company)

10:40pm - 11:45pm THE BIG BROTHER LAUNCH NIGHT PROJECT
Justin Lee Collins and Alan Carr front a special Big Brother Launch Night Project , joined by a collection of Big Brother guest hosts to celebrate the start of Big Brother 9. Ex-housemates from across the years will present different parts of the show, which will be all about the world of Big Brother . Justin and Alan pay a visit to the Big Brother house and the housemates take part in the usual sketches, hidden camera stunts and games. Prod Co: Princess Productions

E4 11:40pm BIG BROTHER'S BIG MOUTH
Broadcast in the shadow of the Big Brother house after the Channel 4 launch show, Big Brother's Big Mouth i s an adrenaline-fuelled and instantly reactive discussion show for the most passionate Big Brother fans to voice their opinions. A series of celebrity guest presenters will preside over events throughout the series, alongside celebrity guests. This energetic studio debate show also allows viewers at home to call in and say what they really think of this year's new housemates.

I'm hoping for a good series this year, the adverts are quite intriguing with all the shattered glass and distorted music and with the rumours of a more competitive series, I'm really looking forward to it.

Artemis

If anyone would like to join me on Friday 13th for the first official eviction night, I've bagged a couple of tickets for it. At the very least we could sneak in [banned troll] masks and shout "coons" when Davina asks for quiet at time of the announcement.

Ja'moke

Have you ever been to a live show before? I'd be put off by the usual mob that goes there, the type that boo every slightly good looking woman for no real reason, other than they are better looking than them. That would be quite a restricted view to take in any other circumstance but when it comes to the live BB crowd, it is very true.

By the way the adverts are great this year, the noises remind me of Lost:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1mQrswQm7w&fmt=18[/youtube]

Artemis

No I've never been to a live show before, but I'm going to go, if only to see what it's like. I turned down a ticket to the launch night thinking I wasn't going to be able to go, only to later find I could have gone, grrr. Probably better to watch that one at home anyway.

Those adverts (well, that one) look great! Really impressed by that. Let's hope they use the same idea in the credits.

Braintree

Did anyone audition this year? I don't even remember hearing about the auditions. I keep threatening people that one day I will audition and see what happens but never do.

Ja'moke

The only way I'd ever audition for Big Brother is if they scrapped the public vote and it became a game show like the American version. As it is right now, an 'unpopularity' contest, I would never do it. But if the aim was to play the game, not only would that be enjoyable but I truly believe I could lie, backstab and manipulate everyone in the house and make it to the final week, but if you did that in the series as it is now you'd be detested.

Also kind of on topic as it is reality TV, why did ITV ever cancel Survivor? I remember it didn't quite get the 10 million plus viewers they were hoping for, but it still regularly got over 4 million and beat BB2 in the ratings a hell of a lot. They never really gave the show a chance, seeing as the format is so simple but so compelling and it is probably one of the best competitive reality shows ever, it seems strange that no other channel tried to pick it up after ITV canceled it. With Big Brother on the down slide, especially if BB9 is a flop, Survivor could be reinvented by Channel 4 because they need a big new show, Big Brother was their baby, it's what provides the most ratings for the Channel, but as last year proved it's not the big money maker that it once was. And with phone-in 'talent' shows becoming increasingly boring and predictable, the same tired formula, laugh at the losers, then bring on a sob story, those shows are going to quickly die out, last years X Factor's ratings were down and the winner was an embarrassment. More competitive reality shows are needed in the UK in my opinion, shows like Survivor and why the hell haven't we done a version of The Amazing Race?!

Emma Raducanu

Must admit I did watch the first series of Survivor and enjoyed it. The one where Charlotte won? The thing with that programme was that generally the people on it were okay, ie they weren't all on it for fame/attention/celeb status chasing and the premis presumably attracted a more modest/normal type of person. By series 10 or whatever it would have been by now, it'd probably just be a collection of Charlies and Ziggys, so it's for the best probably, that it has gone.

Borboski

But the nature of the challenges was such that they'd just have failed immediately - or they would have triumphed over adversity in a way that would be quite interesting.  Imagine if someone like Science or that thick fucking northern girl from Stockport whose tits fell out having to go without food/stand on the bench for hours, etc.

drberbatov

Quote from: Ja'moke on May 26, 2008, 12:09:59 AM
More competitive reality shows are needed in the UK in my opinion, shows like Survivor and why the hell haven't we done a version of The Amazing Race?!

It would be easier for British TV execs. to reinvent something like 'The Krypton Factor' if they wanted to, it has the familiarity and the nostalgic appeal that has probably drew viewers to the new series of Gladiators on Sky One. I don't think 'The Amazing Race' would work too well unless they expanded it to take in Europe

Ja'moke

Quote from: DolphinFace on May 26, 2008, 07:45:33 AM
Must admit I did watch the first series of Survivor and enjoyed it. The one where Charlotte won?

I think Charlotte won the first one yeah. Must admit I didn't see much of the series, but I have seen a couple of the American versions, the first season and the season with Boston Rob and those were brilliant and I don't see why we couldn't make just as good as series in the UK.

QuoteThe thing with that programme was that generally the people on it were okay, ie they weren't all on it for fame/attention/celeb status chasing and the premis presumably attracted a more modest/normal type of person. By series 10 or whatever it would have been by now, it'd probably just be a collection of Charlies and Ziggys, so it's for the best probably, that it has gone.

You really think it would go that way?

I'm not so sure because Survivor is much more challenging than Big Brother, I couldn't see someone like Charley been able to hack it in the jungle, finding her own food, creating fire, building shelter etc. I think Survivor attracts a different type of person. Hence why it's still going in America after 16 series and is still one of the most successful reality shows.

Quote from: drberbatov on May 26, 2008, 10:56:12 AM
It would be easier for British TV execs. to reinvent something like 'The Krypton Factor' if they wanted to, it has the familiarity and the nostalgic appeal that has probably drew viewers to the new series of Gladiators on Sky One. I don't think 'The Amazing Race' would work too well unless they expanded it to take in Europe

What do you mean by taking in Europe? As in allow contestants from all over Europe? That would be really cool actually.

Ja'moke

New house pictures have been released, can view them here http://www.insidebigbrother.net/news/bb9/prebb/house-pictures-released.php

I like it, it definitely seems bigger than previous years which is a good thing. There is only eight beds and eight seats around the dining table though and supposedly there is meant to be sixteen housemates entering on launch night. So there could be some type of team v team thing, that would play in to this rumoured 'war and order' theme.

Artemis

Cor, the bathroom looks lovely! The rest of it? Meh, not too impressed to be honest. It still looks like it's trying too hard to be 'funky' and 'in vogue' while failing at both of them. Why does the bathroom look so nice but the bedroom look so rubbish? I'm sure all will be answered soon enough.

EDIT: Really like the diary room door, though.

EDIT 2: New promo shots of Davina... can anyone say "airbrush"? Still, you would though, wouldn't you.

DocDaneeka

Quote from: Artemis on May 27, 2008, 07:49:02 AMEDIT 2: New promo shots of Davina... can anyone say "airbrush"? Still, you would though, wouldn't you.
Punch her repeatedly in the face? Yes.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Artemis on May 27, 2008, 07:49:02 AM
Cor, the bathroom looks lovely! The rest of it? Meh, not too impressed to be honest. It still looks like it's trying too hard to be 'funky' and 'in vogue' while failing at both of them. Why does the bathroom look so nice but the bedroom look so rubbish? I'm sure all will be answered soon enough.

The bathroom looks the worst in my opinion, very tacky. I think the kitchen is great and the garden is a good size this year with a decent pool. The basic bedroom is good because it means the housemates won't want to be in there all the time, like last years bunch who spent most of the time sleeping. There are only eight beds and eight seats on the dining table though, so I'm sure there are other rooms that we haven't been shown yet.

Backstage With Slowdive

How much money has Paul Oakenfold made from that theme tune?

Artemis

Quote from: Ja'moke on May 27, 2008, 02:34:15 PM
The bathroom looks the worst in my opinion, very tacky.

Yeah, but... two sinks! Er... golden décor! Er... some kind of bird on the taps!

I know nothing about class. I'm so sorry.

GoochDogHigh5s

Call me old fashioned but who the hell are George Lamb and Zezi Ifore?

I love BB, although it aint cool to say so and this thread is always most entertaining.In some ways its better than the shows.

This really is BB's last chance though.

Maybe if they really fuck it up, we can have a BB greatest Hits with the best contestants form the previous Series

Science,Dan and Anna would walk into that

Ja'moke

Big Brother Allstars should definitely happen at some stage and I'm sure it will. It will only work though if they get a good mix of housemates from every series, filling it with a bunch of idiots from the most recent series would be a disaster. I'd like to see a housemate like Helen have to deal with a housemate like say Nikki or Makosi.

Thing is, as the housemates have done it before and a lot of them actually know each other in the real world, it could mean they just sit around talking about their so called 'fame' for three months. Big Brother Allstars in America was a bit like this, the housemates were very smug with themselves and it wasn't quite the same as when they were originally in it, but of course BBUSA been more of a game show it was still fun to watch for that aspect, plus it had Dr Will back in it. But with our series not having a game play element, bringing old housemates back may seem pointless.

Emma Raducanu

I hope there are no secret rooms. I hate secret rooms, they're not nice.

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: DolphinFace on May 28, 2008, 01:04:17 PM

Grew up in Austria, did we?

Ja'moke

Quote from: DolphinFace on May 28, 2008, 01:04:17 PM

Well there is no secret house this year, so that is a good thing. But by 'secret rooms' I was simply referring to rooms we haven't yet been shown in the pictures, but that will be revealed on launch night. There has to be another bedroom because 12/14/16 beds will not fit in the bedroom that is shown.

Kazuo Kiriyama

Quote from: Ja'moke on May 28, 2008, 12:08:34 PM
Big Brother Allstars should definitely happen at some stage and I'm sure it will.

Rumour has always said BB10 would be the Allstar edition, which would be perfect as the first Davina-less series, a nice one-off bridge between relaunching it as a completely re-jigged BB11 the following year or ending it altogether on a wacky high. But only if Victor is in there.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Kazuo Kiriyama on May 28, 2008, 06:03:47 PM
Rumour has always said BB10 would be the Allstar edition, which would be perfect as the first Davina-less series, a nice one-off bridge between relaunching it as a completely re-jigged BB11 the following year or ending it altogether on a wacky high. But only if Victor is in there.

Oh you'd have to have Victor in Allstars, he is quite simply the greatest housemate ever. He played the game, was funny, quite naive at times and really made Big Brother 5.

Other housemates you'd have to have in an Allstar series, Makosi, Alex, Michelle, Anna, Jon Tickle (if he'd do it that is) and Science.

I wouldn't want any winners in, as apart from Brian in Big Brother 2 I don't think any of the winners were really that entertaining. Anthony, Pete, Nadia...don't fancy seeing any of them again.

How these 'Allstars' would be selected though would probably be quite controversial. I think if it was all down to the producers it may just be a bunch of Endemol favourites like Nikki and Jade etc (no way should Jade ever grace our TV screens again and especially not on Big Brother). I think to make it fair the producers would choose so many, but viewers should be allowed to vote for free online for their favourites to return. Then there's always the question of would any of them want to return, which for the most part I'd assume is YES, most would jump at the chance to be on TV again, I could only maybe think of Alison, Jon Tickle, maybe Brian (BB2) and Cameron not wanting to do it again and maybe some of the Big Brother 4 lot but not that really matters.

Cog Sinister

Quote from: Backstage With Slowdive on May 06, 2008, 11:07:09 PM
The only remaining option to make BB interesting is to have Mark E.Smith on the Celebrity version.

They did ask Billy Childish a few years back.  This produced the entirely predictable 'you're only asking because I once went out with Tracy Emin, now fuck off' type response.

Artemis

Fuck BB All Stars, I'd just have Science and Maxwell locked in a house where eviction wasn't possible and the doors were all locked.

Braintree

There was a rumour that Derek was going to do a Love Thy Neighbour show but with white chavvy neighbours. I really wanted them to do a Odd Couple style sitcom with Derek and Science. It would have been so good

Kazuo Kiriyama

Quote from: Braintree on May 29, 2008, 05:58:39 AM
There was a rumour that Derek was going to do a Love Thy Neighbour show but with white chavvy neighbours.

That actually turned up on youtube, but it's shot so amateurishly, it's hard to know what to make of it. It's certainly never anything that was properly commissioned.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=W7oyBbmyI68

The youtube page says it's part of a sketch show callled "U Kno Wot I Mean," possibly the worst title for anything ever, and there's more info about that there -> http://www.airedale.tv/U-Kno-Wot-I-Mean/

Ja'moke

Some positive news from executive producer Phil Edgar-Jones who says in regards to BB9,

Quote"We've told the housemates it will be full-on and there will be no leeway," he said. "We're getting tougher on wannabes and on the causes of wannabes. We've been very careful with casting this year and there are some characters of the like you've never seen before. These are not your typical screaming wannabes but people with a bit of depth, from different backgrounds. We want conflict but we don't want endless shouting."

Can we finally get a good, diverse mix of housemates? Let's hope so.

JesusAndYourBush

Quotecharacters of the like you've never seen before

Oh dear.